Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited August 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Everybody seems to have a favourite as they should. I think it depends a great deal on which Bond you were first introduced to. I liked Brosnan and I like Craig.. grew up on Moore. I appreciate what Dalton tried to do. And I was named after Connery so I was destined to remain a Bond fan regardless.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    A question to everyone:

In the Fleming novels Bond is in his mid 30's to early 40's (if I recall that correctly).

Having finished my Bondathon now I realised that I actually like it most when Bond is "young", like the first 4 Connery movies, the first two Moore movies, the first 3 Brosnan movies and the first two Craig movies.
    Bond simply looks his best in those movies, after that it goes downhill with all of the actors I mentioned.

I really hope BB will cast a new Bond that is 35 years old, possibly even looking a bit more youthful, and do movies with him until he's 45 max.
    It would reflect the Fleming Bond better imo, and make more sense as the age question would never even pop up anymore.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425
    eddychaput wrote: »
    Wishaw needs a couple more Bond films for his Q to become iconic but I think that as an actor he was terrific as SF and could, in a few years, be loved as much as Desmond.

I might be wrong but do people really see Wishaw hanging around all that long?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    People were already declaring Craig as the best Bond after CR came out.

Those "people" were the immediate die-hard Craig fans. And exactly that's when they went unbelievable immediately.

Declaring an actor the best Bond AFTER ONLY ONE MOVIE!!!

Well, if people said it after Dr No, then I'd cut them some slack. ;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    A question to everyone:

In the Fleming novels Bond is in his mid 30's to early 40's (if I recall that correctly).

Having finished my Bondathon now I realised that I actually like it most when Bond is "young", like the first 4 Connery movies, the first two Moore movies, the first 3 Brosnan movies and the first two Craig movies.
    Bond simply looks his best in those movies, after that it goes downhill with all of the actors I mentioned.

I really hope BB will cast a new Bond that is 35 years old, possibly even looking a bit more youthful, and do movies with him until he's 45 max.
    It would reflect the Fleming Bond better imo, and make more sense as the age question would never even pop up anymore.

The only movies in which Bond feels "young" to me are DN and OHMSS. Even in CR, Craig feels older than the role. Moore, Dalton, and Brosnan all felt "older"/more seasoned from the onset.

I'd love to see a Bond who is and feels young--like you said, 35--without rebooting.
    I think their will be at least a 3 or maybe even a 4 year gap until Bond appears again?
    A question to everyone:

I'd love that too, especially with the now three years gap. Early to mid 30s. How feasible that is another debate entirely.
  • jake24 wrote:
    What direction will the 007 series take after Daniel's helm? Where would Bond go after the Craig era?

I am 200% against another reboot. We have set things straight with a complete new 2nd timeline. Time that an actor continues that timeline, similar to what George Lazenby/Roger Moore did after Sean Connery. Again, NO new reboot! Continue in this timeframe, but now with slightly different 'flair', slightly more humour. I wouldn't mind if Henry Cavill continues the timeline.

Also, the entire MI6-crew NEEDS TO STAY AS WELL. So, just to be clear :-).
    I'd like to see Nolan do a one off
    I would to
  • Not me.

With Sam Mendes we already have our own....quadrilogy of Bond films.

Nolan can direct, but he has to adhere, to commit himself to the new Bond timeline, initiated by Martin Campbell.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited September 2015 Posts: 9,020
    As much as I think Nolan would make a great Bond I'm afraid he is just too famous now and controversial too.

I hope for a director that is low-key. So the social media and forums wouldn't immediately go berserk.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Nolan is not a very good writer. His films are all exposition and bloated for it. I suppose if he directed someone else's script that might work.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    Hope we get a Bond where Dalton is the villain.
    Normally, I don't like making arguments by comparing bad ideas to worse ones, but…we've already seen MR and DAD, I think for the record books, it would be nice to see a Bond come back for one time.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The closest we'll ever get to that is THE NOVEMBER MAN.
    Wouldn't mind seeing a Bros come back too. Lower budget film for sure. Just to give the fans something.
    Wish EON had two production arms. One doing the main movies and another doing period Bonds, perhaps a serialisation of the novels.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Getafix wrote: »
    Wish EON had two production arms. One doing the main movies and another doing period Bonds, perhaps a serialisation of the novels.

A big yes to this.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    echo wrote: »
    Nolan is not a very good writer. His films are all exposition and bloated for it. I suppose if he directed someone else's script that might work.

I really don't see where Nolan can go with Bond. He loves, as you say exposition and bloat, as well as inner angst. All of the key drivers of this in Bond's world have been and will be explored by the time Craig bows out, so there really isn't any of this personal stuff to play with, which is Nolan's wet dream.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    We need to go back to stand alone Bond films that just focus on a mission that was given to Bond. No more personal plot lines. I feel like Craig's entire run as Bond has all been personal to him on some level.
    I agree that Nolan directing Bond is likely a big mistake. I like some of his work, but I think if he did Bond, it would be over-complicated and not fun enough.
  • Hugh Jackman would 'seriously consider' playing James Bond

here's a link to theguarian article

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/sep/03/hugh-jackman-would-seriously-consider-playing-james-bond
    Yeah, Nolan is a fine director but not good for Bond. His writing alone is pretty lackluster. He would be Mendes 2.0. As well as bringing Hans Zimmer into the composer seat and Zimmer hasn't composed a memorable score in a couple decades.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    jake24 wrote:
    What direction will the 007 series take after Daniel's helm? Where would Bond go after the Craig era?

I am 200% against another reboot. We have set things straight with a complete new 2nd timeline. Time that an actor continues that timeline, similar to what George Lazenby/Roger Moore did after Sean Connery. Again, NO new reboot! Continue in this timeframe, but now with slightly different 'flair', slightly more humour. I wouldn't mind if Henry Cavill continues the timeline.

Also, the entire MI6-crew NEEDS TO STAY AS WELL. So, just to be clear :-).

I agree with this except for casting a Cavill.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Murdock wrote: »
    Yeah, Nolan is a fine director but not good for Bond. His writing alone is pretty lackluster. He would be Mendes 2.0. As well as bringing Hans Zimmer into the composer seat and Zimmer hasn't composed a memorable score in a couple decades.

Zimmer's scores for both Inception and Interstellar were fantastic IMO. Nolan and Zimmer are completely wrong for Bond, though.
    Nolan is a better version of Mendes IMO. Mendes ripped off Nolan for SF in many ways. I'd like to see what Nolan himself could do with Bond. Those who say he can't write are surely ignoring the fact he (and his brother?) have written some really fantastic little twisty thrillers.

And I would love to see what Zimmer can do.

It seems bizarre to NOT want to see what Nolan, Zimmer and co could do with a Bond movie. The production design on Nolan's films is almost always top notch as well - his films are visually stunning. I know people think SF was the best looking Bond movie ever, but I don't buy it at all - the film looks fine but nothing special.

The prospect of Nolan directing is Tantalising.
    I'd rather have Quentin Tarantino direct a Bond movie over Nolan.
    I wonder what a Bond score from Ennio Morricone would sound like.
    With the above. I would like to see a series of standalone movies. Take some risks with the franchise. It's on good financial footing now. Drop the budget and do something different.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I want Christian Bale as Bond. It won't happen but he would be great if Craig steps down (which I don't want either).
  • MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham
    We need someone a bit lighter maybe, a bit of star power? And would love to see Gareth Evans and Park-Chan-Wook direct the next two films. Actor I'd go for an Aussie, Thor himself.

Tarantino is a hack, he's such a con artist.