Pierce Brosnan on his James Bond movies: 'I just don't find any comfort in watching them'

gt007gt007 Station G
edited November 2011 in Actors Posts: 1,182
<blockquote>Pierce Brosnan doesn't mind leaving the James Bond-watching to his sons these days.

"I never go near them," the actor tells Zap2it about his four rounds as Agent 007 that began with "GoldenEye" (1995) and ended with "Die Another Day" (2002). "I'm badly criticized by my boys that I will not sit and watch them with them, but I just don't have any desire to see them. I find no nourishment in them."

At the same time, Brosnan maintains he's "deeply proud" of the work he did as the Bond predecessor to Daniel Craig, who will mark the movie franchise's 50th anniversary in "Skyfall" next year. "I just don't find any comfort in watching them. I'll cast my eye over them, but I have to move away and say, 'Go ahead, boys. It's all yours.'"

Almost 20 years after he last did television, Brosnan returns to the home screen in the A&E thriller "Stephen King's Bag of Bones" Sunday and Monday, Dec. 11 and 12. The former "Remington Steele" star also is partnered with producer Shawn Ryan ("The Shield") and Sony Pictures Television in developing a series about a globetrotting sleuth.

"I've always enjoyed TV," says the Irish-born Brosnan, who counts "Mamma Mia!" and the Roman Polanski-directed "The Ghost Writer" among his other feature films of recent years. "If the material is well-written and you have a fantastic director and crew, it is just a joy. You're in constant motion and you're making decisions rapidly. If you've got good players, you're just always inventing and thinking on your feet.

"Sometimes in the world of movies, they go at a snail's pace, and there's room for second-guessing. You even feel your performance slipping away through the cracks sometimes, just walking from the trailer to the set, because it takes so darn long. I like to work fast. Get on with it, and don't be self-indulgent ... just do it."</blockquote>

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2011/11/pierce-brosnan-on-his-james-bond-movies-i-just-dont-find-any-comfort-in-watching-them.html

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Him not watching his films doesn't surprise me in the least.
  • tqbtqb
    eh i hate watching myself act
  • Yes, Brosnan has stated that he no longer participates in viewings of previous Bond releases and has seemed to have divorced himself from the series as a whole

Moving on and not looking back in the best sense here from the Irishmans perspective
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Apart from GE and perhaps TND, I can't blame Brosnan for not wanting to re-visit them, although technically I'd say he gave one of his best performances in DAD. Plus, sleeping with Rosamund Pike must at least bring up good memories, no? ;)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,879
    A great deal of actors also make it a rule not to watch their own films. Just look at Johnny Depp. He's mentioned several times in interviews that he will never watch his own material.
    To be honest I dont visit his Bond films much. The series tends to jump between LTK and CR for me...
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    I can just see his painface watching his painface :-))
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Well, think about it, he'd be looking at his performances differently now, as a viewer instead of the actor. He'll be just like any of us then, and he WILL then probably hate his latter two films and probably praise his first two.

I do wonder if he still watches the other Bond films, however.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Pierce Brosnan is a walking talking contradiction. He says one thing one minute and says the opposite the next.
    Mind you some great people like John Lennon did the same.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Apart from GE and perhaps TND, I can't blame Brosnan for not wanting to re-visit them, although technically I'd say he gave one of his best performances in DAD. Plus, sleeping with Rosamund Pike must at least bring up good memories, no? ;)
    Sleeping with Rosamund will bring up a lot, but not memories, I think.

@NicNac another thing they have in common with my mad aunt!

All in all I get the impression Brosnan just isn't interested in talking to the media at all. Which is fair enough.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Why would an actor not watch their own work? Isn't that part of the job and a way of improving on what's gone before?

As for Brosnan, yes he's mentioned this in the past and I understand his viewpoint, no looking back and all, but he does come across as not liking his films due to them (and him) being critisised, despite saying how "deeply proud" he is of it...

As for the last paragraph, could that be taken as a dig at Bond?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 7,567
    The above quotes also appear in the Mail in UK along with a hilarious photo of PB walking down the street in Hollywood attracting admiring glances from a lady passer-by. Superb- take a look

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2062204/Pierce-Brosnan-58-turns-heads-leathers.html
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Gee, if I was Brozza, I wouldn't care if I was married or not. I'd SO go there :)
  • I love the "get the look" captions on the pictures, especially the last one on the beach. I'm picturing "start by eating a dozen donuts a day..."
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Brosnan doesn't like watching the Bond films he starred in? SNAP!
    i like him as bond i like his movies but it seems to me that hes sore bout not being brought back to being agent 007. i beleve thats why he is saying whay he said in that he doesnt wanna watch something he did but doesnt get credit for X(
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 2,107
    Newsflash ; actors do no like watching their own movies. Some do it because they have to add commentary for a dvd. I bet even dear Sir Roger wouldn't watch his movies if he didn't have to record a commentary for them.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I do understand Brosnan - I hate watching myself in old family videos.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 886
    Know how he feels. :-<
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It is quite weird. Anyone can say with confidence "If I was an actor I'd see all my films". But in all serious, who actually would if they became a famous actor? I see where Brosnan is coming from too. I naturally hate attention and dislike being shown on video or in pictures. Brosnan might not want to relive those films again. He made them, I don't think he needs to watch them.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited November 2011 Posts: 1,699
    The above quotes also appear in the Mail in UK along with a hilarious photo of PB walking down the street in Hollywood attracting admiring glances from a lady passer-by. Superb- take a look

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2062204/Pierce-Brosnan-58-turns-heads-leathers.html
    :-))

Ah, The Brozzer... I do love him, I really do.

One can kind of understand his relucatance to revisit Bond by sitting down and watching his flicks, mind. The whole thing was such a huge part of his life - it defined it in many ways, I guess - that the raw emotions (especially those involved in the way in which he departed the role) must spring up whenever he sees any footage from his movies. Same was probably true - and maybe still is - for any of the other previous 007s. May be for Craig too, who knows.

Of course, each of the actors are different, but I doubt any of 'em enjoy sitting down and reliving the experience of their flicks as a viewer much...
    Yes, Brosnan has stated that he no longer participates in viewings of previous Bond releases and has seemed to have divorced himself from the series as a whole

Moving on and not looking back in the best sense here from the Irishmans perspective
    Nothing surprising about any of this. Lots of actors never watch their own work. Timothy Dalton did not even attend the premiere of TLD.

I think the reason for that is because of self-doubt. They want to (if even partially) delude themselves into believing they did the best they could, and if they watch their own films they'll see what they did wrong. Clearly John Cena never watched any of his movies, because he sucked in all of them.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I completely agree watching his films is a chore!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I completely agree watching his films is a chore!
    I physically hurt when watching DAD. Though, that may be in part from me smacking my head against the wall...
    Now, y'see, my viewing experience with DAD has changed over the years. I loved it when I saw it in theaters, hated it when it came out on home video, and now I've sort of calmed down and just think of it as a decent film that could have been far better.
    I was 10 when I saw it, so yes, it was amazing.

I watched it once since, and havn't touched it.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    Pierce Brosnan is a walking talking contradiction. He says one thing one minute and says the opposite the next.
    Mind you some great people like John Lennon did the same.
    it's called living in the moment

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Honestly, how many people would want to watch themselves act? I surely wouldn't. It's just a sense of watching yourself do something that feels off, whether it's scripted or not.

Can't wait to see you in 'Bag of Bones', Brosnan. Looks great.
    Honestly, how many people would want to watch themselves act? I surely wouldn't. It's just a sense of watching yourself do something that feels off, whether it's scripted or not.

Can't wait to see you in 'Bag of Bones', Brosnan. Looks great.
    I may give that a watch. I love detective type shows.