"Can you play any other tune?": Who should perform the next Bond theme...?

Comments

If this is true, best news I've heard for a Bond film in years.......Paul McCartney LALD Mk2 here we come!!

Noel Gallagher could write and perform the theme tune for the next James Bond film, according to reports.

The Sun claims that the former Oasis chief will hold talks with bosses of the 007 franchise in the next few days, to discuss the possibility of him penning the song for the new Bond instalment Skyfall.

A source, who said that Gallagher would meet film producer Michael G. Wilson in LA for the talks, revealed:

"They’re going to talk about potentially writing and performing the song for next year’s new Bond film. Nothing is signed or official, it’s just being discussed at the moment."

Previously, Noel Gallagher claimed that an unreleased song he’d written called 'Freaky Teeth’ would be perfect for the film series. In 2008, he said of the track: "I listened back to it thinking, 'That’d make a fucking great Bond theme. It’s a bit of a piss-take that the greatest British agent of all time has to be soundtracked by a bunch of Americans."

The last Bond theme – for the 2008 film Quantum Of Solace - was a duet recorded by singer Alicia Keys and The White Stripes' Jack White.

Earlier this month, the producers of Skyfall denied that Adele had been confirmed to sing the theme tune for the film. It was also claimed that Michael Buble was in the running to perform the song.

Skyfall, Bond's 23rd outing, is due to hit cinema screens on October 26, 2012. Scroll down and click below to watch this month’s press conference which saw lead actor Daniel Craig speak about the film and producers finally confirm the official title as Skyfall.

http://www.nme.com/news/noel-gallagher/60488
  • I fear this may be just romour, however Noel would make an excellent choice to right a Bond theme. I doubt 'Freaky teeth' would be used however as he is currently playing it on his current tour. This would lessen the impact of the reveal of a new bond tune.

Maybe written by Noel and sung by Adele?

Hear the potential new Bond theme here :
    I've had enough of 'rock meets James Bond'. Time for more soul, more melody and less ear-destroying guitar riffs. So Adèle, please do the Bond theme. Noel? You're fired.
  • Quote from Noel..."I thought to myself, that would make a great Bond theme, that...."

Classic. That`s because some part of your song, actually is THE Bond theme.
    Noel, have a freakin word with yourself. You have made a carreer stealing songs of others, now is not the time to delude your sorry self.

Please go away, and never come near Bond.
    Quote from Noel..."I thought to myself, that would make a great Bond theme, that...."

Classic. That`s because some part of your song, actually is THE Bond theme.
    Noel, have a freakin word with yourself. You have made a carreer stealing songs of others, now is not the time to delude your sorry self.

Please go away, and never come near Bond.

He's actually admitted borrowing from other artists but the Beatles, Stones aren't bad role models! But he writes great lyrics. He would make an awesome combo with David Arnold (cant believe there's so much hate for DA on here!)

• edited November 2011 Posts: 25
    Gallagher's music is a little ham-fisted. I've always thought this little-known Radiohead track would make a perfect tune for an artier Bond flick (especially from the key change at 1:06...and the Bond-like guitar riff at 1:19...and the orchestra kicks in at 3:00...perfect!)

• edited November 2011 Posts: 3
    ok shadowonthesun, no need to get overly excited. In my opinion its a potential Bond theme. As for Noel having to big an ego to write for someone else, I don't think that is the case. He has gone on record recently as saying he would like to write for others. His latest single " what a life" was originally written with Madonna in mind.
    Besides if Bono can let his ego write for someone else, anything is possible....
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 886
    Freaky Teeth?
    Well if Jaws was making a comeback in Skyfall it would be perfect.

It definitely has a Bond aura about it. Trying too hard maybe.
    Also the 'dancing into fire' thing was done rather better by Duran Duran.
  • I think as stated, this is merely a rumor above anything else, In their early days Oasis came out as big admirers of The Beatles, and since Sir McCartney has had a shot at it, and did very well years back, Noel maybe feels the time is right to emulate him or throw his hat in the ring or get involved

The man is a well recognized and accomplished songwriter so there may just be some substance in this

Dame Shirley Bassey and Adele together. In one form or fashion.
    Tribute to the past and the present.
    Knockout.
  • I think I would lose the will to live if they ever went ahead with that :-S

with which Noel Gallagher or Shirley Bassey (for the 4th time) and Adele..
    Lyrics for Freaky Teeth - bit predictable to be honest, soul selling, devil, usual "man in torment" claptrap. Time for a change.
    Although if Bond gets married in this one and she betrays him, could be good. ;-)

The angels are coming down
    On the darkness on the edge of town
    They came to steal the lightning from the sky
    Well the vision of the show
    But your love might not be enough
    To free you from the fears that paralyse

Heaven's gonna help you through the waves
    Save your soul
    Now they're gonna help you through the night
    You go to go to steal whatever you like

It's your horror
    And your wife
    It's your horror
    All over the night
    And they left you for the dogs
    To lick your bones

They parade you feel the rain
    But they love you just the same
    Before your God
    And the Devil
    Took your soul

Walk into the breeze
    To the girl with freaky teeth
    She shows you sticks she stolen from the queen

And she knows your heart's desire
    And she danced right into the fire
    The Holy Mary stole your tambourine

Heaven's gonna help you through the waves
    Save your soul
    Now they're gonna help you through the night
    You go to go to steal whatever you like

It's your horror
    And your wife
    It's your horror
    All over the night
    To lick your bones

They parade you through the rain
    Before your God
    And the Devil
    Took your soul

It's your horror
    And your wife
    It's your horror
    All over the night
    To lick your bones

They parade you through the rain
    Before your God
    And the Devil
    Took your soul

Before your God
    And the Devil
    Took your soul
    I think I would lose the will to live if they ever went ahead with that :-S

Felt like that after QoS but I soon came around. Takes time.

• It's a comfort to know that there are others out there who had a hard time of it last time around. Why not ask Lulu to have a go again, if Bassey can have three attempts at it then why not bring someone else back from years past, I'd even settle for Tina Turner again oddly enough. Maybe an instrumental once more could work again but I don't think they'd take that route for the 50th anniversary. Barrys score in 1969 was a great piece but apart from Cornell and Crow in recent years there hasn't been much to get the pulse racing in terms of artist efforts
    Gallagher is not my first choice or even the thousandt, his music has never failed to impress me.
  • Just on the Noel Gallagher issue, and Oasis were good when they first came on to the scene in 1994 and I even had their first CD release, Definitely Maybe. I could listen to tracks like Live Forever and Supersonic all day, but somehow they never quite duplicated for me the sounds they first arrived with, although they went on to greater success and were probably at their pinnacle around the late 1990s

They are arguably one of the most recognized British bands of recent years, I think they tried at times to be the new Beatles but were never going to come anywhere near it

Never liked Gallagher's brother in the Band, a bit too belligerent and loud mouthed, the sort of chap who could start an argument in an empty room :L
    Knockout.
    I'm sorry, but ... ugh. The whole thing would feel like a very tacky shameless stunt.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Knockout.
    I'm sorry, but ... ugh. The whole thing would feel like a very tacky shameless stunt.

Do you ever agree with anything?! Seriously.
    I mean they did just do a duet.

And they're both perfect separately. I think its time for Bassey to hand it over to Adele.

I'd like to see Adele do quite a few themes, actually.
    Do you ever agree with anything?! Seriously.
    I'll agree if I think it's a good idea.
  • Wouldn't it be kinda cool for the 50th to have a duet between Shirley Bassey and Paul McCartney or Bassey singing with McCartney and Wings as the band or something along those lines?

Or... how about just a loud, in your face version of the James Bond Theme?

Other than that, I'll have to vote for Muse or Adele.

I don't know why people seem to think getting Bassey in for the 50th anniversary is the perfect idea. Bassey should perform the theme because she is the right person for the job - not simply for the sake of it. Or has everyone forgotten DIE ANOTHER DAY and the way the film contained references to the past for the sake of it?
  • I don't know why people seem to think getting Bassey in for the 50th anniversary is the perfect idea. Bassey should perform the theme because she is the right person for the job - not simply for the sake of it. Or has everyone forgotten DIE ANOTHER DAY and the way the film contained references to the past for the sake of it?

It's interesting. I know Bond fans "hated" the ham-fisted references of DAD, but on some level I feel like everyone still wants them for SF. Fandom is a confusing state of being.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i for one don't want all the references... they can save us from that again... because then what, every 3 - 4 films is going to be an homage fest?... no, sorry..

But I would like to see Bassey do one last theme.... she still has a powerful voice - and could still do a legit theme, just listen to "The Living Tree" and "No Good About Goodbye"... if they don't ask her - oh well... it would just be a nice gesture for the 50th anniversary i believe.
    Some of the references in DIE ANOTHER DAY weren't that bad - like when Bond slips through the patient's room in Cuba and helps himself to some grapes. Others were heinous; most notably the jetpack. I actually liked the scene with Q, mostly because it felt like a valut for the unused equipment. It was nice to see the mini-jet hanging there, and Bond playing around with the poison-knife shoe (because he's always entertaining himself with Q's gadgets instead of listening).
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    the whole film itself was a giant reference and homage to previous Bond films - thats what i found annoying... there was almost nothing original in the entire film
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 1,894
    Pierce Brosnan should sing it!

Although he does sound like he's recently suffered a head injury. Maybe a mild stroke.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Gotta say Katherine Jenkins would definitely deliver the goods but for a main title theme? I'm not so sure. Would love to hear her have a bash though.

I could see her providing a love theme or end title...btw, she is indeed beautiful and definitely fits the Bond Girl mould very easily. :-)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROthBWNwgiGUIrHAFc04AT7Xx0lileKv3azwN9vkmFvTDqJESv5w
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 300
    Katie Melua would be an excellent choice IMO. She's intelligent, classy, and has one beautiful voice. Michael Buble is still amongst the top contenders on my list though.
  • Look like Noel has shot this one down.

Quote from his official blog entry

"Now, I don't know whether you've seen a story that's doing the rounds about me being offered the job of penning the tune for the new James Bond film? Apparently I'm being courted by "007 bosses"!!!!! A meeting will be "taking place in the next few days"!!!! With some guy called "Michael G. Wilson" (whoever he is)!!! A "source" says, "nothing has been signed or made official"!!!! Of course it fuckin' hasn't!!!!!! Who IS this fuckin' "source"? Has he been on the "sauce"? Bizarre indeed."
  • Are you going to tell him or should I >:P
This discussion has been closed.