Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

Been playing MSG5, great so far. Slow start but once it lets you into its world, it's a ton of fun
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2015 Posts: 28,694
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Any word on the technical issues with the PC version of Arkham Knight? I'd love to play the game but last I checked there are still major bugs and quirks and whatever.

I'd stay well clear for now, @DarthDimi, until you know that all the issues have been cleared up and you don't waste money on a game you can't even play. It's the big gaming craze now, it seems: developers eager to meet a deadline release a game that they know isn't completely playable, and then wonder why gamers get upset and refuse to buy any more of their games. Remember the days when games were actually released when they were done, back when developers couldn't rely on day-one patches to cover up their failures? Ah, nostalgia.

As far as I understand it, WB Montreal were given the PC port of Arkham Knight to do and somehow, made a completely unplayable mess that saw every copy of it tossed off the shelves in mad fury. I feel sorry for the PC users who purchased the $40 season pass (which hasn't been worth it anyway) and then found out that they couldn't even play the game anyway. Now Rocksteady are handling it, and presumably it will be playable before the holidays hit, but you never know. Obviously they didn't expect having to spend their time fixing this type of issue as they trusted WB Montreal to be at least slightly competent with the job they were given.

WB Montreal has a history of incompetence, sending buggy games to the shelves, as with Arkham Origins, which can be maddening at times. If this is the developer than the Arkham series is being gifted to, maybe we're all better off with no more Batman games.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Last game I played was Destiny. I enjoy it but not enough to get The Taken King.
    I'm debating picking up 007: Bloodstone and the Splintercell trilogy HD on the PS3. I just need that spy/espionage fix that we don't seem to be getting anytime soon.

Definitely pick up the splinter cell HD trilogy. The games still hold up and I was just playing Chaos Theory today. It's by far the best entry in the series. Dont delay picking it up.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Last game I played was Destiny. I enjoy it but not enough to get The Taken King.
    I'm debating picking up 007: Bloodstone and the Splintercell trilogy HD on the PS3. I just need that spy/espionage fix that we don't seem to be getting anytime soon.

Definitely pick up the splinter cell HD trilogy. The games still hold up and I was just playing Chaos Theory today. It's by far the best entry in the series. Dont delay picking it up.

I've considered picking up the Splinter Cell HD Trilogy myself, but as I've already got all three games in it and the consoles with which to play them, should I buy it?

Anyway, I've also been playing a massive amount of Metal Gear Solid V. The game's too huge, that I have to tell everyone considering it right now. Even twelve days after its release and completing the main story, I've not discovered half of what the game has to offer.

I've considered picking up the Splinter Cell HD Trilogy myself, but as I've already got all three games in it and the consoles with which to play them, should I buy it?

Anyway, I've also been playing a massive amount of Metal Gear Solid V. The game's too huge, that I have to tell everyone considering it right now. Even twelve days after its release and completing the main story, I've not discovered half of what the game has to offer.

I have the original ps2 sc games too but I rarely if ever bring out the ps2 so getting the hd collection consolidated onto one disc, with graphical improvements and at a cheap price for the PS3 was definitely a worthwhile investment. I did the same for the metal gear solid hd collection but because I'm such a huge fan I already have multiple copies of each game with varying design in covers and packaging. As for MGS5, it's strange because it feels like the best game but simultaneously the worst. Out of disappointment and anger I actually sold it and I may buy it back after I can come up with a rationale to tie the story up in a way that best suits my mind in a way that can make sense of what Kojima did.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

I have the original ps2 sc games too but I rarely if ever bring out the ps2 so getting the hd collection consolidated onto one disc, with graphical improvements and at a cheap price for the PS3 was definitely a worthwhile investment. I did the same for the metal gear solid hd collection but because I'm such a huge fan I already have multiple copies of each game with varying design in covers and packaging. As for MGS5, it's strange because it feels like the best game but simultaneously the worst. Out of disappointment and anger I actually sold it and I may buy it back after I can come up with a rationale to tie the story up in a way that best suits my mind in a way that can make sense of what Kojima did.

(Not that I have any problems with it, but...) If you ignore the twist, there's no actual snarls. It's not that hard, as it only pops up in the final mission, and every other end is tied.
    It's just annoying that the twist kind of robs you of what's been built up for so long. The one thing to come out of it is though, is that Solid Snake's level of badassness increased. The new time line conveys why.
    That's why I said ignore the twist, it ain't hard.
  • Regarding 'the twist'... I guess I'd better stick to spoiler tags, even though I think most people have heard already...
    There are cool aspects of it, as well as part that make zero sense.

The good:
    * With the ending (tape labeled 'Operation Intrude') it adds a whole new layer to the original Metal Gear. Solid snake did not kill Big Boss- he killed Venom Snake. Big Boss didn't actually fight with Solid until Metal Gear 2.

* Big Boss didn't actually lose his arm after all! High five!

* In an awesome but at the same time cruel way, you, the player, actually get to feel like you are Big Boss, only to find out you aren't. I could compare it to waking up from a dream

The bad:
    * The trailers made it seem like MGSV was going to be the story to show how Big Boss went from being a good guy to a bad guy. We were pretty much lied to, really. Normally I'd be hopeful of a MGS6 that would tell that story, but not with Kojima gone.

* How does some random ass Medic fight as well on the battlefield as the real Big Boss?? I get that while in his 9 year coma he was subjected to hypnotism and whatever else to make himself believe he's the real deal, but I thought BB was supposed to be 'legendary on the battlefield'. This medic never was trained by The Boss and lived through Snake Eater. He's just a fucking Medic with BB's memories.

If they really wanted to do the 'big twist' that you're not actually playing as BB, then they should have made you an early clone that we never knew about... a proto clone. Now that would have been cool. He had Solid Snake, Liquid Snake and Solidus- now holy crap, Venom Snake, we never knew about him!
    A much better twist than 'oh BTW you're actually the stupid Medic from Ground Zeroes'

Excluding the story that will no doubt leave opinions split, there's no denying MGSV plays the best, looks the best, and is insanely fun.
    And a game with more replay value? There is NONE.
    I have Arkham Knight on PC and it seems to run a lot better after the patch. I've also been playing a lot of H1Z1, Elder Scrolls Online, and just picked up Shadow of Mordor for $15 with all the DLC.
    Regarding 'the twist'... I guess I'd better stick to spoiler tags, even though I think most people have heard already...
    There are cool aspects of it, as well as part that make zero sense.

The good:
    * With the ending (tape labeled 'Operation Intrude') it adds a whole new layer to the original Metal Gear. Solid snake did not kill Big Boss- he killed Venom Snake. Big Boss didn't actually fight with Solid until Metal Gear 2.

* Big Boss didn't actually lose his arm after all! High five!

* In an awesome but at the same time cruel way, you, the player, actually get to feel like you are Big Boss, only to find out you aren't. I could compare it to waking up from a dream

The bad:
    * The trailers made it seem like MGSV was going to be the story to show how Big Boss went from being a good guy to a bad guy. We were pretty much lied to, really. Normally I'd be hopeful of a MGS6 that would tell that story, but not with Kojima gone.

* How does some random ass Medic fight as well on the battlefield as the real Big Boss?? I get that while in his 9 year coma he was subjected to hypnotism and whatever else to make himself believe he's the real deal, but I thought BB was supposed to be 'legendary on the battlefield'. This medic never was trained by The Boss and lived through Snake Eater. He's just a fucking Medic with BB's memories.

If they really wanted to do the 'big twist' that you're not actually playing as BB, then they should have made you an early clone that we never knew about... a proto clone. Now that would have been cool. He had Solid Snake, Liquid Snake and Solidus- now holy crap, Venom Snake, we never knew about him!
    A much better twist than 'oh BTW you're actually the stupid Medic from Ground Zeroes'

Excluding the story that will no doubt leave opinions split, there's no denying MGSV plays the best, looks the best, and is insanely fun.
    And a game with more replay value? There is NONE.
    Yes, we were lied to, but in all honesty, if you needed more than what MGS3 and MGS4 told you to learn how Big Boss descended into madness, you were never paying attention to MGS3 and MGS4. MGSV is simply the explanation of how Big Boss could survive rockets at Outer Heaven but not a lighter and some hairspray at Zanzibarland. And it's an explanation I accept, because it doesn't retcon much.
  • MGSV is simply the explanation of how Big Boss could survive rockets at Outer Heaven but not a lighter and some hairspray at Zanzibarland.
    LOL That's a very good point

• Sort of digging up an old topic here, but now that I've played Phantom Pain, it's apparent Big Boss doesn't really talk that much. Would it have killed anyone to just keep Hayter and not piss off thousands of people? [-(
    Kiefer is awesome, but now after the fact, it seems the whole fiasco could easily have been avoided....

Also, on a semi related topic, I just checked ebay and i now seriously regret not buying the iDroid phone case

large.jpg

I remember scoffing at the $100 preorder a year ago, but now that I kind of want one they're pushing $500!!
    The in-game iDroid has a light and Snake keeps using a f*cking flashlight?
    Sort of digging up an old topic here, but now that I've played Phantom Pain, it's apparent Big Boss doesn't really talk that much. Would it have killed anyone to just keep Hayter and not piss off thousands of people? [-(
    Kiefer is awesome, but now after the fact, it seems the whole fiasco could easily have been avoided....

Kojima's reasoning for that was so thin that he may as well have just out-and-out said "We wanted to hire a celebrity this time because everybody else has been doing it since forever."

Either way, I'm fine with Sutherland. He does a pretty damn good job with the role, especially with his performance in the cassette tapes.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Any word on the technical issues with the PC version of Arkham Knight? I'd love to play the game but last I checked there are still major bugs and quirks and whatever.

I'd stay well clear for now, @DarthDimi, until you know that all the issues have been cleared up and you don't waste money on a game you can't even play. It's the big gaming craze now, it seems: developers eager to meet a deadline release a game that they know isn't completely playable, and then wonder why gamers get upset and refuse to buy any more of their games. Remember the days when games were actually released when they were done, back when developers couldn't rely on day-one patches to cover up their failures? Ah, nostalgia.

As far as I understand it, WB Montreal were given the PC port of Arkham Knight to do and somehow, made a completely unplayable mess that saw every copy of it tossed off the shelves in mad fury. I feel sorry for the PC users who purchased the $40 season pass (which hasn't been worth it anyway) and then found out that they couldn't even play the game anyway. Now Rocksteady are handling it, and presumably it will be playable before the holidays hit, but you never know. Obviously they didn't expect having to spend their time fixing this type of issue as they trusted WB Montreal to be at least slightly competent with the job they were given.

WB Montreal has a history of incompetence, sending buggy games to the shelves, as with Arkham Origins, which can be maddening at times. If this is the developer than the Arkham series is being gifted to, maybe we're all better off with no more Batman games.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
    Thank you for the update, sir. I'll keep myself from wasting money on that game then until all issues are resolved.

And to think Arkham Asylum was such a brilliant game! (Though I did experience one minor quirk once... ;-))
  • Just wanted to share- I offered to coach my girlfriend through the beginning of Phantom Pain, since she wanted to understand what's been keeping me playing so long.

maxresdefault.jpg

Two minutes into it she says 'Great, do I have to stare up this guys asshole the entire game?" =))

lol That's my girlfriend!
    Just a follow up I worked hard today and am now up to rank 14 in worst nightmare mode I plan on beating it tomorrow (which will inlock worst nightmare skin) and then I just have one more shadow protector rank to beat and I have beaten all of the dark knight ranks. The question of whether I will beat the game in I am the night mode is one I am wrestling with on the one hand I have gotten up to the half way point twice on the other I really hate copperhead's boss battle she is just grrrrr.

Like I said I have decide to try and beat as many achievements as possible in origins because I am on a bit of a batman kick lately more then likely due to this whole Jim as batman thing. I beat like 7 achievements that I one time deemed unabrainable so honestly I am quite thrilled with my progress.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Sort of digging up an old topic here, but now that I've played Phantom Pain, it's apparent Big Boss doesn't really talk that much. Would it have killed anyone to just keep Hayter and not piss off thousands of people? [-(

Also, on a semi related topic, I just checked ebay and i now seriously regret not buying the iDroid phone case

large.jpg

I remember scoffing at the $100 preorder a year ago, but now that I kind of want one they're pushing $500!!

@Master_Dahark, @Agent007391, why was Hayter replaced, exactly? I've always wondered with casual interest.

As for the twist, I'm sorry for the fans that were expecting something more from the game. I liked some story beats from MGS4 (the only MGS I've played), like a naturally trained warrior (Snake), going against an army of men who get their skills instantly from tech (the Patriots) and the emphasis on free-will and liberty, but overall my ignorance of the previous games left me bemused most of the time. While the games no doubt have a great sense of iconography to them and a rich mythology, sometimes I just want to shout at the screen while watching footage when Kojima thinks a cutscene running at well over an hour is something he had to have gamers sit through just to see some endings that a less indulgent writer could've wrapped up in half the time. I'd have more interest in playing the other games in the series, but that's just the problem: I'd be watching more than actually "playing" them. Paying sixty bucks for a product that's 80% film and 20% game isn't worth it, and that's what these games feel like to me sometimes.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Just a follow up I worked hard today and am now up to rank 14 in worst nightmare mode I plan on beating it tomorrow (which will inlock worst nightmare skin) and then I just have one more shadow protector rank to beat and I have beaten all of the dark knight ranks. The question of whether I will beat the game in I am the night mode is one I am wrestling with on the one hand I have gotten up to the half way point twice on the other I really hate copperhead's boss battle she is just grrrrr.

Like I said I have decide to try and beat as many achievements as possible in origins because I am on a bit of a batman kick lately more then likely due to this whole Jim as batman thing. I beat like 7 achievements that I one time deemed unabrainable so honestly I am quite thrilled with my progress.

@Risico007, I Am the Knight Mode's difficulties can be worked around by instinctively pausing and restarting your progress any time you think you're close to death, or if you're too late, quickly switch off your PS3. Granted, such a tactic is not always successful, but it's better than having to face starting from the beginning again. I've never tried to beat the game in IATKM simply because I'm not a masochist.
    Just wanted to share- I offered to coach my girlfriend through the beginning of Phantom Pain, since she wanted to understand what's been keeping me playing so long.

maxresdefault.jpg

Two minutes into it she says 'Great, do I have to stare up this guys asshole the entire game?" =))

lol That's my girlfriend!

She's a definite keeper, @Master_Dahark. I remember when you shared with us the time that she told Liam Neeson's Fallout character to check her character's dick when he asked if she was a boy or a girl, which subsequently made me cry because I was laughing so hard.

Wait until she finds out
    that it was the real Big Boss she was demeaning that whole time. Awkward...
    @Master_Dahark, @Agent007391, why was Hayter replaced, exactly? I've always wondered with casual interest.

Supposedly, because Hayter couldn't accurately portray a character in his late 40s and Sutherland could. Sutherland barely talks, is only 2 years older than Hayter, and is new to the character in said character's final game. It should have been Hayter, but I have no real problems with Sutherland, just Kojima's reasoning.

Supposedly, because Hayter couldn't accurately portray a character in his late 40s and Sutherland could. Sutherland barely talks, is only 2 years older than Hayter, and is new to the character in said character's final game. It should have been Hayter, but I have no real problems with Sutherland, just Kojima's reasoning.

What? Hayter's voice for Boss and Snake never changed that much at all, so why did Kojima think that this time he couldn't pull off doing the same thing he'd done countless times before? Hayter's versatile and a staple of the series, so the logic there is nil, really. It sounds like there was another reason behind the choice and Kojima just used that as a poor excuse to cover it up. Who knows...
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    Been playing MGS V: phantom pain and it is a good game but I think the reviews have been rating it to high. For me personally it's a 8/10. Story was pretty meh and could of not been done and series still could of been fine in my eyes and side ops got way to repetitive for my taste but graphics were very well done and free roam was great as well except for going to Africa it seemed color wise dull and boring compared to Afghanistan but that's probably due to my taste. Probably going to trade it in so I can pick up my uncharted collection :-)

What? Hayter's voice for Boss and Snake never changed that much at all, so why did Kojima think that this time he couldn't pull off doing the same thing he'd done countless times before? Hayter's versatile and a staple of the series, so the logic there is nil, really. It sounds like there was another reason behind the choice and Kojima just used that as a poor excuse to cover it up. Who knows...

There was another reason: "This time, we hire a celebrity!"
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 12,837
    @thelivingroyale, I was so pumped for AC Syndicate a while back when following its development, but since then I've waned in that excitement. Nothing they've shown has amazed me, especially the combat which looks way too fast and jumpy. The characters annoy me too and after what happened with Unity's release I am extremely hesitant to pick it up anywhere near its release. Fingers crossed Ubi haven't mucked it up again this time.

I think the combat looks fun. Seems like a good middle ground between Unity's heavier feeling combat and the "easily decimate an entire army" combat of the games from Brotherhood to Rogue and I like the emphasis on hidden weapons and fist fights, makes it seem much more realistic and I don't have to suspend my disbelief like I did when I managed to blend in while wearing an armoury in previous games.

I'm also interested in the characters. On one hand you have Evie who is dedicated 100% to the creed and to honouring the assassins that came before her, on the other hand you have Jacob who is a charismatic gang leader determined to end the class divide (it seems be the theme of the story, fighting for the working class, which as a leftie (I was thrilled with the Corbyn win yesterday) pleases me). Seems like they'll have an interesting dynamic, and since it's being made by the Freedom Cry team, I think we're in good hands. London seems like the best open world yet. It looks even more stunning and alive than Paris in Unity, with architecture on par with AC 2's Italian cites and just as varied as Black Flag's carribean. The industrial setting should be a big shakeup too, just like AC III's shift to colonial times was. Better guns, but guns are less common, and carriages, trains and boats should all have an interesting effect on gameplay. Can't wait to rob a moving train or escape via grappling hook if I'm losing a fight on top of a speeding carriage. Just the fact that there are actually roads now (with pedestrians walking along the pavement rather than filling the entire streets) should give it a really different aesthetic to previous games.

I was very disappointed in Unity (not because of glitches, surpisingly I didn't really have any, I just thought that the story was a pile of crap that pandered to the masses, rehashed earlier better games and didn't take any time to develop a single character, and without a great story like the other games had, the gameplay means nothing; the only positive of Unity's story was the almost complete lack of modern day sections imo, really wish they'd ditch that stuff for good and just make period pieces), but so far I think Syndicate looks promising, and as it's been made by a different team I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt.
    @thelivingroyale, I am looking forward to exploring London, that's for sure. It's been my dream location for an AC game, and my inner Holmesian is booming at the beauty of the Victorian London they've created. I heard rumblings that in the murder mystery sections of the game Conan Doyle will even appear, but with the game being set in 1868, he'd only be nine years old, so it's not adding up just yet. However, all AC games unfold over time, so maybe Doyle will appear in his twenties later in the game if it carries into or beyond the 1880s. Who knows.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 12,837
    @thelivingroyale, I am looking forward to exploring London, that's for sure. It's been my dream location for an AC game, and my inner Holmesian is booming at the beauty of the Victorian London they've created. I heard rumblings that in the murder mystery sections of the game Conan Doyle will even appear, but with the game being set in 1868, he'd only be nine years old, so it's not adding up just yet. However, all AC games unfold over time, so maybe Doyle will appear in his twenties later in the game if it carries into or beyond the 1880s. Who knows.

This one is like the first game and Revelations in that it only takes place over one year, in 1868 iirc, so no time skips. Maybe they did this to make it easier if they wanted to do a sequel (although I doubt a sequel would use the same city, maybe they could set it in India or somewhere?), but I think it's a shame because I think one of the reasons AC 2 and AC 3 were so good was that the stories spanned decades, so it really felt like an epic journey. The other games don't really have this feeling (Unity took place over three or four years iirc, Black Flag and Brotherhood took place over five or six) I think we might at least see a dlc set in the 1880s and 90s, since there's some interesting stuff from the time period they could use that won't feature in Syndicate (Jack The Ripper for one).
    AC2 annoyed me with the time skips, because nothing seemed to progress between times. It was like Ezio did something, went to sleep for two years, then heard about a boat coming in from Cyprus, then did something else, then went to sleep for another year, then went to fight the Pope.
    AC2 annoyed me with the time skips, because nothing seemed to progress between times. It was like Ezio did something, went to sleep for two years, then heard about a boat coming in from Cyprus, then did something else, then went to sleep for another year, then went to fight the Pope.

Yeah my first time playing AC2, I was so confused. The time jumps are crazy and Ezio never changes in his physique over the years to let you know major time has passed, save for near the end where he-gasp!-grows facial hair.
    Time skips should at least imply something happened, but AC2 didn't.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS3)

After what felt like the slowest introductory level, we're finally out into the world, and it is superb. While far from a religious follower of the MGS games (when it comes to espionage games, I always preferred Splinter Cell), this game is so fun.

I circled a compound, making sure to tag all the goons on patrol. I found an entry point, that lay next to a watchtower. As I sat contemplating my next move, a sandstorm blew in, so I took the opportunity to rush the watchtower and take out the guard on top. As I helped that guard to overcome his insomnia, two more walked passed the tower, oblivious to their unconscious co-worker nearby.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 4,813
    Still playing Phantom Pain like a man obsessed.

Although I wanted to give a quick warning, so hopefully nobody messes up like I did. You see (aside from the one mega super spoiler) I've made a point to avoid ruining surprises in this game. I even avoided walkthroughs to instead figure missions out on my own.

I recently did the unthinkable and started a whole new game because of this!!! IF ONLY I KNEW AHEAD OF TIME. Here's what I mean:

I went past Mission 45 and permanently lost Quiet. I now know there are loopholes to keep her but I learned too late.
    Another issue related to this: I just unlocked the 'leather jacket' and attempted the Side Op #150 (Secure Quiet) with hardly any firepower. It's a cool costume because it basically makes you look like 1984's Terminator

maxresdefault.jpg

However, beating this side op immediately takes you to Mission 45 and there is no way to go back to Mother Base or the helicopter. Even if you go to the game menu!! You literally are stuck there until you beat the level.
    And with my damned leather jacket and minimal weapons, the level was basically unbeatable.

Only by calling in sandstorms and bombardments did I finally beat it. But by doing so, I lost Quiet.

I also missed out on the 'custom guns' option. Apparently somewhere down the road, I must have killed the guy I was meant to Fulton to unlock.

So with a heavy heart, I restarted the god damn game

....it's still awesome though \m/