Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• FormulaMasaFormulaMasa Finland
    edited September 2015 Posts: 6
    The melody isn't that bad, I noticed it playing in my ear after listening it, but I think it lacks the strenght of a Bond theme.. and Sam's voice just does not fit the song in my opinion. Having said that, its still a lot better than "Die Another" day or "Another way to die"...
    I see a lot of mixed reactions for the song
    jake24 wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Heard it on YouTube hum no just no this makes all time high and die another day look brilliant. Easily one of not the worst bond theme ever. But let's rank the Craig era bond themes

1. You Know My Name
    2. Another Way to Die
    3. SkyFall

(Time infinity)

4. The writings on the wall

To those who like it enjoy and I hope it was everything you were hoping for. As for me and my wife we heard it and laughed because we thought it was a joke then we cried when we realized it wasn't.
    Real mature.

That was me being nice trust me when I say my actual opinion my first draft of the post was way worse

Identifying really poor songs within the Bond collection and then saying "its better than them" doesn't really help. With Mendes directing, DC very well established, a strong supporting cast (to say the least), I think its understandable that expectations are high for this movie. So the let down re the music is harder to take.
  • I think that SPECTRE box office will be hurt by 100-200 million now that i've heard the song. It felt really bland and while i like much of the instrumentals, the vocals just tore the song apart. Too much of a love song. It will be nowhere near as successful as Skyfall i think
    I really look forward to what people do with their covers of the song:
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    The daily mail has summed this up perfectly "No wonder Sam could write this in 20 minutes he forgot to write a melody and a chorus"
  • ZacharyStaggers007ZacharyStaggers007 Conyers, GA
    Just listened to it the second time and it's growing on me!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited September 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Already No 3 in the Swiss charts in less than 5 hours which is kind of a record.
    This will be huge in the charts.
  • I think that SPECTRE box office will be hurt by 100-200 million now that i've heard the song. It felt really bland and while i like much of the instrumentals, the vocals just tore the song apart. Too much of a love song. It will be nowhere near as successful as Skyfall i think

Bond is too strong of a brand that any song could influence the box office to that degree. And we have to remember that many will actually like the song.

Getting good reviews on iTunes at least. That's not a bad measure of the average moviegoer. Bond fans will no doubt be more divided.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I highly doubt that a song will deter numbers. I mean do you think people went to see Skyfall just to hear Adeles song?
  • I might be wrong. Back in 2012 i was quessing a 700-800 million box office for Skyfall., but it ended up making 1,1 billion. I think this was in larger parts to the song, had the song for Skyfall been bad, it might not have crossed the 1 billion mark. The Skyfall theme played everywhere, and many people knew and sang the chorus. Does the "Writings on the wall" even have a chorus?
  • I highly doubt that a song will deter numbers. I mean do you think people went to see Skyfall just to hear Adeles song?

Im just saying that a great song, has good marketing value

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I agree that it does sound a lot better after a few times, The first
    Time was a shock. I guess it must be growing on me. :)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I highly doubt that a song will deter numbers. I mean do you think people went to see Skyfall just to hear Adeles song?

I know someone who did. Needless to say they weren't someone I wanted to hang around with after that, though.

All joking aside though, the song was a massive element to the film's success. If you say "Skyfall" to the average movie goer the song is probably the first or second thing that will pop into their head.
  • I might be wrong. Back in 2012 i was quessing a 700-800 million box office for Skyfall., but it ended up making 1,1 billion. I think this was in larger parts to the song, had the song for Skyfall been bad, it might not have crossed the 1 billion mark. The Skyfall theme played everywhere, and many people knew and sang the chorus. Does the "Writings on the wall" even have a chorus?

Lots of factors led SF to make what it did. Kind of a convergence of elements. I agree a song can help or hurt, but in terms of the reasons millions go to see a particular film, I doubt the title song
    is the highest thing on their list.

At the time MR was the highest grossing Bond til GE but it's song was not the highest charting of the series. But since it was Barry it was still memorable.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,068
    Oh dear me what a big disappointment with a great opportunity missed. I HAVE NOT listened to it yet and won't until I'm sat watching the film on the 26 10 15 but reading every reaction online this morning it's a definite marmite song with more struggling with it than liking it.

I had serious misgivings and fears where this was going when Sam Smith was announced as for me his voice and style doesn't sit at all with the Bond brand. It's it a bit tragic and sad to hear some justifying the song as being OK and resonating better over the film title sequence by Kleinman really as it has been set up with the very fact SS was chosen in the first place to be a standalone smash separately trading on his popularity alone. It sounds like social media doesn't view it as that and it seems it's not sitting any better wearing a Bond hat integrated into SP either.

It does seem Smith is more Whining on the floor than Writing on the wall though.

A poor bit of strategy on BB and SM's part? I will patiently await the date and see how I feel about the full package. Back in the day, films were seen/heard as one entity with just a poster and foyer standee and the whole net inquisition and desire to devour every last micro nuance is the poorer for it now and the reason I want to remain clear and untainted by spoilers etc as I can.

Personally I believe it's the best way to approach this. A good song shouldn't be one you need to play on repeat 10 times almost in a bid to force it into acceptance. CR's YKMN and SF's Adele both hit me like a thunderbolt the second I saw the superb opening sequences which was so powerful for me and why I truly adore them and can listen repeatedly time and time again no matter what I may be doing and in any mood.

I'll be late in proceeding to pitch in here with thoughts but time will tell.
  • HMBFFHMBFF Lisboa, Portugal
    The more I listen to WOTW, the more I like '24' by Lana Del Rey.
  • Is there another link that I'm not aware of ? It's really annoying the way they chose to release this. It should've been on 007.com as Spotify is not available in all countries.
    Just listened to it the second time and it's growing on me!

The polar opposite for me, I'm afraid. The orchastrated intro kind of reminds me of a slow tempo version of All of Me, the Ruth Etting song, with Daniel Bedingfield's You're Not the One tagged on. But that's probably just me. Somewhere in the world Tom Petty is hurriedly checking his own back catalogue again. But seriously, I just don't think his voice is good enough to carry the song when the music drops away and leaves him squawking for long musically isolated periods. It's ok when the orchastra returns, but it's needed through out.
  • Is there another link that I'm not aware of ? It's really annoying the way they chose to release this. It should've been on 007.com as Spotify is not available in all countries.

I agree should been released on youtube like skyfall

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    HMBFF wrote: »
    The more I listen to WOTW, the more I like '24' by Lana Del Rey.

Everyone keeps mentioning this as a potential Spectre song but I just can't see it myself.

Spot iffy doesn't work where I am. Can I hear it anywhere else?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    WOW, seems me, @RC7 and Calvin Dyson are the only ones really loving the song...
  • Me too @Mendes
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Just listened to the song & instantly got chills. Sam Smith's voice is so haunting. I absolutely love the chorus.
  • WOW, seems me, @RC7 and Calvin Dyson are the only ones really loving the song...

Count me in.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited September 2015 Posts: 8,009
    Getafix wrote: »

https://youtu.be/IixJvOvdoLk

Try this, @Getafix
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Getafix wrote: »

If you have iTunes you can listen to it for free on Apple Music. The first three months of that are free and you can stop using it whenever you want.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    WOW, seems me, @RC7 and Calvin Dyson are the only ones really loving the song...

I really love it too... That makes just 4 of us. :-)