Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

Spot on, I also think it best to go for someone who has worked on the big screen as I am not sure they need a repeat of PB (sorry to upset fans) but if they are going for the edgy, dark feel, I am not sure that TV can produce the right environment. Layer Cake was just perfect as a pre-Bond outing. So need to be looking at movies like this. As someone who likes a flutter, I have been looking for websites where you can lay these bets as I would be happy to take anyone's money who is betting on Hardy, Cavill etc
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Unbelievable. I just learned that Daniel Craig is now OLDER than Sean Connery was when he starred in Diamonds are forever. How'd that happen?
    Time for the series to revisit its Connery roots. He was cruel, but with the right amount of wit. He wasn't an overly fussy Bond like Moore. He didn't connect with his feelings like Dalton, wasn't as cartoonish as Brosnan, nor plagued with Craig's demons.

Women tended not to be walking signposts for equality and political correctness. Stories were stand alone. MI6 wasn't in constant turmoil.

Time to remember the Bond that started it all.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If SF is Craig's GF
    And SP is Craig's TB
    Then B25 will be Craig's YOLT?
    I like YOLT :D

Let me tell you, I can not wait for the next time 2 armies will fight again in a Bond film. It has been far to long if you ask me. :!!
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Time for the series to revisit its Connery roots. He was cruel, but with the right amount of wit. He wasn't an overly fussy Bond like Moore. He didn't connect with his feelings like Dalton, wasn't as cartoonish as Brosnan, nor plagued with Craig's demons.

Women tended not to be walking signposts for equality and political correctness. Stories were stand alone. MI6 wasn't in constant turmoil.

Would be nice. They need the female audience though so some things are here to stay I suspect.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Getafix wrote: »

Would be nice. They need the female audience though so some things are here to stay I suspect.

Shame.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2015 Posts: 13,882

Barry Nelson?

Alright then. ;)
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138

Barry Nelson?

Alright then. ;)

I can't agree. Bond should always move forward MI6 the BSS which was aligned to the navy no longer exists having been replaced by SIS it's own standalone agency. You simply couldn't get away with Bond placing his hands over women, forcefully kissing them and treating them as sex objects anymore. The franchise has been rejuvinated because Dan's Bond is human, believeable and have drawn in a new audience as a result. Fans who never previously enjoyed Bind films but enjoyed franchises like Bourne and Taken are now Bond fans. The films are breaking records, getting bigger budgets and attracting A list Oscar winning actors. Why would you fix something that is not broken?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Bond fans are just selfish and think it's there for just them.

There is no way in hell Bond will go back to be the chauvinist he was, yes he'll always be a bit sexist but not on the level he was in the Connery - Moore era.

Plus he's not a museum piece, the character has to move with the times. These directions that the character has taken have paid off in dividends, just because some Dalton fans aren't happy with the short blond, ugly actor that is playing their hero now is not a gauge of the success of the character.

Some of you need to realise that maybe this will never gravitate back to what you once liked about the character, it's painful I'm sure but maybe Bond is just not for you anymore the way's it's presented now.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2015 Posts: 13,882
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Plus he's not a museum piece, the character has to move with the times. These directions that the character has taken have paid off in dividends, just because some Dalton fans aren't happy with the short blond, ugly actor that is playing their hero now is not a gauge of the success of the character.

Why are Dalton fans being singled out? I don't like Craig in the role, which i'm pretty sure isn't a crime, but every other Dalton fan here does like Craig, I think.
    I think there's a case for the female characters being a bit more diverse actually. The 'Bond woman' thing has become such a cliche. Every actress says 'my character is different this time because this time she's feisty and kicks ass' etc. What a bore! They're all actually tediously similar.

Why not have a few genuine damsels in distress, a good old fashioned temptress, and some serious rounded female characters as well. That has the potential to satisfy everyone.
    Agreed , have we ever seen a female agent who was Bond's equal?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    patb wrote: »

Camille in QoS was pretty damn close.

• DariusDarius UK
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think there's a case for the female characters being a bit more diverse actually. The 'Bond woman' thing has become such a cliche. Every actress says 'my character is different this time because this time she's feisty and kicks ass' etc. What a bore! They're all actually tediously similar.

Why not have a few genuine damsels in distress, a good old fashioned temptress, and some serious rounded female characters as well. That has the potential to satisfy everyone.
    patb wrote: »

The last "real" woman we got was Vesper in CR.

She was assertive without resorting to being (to use the F word) feisty. She wasn't a karate chopping kick-ass daddy-wanted-a-boy amazon that could shoot the eye out of a target at a hundred metres while doing the splits and juggling chainsaws. No, she drew strength from her vulnerability and used her beauty as a weapon more effectively than any man could use a gun. Not only this, her main strength was her intelligence and spirit.

In my opinion, this puts her above Bond in terms of strength of character and that is one of the over-riding themes of CR, which is Bond learning from Vesper that it's not all about knowing how to kill -- it's about knowing how to live.

CR was a success in part down to the fact that it successfully delivered the very human message to women that it's okay to be vulnerable and feminine, because in many ways this is far superior to violent physicality. After CR, women wanted to be more like Vesper -- she was a new feminine role model.

It's a pity that Eon didn't see fit to elaborate on this and incorporate it into later movies, preferring instead to resort to the old "feisty and kick's ass along with Bond" cliché.

What transpires as far as feminine role models in SP remains to be seen, but on the information we have today, I'm not holding my breath.
    I'm bored of every new Bond girl saying there part is unlike all parts before because they are strong, complex blah blah yawn. It's said every time. What we need is variety. Complex intriguing intelligent bond girls like Vesper, but also femme fatales, bimbos and sluts.....variety just like life.
    Bond films have been filled with plenty of ridiculous women such as Holly Goodhead, Stacey Sutton, and Christmas Jones. As played by barely credible actresses, these characters are caricatures of successful and independent women. No, Bond doesn't have to return to slapping women and treating them as if they are Beaver's mother. The most memorable women from the series for me are Tracey and Vesper. If a female James Bond is needed, then create that character and give her own series. What has become a cliche' is a women who must sport balls as large as any man's. I like to see tough, smart women who aren't trying to compete with Bond.

• ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Barbara will ask her pool boy to take the part. She'll toss him a pair of clearly too small trunks and tell him to jump in and then slowly come out. The part will be his
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,416
    Darius wrote: »

The secret behind choosing the next Bond, I think, is to choose an obscure actor whose career has been spent largely under the radar of the mainstream viewing public. Not only this, but he also needs to be under the radar of the vast majority of Bond fans, the like of which populate this site.

Domhnall Gleeson already been cast as first red hair Bond and his father wil play a villian in his 3th Bond film.

What do you think you won as Harry Potter actor from Daniel (Radcliffe) playing part of James Bond ?
    tumblr_ma5lcs02QH1qcvfyjo3_250.gif
    Bond will never be a ginger.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,020
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Bond will never be a ginger.

Of course, Bond will never be blond as well.

If Barbara has the hots for a ginger next time, he'll get the role.
    Blonde is deemed attractive. Ginger is to a minority. Ginger hair also usually means pale white skin.....007 bright red in the bahamas. Nope.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Bump. After seeing Spectre, what do we think?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Scale it back. Go thriller. Go mission only. Go small.

Slash the budget at least in half.

Focus on character interactions. Dialogue.

Put the next director in a room and force him to watch FRWL, DN & CR on loop for a few days. Then let him out and get him to work.
    bondjames wrote: »

Put the next director in a room and force him to watch FRWL, DN & CR on loop for a few days. Then let him out and get him to work.

This wont happen if Craig is doing one more.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Tuck91 wrote: »

This wont happen if Craig is doing one more.
    You're probably right. I wasn't sure what the thread title meant. If it's post-Craig, then what I outlined earlier is what I would prefer. If it's Craig, then I'd still want this, but recognize that SP2 is more likely rather than a change in tone.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,425

Yep.

Is it wrong of me that I watched a dodgy Liam Neeson flick recently (Run All Night or something) and actually really enjoyed it and thought "the dialogue and acting in this is actually better than your average Bond movie"? I guess it did have Ed Harris in it, so something had to work.

I'd love to see a stripped back, relatively low budget Bond movie. Focus on locations, one or two nice sets and minimal CGI. But with an excellent story and script and tight direction. Not too long. Something that moves along at a decent pace and doesn't outstay it's welcome.

Good strategy.
    I dont think, DC is insisting of making Spectre 2, when audiences are not connecting the way they thought. Good thing is, he CAN do it all, so it wouldnt be a problem to so, what you suggested.
    Didn't you think Run All Night was a bit too similar to the plot of Road to Perdition, @Getafix?