The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Sir Rog is on Steve Wright's on BBC Radio 2 this afternoon.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Would that be the same Steve Wright who once claimed that the first Bond film was made in the 1920's?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Ha! Didn't know that.
  • I absolutely love Moore's films, I prefer Connery and Brosnan over him, making him my third favorite actor in the role, but I just love them. TSWLM and FYEO are in my top 10 favorite Bond movies list, but I can sit down an easily watch LALD, TMWTGG, and Octopussy and have a very fun time with those flicks. No doubt he left his own legacy within the Bond MYTHOS as he was the first to successfully follow Connery, despite being the third actor in the role. I think the mistake made with OHMSS (despite being my 2nd favorite film in the series) was that there were shades of Connery, even though Lazenby was great, he didn't really have time to stretch the role into his own. Moore at least made the role his own, establishing his own trademarks to distance himself from Connery, and Lazenby, and I think the series continued on through the 70s and 80s because of that. He was a tremendous Bond.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Sir Roger is about to appear on Radio 4's Front Row at 7.15 this evening.
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Sir Roger is about to appear on Radio 4's Front Row at 7.15 this evening.
    Busy man...

• edited September 2015 Posts: 11,189
    He seems to make an appearance around this time every year.

Listening to Radio 4 now:

"I thought Skyfall was probably the best Bond film ever made".

Crazy to think Rog never had an Aston Martin.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Just had a thought. When he was just asked if he would make a cameo in a Bond film if approached, I suddenly wondered why he wasn't asked to play Kinkade in Skyfall. Mendes has confirmed he wanted Sean to play it, why not Sir Rog?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Getafix wrote: »

But he had a car that turned into a submarine. ;)

Getafix wrote: »
    Well, not in a Bond film, don't forget Cannonball Run.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Heck I've always found the Lotus to be far superior to the over exposed Aston. I call for a Lotus comeback in B25.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I like the new Jaguar F type. I would like to see Bond in a different car. If he's getting the keys from Q the car has to be British. But if it's something he picks up along the way then almost anything goes. I loved the Toyota in YOLT.
    Maybe a cheating villain should own a Volxwagon in an upcoming film :p
    Perfect for Dominic Green
    Well, Patrice was driving an Audi.....
    I absolutely love Moore's films, I prefer Connery and Brosnan over him, making him my third favorite actor in the role, but I just love them. TSWLM and FYEO are in my top 10 favorite Bond movies list, but I can sit down an easily watch LALD, TMWTGG, and Octopussy and have a very fun time with those flicks. No doubt he left his own legacy within the Bond MYTHOS as he was the first to successfully follow Connery, despite being the third actor in the role. I think the mistake made with OHMSS (despite being my 2nd favorite film in the series) was that there were shades of Connery, even though Lazenby was great, he didn't really have time to stretch the role into his own. Moore at least made the role his own, establishing his own trademarks to distance himself from Connery, and Lazenby, and I think the series continued on through the 70s and 80s because of that. He was a tremendous Bond.

Your description of having "fun" with Roger Moore's Bond movies, is a very accurate description of those movies. It was a "fun" Bond era. It was very good "make believe". You got your money's worth. They were like the movie I saw over the weekend, "A Walk in the Woods" with Robert Redford, Nick Nolte and Emma Thompson. It is not a great movie. But it was entertaining and had me leaving the theater with a smile on my face. It's why no matter who or what comes after, Roger Moore will always hold a fond and special place in the heart of most Bond fans.
  • Ellis wrote: »
    I absolutely love Moore's films, I prefer Connery and Brosnan over him, making him my third favorite actor in the role, but I just love them. TSWLM and FYEO are in my top 10 favorite Bond movies list, but I can sit down an easily watch LALD, TMWTGG, and Octopussy and have a very fun time with those flicks. No doubt he left his own legacy within the Bond MYTHOS as he was the first to successfully follow Connery, despite being the third actor in the role. I think the mistake made with OHMSS (despite being my 2nd favorite film in the series) was that there were shades of Connery, even though Lazenby was great, he didn't really have time to stretch the role into his own. Moore at least made the role his own, establishing his own trademarks to distance himself from Connery, and Lazenby, and I think the series continued on through the 70s and 80s because of that. He was a tremendous Bond.

Your description of having "fun" with Roger Moore's Bond movies, is a very accurate description of those movies. It was a "fun" Bond era. It was very good "make believe". You got your money's worth. They were like the movie I saw over the weekend, "A Walk in the Woods" with Robert Redford, Nick Nolte and Emma Thompson. It is not a great movie. But it was entertaining and had me leaving the theater with a smile on my face. It's why no matter who or what comes after, Roger Moore will always hold a fond and special place in the heart of most Bond fans.

Agreed, in fact I remember seeing a clip that was made around the release of TSWLM of Roger Moore saying that the audience should be invited to laugh and have fun with the film. Of coarse I think he shouldn't have done AVTAK, but I still can sit back and enjoy a Moore film. I find that I watch LALD and TMWTGG the most despite not being my favorites of the Moore era.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Sir Roger Moore is coming to my home town theatre for 'An evening with Sir Roger Moore'. Tickets are booked and I can' t wait. The legend and national treasure in the flesh!
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I went to see his 'Evening With' tour in Leeds last year. He is great value, very sharp, still quick witted and the audience absolutely love him. You can almost feel the warmth. Enjoy the show dude.
  • RC7RC7
    cwl007 wrote: »
    I went to see his 'Evening With' tour in Leeds last year. He is great value, very sharp, still quick witted and the audience absolutely love him. You can almost feel the warmth. Enjoy the show dude.

Agreed. A great night out.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Thanks guys. Yes even recently all his interviews are sharp and he exudes natural charm and wit.
  • I just read on his Q&A section on his website that he was seriously considered for the role of the Jackal in Day of The Jackal. Wow & weird & what if ?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Drax vs Bond? That might have been epic. I loved Day of the Jackal.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Murdock wrote: »
    Drax vs Bond? That might have been epic. I loved Day of the Jackal.

Me too. Great film and Edward Fox was amazing as was Michael Lonsdale. Having said that, Roger Moore (especially Roger circa 1973) would have been superb as well. I really would have liked to have seen him in that role.

Brosnan was excellent in a similar capacity in another Frederick Forsyth adaptation, namely the Fourth Protocol.

What a series of coincidences that would have been, had Rog done Day of the Jackal as well.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I think director Fred Zinnemann thought he was too "well known" for the role and would distract from the idea that The Jackal is meant to be anonymous.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Honestly, I think Roger doesn't get enough love on the Internet. He's constantly dissed for being too light, but he's had his dark/cold moments in pretty much every film except Live and Let Die, Moonraker and A View to a Kill. And even if his movies aren't critically the best, they're always great fun.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, Roger was the Bond I grew up with, and I think he
    did a great job as 007. =D>
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Agreed, Roger was the Bond I grew up with, and I think he
    did a great job as 007. =D>

Same here. Sir Roger is my most "comfortable" and reminiscent Bond.. if that makes sense.

=D>
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think whichever Bond we grew up with, somehow
    becomes " your Bond" Much as I love Craig and the new
    films, as you say it's always very comfortable to sit down
    and watch one of Roger's Bonds. :)