Has The Goldeneye-LTK timeline ever been confirmed Officially/Unofficially?

edited November 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 79
Keep reading this in various threads that the PCS reffering to "9 Years Ago" Is a somewhat whitewash of Tim's tenure as JB. I would like to think it's more a plot point for Bond to be suprised by the re-appearance of 006. Maybe after escaping Severnya, Bond headed to Gibraltar for TLD. One piece of evidence to back my theory would be Jack Wade filling the hole left by Felixs . Please discuss fellow Bond fans, Their a lot of knowledgable people who post here so will be intrested in your thoughts.

Comments

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Keep reading this in various threads that the PCS reffering to "9 Years Ago" Is a somewhat whitewash of Tim's tenure as JB. I would like to think it's more a plot point for Bond to be suprised by the re-appearance of 006. Maybe after escaping Severnya, Bond headed to Gibraltar for TLD. One piece of evidence to back my theory would be Jack Wade filling the hole left by Felixs transfer to DEA. Please discuss fellow Bond fans, Their a lot of knowledgable people who post here so will be intrested in your thoughts.

I'd like to think that. And that Caroline is evaluating Bond in the beginning for his readmitance into MI6. If they we're going to retroactively "negate" an era of time they should've made it "11 years later" instead and included AVTAK.

• Good point about Caroline, Second piece of Evidence. M also refers to her predecessor who was The 2nd M who of course Sir Rog also served in OP,ATVAK.
    Yes, this has always puzzled me as well. I'd just say that the whole nine years thing is to further explain the surprise when Alec Trevelyan is revealed as the head of Janus. Then again, it could be one last farewell to Timothy Dalton, who, like Lazenby, picked the short straw on Bond acting. Since the nine year issue goes back to 1986, then I'd say that TLD and LTK would have occured before Alec Trevelyan is revealed alive.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I see it like this:

The PTS for GoldenEye happens, a year later is TLD and 2 years later is LTK, Bond's officially revoked from MI6, so he either spends a few years enjoying "retirement" or he temporarily becomes a mercenary, then as the last M's final order, he reinstates Bond, and when Judi Dench pops in as M, she has all of the agents evaluated so that she can get a handle on them.

Thus happens GoldenEye.
    Or Caroline was just doing a routine psychiatric evaluation of Bond and it was simply the first time we've seen it on screen.

I'd also venture a guess that the writers really weren't even thinking about the timeline and continuity at all when they started the film with a flashback from nine years before. It was just a plot device used to give Pierce a reason to look 'surprised' when Janus is revealed to be 006.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The plot device was obvious. They needed to give it enough time for Alec to be "truly" dead before he shows up in the statue park. And I don't really think the writers ever really think about timeline or continuity between films unless it's necessary, like back in the 60s when SPECTRE was the bad guys, or with CR and QoS since QoS is a direct sequel.
    Keep reading this in various threads that the PCS reffering to "9 Years Ago" Is a somewhat whitewash of Tim's tenure as JB.
    Officially, it is the same character who is present in both Arkhangelsk and Gibraltar, even if they are played by different actors.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I don't think it was a whitewashing so much as an inside joke/nod to Brosnan almost getting the role in 1986.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 12,837
    I see it like this. First we have the goldeneye PTS, with alec being shot and bond barely escaping alive. After 006's death and 007s close call, M decides that bond and the other double os need to be more careful. To try and prevent any more agents dying in the field, M sends them of an a training exercise to gilbatar, thus begins TLD
    Why are we assuming this is taking place in real time? I don't remember GE starting out with a tag stating, the following takes place in 1995. Bond has never been great on inward continuity.
    So this means the pre credits must of been set in 1986 and after the credits in 1995.
  • Kananga wrote:
    So this means the pre credits must of been set in 1986 and after the credits in 1995.

thats how i see it. It actually makes sense, because at the start of TLD bond and other agents are on a training mission. I think M sent them to do extra training because of 006's death.
    From what I've always read, Goldeneye was written for Dalton, and the script wasn't altered much to fit Pierce. I always understood it that if Dalton had stayed on, the sequence would still have the nine years later at the end.
    The_Reaper wrote:
    Why are we assuming this is taking place in real time? I don't remember GE starting out with a tag stating, the following takes place in 1995. Bond has never been great on inward continuity.

No, we don't know for sure this is how it is, although the novelization does set the PTS (Operation Cowslip) in 1986 and the film proper in 1995.