Metal Gear Solid (1987 - present)

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Damn-- now you've got the gears turning in my head....

(debates looking up spoilers)

As long as it's not something like 'Big Boss dies in the helicopter and you play as a clone' or something like that I should be good I think

Hmm...funny you should sat all that because the truth is worse.

Click spoiler if you want to know
    BB doesn't die BUT we the player don't play as him. We play as the medic who was on the chopper with BB at the end of ground zeroes. The medic has facial reconstruction to look like BB (he is now B&B'S double. His phantom) and in the 9 year coma he has, he's undergone hypnotic suggestion to genuinely believe he's the real BB). However, the real BB was only in a coma for 2 years and he along with zero, Kaz and Ocelot are the only ones that know the truth about the Medic being a fake BB.

I don't know what to tell you but I look forward to hearing your reaction. I on the other hand am saddened and can't believe my beloved series has taken this route. I'm going to drown my sorrows in alcohol now that I have concrete confirmation of the facts.
    doubleoego wrote: »

Hmm...funny you should say all that because the truth is worse.

Click spoiler if you want to know
    BB doesn't die BUT we the player don't play as him. We play as the medic who was on the chopper with BB at the end of ground zeroes. The medic has facial reconstruction to look like BB (he is now B&B'S double. His phantom) and in the 9 year coma he has, he's undergone hypnotic suggestion to genuinely believe he's the real BB). However, the real BB was only in a coma for 2 years and he along with zero, Kaz and Ocelot are the only ones that know the truth about the Medic being a fake BB.

omg.gif
    (collects self) Well it could be OK if handled right....
    Did you find this out from an online source or did you get the game early? The more I think about it, the more the pieces fit- remember the Phantom Pain trailer (before we even knew it was MGS) and the bandaged man had Kiefer's voice? Does this mean the real Big Boss didn't even lose his arm (good for him!)? Will we get to actually play as him?

The only thing that truly has me scratching my head is that MGS5 was supposed to tell the untold story, about what went down to make BB turn to the bad guy Solid Snake eventually kills. With this whole body double bit, seems like they're making it way more complex than it needs to be.

We'll see I guess
    Mate,
    I don't have the game yet and now Knowing what I do, it's compromised what would ordinarily be a day one purchase. The game and game's guide has been out since last Tuesday and I've spent the better part of every day since then on various MGS-related forums and speaking to those that actually have the game.

The way things are, it could be interesting but like you said, I wanted to see BB shift into villain territory and not him become a villain off screen by allowing certain atrocities to happen and we as the player are running around as the bloody medic who's been reconstructed physically and mentally to be BB. I'm very salty over this.
  • Having some fun with my emblem- they give you the most random words to pla with, lol!

12002129_10100757970333551_7742960532079342231_n.jpg?oh=01e727fd2a5084e5f6743764ca70d485&oe=5661324F

Who's still having fun playing? I can't get enough of it.
    @doubleoego I haven't gotten to the 'big twist' yet, but knowing what I know from you, it does add a new light to the game. Knowing ahead of time, I realize Kojima dropped LOTS of hints right in our face, lol
    Way back in the beginning, 'Ishmael' had Kiefer's voice. In Ground Zeroes, the medic did too. Lots of little things like that
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I was a sick f*ck and chose BOY SNATCHER as my emblem.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have never been a fan of the MGS games, though i've played the first 3 on the PS1/PS2. But I came across some information on the latest game, which lead me to watch some reviews/gameplay videos, and now i'm actually interested in buying The Phantom Pain. The sanbox/stealth aspect has me curious.
    Gameplay mechanics, TPP is the best in the series BUT in regards to everything else, it's the worst game overall. MGS, MGS2, MGS3 are the best in the series for me.
  • Hey guys, for the first time in a while I played a little Phantom Pain- I replayed some of the earlier missions and I have a couple questions that weren't answered (unless they're on a tape I missed)
    One, regarding Miller: did he lose his limbs in 1975 when the helicopter crashed or in 1984 when he was captured?

And two, I think everyone knows the big spoiler by now but just in case, I don't want to be the one who ruins it for someone so I'll put it in the spoiler tags anyway:
    We now know that 'Venom Snake' wakes up in 1984 and the real Big Boss is already in place as Ishmael. What I'm wondering is, when exactly did BB wake up from his coma? We know he was in one for at least a while, from the infamous cutscene (and the beginning to the 'Not Your Kind of People' trailer) because it's definitely BB lying there, with no shrapnel in his head, and Miller then looks at the camera and says 'what about him?'. 'Him', we now know is Venom Snake. So both of them were in comas.

Also, how is he virtually unmarked after the helicopter crash? I saw in the flashback that Venom took the brunt of the blast but still...

So that's all I was wondering! Sorry for the necro-post, lol. Anyone else still playing?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Both of these questions can be answered!

Miller lost his limbs in 1984, when he was ambushed by the SKULLS and captured by the Soviets. I can't remember where this is referenced, but it's probably on one of the mandatory tapes that you get during missions.

As for the spoiler...
    Big Boss woke up from his coma about a week or so before Venom Snake. At that same time, Tretij Rebenok (Psycho Mantis) crashed a plane and ended up in a Soviet hospital near the awoken Colonel Volgin. The two were kept in containment until Skull Face took them and used them to assault the hospital in Cyprus where Big Boss and Venom Snake were. Enough time needed to pass for Big Boss to regain his muscle mass, so that's why I put the whole ordeal at two weeks from when Big Boss wakes up to the attack on the hospital. As for how Big Boss looks roughly the same after the helicopter crash, well... Miller just got a couple scars, why not Big Boss? The man got through Groznyj Grad, San Heironymo and the Peace Walker incident with little-to-no scarring, why should a simple helicopter crash be any different?

I still play occasionally. I recently went through the motions of getting Quiet back.
  • I knew I could count on you @Agent007391
    Thanks!

I lost Quiet too- and since I somehow missed out on the gunsmith, I bit the bullet and started a new game. It's funny, as much as I love the game, you really could get away with calling it "Metal Gear V: Fulton Everything" :D
    I doubt you missed him. He might have just been replaced by a more skilled soldier. The game does that sometimes. There's a way to keep them from being replaced, but I can't remember how to do it.
  • I picked this bad boy up last night at my local comic store! It was pretty expensive, but I had accrued enough points for a 25% discount so I finally got him!

He's great, and looks fantastic with all my other MGS stuff. The only negative would be some of the ball and socket joints are a bit loose, especially in the legs and torso, so the clear plastic stand is essential.

But on the plus side.... well, just look at him! He's loaded with accessories: a multitude of hands, cigarettes, 'muzzle flash' for his weapon, and THE BOX!!! He also has two faces, one regular, and one with gritted teeth.
    Even his freaking eyeballs are articulated! HIS EYEBALLS!

IMG_4260_zpsp4cdlwom.jpgIMG_4261_zps79am6r6v.jpg
    IMG_4258_zpskixvqq8r.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I need to get that figure. I have the old McFarlane MGS2 snake figure from 2002.
    7PqzHutl.jpg
    aB91W7zl.jpg
    0Sorrxbl.jpg
  • I had that one too! When you got the whole set you could build Metal Gear Ray!
    IMG_4261_zps79am6r6v.jpg
    This pose made me realize: this company needs to make Bond!!

• edited February 2016 Posts: 613
    This is the first time I've seen this thread , and Im happy there are some fans on here I have mgs , mgs 2 ,mgs3, mgs4 and have beat them all, some of my favorite games.Mgs 1 being in my top 2 ps1 games.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 11,139
    I picked this bad boy up last night at my local comic store! It was pretty expensive, but I had accrued enough points for a 25% discount so I finally got him!

He's great, and looks fantastic with all my other MGS stuff. The only negative would be some of the ball and socket joints are a bit loose, especially in the legs and torso, so the clear plastic stand is essential.

But on the plus side.... well, just look at him! He's loaded with accessories: a multitude of hands, cigarettes, 'muzzle flash' for his weapon, and THE BOX!!! He also has two faces, one regular, and one with gritted teeth.
    Even his freaking eyeballs are articulated! HIS EYEBALLS!

IMG_4260_zpsp4cdlwom.jpgIMG_4261_zps79am6r6v.jpg
    [img]http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq 164/baldahark/IMG_4258_zpskixvqq8r.jpg[/img]

200w.gif

Who's still playing MGSV? I'm loving the customizable emblems for your base! Too bad you don't have more freedom, like in Call of Duty.... then I'd really come up with some cool ones.

Here's some of my recent ones:
    I wanted to have an 80's theme, with a cool sounding name for Mother Base- here's DEAD PARADISE!

METAL%20GEAR%20SOLID%20V_%20THE%20PHANTOM%20PAIN_20160305100410_zpsqcdzdz3c.jpg

Then I had VENOM FORCES- I attempted to make Venom Snake's skull with the shrapnel, but there were too many limitations. Unfortunately I had to resort to using the triangle background shrunk down as the shrapnel- which of course left me with no background. It looked cool on Mother Base but it was practically invisible on the soldiers arm.

METAL%20GEAR%20SOLID%20V_%20THE%20PHANTOM%20PAIN_20160305101120_zpsvs6i4tya.jpg

Another for DEAD PARADISE- I had this one for a while, since it showed up really well on the characters arm

METAL%20GEAR%20SOLID%20V_%20THE%20PHANTOM%20PAIN_20160305165710_zpsno4mifsw.jpg

Here's another one that frustrated the hell out of me, due to the limitations. I really wanted it to say 'NO PEACE' but there wasn't a 'NO' and I tried to crop out a word that ended in 'no' but it wouldn't cooperate.... so I just did N and O separately with the peace logo ~X(

METAL%20GEAR%20SOLID%20V_%20THE%20PHANTOM%20PAIN_20160307123635_zpsk07k4hcj.jpg

Here's what it currently is- I wanted a name that sounded canon, and with the 80's colors again! VENOM SQUAD! (I'll probably change it to 'Forces' later)

METAL%20GEAR%20SOLID%20V_%20THE%20PHANTOM%20PAIN_20160309105051_zps9mjzr38y.jpgMETAL%20GEAR%20SOLID%20V_%20THE%20PHANTOM%20PAIN_20160309105152_zpsl4ojgur7.jpg
    I still pop the game in occasionally, but I keep my first emblem. I shall forever be BOY SNATCHER.
    "We are Boy Snatchers."

tumblr_inline_n6x3m1eupD1qd8pxx.jpg

:))
    Played on a different profile at a friend's place, went with CHILD PREDATOR. Somebody over there should have thought about these combinations.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Still playing and enjoying the game. Sitting at 97%, and trying to work on the remaining items, Haven't really messed with customized emblems yet, but I know I will have alot of items to choose from, with the S Rank achievements.
    I have no words for this. Enjoy.

Ha ha ha! Incredible!
    Hahaha nice
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 4,813
    I finally scored the FULL SCALE 1/1 Venom Snake bionic arm!! Formerly only available in Japan (while us Americans got stuck with the puny 1/2 scale one)

This thing is awesome!

13301420_10100922501721331_4854107885515129155_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9
    Anyone feel like crying?

The graphics are insane!

[yt]

Why? Why? Why?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Anyone feel like crying?

The graphics are insane!

[yt]

Why? Why? Why?

Because somewhere in the last couple years, somebody at Konami decided "The people who buy our games should be rewarded! Fire Kojima and deny him the credit he deserves! Destroy our console gaming division! Cancel Silent Hills! Mobile games and Pachislot from here on out!"

And this is why Resident Evil is the only franchise I have left.
    The graphics are outstanding. I wonder if Sony would ever buy the MGS rights, since Konami is supposedly getting out of the console business. That would make for something special if Kojima could get his hands back on the series.
    Metal Gear is too much of a cash cow for Konami, merchandising rights alone are gonna keep it there until it stops paying for itself. And Kojima's glad to be rid of it, so he can focus on new things, like What-The-Fuck-Does-Norman-Reedus-Have-A-Fetus-For Death Stranding.

My theory is this could possibly be a nightmare Big Boss is having while in a coma. Otherwise it makes no sense. Sony needs to buy the rights, and put Kojima back to work. There is so much potential for more content..remakes of MG1 and MG2, possibly a story on The Boss or Liquid Snake, hell even Solidus.