Writing's on the Wall - Official Appreciation Thread

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Mansfield wrote: »
    It gave me the goosebumps. Suppose that's something. ;)

Yes, me too. When the song was finished the bus arrived at the station where I got off.
    It was a nice feeling to start work, just having listened to such a wonderful pleasant song.
  • Thank you, DominicGreene, for starting this thread. While I am not enamored with the new song, I do hear its bright points. It is not a bad song; just something different than what I was hoping for. And I applaud Sam Smith for creating the best song that he could -- a tough follow-up to an Academy Award-winning Bond theme. Any artist who gets chosen to do a Bond song is a winner in my book. It is a small circle of artistic excellence -- and that includes Lulu or Madonna or Sam Smith. Together, as a family of songs, it creates a tapestry that is unique Bond, even though we all have our favorites … and our, um, not-favorites.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Yes! The song is beautifully haunting. Love the crescendos and the excellent vocals by Sam Smith. The first time I played it I got chills. One of those songs I instantly liked on the first play. Well done Sam Smith!
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    Just got done watching muted title sequences for CR,QoS, and SF with writings on the wall playing over it and I must say it's got me pretty pumped for the title sequence for SP. Song actually works really well with it better than I thought especially with CR in my opinion. :-)
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Its a very good song. In a shorter title sequence version with DK's stunning visuals its going to get the haters to love it!

You're deluded Mr @nobodydoesitbetter, people who don't like it aren't going to change their minds when it's wedded to DK (hopefully) stunning credits. I think DAD's credits are pretty damn good but even better with the sound down! No amount of excellent visuals could make me like Madonna's offering and, I'm afraid, the same goes for Sam Smith's outing.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited September 2015 Posts: 11,139
    WoTw genuinely sounds like a lovely song. It has a sincerity to it that perfectly captures the mental turmoil and the emotional chaos that Bond has to keep boxed away, armoured and guarded to be the man he presents to the world. Hearing the song I see flashbacks of:...

Connery in Jamaica in his suit sitting in his hotel room alone drinking and then putting the glass up against his forehead, I see Lazenby in the barn with Tracy then him holding her as she lays dead in his arms in the car, I see Moore visiting Tracy's grave, I see Dalton walking away from Felixstowe and Della, I see Alec and Bond talking in the grave yard, I see Paris Carver showing up to Bond's hotel and the ensuing love scene, I see Bond kiss a dead Paris, I see Bond staring longingly and lovongly at a computer screen with Elektra imprisoned and him touching the screen, then a love scene between the two and then Bond shooting her dead, then I see scenes of Bond and Vesper’s, LeChiffre torturing Bond, which culminate with Bond trying tirelessly to revive her only to come to the realisation that she's gone, I see bits and pieces of the QoS pts, I see Bond and Mathis talking on the plane, followed by Bond holding a dying Mathis, followed by scenes of Bond being shot off from the top of the train, crashing into the water, the word association test, Bond emerging and running through Westminster, shots of SF Manor, the tombstones of his parents, Bond holding a dying M and lastly Bond on a rooftop looking over London.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I've listened to it twice now and love it! I don't understand why some hate it. Everything about it is classic Bond. It gave me chills. I think I might actually like Smith's "Writing's on the Wall" more than Adel's "Skyfall". For some reason it made me think of Thunderball and now I would like to hear Smith's version of it.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Hearing the song I see flashbacks of:...

Connery in Jamaica in his suit sitting in his hotel room alone drinking and then putting the glass up against his forehead, I see Lazenby in the barn with Tracy then him holding her as she lays dead in his arms in the car, I see Moore visiting Tracy's grave, I see Dalton walking away from Felixstowe and Della, I see Alec and Bond talking in the grave yard, I see Paris Carver showing up to Bond's hotel and the ensuing love scene, I see Bond kiss a dead Paris, I see Bond staring longingly and lovongly at a computer screen with Elektra imprisoned and him touching the screen, then a love scene between the two and then Bond shooting her dead, then I see scenes of Bond and Vesper’s, LeChiffre torturing Bond, which culminate with Bond trying tirelessly to revive her only to come to the realisation that she's gone, I see bits and pieces of the QoS pts, I see Bond and Mathis talking on the plane, followed by Bond holding a dying Mathis, followed by scenes of Bond being shot off from the top of the train, crashing into the water, the word association test, Bond emerging and running through Westminster, shots of SF Manor, the tombstones of his parents, Bond holding a dying M and lastly Bond on a rooftop looking over London.

=D>
    Very well written.
    Gives the track a whole new depth for me
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 95
    I braved the original thread to say how much I admired and liked the song.

In all honesty, I believe more people like it than it might appear as negativity is usually louder in cyberspace than positive reactions. That is the case all over the net: tech forums, politics, music, other films, et. Always the same.

And I bet, outside the Bond and social media communities, out there in the real world where people will hear the song on the radio minus all the fighting and bickering, the reaction will be even more positive. But obviously it won't be for everyone. And in that respect I am not surprised one bit.

Once the smoke clears and the film comes out, I think it will sit nicely in the cannon of great Bond theme songs.
    00Agent wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Hearing the song I see flashbacks of:...

=D>
    Very well written.
    Gives the track a whole new depth for me

Much appreciated :-bd
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,068
    Well, I don't think you can say this reaction is only web forums - if you haven't seen it, general comments from members of public on BBC are a similar story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34357110

I haven't specifically selected -ve over +ve, these are the coherent ones though I'm struggling to find many +ve ones:
    422. Posted by iamsoamazing
    on
    25 Sept 2015 15:48
    I found the whole song excrutiatingly wimpy sounding; lacking any power at all. If they're going to use a man, they should have chosen someone with a Tom Jones type of voice.

Right now I want to find a darkened room where I can be alone, bury my head in my hands, and cry myself to sleep after listening to this awful effeminate wailing.
    on
    I found the whole song excrutiatingly wimpy sounding; lacking any power at all. If they're going to use a man, they should have chosen someone with a Tom Jones type of voice.

Right now I want to find a darkened room where I can be alone, bury my head in my hands, and cry myself to sleep after listening to this awful effeminate wailing.
    414. Posted by DaBlueBaron
    on
    25 Sept 2015 15:05
    Man alive, that guy has a seriously irritating voice. Does he always sing like that? Shocker.
    on
    Man alive, that guy has a seriously irritating voice. Does he always sing like that? Shocker.
    405. Posted by WH
    on
    25 Sept 2015 14:18
    Personally, I quite like it but I do hope for the next movie they move away from a solo artist and go for a band. I'd love to see Muse do a bond theme song.
    402. Posted by PeteSW
    on
    25 Sept 2015 14:14
    Safe, bland uninspiring twee copyist writes and performs safe bland unoriginal twee sketch-a-song Bond theme.
    Neither shaken nor stirred.
    401. Posted by Heisenberg
    on
    25 Sept 2015 14:11
    Smith says this took him 20 minutes to write...surprised it took him that long!! Utter tripe.
    400. Posted by Blackarrow
    on
    25 Sept 2015 14:07
    This song is dull, bland and boring. It is not what I would class as a 'Bond song'. What is needed for a film called Spectre, is something dark and menacing.

After hearing the song, I question whether I want to see it at all as the song doesn't inspire me to do so.
    399. Posted by BBCLeftWingBias
    on
    25 Sept 2015 14:05
    "Sam Smith Bond song splits opinion", yeah right, is there anyone, anywhere that actually likes it?
    385. Posted by shaffos
    on
    25 Sept 2015 13:42
    Its not a bad song, but not great. I just heard Andreya Triana latest single 'Fire' and thought this could be a better bond song!
    377. Posted by RealLifeNerd
    on
    25 Sept 2015 13:27
    I have to say, I think the theme song is utter rubbish! Erm.... has Sam Smith watched any Bond films? Has he even heard any Bond theme songs? or has he only read about them on Wikipedia ?

I know people will say wait until the film, but if the film matches this song then I do not hold much hope for the film.
    375. Posted by UncleBod
    on
    25 Sept 2015 13:26
    Tune is OK, but his voice is awful. No strength in his voice. Not a Bond theme.
    369. Posted by weapon of milf destruction
    on
    25 Sept 2015 13:19
    This long awaited Bond song will go down in history as the worst song ever written for a Bond Movie..How did it ever get picked ? Awful
    _
    WAIT FOR THE MOVIE THEN MAYBE YOU'LL FIND OUT

till then, it's just another sam smith song, that happens to be going to be used in a bond film. when it is, judge it in that context, till then, judge as a sam smith song. nothing else

damn philistines
    368. Posted by james
    on
    Not good and certainly not a classic ... utterly forgetable ... shame as I really like Sam Smith but thos is just odd, and dull ... odd and dull ...

there's been 430 comments before BBC closed the replies
    andmcit wrote: »
    Well, I don't think you can say this reaction is only web forums - if you haven't seen it, general comments from members of public on BBC are a similar story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34357110

I haven't specifically selected -ve over +ve, these are the coherent ones though I'm struggling to find many +ve ones:
    on

on

on
    on
    405. Posted by WH
    on
    25 Sept 2015 14:18
    Personally, I quite like it but I do hope for the next movie they move away from a solo artist and go for a band. I'd love to see Muse do a bond theme song.
    402. Posted by PeteSW
    on
    25 Sept 2015 14:14
    Safe, bland uninspiring twee copyist writes and performs safe bland unoriginal twee sketch-a-song Bond theme.
    Neither shaken nor stirred.
    401. Posted by Heisenberg
    on
    25 Sept 2015 14:11
    Smith says this took him 20 minutes to write...surprised it took him that long!! Utter tripe.
    400. Posted by Blackarrow
    on
    25 Sept 2015 14:07
    This song is dull, bland and boring. It is not what I would class as a 'Bond song'. What is needed for a film called Spectre, is something dark and menacing.

After hearing the song, I question whether I want to see it at all as the song doesn't inspire me to do so.
    399. Posted by BBCLeftWingBias
    on
    25 Sept 2015 14:05
    "Sam Smith Bond song splits opinion", yeah right, is there anyone, anywhere that actually likes it?
    385. Posted by shaffos
    on
    25 Sept 2015 13:42
    Its not a bad song, but not great. I just heard Andreya Triana latest single 'Fire' and thought this could be a better bond song!
    377. Posted by RealLifeNerd
    on
    25 Sept 2015 13:27
    I have to say, I think the theme song is utter rubbish! Erm.... has Sam Smith watched any Bond films? Has he even heard any Bond theme songs? or has he only read about them on Wikipedia ?

I know people will say wait until the film, but if the film matches this song then I do not hold much hope for the film.
    375. Posted by UncleBod
    on
    25 Sept 2015 13:26
    Tune is OK, but his voice is awful. No strength in his voice. Not a Bond theme.
    369. Posted by weapon of milf destruction
    on
    This long awaited Bond song will go down in history as the worst song ever written for a Bond Movie..How did it ever get picked ? Awful
    _
    WAIT FOR THE MOVIE THEN MAYBE YOU'LL FIND OUT

till then, it's just another sam smith song, that happens to be going to be used in a bond film. when it is, judge it in that context, till then, judge as a sam smith song. nothing else

damn philistines
    368. Posted by james
    on
    Not good and certainly not a classic ... utterly forgetable ... shame as I really like Sam Smith but thos is just odd, and dull ... odd and dull ...

But again, those comments are from an online site where anonymous people tend to be more vocal in their opinions (positive or negative) than people who will simple hear and judge the song based on how it sounds in the film or the radio and not bother to go online to voice their disdain or approval.

I guess what I'm saying is that in this day and age we tend to hear more from people who dislike something online verses those who are happy with something and don't see a need to post about it. The internet does not represent as much of the everyday world and everyone's opinions as it appears. I admit I fall into the trap of sometimes thinking what I read online is representational of a greater whole when the number of people who don't post anything (good or bad) is much larger.

If you think about it, 430 or 1000 or 10,000 people is tiny in comparison to the millions of non online people we'll never hear from.

I respect, you may not care for the song, I'm just not trying to create a new topic of debate with anybody, just share my appreciation of the song.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 9,020

This is an APPRECIATION thread for people who like the song.
    The social media is in no way a measure for how a song or a movie is viewed by the general public. The social media is mostly swamped by bored young people who have to vent their frustration on anything.
    The instant overwhelming success in the charts all over the world tells a different story.
  • andmcit wrote: »

This is an APPRECIATION thread for people who like the song.
    The social media is in no way a measure for how a song or a movie is viewed by the general public. The social media is mostly swamped by bored young people who have to vent their frustration on anything.
    The instant overwhelming success in the charts all over the world tells a different story.

Very good point! And just want to say I appreciate this thread! Nice to read some enthusiastic posts once in a while. Nothing wrong with that.

• CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    edited September 2015 Posts: 292
    "It is a stranger sound for Bond. It is a different sound for Bond. But it is not wrong."

This seems as good a place as any to share this one and CATCHING BULLETS' thoughts on Sam Smith, WRITING'S ON THE WALL and how things move on, even in the world of the Bond song.

Breaking Bond's fall with WRITING'S ON THE WALL

I personally have no opinion on WotW as I haven't heard it yet and won't until I see it on 26 10 15 and believe it or not want to remain neutral. I still want to read the pro and against views however in the two fractured threads on here!

I tend to agree there's a louder vocal minority on most things online that seem more overwhelming than the majority that may love something or more likely be indifferent. You could very well be correct.

The point of referencing the BBC comments was to show non mi6comminty reaction and the very pro and anti diverging threads. There seems no middle ground.
    I personally have no opinion on WotW as I haven't heard it yet and won't until I see it on 26 10 15 and believe it or not want to remain neutral. I still want to read the pro and against views however in the two fractured threads on here!

I tend to agree there's a louder vocal minority on most things online that seem more overwhelming than the majority that may love something or more likely be indifferent. You could very well be correct.

The point of referencing the BBC comments was to show non mi6comminty reaction and the very pro and anti diverging threads. There seems no middle ground.

I absolutely agree on the point that the song is more polarizing than usual, but to me that's not a bad thing. Shows Smith and company are not going an overly safe route and trying something different.

Hope you do like it when you hear it.
    "It is a stranger sound for Bond. It is a different sound for Bond. But it is not wrong."

This seems as good a place as any to share this one and CATCHING BULLETS' thoughts on Sam Smith, WRITING'S ON THE WALL and how things move on, even in the world of the Bond song.

Great analysis.

Thank you for the link. Read it, very well written and a great analysis. =D>
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Listening to the karaoke version makes me prefer WOTW to Skyfall.
    I will try my best not to listen to this before the cinema release. But I am glad to know there are at least some positive reactions to it out there! :)
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 669
    I liked the song when I first heard it and now I love it. It meets Mark Kermode's evaluation of " can you hum it?" as well.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    jobo wrote: »
    I will try my best not to listen to this before the cinema release. But I am glad to know there are at least some positive reactions to it out there! :)

I love it. Really strange to be one of the very few who loves it. And no, I'm not a Sam Smith fan.
  • Tom & Chris just finished their new podcast about the song. I think I agree with most of it.
    http://jamesbondradio.com/spectre-writings-on-the-wall-sam-smith-reviewed/
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I shared it with my mom yesterday. She liked. And like me we're both iffy on the vocals. All in all a good experience. :-bd
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Tom & Chris just finished their new podcast about the song. I think I agree with most of it.
    http://jamesbondradio.com/spectre-writings-on-the-wall-sam-smith-reviewed/

Thanks for sharing! I think these two hit the nail on the head. It's a classic and most don't realize it yet, but they will.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Although I'm one of the few that enjoys this song, someone uploaded another version with a few more instruments in the background & it sounds great! Check it out...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37ueuc_sam-smith-writing-s-on-the-wall-nc-re-work_music
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The more I hear it, the more I like it. :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @DrGorner

I agree. Since its release, I have been listening to it in a loop and have grown to like it.
  • Found a youtube link to the song