Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• I'm honestly not disappointed one bit, i thought it was great. I mean I may have just been worried about it not being good.
    While we wait for official YouTube/iTunes launch - it's on Spotify http://po.st/WOTWsp
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I'd have to listen to it again, but so far, pretty mixed. Nice tune, but, yep, you guessed, not keen on the voice. The falsetto parts are a bit much for my liking
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Mallory wrote: »
    Not a bad effort. Stronger than Skyfall lyrically but lacks the 'oomph'. I was expecting the melody to be belted out in the last third of the song and it just didn't.

I agree, it did seem to be crescendo-ing into something that never quite arrived. And like I mentioned before, there seemed to be a lot of different ideas put into it that made it feel slightly crowded. Definitely will need further listens but I really liked my first impression of it.
  • I think it's a beautiful song, but it is oddly enough less Bondian than that 15 second teaser would indicate.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Mixed emotions here but I love the music and Sam Smith's high notes at points. Well written, too. I need to hear it a few more times though to be fair!
  • 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    You can listen to it on Spotify!
  • Now that the excitement has waned a bit, I have to say I am a little disappointed. It's not a bad effort, but this really doesn't top Skyfall imo. Sam Smith was a darling during the interview though.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The song is available on Spotify according to the tweeter.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    Meh. I dunno about this one. I'll listen again.
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    I feel cheated!

It's so obvious why he released that 15 second snippet - as soon as the intro ends there's a switch to the worst of Sam Smith, turned to 11.

I was so optimistic after that teaser but the rest of the track is so squeaky it reminds me of doing the dishes! :-(
  • DomesticKittenDomesticKitten Blofeld's Lap
    Need more time to decide about the song as a whole, however this will integrate into the soundtrack of the film beautifully I'm sure. It sounds way too much like an establishing film score to not be woven in.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    edited September 2015 Posts: 538
    Just listened again. Going to like the instrumental. Don't like the song. Nope. There I said it. Don't get the lyrics. Maybe some of the meaning will come together after seeing the movie. I wish he had time to go back and edit. Sing a little less. Let the music breathe in spots. Go falsetto just at the end. Build into it. Tell a story that I can understand. "Live…Breathe….Suffocating"… "Suffocating?" … this is the stuff of teenage girls - not a Bond movie. Dang it.
  • I'm in the middle of an ad-agency in Singapore so I only had it playing through my Mac's speakers but I liked what I heard.
    Found it on BBC's website here in America and just listened. Music is great and the high voice is very interesting, but it's too much for my taste. Not the worst Bond song but certainly not the greatest. I'm sure it'll be a huge hit and get some Oscar love though.

Here is the link for my fellow Americans

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p033dnsg
    First listen really good. Nuanced. Which is fitting for Craig's portrayal of bond.
  • Well, that was not very epic was it. I feel cheated completely, too. Those 15 seconds are classic, but then it just falls apart. Not enough tune going on. Most of the song takes up with just hearing sams voice. This feels like a sam smith song, but then they've just tried to add a bondy theme with it. No, I knew it all along. Soon as I heard he was announced my disappointment kicked in. Big mistake. I think this film will be great, but they've fu**ed up on the tune.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 330
    Well, that was not very epic was it. I feel cheated completely, too. Those 15 seconds are classic, but then it just falls apart. Not enough tune going on. Most of the song takes up with just hearing sams voice. This feels like a sam smith song, but then they've just tried to add a bondy theme with it. No, I knew it all along. Soon as I heard he was announced my disappointment kicked in. Big mistake. I think this film will be great, but they've fu**ed up on the tune.

It certainly lacked oomph!!! Which is whats let it down.
  • I don't really fancy Smith's voice but I have to admit it works quite well in this case. Love the music, it sounds old school somehow. But no so sure about the lyrics, too much love and as it's a man singing I feel like it's Bond speaking and it's, to me, disturbing a bit.
  • I was hoping I'd wake up and find it on 007.com. No luck so far. Maybe later.
  • I really like the orchestration, particularly some of those very dark flourishes. Also the lyrics
    tie in nicely with the story.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 3,333
    Whilst not terrible it's a bit sparse for my tastes. I was hoping it would be more dramatic with an added oomph factor, but it's rather a dreamy ballad that doesn't really go anywhere. Certainly not the best Bong song, nor is it better than Adele's SF, but having not seen SP it might suit the tone of the movie. It'll be interesting to hear how different the movie version is to the radio version. Don't love it, but don't hate it either. Very MothR for me (middle of the road)
  • 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    After re-listening to it several times on Spotify, here's my opinion:
    1. Wonderful instrumental music. This is very bondian.
    2. Sam Smith's voice is okay, EXCEPT for the high-pitched parts. Yes, I know it's meant to be a love song, but those bits completely throw me out of the listening flow.
    3. The actual title sequence has to be top-notch to even it out and I believe it will be. In Daniel Kleinman we trust!
    4. I feel like Newman can easily incorporate the song in the actual soundtrack. I can already imagine a few landscape shots (e.g. Bond on a boat on the misty lake) with parts of Writing's on the Wall being woven into the music.

All in all - Although my feelings are mixed and more negative than positive, I lay all my hope in the visuals of the title sequence.
  • KronsteenKronsteen Stockholm
    Fantastic song! A real epic and very haunting ballad, with amazing instrumental parts. I'm very pleased!
  • RC7RC7
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Nuanced. Which is fitting for Craig's portrayal of bond.

Agree. I think it's a great bit of work and nothing like the rest of the canon, which I was hoping for. My wife thinks it's much better than SF; I'm inclined to agree. I think it has some really beautiful moments in it.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 161
    Overall i think it's a good Bond theme but there are some things which don't make it a great Bond theme. The music and lyrics were definetely there but unlike Skyfall the refrain just STOPS, doesn't pick up rhythm, and it's also too high pitched for 007 standards.
  • Thoughts on the lyrics?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    =D> =D> =D>

@Sam Smith
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    =D> =D> =D>

@Sam Smith