Classic Film Stars Recast as James Bond Villians

Comments

• BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CAModerator
    That is great. Or Harold Lloyd as Elvis.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger regnifrednuhT
    Oh yes.

Johnny Weissmuller as Dario.

Buster Crabbe as Felix Leiter.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Take that:

Elvis as Elvis.
    All the above are great!
    edited October 2015 Posts: 34,676

Johnny Weissmuller as Dario.

Come to think of it, Weissmuller could have been Bond in Octopussy as well.

Also: Max Schrek as Kronsteen.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,168
    Brighton Rock's Richard Attenborough as Elvis.
    Peter Lorre as Kronsteen

I liked the suggestion of Richard Burton as Janus but I'd also suggest James Mason (apparently an early possibility for Bond much like Sean Bean was).

Errol Flynn as Gustav Graves (who else!??)
    Oliver Reed as Brad Whitaker
    @BAIN123 , I have never scene BRIGHTEN ROCK, but I want to stress that Richard Attenborough was an internationally recognized actor and director since the '40s.

All strong suggestions. Oliver Reed would have turned Whitaker into a truly terrifying character, though he came of age a little to late for this exercise.
    Yes, I know who Attenborough was. I meant him as the character he played in BR (or on similar lines). The idea of him being a thuggish sinister figure may have made him more memorable than the Elvis we had.
  • DariusDarius UK
    edited October 2015 Posts: 354
    How about Clark Gable as "Pistols" Scaramanga? I do believe the role was originally intended for Jack Palance.

Richard Burton had been originally considered for the role of Bond, although as a villain, I think he could have been a good foil for Bond as either Silva or Blofeld.

Another good one, I think, would be Elizabeth Taylor as Solitaire.
    Darius wrote: »
    How about Clark Gable as "Pistols" Scaramanga?

That is an extremely cool idea!
    Another good one, I think, would be Elizabeth Taylor as Solitaire.

A young Elizabeth Taylor, yes. Yes indeed.
    Marilyn Monroe as Mary Goodnight?

Actually, she MIGHT work as Honey Ryder.
    Groucho Marx as R.
    Peter Sellers as R?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    If it's Marilyn Monroe, after seeing her in Some Like It Hot, I can't imagine her in anything outside that role. Sort of a comedic pin-up girl. I know, I've seen her dramatic performances, especially her penultimate film, The Misfits, but it's still Sugar Kane I see when someone mentions Monroe as an actress.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 34,676
    Charles Middleton as Dr No.

Lyle Talbot as Dent.
    Leo McKern as Le Chiffre. Hugo Drax I could see him being played by James Mason or... Robert Shaw (when he was older).

For Blofeld, had he become an actor (like he was headed to) instead of a priest I always thought of Karol Wojtyla. Okay, I am cheating, but he had everything to become a classic film star. Too handsome for Blofeld, maybe? Still, in OHMSS, I can so easily see him instead of Savalas.
    If popes are fair game, then Benedict as Mr White.
    If popes are fair game, then Benedict as Mr White.

I mentioned JP II because he studied acting and got pretty close to become a professional actor. In fact, if I am not mistaken one of the stage directors he worked with was furious when he learned about Wojtyla becoming a priest.
  • DariusDarius UK
    I always thought Steve McQueen would have made a good Felix Leiter, as would Jack Lemmon.

Tony Curtis as Leiter pitched up against Moore's Bond would have brought back some of the chemistry seen in The Persuaders!

Another good contender for Scaramanga would be Robert Mitchum.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "Better cold with them on, than dead with them off, I always say."Moderator
    Another good contender for Scaramanga would be Robert Mitchum.

I like the suggestion someone made for Mitchum as Red Grant. For Scaramanga, how about Charles Bronson?
    I always thought Steve McQueen would have made a good Felix Leiter, as would Jack Lemmon.

Tony Curtis as Leiter pitched up against Moore's Bond would have brought back some of the chemistry seen in The Persuaders!

I like all of those ideas.
    Wouldn't it have been a little too gimmicky to have Curtis and Moore paired up? A bit like having 2 Bond actors in one film.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 27,292
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it have been a little too gimmicky to have Curtis and Moore paired up? A bit like having 2 Bond actors in one film.

I wouldn't go that far, that would take actually having two Bond actors in one film (and I certainly never want o see any former Bond actor to return in any other role in a Bond film). I guess the reason the Moore/Curtis thing doesn't seem odd to me is because I've never actually seen an episode of THE PERSUADERS, so I don't get that weird vibe.
    Neither have I actually, but I do know that the two were together. Also, during the Moore era I'm pretty sure The Persuaders would still have been in fairly recent memory.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Henry Silva needed to be a Bond villain somewhere.
  • DariusDarius UK
    A obvious one here. It's not a villain, but how about Laurence Olivier as M? It's the sort of small role that classic veteran actors (such as Judi Dench) would relish in their later years. Olivier would certainly draw the box office crowd.

Another good contender for M would be Orson Welles.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "Better cold with them on, than dead with them off, I always say."Moderator
    With this intimidating presence, and quietly menacing voice, Oliver Reed as Grant.
    Or Oliver Reed (late 30s) as an extremely dark and brooding James Bond.
  • JNOJNO Finland
    Vincent Price as Max Zorin (or any other villain)
    James Mason as Hugo Drax
    Lee Marvin as Scaramanga
    Charles Bronson as Oddjob
    Peter Ustinov as Stromberg
    Marty Feldman & Peter Sellers as Wint & Kidd
    Ernest Borgnine as Goldfinger

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Station B, Belgium
    Thunderball
    Domino => Claudia Cardinale
    Fiona => Liv Ullmann
    Largo => Alain Delon
    Leiter => Gregory Peck