Metal Gear Solid (1987 - present)

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I played both years ago. The point I was trying to make was, seeing those events updated with everything the series has reintroduced as well as from a graphical and game play perspective. Ultimately, I feel that exploring BB's story need's to culminate with his confrontations with snake. There's so much opportunity there I feel.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    As we are getting close to the release date of MGS5, the anticipation is killing me. Found this awesome music video:

If this is really the end of MGS, I hope Kojima is going out on a bang. its too bad Konami is deciding to focus only on mobile content. I know Kojima has stated this is the end, but I hope Kojima Productions the very best in the future.
    Yes this is the end and very likely the only way Kojima can actually stick to his word of this game being his last MGS title. As a life long fan its going to be a sad day but this game WILL be epic. Very little is known about the story and with a few characters from past games showing up i.e. Liquid and Mantis, I'm hoping the LET project gets more emphasis and I really want to see BB's "turn" play out. For things to really come full circle and complete I don't need to see Solid Snake even though that would be perfect bug just hearing his voice, hearing BB give him his mission for the events of MG would be easy to do and bring overwhelming contentment for me. Solid Snake not appearing in the last ever MGS game just wouldn't be right at all.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    It'll be so difficult saying goodbye to Metal Gear this September...
    It will be, which is why storywise, TPP I feel needs to address so much. Based on the limited amount of info, testers were allowed to give recently until the embargo is lifted on 9th June, the game itself is beyond massive and I'm hoping the story is equally so. In actual fact this game should have the deepest and biggest story of the series given the events that do occur over at least a 9 year period. Definitely going to embark on an MGS marathon starting mid-August in preparation for September 1st.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Don't you mean an 11 year period? 1984-1995? Or do you mean the 9 years between 1975 and 1984?
    The latter; which is why I said, at least. It's still undetermined if the events of MG will even be addressed and as much as I'd like to see that I really don't want to escalate my hopes too high because I'll be emotional playing the game as it is lol.
    As if Eli wasn't obviously Liquid before today, let's stick him in a REX prototype roughly 20 years before REX will be built! And stick another Eli beside him! I hope that's Solidus, not Solid, because if it's Solid, that's too much of a contradiction for me.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 4,813
    I feel like it's Solidus, because I thought in the first MGS game Snake was surprised to hear he had a brother, right?

I love in the second trailer doubleoego added when Quiet shoots the burning tip off of Big Boss' cigar and he just calmly looks up at her in approval as if to say 'nice shot'
    That REX angers me, though.
    I doubt it's Solidus. How old do those twins look? The year is definitely circa 1984 by which time Solidus was leading soldiers in the Liberian army. Also, Kojima said he'll be making some retcons and neither Liquid and Solid new about Solidus until the events of MGS2 and when talking of the twins, it's always Liquid and Solid.

This game is going to be epic.
    There's a line between retcon and contradiction, and Liquid and Solid being in the same place at the same time and seeing one another outright crosses it, turns around, gives it the middle finger, and then sh*ts on it. This is worse than Gray Fox's backstory being retconned in Portable Ops. It's gonna take some straight-up amnesia for both Solid and Liquid for MGS1 to happen correctly in the first place.

Now, lemme talk about the stuff I did love, because the trailer is downright amazing, despite the contradictions. Skull Face's narration was intense, it really put you in this guy's mindset. The adult British accented voice heard later (like when Peace Walker's AI pod looks like it's pulled out of mothballs) I can only assume is Zero, so I really hope we actually see him, because it would just be a crime if we don't.

And Kaz going off the deep end... Damn... It leads me to yet another blatant contradiction, because Master Miller in Metal Gear 2 was nothing like this. Granted, his advice was generally bullsh*t, but he wasn't a sadistic maniac torturing his friends. (Unless you count giving Snake useless information to be psychological torture, in which case I guess he was like this in Metal Gear 2.) I really want to see Kaz go crazy in this game, if only because Robin Atkin Downes' voice as a bad guy is a thousand percent more awesome (play Uncharted 3 and you'll know what I mean)

I don't pretend to know what those growths are on that one soldier's chest. Those were disgusting as f*ck. Seriously. F*cking tumors, or some sh*t.

I know I'm likely flogging a dead horse here, but I would have loved for this trailer to have some sort of nudge toward proving or disproving the "Chico is Quiet" theory. I know it's probably not true, if it hasn't outright been debunked, but I would have loved a nudge.

Now the things I just didn't like because I just didn't like them. REX I can talk about all day, because g*ddamnit, it shouldn't be there. It just shouldn't. There were two Metal Gear models prior to REX, we could at least some some sort of hint to those rather than the one that made the series famous. It now looks like Otacon was rummaging through a desk, found his dad's old plans and decided to pass them off as his own. We're told the Emmerich line has a dark history, I didn't think it would be simply plagiarism.

I swear it looks like Paz is still alive, which will send me over the f*cking deep end and likely cause me to throw something. How the absolute hell do you survive a bomb in your vagina? A bomb that obliterated two helicopters. I hope this is either a hallucination or a flashback or, f*ck, just make Paz a clone of the Boss or something and there were two Les Enfants Terribles programs! Do not bring her back!

Despite my feelings toward the contradictions, I'm still every bit as pumped for this game as I always have been, if not more so, and the days until September 1st will be killing me as I wait to pop this in my PS3 and enjoy potentially the best game of 2015, Uncharted 4 be damned. I want this game, and I'm not going to let those contradictions stop me from enjoying it.
    That's not Rex in mgs v. It's a prototype. The differences are notable.
    I never meant literally the same one in MGS1, but the existence of a machine that looks exactly the same 20 years earlier is just plain wrong.

Launch trailer.
    All I'm going to say is, there are going to be a LOT of upset and confused fans.
    Trailer is epic. Were so close to the launch!

Trailer is epic. Were so close to the launch!

I can't believe we're almost there! I just noticed the 'Game Stop preorder' charge show up on my bank account!!! Got the one with the arm and metal box way back.

I'm pretty annoyed though-- two months ago I bought the new Elder Scrolls Online for my girlfriend and was shocked to discover there wasn't enough room to install it!!!
    I uninstalled Call of Duty just so she could play but I was left wondering WTF I was going to do when Phantom Pain came out (to say nothing of Fallout 4 down the road)

I actually had to hop on Amazon and buy a 2 terabyte hard drive. Seriously, what kind of BS is that?? I only have 5 games on the PS4. I got the bigger hard drive on the PS3 back in 2008 but I could justify that because I had a LOT of games and many more on PSN.
    Anyway, I bit the bullet and ordered the stupid thing.

Now the annoying part is, Phantom Pain comes out September 1st... and Amazon tracking says the hard drive will come the 2nd!!

OMG-Facepalm-GIF.gif?gs=a

I guess I can fiddle with the little arm and read the package for a day while everyone else is playing..... :((
    Soon, my friends, we'll all be enjoying the bittersweet final game in the Metal Gear franchise. 28 years, and it comes to an end September 1st.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    This game looks so fun, but I know absolutely nothing about the history of these games so I know I'll be totally lost if I played it.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 4,813
    @Creasy47, my main man, get out there and buy this:

51LiPkHNlVL.jpg

It's got the best character development you can find. Plus I understand in MGSV you can get online and attack other peoples Mother Bases. We should start a friendly rivalry on this board! 8-}
    I just can't wait!

*Edit- In fact, Creasy, get MGSV anyway-- we'll bring you up to speed!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I only have a PS4 :( I wish I still had a current-gen system so I could go back and play games like that.
    YouTube, man, YouTube.
    With the way things are going and looking my enthusiasm for this game has dropped.
    What do you mean @doubleoego ?
    Hell I'm seriously considering calling out of work! ;)

Wait till you get a load of the twist.

Damn-- now you've got the gears turning in my head....

(debates looking up spoilers)

As long as it's not something like 'Big Boss dies in the helicopter and you play as a clone' or something like that I should be good I think
    doubleoego wrote: »

Wait till you get a load of the twist.

You're not getting to me, @doubleoego, I refuse. I'm going to enjoy this game no matter what.

Just out of curiosity, how did you come by this information?