Non-Fleming Bond Novels - Where to Start?

2»

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Ditch Gardner and movie novelizations and pick up Lycett's Fleming biography.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 7,653
    1) Colonel Sun - A worthy first novelisation
    2) Young Bond - They are more fun than you might expect
    3) Moneypenny Diaries - Simply one of the best 007 books out there.
    4) Gardner - Worth of your time even if the later ones are declining in quality, even if Dragonpol will deny that, and he makes a good case I'll admit.
    5) Benson - Written by a fan and leans more toward the movie Bond , but he has a few very good and underrated novels.
    6) DMC - Liked it but written as too much of a pastiche has too little originality
    7) CB - A great writer but this one is rather bland, James Bland.
    8) Boyd - Some brilliant moments but the writer lost himself in the anti decolonization idea.
    9) Wood - he wrote two novelisations that both have a better story than the movies, but his James Bond does come very close to Fleming You would not believe it the books are TSWLM & James Bond and the Moonraker) I would not mind seeing an original book from his writing table
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    SaintMark wrote: »
    4) Gardner - Worth of your time even if the later ones are declining in quality, even if Dragonpol will deny that, and he makes a good case I'll admit.

Why, thank you @SaintMark! I have a blog review series on 90s Gardner Bond novels coming up...I'll try to make the arguments there on why the novels should be better regarded than they are. :)