SPECTRE: So, who's that bullet meant for?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    JCRendle wrote: »
    What if the new films subvert the old. Bond kills "Blofeld"'s lover, causing "Blofeld" to go on a personal vendetta against Bond?

I would actually prefer that scenario or something else. I'm not a fan of redo's so I hope they don't go down that path. We've already had OHMSS and it's a great, unique film among the 23 official films - very close to the book. We don't need it to be redone.

In a way, the novels "Thunderball" and "Octopussy" are being redone as well. Albeit loosely, and with a flair of re-imaginative thinking. If the bullet is part of a dramatic scene in "SPECTRE", then I fully trust the creative minds behind the film to do it with a different twist, completely reimagined, as compared to "OHMSS"

Agreed. They've shown they are capable of being suitably creative and interesting, based on the previous film.

I don't really understand how the novels TB and OP are being redone? They are using OP as a springboard, in a way that seems original and hasn't been touched on before. I don't really see any link to TB other than it being the first novel to feature ESB and this being the first film for some time.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Madeleine turns out to be DC's Tracy, but I don't think the trajectory of their relationship will mirror that of OHMSS, in other words they may fall in love, but I highly doubt they marry in SP. As for the bullet, I still think it's an opaque reference to OHMSS rather than a more explicit one to SP. It could be foreshadowing future events (B25) but I don't think it's any more than that at this moment in time. I hope they steer clear of explicit references to OHMSS within the film.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    What if the new films subvert the old. Bond kills "Blofeld"'s lover, causing "Blofeld" to go on a personal vendetta against Bond?

Actually, that'd be shockingly clever if well executed.
    RC7 wrote: »

I would actually prefer that scenario or something else. I'm not a fan of redo's so I hope they don't go down that path. We've already had OHMSS and it's a great, unique film among the 23 official films - very close to the book. We don't need it to be redone.

In a way, the novels "Thunderball" and "Octopussy" are being redone as well. Albeit loosely, and with a flair of re-imaginative thinking. If the bullet is part of a dramatic scene in "SPECTRE", then I fully trust the creative minds behind the film to do it with a different twist, completely reimagined, as compared to "OHMSS"

Agreed. They've shown they are capable of being suitably creative and interesting, based on the previous film.

I don't really understand how the novels TB and OP are being redone? They are using OP as a springboard, in a way that seems original and hasn't been touched on before. I don't really see any link to TB other than it being the first novel to feature ESB and this being the first film for some time.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Madeleine turns out to be DC's Tracy, but I don't think the trajectory of their relationship will mirror that of OHMSS, in other words they may fall in love, but I highly doubt they marry in SP. As for the bullet, I still think it's an opaque reference to OHMSS rather than a more explicit one to SP. It could be foreshadowing future events (B25) but I don't think it's any more than that at this moment in time. I hope they steer clear of explicit references to OHMSS within the film.

Remake is not the right word, but OP and TB are used as literary source. At least the antagonism and love triangle Bond-Domino-Largo seems to be revamped in SF.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Remake is not the right word, but OP and TB are used as literary source. At least the antagonism and love triangle Bond-Domino-Largo seems to be revamped in SF.

Hm... Not sure I got that last sentence. Could yo elaborate on that please?
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote: »

Me neither.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Walecs wrote: »

This would be fantastic!

Signor Sciarra is Italian and a villain. He does not have a mistress but a wife. We can safely assume Bond will bed her or try. From some shooting pictures he may be fighting Bond and die from it. So he does fit the Largo character. Judging from what Bellucci wears, he's a wealthy man, thus fitting the Largo connection. Revamped may not be the right word. Reconstructed?
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 7,500

Signor Sciarra is Italian and a villain. He does not have a mistress but a wife. We can safely assume Bond will bed her or try. From some shooting pictures he may be fighting Bond and die from it. So he does fit the Largo character. Judging from what Bellucci wears, he's a wealthy man, thus fitting the Largo connection. Revamped may not be the right word. Reconstructed?

I was expecting at stronger link than that. That there is a similarity, doesn't mean the idea is revamped from the original version, or even even inspired from it at all. How many married women haven't Bond (tried to) seduce(d) throughout the series? Does the fact that Bond kills a wealthy, unmarried villain in possession of nuclear weapons in TSWLM (film) mean that its a revamp or reconstruction of Moonraker (the novel)?

Edit: Btw you also wrote "SF" and not "SP" ;)
  • RC7RC7

I was expecting at stronger link than that. That there is a similarity, doesn't mean the idea is revamped from the original version, or even even inspired from it at all. How many married women haven't Bond (tried to) seduce(d) throughout the series? Does the fact that Bond kills a wealthy, unmarried villain in posession of nuclear weapons in TSWLM (film) mean that its a revamp or reconstruction of Moonraker (the novel)?

I agree. I think sometimes we clutch at straws when drawing comparisons. It may be that Rome was decided on as a location pretty early on, with Sciarra's nationality a bi-product of this rather than a conscious revamp of Largo. In fact, although I'm reluctant to believe it, the Mexico 'incentives' debacle seems to suggest the villain was originally Mexican (although I think MGW debunked this). I can see slight comparisons and if it turns out Sciarra is number two, there's another link, but the idea of using TB as 'literary source' seems a stretch to me.
    I actually think Denbigh is the Nr.2 of "SPECTRE". Being a Kronsteen-esque infiltrator. Smart, though deadly. A double-spy, similar as Guy Haynes in QOS, though now more elaborately developed as a character.

Sciarra? For me he's more of a connection. Like Jacques Bouvar or Count Lippen. And what do "failed" SPECTRE-members do? They die early.
  • RC7RC7
    Sciarra? For me he's more of a connection. Like Jacques Bouvar or Count Lippen. And what do "failed" SPECTRE-members do? They die early.

Yeah, I would imagine so. SP wouldn't look all that good if they lost a high-ranking member from the get go.

I was expecting at stronger link than that. That there is a similarity, doesn't mean the idea is revamped from the original version, or even even inspired from it at all. How many married women haven't Bond (tried to) seduce(d) throughout the series? Does the fact that Bond kills a wealthy, unmarried villain in possession of nuclear weapons in TSWLM (film) mean that its a revamp or reconstruction of Moonraker (the novel)?

Edit: Btw you also wrote "SF" and not "SP" ;)

Well not that many actually. Out of the top of my head only Dimitrios was married. Sanchez had a girlfriend and there was thus a love triangle. Other than these two, there is Largo and there is to a lesser extend Big and Solitaire. But it is also Scarria's nationality and alledge membership that makes me suspect a parentage.
    3SUvW42.jpg
    Have a look at above screenshot. I was fairly convinced we already got our first bit of narrative/plot of the film last year in December. And although I was wrong to whom this bullet was meant for, you can now see from the above screenshot that I was right :-). The bullet hole IS part of the story. You can see that Bond's shooting is more or less evolving in the bullet hole from the first teaser poster :-). By the way, do we see a glimpse of a scarred Oberhauser here as well?
    tumblr_nvng04qlDY1rv0z1no1_400.jpg Here's a better view of him in that scene, he doesn't look particularly scarred there.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    It's not part of the story. As you can see, no holes there
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,119

What do you mean? Please elaborate?

At least this publicity logo is not just an out-of-the-blue goodlooking visual that doesn't show at all in the actual film. Like so many in here claimed. The actual question I asked in the topic title is hereby....answered no?:

wallpaper_hd_007_bond_spectre-1920x1200_HD-copia.jpg
    3SUvW42.jpg
    tumblr_nvng04qlDY1rv0z1no1_400.jpg
  • JCRendle wrote: »
    tumblr_nvng04qlDY1rv0z1no1_400.jpg Here's a better view of him in that scene, he doesn't look particularly scarred there.

It could be that the scare is on the other side of his face. His right side is shown in the shot with Bond in the background (and it does look like there is a scare - or it could be an illusion) and the image above is from the left side (no scare visible).
    I know, but that's the clearest shot we have. At least he has hair ;)
  • JCRendle wrote: »
    I know, but that's the clearest shot we have. At least he has hair ;)

maybe its a wig ;-)

Haven't seen this since the first five minutes of Vulcan Affair from "the Man from U.N.C.L.E.
    Please mention SPOILERS in the TITLE OF THIS THREAD!!
    @SaintMark wrote: »
    Please mention SPOILERS in the TITLE OF THIS THREAD!!
    Only speculation, based on photos

There goes my theory that it was going to be in the PTS/part of the gunbarrel.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    edited October 2015 Posts: 630

What do you mean? Please elaborate?

At least this publicity logo is not just an out-of-the-blue goodlooking visual that doesn't show at all in the actual film. Like so many in here claimed. The actual question I asked in the topic title is hereby....answered no?:

wallpaper_hd_007_bond_spectre-1920x1200_HD-copia.jpg
    3SUvW42.jpg
    tumblr_nvng04qlDY1rv0z1no1_400.jpg

The bullet hole in the title logo has not relevance within the story.
    The shots from Bond to Oberhauser don't make a hole in the glass.
    Maybe the gunbarrel is right in the middle of the movie this time?

If you are right about that, I'm going to hold you responsible for the consequences :-P

If you are right about that, I'm going to hold you responsible for the consequences :-P

I often joke about it in topics about the gunbarrel.
  • Walecs wrote: »

That my only strong criticism in the gem that is TSWLM : they build up that most unusual scenario for a Bond movie, Bond has killed XXX's lover but, well, it's solved with a pop from a bottle of champaign, and the movie is over.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Walecs wrote: »

That my only strong criticism in the gem that is TSWLM : they build up that most unusual scenario for a Bond movie, Bond has killed XXX's lover but, well, it's solved with a pop from a bottle of champaign, and the movie is over.

That's how it culminates but it's definitely not solved that way.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,416

I also have problems with liking Sykfall, big part already be spoiled before and i am afraid it repeat with Spectre.

Daniel Craig movies showing people a mirror / ask something from you. If you are a long time fan like me, then you mabey to smart for this. Dejavu to my 6th and 12th favorite Bond movie.