Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    If this is true it's a very savvy move, recalls 2 other big names in the music world writing the theme tune for another artist, Bono & The Edge for Tina Turner.

Sam Smith was never going to be able to write anything that would suit Spectre so getting 2 of the most highly regarded rock artists on the planet to do it like they did back in 1995 is the right move.

Greenwood certainly has the chops with his score work for PTA and despite what some members think here Radiohead are very much a viable act and will prove that once again when they drop album no.9. Radiohead have been seen as an act that would be ideal for Bond many times like U2, we had to settle for them just being the writers and it seems RH will be the same.

That being said I'll believe it when it's announced, I believe the Sam Smith and possibly the EG bit but the Thom & Jonny being the authors I'll wait for the announcement although it makes perfect sense and if that is the case I'm now intrigued to hear what arrives tomorrow despite not liking either artist one bit.

Always thought the Lady Gaga thing like myself with RH was wishful thinking but if true Pistols was good to stick to his guns because he was kinda right.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    My good people, don't you realise that this twitter of Smith & Goulding doing a duet written by Radiohead WAS A BIG JOKE TO MAKE FUN OF THE RUMOUR MILL?
    I'm not saying you are wrong, but what makes you so sure it was a joke?

Because it would not make any sense.

Sam Smith writes his own songs. He is a typical singer/songwriter.
    Why on earth should he sing a song that he has not written himself.

Furthermore Smith, Ellie AND Radiohead?? Are you kidding me?
    An obvious joke. The only thing that was missing in that twitter was that Adele is singing the backing vocals.
  • antovolk wrote: »

He revealed that one will be revealed on Monday. It could be Bond or it could be Strictly. The likelihood is that it is Strictly, as the show begins airing next month and the new set of contestants have yet to be revealed. We know from the process with SF that the song was withheld till the last possible moment despite being recorded well in advance. I'd expect Spectre's song to follow that pattern and be unveiled very late in the day.

And like I said, Cornell was revealed end of July for CR even though YKMN wasn't released until the week before the film opened.

Given Mendes saying in that BBC interview before the trailer that it won't be long until we find out who is doing it, and other factors (Hunger Games also announcing their end credits track artist this week - Bond isn't the only film this year with a big-artist title track deal), I'd say that's what's revealed Monday. Besides, Strictly cast can be announced later that week haha

I think that the Strictly casting was just a little wink to the Bond fans, I think the title artist will be announced then. I think they will do both quite frankly.

And just b
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    My good people, don't you realise that this twitter of Smith & Goulding doing a duet written by Radiohead WAS A BIG JOKE TO MAKE FUN OF THE RUMOUR MILL?

An obvious joke. The only thing that was missing in that twitter was that Adele is singing the backing vocals.

Maybe he likes a song that was written by someone else. Surely, where he is in his career, he should be able to sing someone else's music if he chooses to.

Maybe he likes a song that was written by someone else. Surely, where he is in his career, he should be able to sing someone else's music if he chooses to.

True, if it is a cover version or a standard. But a Bond song and then he hasn't written it himself? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want that.
  • Oh for goodness sake. It's obviously a joke.

Do you not recall Goldeneye, to me it makes perfect sense, Smith might be able to pen some slushy ballad but a Bond theme???
    So if it's just smith I am back down to disappointed and vaguely uninterested
  • I think this is a bit more....correct no?

Composers and producers of the "SPECTRE" theme song are Jonny Greenwood & Thom Yorke, who both are members of the British progressive rock/electro band 'Radiohead'.

Lately Jonny Greenwood is also well-known in Hollywood as movie score composer. He wrote the music for many movies from Paul-Thomas Anderson, including:
    --> "There Will Be Blood" (BAFTA nomination, Grammy nomination, 1 Critics Choice Award win)
    --> "The Master"
    --> "Inherent Vice"
    And the Lynne Ramsay directed drama/thriller:
    --> "We Need To Talk About Kevin"

The same goes for Thom Yorke, who wrote the music for the following films:
    --> "The Prestige" (directed by Christopher Nolan)
    --> "The Twilight Saga: New Moon"

Both Thom Yorke & Jonny Greenwood have been working together with James Bond film composer Thomas Newman on "SPECTRE". So expect some recurring themes and melodies from the theme song into the movie score. Jonny Greenwood's work on his movies have an eerie, almost scary sound, in which he replaces agressive guitar riffs by big orchestrated string sections.

Ellie Goulding & Sam Smith are the performers of the song. They don't need much explanation. Due to the absence of new work from Adele, both Ellie and Sam are considered to be the hottest and commercially most succesful singers in the UK.

The song they will sing for "SPECTRE" will be the 2nd duet in the Bond-franchise....after Jack White's and Alicia Keys' badly received "Another Way To Die" ("Quantum Of Solace").

Tomorrow at 5:00 PM GMT time the song will be released on radio and mp3 across the globe, no???
    Shardlake wrote: »

Do you not recall Goldeneye, to me it makes perfect sense, Smith might be able to pen some slushy ballad but a Bond theme???

Tina Turner is not a songwriter. She always had famous people writing the song for her.
    But I see your point, I'm not saying it's impossible but highly improbable.
    I think this is a bit more....correct no?

Composers and producers of the "SPECTRE" theme song are Jonny Greenwood & Thom Yorke, who both are members of the British progressive rock/electro band 'Radiohead'.

Lately Jonny Greenwood is also well-known in Hollywood as movie score composer. He wrote the music for many movies from Paul-Thomas Anderson, including:
    --> "There Will Be Blood" (BAFTA nomination, Grammy nomination, 1 Critics Choice Award win)
    --> "The Master"
    --> "Inherent Vice"

Both Thom Yorke & Jonny Greenwood have been working together with James Bond film composer Thomas Newman on "SPECTRE". So expect some recurring themes and melodies from the theme song into the movie score. Jonny Greenwood's work on his movies have an eerie, almost scary sound, in which he replaces agressive guitar riffs by big orchestrated string sections.

Ellie Goulding & Sam Smith are the performers of the song. They don't need much explanation. Due to the absence of new work from Adele, both Ellie and Sam are considered to be the hottest and commercially most succesful singers in the UK.

The song they will sing for "SPECTRE" will be the 2nd duet in the Bond-franchise....after Jack White's and Alicia Keys' badly received "Another Way To Die" ("Quantum Of Solace").

Tomorrow at 5:00 PM GMT time the song will be released on radio and mp3 across the globe, no???

Where did this come from or is this your speculation GG?

If it's true then fantastic but if you've just made it up shame on you ! (only kidding)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This seems like a big wind-up to me. Good marketing though.

Let's see what tomorrow brings....
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    edited September 2015 Posts: 108
    Shardlake wrote: »

But be aware that TT had never written any song at all ever? She's only a singer and therefore depended on material others write for her.

Regarding Smith I can't hide my immense disappointment. I had high hopes for the song and at least believed that DC - especially now that his behind-the-scenes influence has even been publicly acknowledged - would never approve of this whiny flavour-of-the-month. Smith is only able of exactly one kind of singing that sounds like he's about to melt into tears; a kind of impotent desperation that is about the diametrical opposite of what JB is about. Having a "big" voice and being a good singer are two completely independent things comparable to good looks and good acting. Furthermore his merits as a songwriter are highly debatable since he blatantely stole the melody of Stay with Me from Tom Petty and his other songs also sound highly derivative of all the other coffee shop wannabe-Whitney-Houstons.

The participation of Goulding or the Radioheaders is that obvious a joke so there can't really be any discussion about credibility, can it?

I'm only clinging to the hope that there may be a second new song in the movie that could ease the pain Smith's voice will bring to our ears in SPECTRE.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Maybe the picture is a distraction? Whose to say it means Sam Smith is the singer? Maybe he wants to draw attention to himself so when the artist is officially revealed, we won't be expecting it.
  • Shardlake wrote: »
    I think this is a bit more....correct no?

--> "The Master"
    --> "Inherent Vice"

Where did this come from or is this your speculation GG?

If it's true then fantastic but if you've just made it up shame on you ! (only kidding)

I just did a quick research on all four artists that are involved in the "SPECTRE" theme song.... That's all...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Tomorrow can't get here soon enough!

Need official confirmation.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 267
    Cannot wait to hear it. I actually made this ages ago when he was rumoured. SO NOBODY GETS CONFUSED THIS ISN'T A REAL PICTURE.

latest?cb=20141224232958
  • Not a fan of any of these artists or their voices. Oh well. Hopefully it will not be a boring song. If it'll be as Bondian and fresh as the GoldenEye collaboration, I'll be happy.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    AdaShelby wrote: »
    Cannot wait to hear it. I actually made this ages ago when he was rumoured. SO NOBODY GETS CONFUSED THIS ISN'T A REAL PICTURE.

latest?cb=20141224232958

Is that a real picture?
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    No way EON announce a song by the artist posting a pic on twitter and no way Sam Smith dumb enough to do it without consent. He is waiting for the announcement as a fan like the rest of us and to see who got the job over him. Sure he's on the wynd just like when he said it was Goulding. I will wait see what happens because from someone who works in music with publishers I was told catogorically it was a British band and another who said she processed the paperwork for Artic Monkeys.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Youuuuu SAYYYYYYYYYYY Amm from Spectre. But you don't think I know what you've done. But wheeeeeen you call me blofeld, I know I'm not the only one (wut)
    What annoys me most is that EON releases this news on the day of the TRIGGER MORTIS novel, I find that a bad decision by EON, instead of keeping 007 in the news we get everything at the same time. I only hope that SPECTRE is not as poor as the decision making by EON so far.
  • So it/s not a duet of Sam Smith with Ellie Goulding?
  • jake24 wrote: »

latest?cb=20141224232958

Is that a real picture?

No it's not, I made it. I stated so above the picture.
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    No way EON announce a song by the artist posting a pic on twitter and no way Sam Smith dumb enough to do it without consent. He is waiting for the announcement as a fan like the rest of us and to see who got the job over him. Sure he's on the wynd just like when he said it was Goulding. I will wait see what happens because from someone who works in music with publishers I was told catogorically it was a British band and another who said she processed the paperwork for Artic Monkeys.

Of course Smith is professional enough to only go into the open when EON approves. But I want you to remember that SkyFall was revealed exactly the same way: Before the concrete press release Adele's official Twitter published a revealing picture without further comment.

That's somewhat misleading. He didn't write the score for The Prestige, David Julyan did. Yorke's Analyse is featured during the closing credits, but I don't think it was even written for the movie, specifically. His album that the song is on was released months before the movie was.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »

latest?cb=20141224232958

Is that a real picture?

No it's not, I made it. I stated so above the picture.

I know, I was kidding. ;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Since I feel that YKMN is by far the best song of the Craig era, I am glad to see another male singer chosen.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    To my ears Sam sounds a lot like Matt Munro. :D