Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC

This is what I meant by limpwristed. Comp
    Mallory wrote: »
    Not a bad effort. Stronger than Skyfall lyrically but lacks the 'oomph'. I was expecting the melody to be belted out in the last third of the song and it just didn't.

This is what I meant about limpwristed. Compare Tom Jones belting out Thunderbaaaaaaallllllll to the 'climax' of this. Just seems half-hearted.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The more I listen, the more I like it.
  • pjvpjv Australia
    I didn't love it. The instrumental 15 second teaser was my favourite part of it on the first listen.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @RC7 and @Kronsteen, you both hit the nail on the head. I can just imagine how DK is going to let loose with his TS. Also, like someone else mentioned you can easily see certain cues (hopefully) woven into Newman's score. I'm happy with the song.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    =D> =D> =D>

@Sam Smith
    I'd be interested to see how the score carries on into the film, specifically the part of the score for the first scene after the title sequence...
    As others have said, it's a grower, gets better each time I listen! Feels like a Bond song, but at the same time, something a little different (in a good way).
  • I was worried all along bout the squeaky voice and guess what, it's there and spoils it
  • walter1985walter1985 Rotterdam
    edited September 2015 Posts: 91
    for the Dutch fans here: can't wait to hear Gerard Joling's cover.
  • "How do I live? How do I breathe? When you're not here I'm suffocating."
  • This song has boosted my curiosity about the title sequence tenfold. I think we're going to get something very haunting and visually dark.
  • I'll wait for the release of the score I think. Did not enjoy the falsetto at all. Felt like he was building well for a climactic finish that was never fulfilled. A little cheated Mr Smith!
  • Not the same old Bond song.
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    Wow I don't know what to think. Song is a great piece of work and very catchy , BUT it's not better than skyfall and I think the first 15 seconds of melody should of been incorporated more into the song to really enhance the bondian effect for me at least. This tho can easily be incorporated into the score(you listening Mr. Newman plz ) hopefully the titles will be amazing to help balance the song out nicely :-)
  • michallo_w wrote: »

I ffff-ing hate Spotify!! Always had! I prefer good old free mp3 downloads via SoulSeek (great software program, NO ads: http://www.soulseekqt.net/news/node/1 ). This bloody online Spotify player isn't working. I keep pressing play, and it's not loading. Anyone uploaded the song to YouTube already?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I love the theme and melody. (The instrumental will be the one I prefer.) I'm mixed on the vocals. They are okay but with some others, it will grow on me in time. All in all, I enjoyed it. Now bring on SPECTRE. ;)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Listened another time on Spotify and its a really nice track. I like Smith's voice, though, and can see people being put off by his high pitch. But I like it. @Gareth007fan, saw your comments (?) on Twitter, not a very positive reception there for most people! We disagree on his voice though; high pitched and squeaky are very different and his is the former.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    This song has boosted my curiosity about the title sequence tenfold. I think we're going to get something very haunting and visually dark.

It would be a bit more haunting if they took the vocals out. That voice is for picking up chicks. Just let Sam sing for the closing credits.
    First thing I notice is his articulation is not that well. I don't hear the words that well.

Further I don't like his high pitched voice. Matter of personal taste.

The orchestra and melody are ok. Within the movie I expect it will bring more feel to it.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2015 Posts: 10,586
    Whoever isn't liking the song, just listen to Die Another Day right before it and I promise you'll love it.
    Talking about WotW on BBC Breakfast now...
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sorry guys, I'm not a fan of it. Although it might work better over the titles.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    just got done listening to it for the third time... need to properly let it sink in, then digest it....

i really like it.... i always like the scores that dabble a bit with the Bond sound - but don't go full on cliche' with either the lyrics or music.. the ones that kinda keep one foot in the contemporary, but the other foot in the past - i think Adele's "Skyfall" did this beautifully, and I feel the same "The Writings On The Wall".. it captures a lot of classic and traditional old school Bond theme elements and sound, but manages to stand as a contemporary sounding piece of music...

Sam Smith sounds wonderful, as i expected him to.

The orchestral music behind him is lavish and rich - i do hope Newman incorporates it into his score - it will be a damn shame if he doesn't
    Thoughts on the lyrics?

having read one of the leaked drafts of the script - i think Smith's lyrics do a good job of incorporating a lot of the film's themes, and story plots.. "a million shards of glass, that haunt me from my past.".. so eloquently paints a picture of Bond's recent past in the films, and also alludes to story elements from this film..
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Just heard it. And I was right. Don't like it, don't like his voice and it is, shall we say…boring. Hope DK got some wicked titles to watch as this is playing, not as annoying as Madonna or Jack White's efforts, but still not good.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,329
    Wasn't sure about it at first but after my fourth listen I really like it. Not sure if it's one I'll be singing whilst walking down the dual carriageway ala goldfinger but it certainly gets the emotions flowing.
    Just wish it had that lovely stirring instrumental at the end perhaps.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    jake24 wrote: »
    Whoever isn't liking the song, just listen to Die Another Day right before it and I promise you'll love it.
    The instrumental is good. ;)

• DCisared wrote: »
    Wasn't sure about it at first but after my fourth listen I really like it. Not sure if it's one I'll be signing whilst walking down the dual carriageway ala goldfinger but it certainly gets the emotions flowing.
    Just wish it had that lovely stirring instrumental at the end perhaps.

I agree 100%, as much as I like the song, they really missed an opportunity to end it with a bang by bringing in that melody to drive it home.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Two things this song needs 1 another arrangement 2 another Artist
    Sorry I really don't rate this at all it's a karaoke nightmare no one will be able to sing it.
    Sort of reminds me of micheal jackson earth song .
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,552
    They're calling it a Karaoke disaster, as the falsetto isn't easy to sing along to. They're talking about how it's going to be divisive but they don't seem to dislike it. You never know with reporters. The main part of the report is about it's chances to reach #1 next Friday.

Can't wait to listen to the instrumental.

Here's a challenge they've just set - Try and listen to the theme and, after you've got this thought into your head, try not to think of Michael Jackson's Earth Song ;)

For me, the song is around the middle of the Bond themes, I like it, but there are many better.