No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    RC7 wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    I'm not for it, the eon series shouldn't do anything like that and should focus on the main series, but it would be interesting to see a different studio make a 1960's bond esque film/ series

They did ..it was The Man from UNCLE and it bombed.
    Well, it bombed because people took interest in the other film that came out the same day, and its name is Straight Outta Compton. And saying it 'bombed' wouldn't be a fair statement since it made $100M in the box office against a $75M budget.

Period Bond happened and it was arguably the pinnacle. No need to make an imitation. Lazy and unnecessary.
    Last time I checked, there was no imitation anywhere to be found, unless you do rate the source material as imitation of Bond, as well.
  • RC7RC7
    I'm not for it, the eon series shouldn't do anything like that and should focus on the main series, but it would be interesting to see a different studio make a 1960's bond esque film/ series

Well, it bombed because people took interest in the other film that came out the same day, and its name is Straight Outta Compton. And saying it 'bombed' wouldn't be a fair statement since it made $100M in the box office against a $75M budget.

Period Bond happened and it was arguably the pinnacle. No need to make an imitation. Lazy and unnecessary.
    Last time I checked, there was no imitation anywhere to be found, unless you do rate the source material as imitation of Bond, as well.

I don't understand your comment, could you elaborate?

From what I've understood, you classed UNCLE as a Bond imitator. And I wondered if you ever think the source material for it, namely the television series, to be precise, is also an imitation of Bond.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Admitting that I'm not the biggest fan of Daniel Craig I tell you what I want anyway!

EON (meaning BB + MGW) getting a grip on themselves and their franchise and immediately starting pre-production on TWO Bond movies shot back to back for release in 2017 and 2018.
    A big finale to Daniel Craig's tenure.
    Both movies have the same production team, same director, editor, cinematographer, composer, sound, sound-editing, special effects team...you get the idea.
    First theme song by Lana Del Rey.
    Second theme song by Chris Cornell. (yes!)
    David Arnold doing the scores.
    If not him, someone else but not Newman the lullaby expert.
    Same ensemble cast in both movies with villain getting killed by the end of second movie.
    Happy-end. No dreary tear-jerker scene at the end.
    And most importantly, get decent writer.
    P+W off to the middle of the desert with a can, ok, two cans of oil!
    It would be nice if they'd do a back-to-backer to milk Craig a little more before the movies face an uncertain future with a new actor in the shoes (or tux if you will). I'm sure they could pull it off with the right director without being too much of a hassle.
  • RC7RC7

From what I've understood, you classed UNCLE as a Bond imitator. And I wondered if you ever think the source material for it, namely the television series, to be precise, is also an imitation of Bond.

That's not what I meant. I wasn't referring to UNCLE at all. My point was that they've already done 'period Bond', as this nonsense article calls it, ie. James Bond in the 60s. It happened, let's not endorse a poor imitation of that era.
    Admitting that I'm not the biggest fan of Daniel Craig I tell you what I want anyway!

EON (meaning BB + MGW) getting a grip on themselves and their franchise and immediately starting pre-production on TWO Bond movies shot back to back for release in 2017 and 2018.
    Both movies have the same production team, same director, editor, cinematographer, composer, sound, sound-editing, special effects team...you get the idea.
    Same ensemble cast in both movies with villain getting killed by the end of second movie.
    One thing I'll change from the list is the singer for the second movie. Surely we can't get Shirley Bassey to do the song, but I'd love to get someone just like her with a strong and dominating lyrics conclude this Bond arc. Meaning that it's Bond in the end of the day who gloriously triumphs.

One thing I'll change from the list is the singer for the second movie. Surely we can't get Shirley Bassey to do the song, but I'd love to get someone just like her with a strong and dominating lyrics conclude this Bond arc. Meaning that it's Bond in the end of the day who gloriously triumphs.

Bassey still has it in her. Her latest album of 2014 even has a completely new re-recording of Goldfinger which sound better than the original. Check it out.
    Of course I'd have her mentioned in my wish list if it were realistic, but I believe BB would not choose her, she only seems interested in money these days. Adele and SS being proof of that sadly.

I say Chris Cornell because it would book-end Craig's movies. I want to have some kind of book-end. Martin Campbell isn't possible so I go with the next best thing which is the music.

That's not what I meant. I wasn't referring to UNCLE at all. My point was that they've already done 'period Bond', as this nonsense article calls it, ie. James Bond in the 60s. It happened, let's not endorse a poor imitation of that era.
    Ahh, then I hand you over my apologies, sir, for the miscommunication. I agree that a forced imitation of the era would be nothing but a disaster. However, if done properly, I would encourage it. You see, with the proper people on board, like how they have handled Jean Dujardin's OSS 117 films, regardless of their existence as parodies, it can be pulled off. :)

Bassey still has it in her. Her latest album of 2014 even has a completely new re-recording of Goldfinger which sound better than the original. Check it out.
    Of course I'd have her mentioned in my wish list if it were realistic, but I believe BB would not choose her, she only seems interested in money these days. Adele and SS being proof of that sadly.

I say Chris Cornell because it would book-end Craig's movies. I want to have some kind of book-end. Martin Campbell isn't possible so I go with the next best thing which is the music.

Great points you've made there. It would only be a wish list, like you said. But, then again, hardly we'd likely be getting Chris Cornell again since he's no longer as famous as he was ten years ago (I can't believe it was ten years ago, though), I don't see his name trending anywhere, but I could be wrong. Yes, Miss Broccoli is akin to get the trend of the day aboard. Who would've thought Sam Smith would have been a Bond singer along with a performance like the one he brought? I wouldn't have expected it.

However, I still would like to see Alicia Keys deliver a proper Blues song related to the 007 saga. She's a great singer.
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2015 Posts: 10,512
    However, if done properly, I would encourage it. You see, with the proper people on board, like how they have handled Jean Dujardin's OSS 117 films, regardless of their existence as parodies, it can be pulled off. :)

We might have to agree to disagree on that one. It's still parody for me. None of these 60's period pieces look like the real thing, they're a combination of a misremembered and rose-tinted aesthetic with an overt stylistic attempt at 60s framing, composition and camera movement that betrays the originals because they lull into 21st coverage. The only way I could ever see a Bond period film working is if they set it in the 50s, shot it in B+W and had an auteur meticulously and slavishly adhere to the style of the day. No modern techniques, faithful production design, faithful sound design and recording, appropriate camera movement and blocking, the list goes on. It would end up being an incredibly indulgent piece of cinema and commercially redundant, but it's the only way I'd like a period Bond to be done. That's why it shouldn't happen.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Warner Brothers likely to be new movie rights studio partner. Mendes and Craig apparently both unwilling to work with Sony again. With Sony likely to lose the rights at tender they pushed hard for two films Spectre and it's sequel back to back in order to milk the money of an extra film while the rights were still in their control. Sony executives threw the toys out of the pram and EON stood by Craig and Mendes rather than consider another director and actor who would be willing to do back to back films. Sony not prepared to take it lying down made life difficult, initially cutting a budget which the Mexican government funding plugged the gap. Dan and Mendes were upset as they felt like they were fighting against the studio making the film. When it came to product placement Sam and Dan got their own back by making a point that Sony were not going to make Spectre an advert for Sony to exploit. There is every chance both Craig and Mendes will return. But that's whether Barbara can convince the new studio partner (likely Warner Brothers) that Craig and Mendes should return and agree a budget to make an even bigger movie in 2017. The problem is new studio, new ideas, fresh. Nolan is Warner Brother big picture director. And Tom Hardy (Inception, Dark Knight Rises) is Nolans likely go to actor. Time will tell.
    However, if done properly, I would encourage it. You see, with the proper people on board, like how they have handled Jean Dujardin's OSS 117 films, regardless of their existence as parodies, it can be pulled off. :)

We might have to agree to disagree on that one. It's still parody for me. None of these 60's period pieces look like the real thing, they're a combination of a misremembered and rose-tinted aesthetic with an overt stylistic attempt at 60s framing, composition and camera movement that betrays the originals because they lull into 21st coverage. The only way I could ever see a Bond period film working is if they set it in the 50s, shot it in B+W and had an auteur meticulously and slavishly adhere to the style of the day. No modern techniques, faithful production design, faithful sound design and recording, appropriate camera movement and blocking, the list goes on. It would end up being an incredibly indulgent piece of cinema and commercially redundant, but it's the only way I'd like a period Bond to be done. That's why it shouldn't happen.

You have a point there, I have to admit. And no, I wouldn't want Bond to get the Mad Men treatment, either. But, let's just say, if Sherlock Holmes can still remain in the 1880s/90s, then why not putting Bond in the era he came from? I agree with you that everything has to remain faithful to the originals, with every bit of a detail. I can imagine the piece ending up in a very memorable position in the art of cinema. Then again, the biggest fear of them all is whether it will make money or not. Because there will always be the attempt to bring in new audiences rather than just pleasing the fans.

So, all in all, I have to agree with you.
    DC will be back, and as for this whole 60's thing? Absolute nonsense, keeping it up to date and modern and relevant is why the series is 50 plus years strong!
    Well if we are talking about exactly what we want for Bond 25

The Hildebrand Rarity
    Daniel Craig as James Bond 007
    Jordanna Spiro as Liz Krest (she is unknown gorgeous and a really good actress)
    Daniel Day Lewis Colonel Von Hammerstein
    (the rest of the cast the same as Spectre)
    Directed by Pierre Morel
    Written by Luc Besson (Taken) and Christopher Mcquarrie (Mission Impossible Rogue Nation)
    Music by David Arnold
    Title Song By Yes (let me dream)

Plot I can't discuss right now Though I am thinking a mix between the fugitive and Taken Hopefully that doesn't give anything away. If you want to know my actual Idea PM me as it contains several MAJOR SPOILERS for Spectre of course in 2 months I plan on posting my plot anyways assuming I will remember it lol.

So yeah I get that in 2018 I will be happy.

Well if we are talking about exactly what we want for Bond 25

The Hildebrand Rarity
    Jordanna Spiro as Liz Krest (she is unknown gorgeous and a really good actress)
    Daniel Day Lewis Colonel Von Hammerstein
    (the rest of the cast the same as Spectre)
    Directed by Pierre Morel
    Written by Luc Besson (Taken) and Christopher Mcquarrie (Mission Impossible Rogue Nation)
    Music by David Arnold
    Title Song By Yes (let me dream)

Plot I can't discuss right now Though I am thinking a mix between the fugitive and Taken Hopefully that doesn't give anything away. If you want to know my actual Idea PM me as it contains several MAJOR SPOILERS for Spectre of course in 2 months I plan on posting my plot anyways assuming I will remember it lol.

So yeah I get that in 2018 I will be happy.

• bond_azoozbondbond_azoozbond Portland,OR
    edited October 2015 Posts: 97
    If a back to back movie will happen I think it will be 2018 - 2019 instead of 2017 .. As much as I want this not to happen .. But I guess they need time to plan the two movie since it didnt happen since LALD & TMWTGG..

Many franchises did that recently: last harry potter movies and hunger games ..
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 832
    The Death Collector
    del ray for the theme
    Sam Mendes returning one last time
    Written by Luc Besson (Taken) and Christopher Mcquarrie (Mission Impossible Rogue Nation) and maybe edited by purvis and wade (come on they know bond like no one else)
    Mi6 Crew returning
    LALD and TMWTGG were shot back to back?
    LALD and TMWTGG were shot back to back?

I don't think so. There was 1 and a half years between those releases at the cinema.
  • DariusDarius UK
    As far as DC's return an Bond is concerned, whilst he his contracted for at least one more movie, we all know that these things can turn out to fairly flexible and negotiable at the end of the day. My belief is that DC's decision to return as Bond may well hinge in who is directing the movie.

My guess is that if David Fincher were to be offered and subsequently accept the role of director, then DC may think twice about hanging up his PPK. I say this because there was a palpable chemistry between director and star in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, where DC and Fincher worked together.
    Has anyone seen this? Is it old news? I don't know if it's true or not but Craig's comments are disturbing. http://news.yahoo.com/daniel-craig-told-to-shut-up-and-stop-bond-065948520.html
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Not true.
    Why not true? Is there any proof of that?
    Warners might be the new distributor, Christopher Nolan was apparently courted when it looked like Mendes might not do SPECTRE, both the DoP and editor on SPECTRE have worked on Nolan films - Christopher Nolan could well be directing.

There's been a lot of talk about Tom Hardy playing Bond after Craig, if Nolan directs maybe he could be the villain of Bond 25.
    Anyone want a David Arnold return for Bond 25? I liked his scores but felt they became very samey.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138

Video from On Time Interview. The text article blows it way out of proportion. If you watch the video it's clear he just wants to be with his family and relax rather than think about another Bond movie. I don't hear any words come out of his mouth which is disrespectful to the franchise. The tabloids have really quoted snippets out of context to paint a bad picture. I see NH has come out in Dan's defence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34514701
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe

Video from On Time Interview. The text article blows it way out of proportion. If you watch the video it's clear he just wants to be with his family and relax rather than think about another Bond movie. I don't hear any words come out of his mouth which is disrespectful to the franchise. The tabloids have really quoted snippets out of context to paint a bad picture. I see NH has come out in Dan's defence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34514701

Absolutely! Videos are, as a rule of thumb, the way to go with Craig interviews. Every other tabloic seems to take his words out of context. In this interview all we see is an actor who is extremely commited to his character but who is also homesick and tired after an extenuous shooting schedule.
  • DariusDarius UK
    edited October 2015 Posts: 354
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Has anyone seen this? Is it old news? I don't know if it's true or not but Craig's comments are disturbing. http://news.yahoo.com/daniel-craig-told-to-shut-up-and-stop-bond-065948520.html

Three things:

1. The source. One should take everything found in the New York Post with a generous pinch of salt, since they have their eye on circulation figures, rather than distilling truth.

2. DC has a very impish way of playing up to the press. Remember before CR when he said that Bond definitely wouldn't be wearing a tux? All this is intended to stir up controversy, which is all grist to mill as far as the upcoming movie is concerned because there's no such thing as bad publicity. He often accomplishes this by making seemingly polemical statements, such as this, when he is really being ironic. Of course the journos who are lapping it up take great relish in taking him quite literally because they get an exclusive story that's going to sell newspapers. Win win.

3. The comment is taken very much out of context. It could be that DC meant that he would rather slash his wrists than do another Bond movie right now because he was being quizzed on the rumour that Spectre was being produced back to back with Bond 25.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,416
    It already is confirmd MGM/Universal release Spectre in cinema/making the features insteed of Fox. Sony/MGM will release it on DVD and Bluray like happend with CR. Bond 25 will be MGM/Warner. Warner is already partner of Fox a bit, release some real Fox movies in the cinema. MGM/Warner making hobbit together.

Biggest cons of Warner:

Christopher Nolan. That Sam Mendes credit him on presconference can be joke or warning. Also Spectre is 155 minutes. Nolan and Warner like longer movies. Skyfall already has reference to TDK and Lee Smith already work on Spectre.

Copyright. Do you whant to make you comment on Bond 25 trailers or sharing un-released music or documentry. It wil possible be mute.

Promotion. It sucks if not be a real Warner movie. But i whas suprised how good Fox's Kingsman be promotion. But X-men First class flops in my country, not promoted enough. Soundtrack wil be released by Warner like Die Another Day. There first whant to give us 11 tracks before we get 15. With Inception Warner give soundtrack 2 les tracks and those 2 tracks who only can lissen online for a very limited time.

Budget. There easy change things who previously made difrent. Hagrid house remember ? Also since Harry Potter 4 there cut on the budget. I also think J.K. Rowling co wrote Harry Potter 7 with Warner.

Tv screening. You must wait 3 years before movie going to be on tv and for The Netherlands it mean a return on SBS6, whyle finaly Rtl Nederland get them back. Return to no gunbarrel.

We stil waiting on new Superman Bluray set in The Netherlands. We must 5 years before Batman Boxset. Some releases we don't get. No steelbook of Bond 25.
    Darius wrote: »
    The_Reaper wrote: »

Three things:

1. The source. One should take everything found in the New York Post with a generous pinch of salt, since they have their eye on circulation figures, rather than distilling truth.

2. DC has a very impish way of playing up to the press. Remember before CR when he said that Bond definitely wouldn't be wearing a tux? All this is intended to stir up controversy, which is all grist to mill as far as the upcoming movie is concerned because there's no such thing as bad publicity. He often accomplishes this by making seemingly polemical statements, such as this, when he is really being ironic. Of course the journos who are lapping it up take great relish in taking him quite literally because they get an exclusive story that's going to sell newspapers. Win win.

3. The comment is taken very much out of context. It could be that DC meant that he would rather slash his wrists than do another Bond movie right now because he was being quizzed on the rumour that Spectre was being produced back to back with Bond 25.

Fair enough. It felt weird reading it.