Music in SPECTRE

Comments

• SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    aaron819 wrote: »
    I LOVE IT !!! IT"S DIFFERENT

Is it? Really? Maybe I'm wrong, but my ears are not really hearing a massive evolution from Skyfall's score here! I'm not saying good or bad at this stage, but...

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I really like the flute rendition at the end of the track.

Bond has lost Hinx in the chase, and takes a few seconds to calm Swann down with a quip. Nice.
    Regarding reusing the Skyfall cue: does anyone complain when Zimmer reuses action themes from Batman Begins in The Dark Knight Rises?
    I will say this. Those that like Newman in general or SF in particular are almost certainly going to really like this music...Obviously. Which is my point.

And conversely those that don't like Newman or his SF stuff are most likely just not going to like his style for SP either. In the bigger picture, he has little reason to change. Love it or hate it, SF was huge and its soundtrack sold better (even without Adele's song) than any since TLD, iirc. The film and the score has many younger fans that were introduced to Bond thru that film. So retaining that approach is inevitable. And commercially smart.

To me Newman is extremely consistent and though his style has evolved over the years, he still retains what many love about his music. This sounds awesome to me, but it is very much what I expected. So no shock or surprise. But different in spots as well. Which is cool.

I honestly can't see why it would be that surprising that it DOES sound similar - not talking about reusing the music directly from SF. I agree with the poster who likened that part as kind of Newman's own internal Bond music he can carry thru from one film to the next.

I would guess the rest of the score is going to be completely Newman-esque and similar to SF even with the larger orchestra and budget. But also hopefully unique in a few spot. Perhaps Mexico?

So if you are hoping for something different, I would say you will be disappointed. If you like these tracks you'll probably love it. Sounds redundant to say, but that is mostly how our reactions will fall. But who knows, maybe a few who were not big fans of the SF soundtrack might just like what they hear this time around.

There will never be another Barry, we all agree on that, but Newman is one heck of a composer in my book.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited October 2015 Posts: 3,157
    Looking at the track list...
    if that was 'Backfire' I guess this is the music for the Rome car chase
    Yeah, that was my first thought as well.
    It makes sense since one of the trailers or the tv spots
    showed Bond's car throwing fire to another car behind him.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    antovolk wrote: »
    Regarding reusing the Skyfall cue: does anyone complain when Zimmer reuses action themes from Batman Begins in The Dark Knight Rises?

Answer: nope

Answer: nope

Precisely.
  • RC7RC7

After three years of listening to the SF, it surprised me to hear a distinctive cue replicated in SP. I was expecting something fresh and new. It started relatively generically, but when the choir kicked in my expectation shot up. When Grand Bazaar was then played out in full my heart sank. TDK trilogy cues are all there for a very specific emotive or narrative reason. Hopefully it's inclusion in this track serves a similar purpose, in which case I can warm to it.

The other reason I am underwhelmed is because...
    This is the car chase score. When it was first revealed about this chase my immediate thought was, 'can't wait to hear the score for it'. I have a playlist of car chase/action cues and I was looking forward to slipping something brand new into the mix. This isn't to say this won't work great within the film, but colour me disappointed that it's in essence a 50% rehash.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I don't complain because I can't remember it. It blends into the action. And Newman's score does that well. The Tennyson part is quite epic. But doesn't go above and beyond.

I can remember the theme from Indiana Jones, and I've only watched the movies max twice. I can remember Wint and Kidd's theme. Gumbold's safe. Peter Frank's elevator fight.

Cannot for the life of me remember Severine's theme (or Q's theme for skyfall as someone mentioned, if there was such a thing??)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    What I heard was far from a copy of Grand Bazar. It borrows motifs from it soundtrack but I don't think it is bad, it brings a continuity that I personally appreciate in franchise soundtracks. Barry himself (brilliantly) picked up motifs from previous soundtracks to evoque certain scenes. There was a thread around about Proust and Madeleine. Re-using cues from previous releases is just like remembering the past when eating a madeleine.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 3,164
    A direct comparison to the TDK films is actually the Batmobile chase from Batman Begins - Zimmer in similar fashion rehashed that cue almost verbatim (the album version is a reorchestrarion/arrangement surprisingly, that wasn't used in the film) in the Batpod vs police chase in The Dark Knight Rises. I'd say this is a very similar case here, with TDKR to be honest it worked, and I think it will work here. It works for me, picturing the context, anyway.

One thing people tend to forget how the Craig films are all one story instead of just loosely connected stories like the pre-Craig ones. Given we've got the same composer, and that at a most basic level this is a Skyfall sequel, reusing/remixing certain cues/scenes/character motifs for particular scenes makes sense.
  • RC7RC7
    A direct comparison to the TDK films is actually the Batmobile chase from Batman Begins - Zimmer in similar fashion rehashed that cue almost verbatim (the album version is a reorchestrarion/arrangement surprisingly, that wasn't used in the film) in the Batpod vs police chase in The Dark Knight Rises. I'd say this is a very similar case here, with TDKR to be honest it worked, and I think it will work here. It works for me, picturing the context, anyway.

Horses for courses.
    RC7 wrote: »

Horses for courses.

Fair enough.

I'm excited to hear the rest of the score and the new themes Newman introduces. The "end title" suite definitely intrigues me as it hints that the credits may not kick off with the Arnold Bond theme as with CR-SF.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

Horses for courses.

Fair enough.

I'm excited to hear the rest of the score and the new themes Newman introduces. The "end title" suite definitely intrigues me as it hints that the credits may not kick off with the Arnold Bond theme as with CR-SF.

There are lots of intriguing track titles, which have whetted my appetite.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I listened to it again, and I really don't mind it. Having said that, the 'chase' seems a little overscored to a degree. I would have preferred if they scored the 'prelude' and then let the engine/skid sounds do the talking for the actual 'chase' - similar to what was done in arguably the greatest chase sequence ever (The prelude score here is magnificent and sticks with me):
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Great. In Germany we can't listen to BACKFIRE. :( :(
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    w2bond wrote: »
    I don't complain because I can't remember it. It blends into the action. And Newman's score does that well. The Tennyson part is quite epic. But doesn't go above and beyond.

I can remember the theme from Indiana Jones, and I've only watched the movies max twice. I can remember Wint and Kidd's theme. Gumbold's safe. Peter Frank's elevator fight.

Cannot for the life of me remember Severine's theme (or Q's theme for skyfall as someone mentioned, if there was such a thing??)

What makes music by John Williams stand out is that his iconic themes are composed like songs with melodies you can hum to yourself. Newman isn't known for that. He's been more about conveying moods by sweeping strings and percussion through rhythms throughout his career. It's not music you can just casually hum to like the Indiana Jones theme. That doesn't make it a lesser score. I appreciate all forms of music and I think Newman is great at what he does. He won't make music that sound like songs, but he can certainly help drive a film. What I always appreciated about the music in the PTS for SF was that his music felt like it was driving the action towards somewhere. It's something that was lacking in Arnold's scores for me.
    Seeing as my YT upload of Backfire got sniped, here's the official Classic FM link:
    http://audioboom.com/boos/3693183-world-premiere-of-new-bond-score-spectre-by-thomas-newman
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 330
    This list is on amazon. SPOILER ALERT ! ! ! ! !

Track Listings

1. Los Muertos Vivos Estan (featuring Tambuco)
    2. Vauxhall Bridge
    3. The Eternal City
    4. Donna Lucia
    5. A Place Without Mercy
    6. Backfire
    7. Crows Klinik
    8. The Pale King
    9. Madeleine
    10. Kite In A Hurricane
    11. Snow Plane
    12. L'Americain
    13. Secret Room
    14. Hinx
    15. Writing's On The Wall (Instrumental)
    16. Silver Wraith
    17. A Reunion
    18. Day Of The Dead (featuring Tambuco)
    19. Tempus Fugit
    20. Safe House
    21. Blindfold
    22. Careless
    23. Detonation
    24. Westminster Bridge
    25. Out Of Bullets
    26. Spectre (End Title)

But does this mean theres no gun barrel at beginning ?????? no bond theme why
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Great news, going to listen to it now. But here's a cool fact, the track "Los Muertos Vivos Estan (featuring Tambuco)" was playing live during the shooting of the movie in Zócalo Square in Mexico, when I was there. I have it some videos of it :D
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 252
    @ marketto007

This track?

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Ugh, now for the agonizing 3 week avoidance game… I only want to hear the score when I see the film for the 1st time. This is going to be hard.
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    @ marketto007

This track?

Now I like that.......should really go with the film when dialed up a few notches.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Not sure @Bernie99, but the one that I'm mentioning has vocals saying the lyrics "el muertos vivos estan..."
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 161
    @Gareth007fan You should put your entire post in spoiler tags, the list gives away some plot points.

As for your final question,
    i think the gunbarrel is at the beginning of either "Los Muertos Vivos Estan" or "Day Of The Dead"
  • Oh wow, people really weren't exaggerating when they said "Backfire" was the music from "Grand Bazaar." I expected hints of it, not the entire track copied and pasted. Oh well. Here's hoping he doesn't make it a habit in the score.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Arnold and Barry both cut and paste previous themes btw.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Oh wow, people really weren't exaggerating when they said "Backfire" was the music from "Grand Bazaar." I expected hints of it, not the entire track copied and pasted.

It's roughly 50 seconds out of material from "Grand Bazaar", not the "entire track" which was five minutes. Let's not exaggerate.
    The more I listen to it the "Grand Bazaar" component disappears, to the extent that I can't even hear it any more (I found myself trying to locate it on the last listen). It was very apparent on the first listen this morning.
    Barry recycled the 007 theme all the time and other general motifs because it was his style. Why can't Newman repeat motifs?