BONDing Over the Holidays. How Do YOU Spend Your Holiday Season? How Does Bond Spend His?

edited November 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 5,745
Simple.
How do you spend your holidays? and
How do you think Bond spends his holidays?

A lonesome turkey all for himself? A clay-more by the chimney?
Even if hes working, how do you see Bond spending the holidays?
Lets have fun with this.

Moved to General Discussion
@DiscoVolante

Comments

A bottle of whiskey, a good book, and May trying to avoid him as much as possible.
  • The holidays probably remind him of Tracy, so I would think they'd depress him. He'd probably spend it by himself drinking...
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 5,745
    What part of "lets have fun with this" was mis-communicated?
    As far as I know, depressed drinking and reading isn't too fun.
    Fine, what about if hes on the job.

You don't think he'd at least go out to a fancy bar for some drinks? See a film? Perhaps have a laugh by sending his target a secret santa? haha
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    it's interesting that very few people imagine Bond having a happy Christmas

I'm sure Connery-Lazenby-Moore-Brosnanbonds would all shack up with some babe and spend the week with her inevitably wealthy family

Dalton and Craigbond would probably be miserable, like Book Bond, who would probably go out and buy himself an expensive prossie to distract himself

personally I like to imagine him finally hooking up with Moneypenny, after the Christmas party

personally I like to imagine him finally hooking up with Moneypenny, after the Christmas party

Our thoughts align. I've always felt like him and Moneypenny had something to look forward to at the Christmas parties ;)
    I agree. Drinking and smoking heavily, and thinking about Tracy or Vesper, depending on the timeline.
  • He'd go to the MI6 Christmas Party and mingle with the likes of M, Moneypenny, Q and Tanner. They'd have a great time. There'd be egg nog and cookies and a Secret Santa.

Bond- "Who is this from? *Shakes box and a bullet flies out* A new Walther? You shouldn't have, Q! C'mere and give your favorite agent a big ol' hug you big lug."
    I think he'd also donate alot towards orphan charities, considering. I think he'd probably do all he could to work through the holidays though. Try and stray his mind.

But again, lets have fun.

Bond- "Who is this from? *Shakes box and a bullet flies out* A new Walther? You shouldn't have, Q! C'mere and give your favorite agent a big ol' hug you big lug."
    Thats the spirit.
  • I'm organizing a soup kitchen in the center of my city to feed some people less fortunate than me. A little bit of the Christmas and holiday spirit will go a long way. The local council turned us down last year but this year I'm going to turn up in a large van with loads of mates and dole out the roast chicken, rice and a cup of sparkling rose water.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'm organizing a soup kitchen in the center of my city to feed some people less fortunate than me. A little bit of the Christmas and holiday spirit will go a long way. The local council turned us down last year but this year I'm going to turn up in a large van with loads of mates and dole out the roast chicken, rice and a cup of sparkling rose water.
    If I could come I'd give you a hand, my dear forgotmyusername ! :)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    According to FRWL, Bond and M once visited Tokyo and had some 'fun' there. I presume this was during the holidays, or maybe just in between missions.
  • I'm organizing a soup kitchen in the center of my city to feed some people less fortunate than me. A little bit of the Christmas and holiday spirit will go a long way. The local council turned us down last year but this year I'm going to turn up in a large van with loads of mates and dole out the roast chicken, rice and a cup of sparkling rose water.
    If I could come I'd give you a hand, my dear forgotmyusername ! :)
    Cheers dude - but we might be carted off by the rozzers. I'll upload some Xmas shots on twitter.

Our thoughts align. I've always felt like him and Moneypenny had something to look forward to at the Christmas parties ;)

James Bond in – The Morning After
    Bond – Good morning Penny (throws hat onto hat rack)
    Moneypenny – Oh good morning James, I haven’t seen you since the night of the Christmas party
    Bond – Ah hem, no
    Moneypenny – You left awfully suddenly, 3 am in the morning wasn’t it?
    Bond – Erm, yes, I suddenly remembered an important mission I hadn’t quite finished
    Moneypenny – It’s been weeks and you’ve never called me once
    Bond – Well, you know how it is with secret missions...
    Moneypenny – Funny, I don’t see anything on the official secret missions list?
    Bond – Hmmm? Oh well, must dash, better not keep M waiting...
    Moneypenny – Actually he’s not back from his meeting with the PM yet
    Bond – Oh... well perhaps I’ll just wait in his office then?
    Moneypenny – You know that’s against regulations, he’d have your guts for garters, and mine
    Bond – Hmmmm...
    Moneypenny - Mmmmm...
    Bond – (looks out the window and starts whistling “Born Free”)
    Moneypenny – (under her breath) B*stard!
    Ha ha! Awesome. I'd like to see a fan vid of this!
  • According to FRWL, Bond and M once visited Tokyo and had some 'fun' there. I presume this was during the holidays, or maybe just in between missions.
    Actually this is incorrect as we've agreed already that Bond was never in Japan or anywhere near it before You Only Live Twice, so if he and M were present four years previous that's either a neat trick or something doesn't quite add up

A little premature for any Holidays talk by the way

As each Bond is different and we've had six variations it's impossible to suggest what 007 would actually get up to, and I'm thinking strictly in terms of individual actors and wha they brought to the screen rather than the actual Fleming creation as a wholesome

edited November 2011 Posts: 357
    According to FRWL, Bond and M once visited Tokyo and had some 'fun' there. I presume this was during the holidays, or maybe just in between missions.
    Actually this is incorrect as we've agreed already that Bond was never in Japan or anywhere near it before You Only Live Twice, so if he and M were present four years previous that's either a neat trick or something doesn't quite add up

I vaguely recall that one of Bonds kills to make "00" involved a Japanese cypher clerk, but I can't remember where it happened...?

Maybe Bond can take full advantage of the holidays by traveling somewhere exotic and shagging heaps of women. You know, do something different.
    ...we've agreed already that Bond was never in Japan or anywhere near it before You Only Live Twice, so if he and M were present four years previous that's either a neat trick or something doesn't quite add up

A little premature for any Holidays talk by the way

As each Bond is different and we've had six variations it's impossible to suggest what 007 would actually get up to, and I'm thinking strictly in terms of individual actors and wha they brought to the screen rather than the actual Fleming creation as a wholesome

First. Why does YOLT rule out Bonds possibility of visiting Japan before hand. The films aren't really in any set order, and even if they are he could be misleading/phibbing.

And Thanksgiving is nearly a week away. Prime time for Holidays.

And I intended the character Bond when creating this thread. If you need to, you could pick an actor's Bond, but really it shouldn't matter.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Holidays spent by each Bond:

Connery: Bond will be smuggling up with a beautiful lady in the Alps/or any setting with the backdrop of snow.

Lazenby: Sad about Tracy, maybe sitting in a chair by a warm fire.

Moore: At an MI6 Christmas party enjoying the company of colleagues and cracking some jokes about mistletoes.

Dalton: Most likely moping around or in a quiet place free of any other human beings.

Brosnan: Enjoying himself, also probably at an MI6 Christmas party joking with Moneypenny and Q.

Craig: Thinking about Vesper and what Quantum is up to, maybe drinking and forgetting or walking the snowy streets.
    @JWESTBROOK In FRWL, Bond mentions being in Tokyo with M, but in YOLT, Bond tells Henderson that he's never been to Japan (unless he lied, though he's got no reason to). However, events in YOLT seem to come after events in FRWL because Bond doesn't know of Blofeld in FRWL. Yes, there's some poor continuity in the Bond universe.
  • I go "home" for Christmas. This year I'll be there two weeks hanging out with my mom, brothers and sister. Instead of the traditional Christmas dinner, this year I'm making Christmas Eve brunch for my family.

Bond is invited to M's (Judi Dench) apartment for her annual Christmas party which consists of soft Christmas jazz music playing in the background, an array of festive foods and a full bar. You can guess what beeline Bond makes. Yes, straight to the bar because he knows that once M gets a bit tipsy, the karaoke will begin and he'd rather not be sober when asked to sing Good King Wencelas.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 12,837
    Im flying out to australia soon with my girlfriend to visit an old friend from the army, then its back to the UK in time for christmas eve, then we're driving down to her parents house with my brother and her sister, my old foster parents will meet us there and we're all gonna spend christmas there.

As for bond, connery/moore/brosnan probably spent christmas in bed with some random girl, dalton would probably be on his own, lasenby would be remembering tracy and craig would spend it getting drunk on his own. Actually, bond would probably be working over xmas
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 12,837
    Seve wrote:
    <blockquote rel="Baltimore_007"><blockquote rel="QBranch">According to FRWL, Bond and M once visited Tokyo and had some 'fun' there. I presume this was during the holidays, or maybe just in between missions.</blockquote>

</blockquote>

I vaguely recall that one of Bonds kills to make "00" involved a Japanese cypher clerk, but I can't remember where it happened...?

@seve i dont think it was japan. I think that was new york or somewhere.
    <blockquote rel="QBranch">According to FRWL, Bond and M once visited Tokyo and had some 'fun' there. I presume this was during the holidays, or maybe just in between missions.</blockquote>

actually it's not incorrect, I just watched FRWL again last week and Bond does say that he and M had some fun in Tokyo

so movie Bond has been to Japan before YOLT
    book Bond may not have been

edited November 2011 Posts: 357
    anyway back on topic, here's something I saved from the old site
    from a thread started by a fine fellow called Calbrit

<u>Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas Mr Bond</u>

<b>From Santa With Love or Rhinestones Are For Re-gifting or Snowraker (Scenes from a James Bond Christmas)</b>

Q – “Open my one next 007”
    Bond – “Alright” (shake, rattle, scratch, scratch, pick, rip, rustle, rustle, rip)
    Bill Tanner – “Not bad 007, but 009 managed to open his in 11.3 seconds”
    Bond – “Mrs Q does a mean job with the wrapping”
    Q – “She’s been working on developing a new super strong cello-tape for months”
    Bond – “What is it Q?”
    Q - “It’s called a snow globe 007”
    Bond – “How does it work?”
    Q – “Well, first you turn it upside down like that, and let all the white flakes settle to the bottom, and then you quickly invert it, so that it’s right side up again, and you get a sort of snow flurry effect, do you see”
    Bond – “Ingenious!”
    Q – “Basic Newtonian physics 007, the transparent sphere is made of glass enclosing a miniaturised scene of some sort, together with water, which serves as the medium through which the "snow" falls. To activate the snow the globe can be physically shaken to churn up the white particles.”
    Bond – “And there’s a hidden transmitter in the base?”
    Q – “No”
    Bond – “An explosive device then?”
    Q – “No, no, 007, nothing like that, it is Christmas after all”
    Bond – “Then what’s it for?”
    Q – “For? For! It’s not for anything 007, it’s just looks pretty”
    Bond – (hefting it in his hand) “Well, it’s quite solid, I suppose one might use it in a cosh”
    Q – “Really 007! You know sometimes I despair over you”
  • I don't think Bond would be hung up with Christmas festivities. He'd take himself away to the Bahamas for relaxation,women and Texas Hold Em. He'd leave xmas cards for M,Q, & MP. lol.
    <b>Goldtinsle or Thunderbauble or Yule Only Carve Slice or Give & Get Pie (more Scenes from a James Bond Christmas)</b>

Of course it had been very tempting to accept Ernst Stavro Blofeld’s invitation to spend Christmas with him and the gorgeous girls of Piz Gloria... but the Flemings were Bond’s oldest and dearest friends so he couldn’t let them down. In fact Ian Fleming had become like a second father to him after his parents were killed in a climbing accident when Bond was still a boy.

As always, the roast Turkey, brined not basted, had been prepared to perfection by Mrs Fleming, along with an exceptional stuffing, made to a recipe Bond had given her, from mushrooms, celery, carrots, onion, one large clove garlic, fresh sage leaves, a bay leaf or two, marjoram, thyme, a bit of rosemary, black pepper, chicken bouillon cubes, butter and oil, and some of the broth from simmering the giblets and neck of the turkey on the stove for a couple of hours. But of course the real secret was in the bread, cubed not crumbled, a combination of three types, a Brown Wheat, a White Sourdough and a Rosemary Olive Oil Round!

Bond, full up to the eyeballs, was about to sink into an arm chair by the fire with his brandy and doze off, when the Fleming’s neighbours kid, Eric Goldfinger, squirted him in the neck with his Baretta water pistol, from behind the curtain, for the umpteenth time.

Rueing the day that he had ever decided to give him such a present, Bond imagined taking the spotty little tic for a ride in the Aston Martin. All he would have to do is point to the ejector seat button, utter the magic words “don’t touch that” and let nature take its course...
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 297
    Bond's:
    Bottle of Jack Daniels on Christmas Eve, catering by Pied á Terre; nothing fancy, a choice of a few simple dishes going with the bourbon. Afterwards Bond sits in the dark flat at the window, sharpening his shoe dagger and aiming with his gun at people for practice till he passes out. Repeat routine until either Boxing Day or the red secure line at his flat rings to announce an assignment in the Swiss Alps, usually the only assignments Bond takes in the holiday season.

EDIT: Bond considers this to be a HAPPY Christmas.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 357
    <b>Dr Noel or The Mince Pie Who Loved Me or On St Nick’s Secret Service</b>

It was dark and still in the living room, when all of a sudden there was a faint scuffling sound and a pair of black boots landed with a puff of charcoal dust in the fireplace
    The fat man with the white beard and the red suit dusted himself off as he stepped from the hearth and took in his surroundings. His well-practised eye missed nothing. He glanced at the Christmas tree with indifference and let out a resigned sigh, then his gaze fell on the glass of milk and the plate of mince pies on the table and his eyes lit up. He rushed over and began greedily shovelling them into his gaping maw. He paused for a moment and reached for the milk, but just as he was about to raise the glass to his lips he let out a choking gasp, staggered and fell back onto the floor with a thump. After a moment another familiar figure emerged from the shadows behind the drapes...

...It was dark and still on the rooftop, when once again there was a faint scuffling sound. Then a red hat emerged from the chimney and beneath it a familiar head covered with woolly white hair. As he continued to squirm up out of the hole, another familiar figure wearing a white tuxedo pulled himself up over the eves and moved silently over the tiles with a catlike grace.
    “Not so fast fat boy” said Bond poking the bearded one between the shoulder blades with his Barretta
    “Who are you?” challenged Bond
    “Why, I’m Santa of course” came the reply
    “Poppycock, everyone knows that’s just kids stuff” scoffed Bond
    “Are you really so sure, Mr Bond?” sneered the man in red
    Bond’s jaw clenched, then with one swift motion he reached up and tore off the hat and beard
    “Blofeld!” exclaimed Bond, working his way around the chimney to face his adversary
    The Moonlight glistened on the bald Christmas bauble of a head
    “Yes, Mr Bond, I’m back! All the way back and at the head of an even more dangerous organisation that before; - SANTA! The Secret Association of Nihilists, Terrorists and Anarchists!” cried Blofeld in triumph
    “And what fiendish scheme have you cooked up this time?”
    “Please Mr Bond, you make it sound like a Christmas dinner”
    “Never mind that, what gives?”
    “Nothing less than the complete and utter destruction of Christmas itself!” hissed Blofeld, “In side this sack I have enough acid after-shave, exploding deodorant sticks and poison perfume to kill every parent in the World when they open their presents on Christmas morning!”
    “Diabolical!”
    “Thank you”
    “But what’s in it for you?”
    “Nothing, after I and my minions took over the North Pole, I contacted the UN with my usual demands, but like you none of them believe in SANTA either... but I’m going to change their minds about that, very soon!”
    “What happened to the real Santa Claus then?”
    “I’m holding him back at the workshop as a hostage”
    “So who’s the stiff downstairs?”
    “That’s Number 12, he was delegated to carry out the plan, however I discovered that he had gone soft and was going to deliver the original presents, so he had to be eliminated, and you know what they say, if you want something done properly you’d best do it yourself”
    “Exactly, so I’m personally going to make sure your goose is cooked this time”
    “There you go with the food metaphors again!”
    “Listen pal, don’t try to tell me my job, and besides there are no beautiful girls in this story for me to make puns to, so you'll take it and like it"
    “Now Dasher, now Dancer, now Prancer, now Vixen! On Comet, On Cupid, On Donner and Blitzen!” shouted Blofeld
    Bond felt several sharp points of pain as a pair of antlers jabbed him in the back and knocked him off balance on the sloping surface of the roof
    As Blofeld dropped from sight down the chimney to make his escape, Bond dived forward and managed to grab hold of the deadly sack before Blofeld could drag it in after him
    Bond rolled away from flailing hooves and scrambled to shelter behind the chimney. He could hear Blofeld scuffling his way down the shaft, he reached into the bag and pulled out a deodorant, he studied it intently for a moment, then, with a shrug, he unscrewed the top and threw it down the chimney, like a grenade. There was an explosion and the sound of collapsing brickwork before a final spurt of coal dust burst from the top of the chimney.
    “Now I’d better go and rescue the real Santa” said Bond shooting his cuffs
    Then, looking at his Rolex oyster perpetual watch, he frowned, “No, that will have to wait, there are presents to deliver!”
    Bond hopped up onto the sleigh “Not quite like the Aston Martin, but if the rumours are true... now Dasher, now Dancer, now Prancer, now Vixen! On Comet, On Cupid, On Donner and Blitzen!” and with that, the reindeer jumped forward pulling the sleigh up into the night sky to carry out it’s special mission
    This Christmas I'm going to try and squeeze the 142 minute On Her Majesty's Secret Service in between seeing family members! It's quite a long film, so I may only finish half...but we shall see!