Who should write B25 (aka who should replace Purvis and Wade)?

Comments

• Creasy47 wrote: »
    @thelivingroyale, if he wrote, you know we'd get some brutal and unique fight scenes, and if he directed, then you really know we'd get some.

Yeah he's amazingly talented. A Bond film from him would be a dream come true. Sadly though I don't know if that's the direction EON are going in, I think once Mendes leaves they'll want another more arty Oscar bait type director to take his place, and they'll get writers who will produce scripts that accommodate that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Well once they return to a more straight forward approach with more action/hand-to-hand fight scenes being what they want (if that'll ever happen again), they need to give this man a call. The kitchen fight in 'The Raid 2' is probably the best bit of fight choreography I've ever seen in my life, and like you noted, even if he doesn't direct, he could deliver a well-paced spy drama with some great interwoven action.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Gareth Evans would be amazing and the Raid 2 showed the man can manage insane and innovative action with a compellingly thrilling story.
    Still need to watch the Raid
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Getafix wrote: »

Stop whatever you are doing right now and watch the 2 Raid films!

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I've seen part of the first one. It was overrated in my opinion. And I'm not going to watch the second.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

I've never heard of Gareth Evans or The Raid.
    I'd say get one or two of the people responsible for the best of the SPOOKS series. Give it a really credible base that is also somewhat SMART (no hiding in plain sight in an indefensible cabin), then see if it still reads taut after expanding a couple action beats into major setpieces.

If they could get rid of Craig and this hangup on making these dour non-bond movies, I'd say do what the producers will NEVER do, and that is let Tarantino do a full-on Fleming (a lot of his writing -- NOT the funny stuff -- seems like a transfusion from Fleming anyway). Eon really missed out creatively on that before (yeah, for the record I utterly despise the Eon CR) and since I don't see any maibaums on the horizon, then this would be a way that got me back into a theater seat.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2015 Posts: 12,459
    The fact is that the Bond scripts have been middling to poor for a very long time.

No, your opinion is that the scripts have been middling to poor. You're certainly welcome to hold that opinion, but no one is entitled to state that their opinion (political or artistic) is a FACT. You're not the first person to make this mistake and somehow I expect you won't be the last, but still: opinion. Not fact.
    As I've said before I don't understand why they don't have a safe full of plots and scripts ready to be dusted down and go into production at any given time.

Your lack of understanding regarding the process of making a movie is fairly obvious. Look at it this way: professional script writers don't work for free. In order for Eon to have this mythical safe full of plots and scripts you envision, they'd have to spend hundreds of thousands of $$$ on material they may or may not ever use. This is an unnecessary expense that isn't going to be incurred by Eon or any other professional filmmaker.
    Yes it's my opinion. Well spotted.

But you were stating it as fact, not your opinion, @Getafix ... which apparently you did not spot. That's the point.

So yes, I agree with you completely, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs.

RC7 wrote: »
    What's worth noting is the production process surrounding a film, particularly a tent-pole like Bond. The screenplay doesn't get written and then made verbatim. There are so many external factors at play that a very decent screenplay could end up being pulled apart to the point that it fails to work any longer, or at best doesn't quite sing as it once did. I would imagine SP is such an amalgam of thoughts and ideas that pinpointing who is responsible for what will be reasonably tricky and even when it's clear cut the likelihood it has transferred from script to screen as the writer intended is still slim. The whole process is collaborative, which is a blessing and a curse.

Let's not be too quick to dish out criticism on writers, if a director wants to push and pull their work in a different direction there's little they can do. My thoughts are that P&W have likely done just as much good work as anyone else during their tenure.
    I agree with you on all of this, @RC7.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2015 Posts: 4,548
    Purvis and Wade is only one of many incomprehensible decisions of BB and MGW.

They had a good run but with QOS and especially Skyfall it got more than evident that they don't have it in them anymore to write Bond properly. Skyfall is such a mess script wise and only thanks to the best cinematography ever and some over the top sequences that gets somewhat hidden.

BB and MGW don't have the guts to make bold decisions anymore. They play it safe.
    I'm more than certain they will hold on to Mendes as well and they will pay whatever necessary to keep him.

After Spectre the franchise needs a new start desperately.
    That includes new writers. And they have preferably to be born after 1968.

Jonathan Nolan would be perfect but the disadvantage with him is, he would need his brother to direct the movie, at least the first one. He is not independent enough yet to be on his own.

Matthew Vaughn would be perfect for a new style of Bond that is needed desperately after Craig has gone.

Guy Ritchie, now that would be fantastic, imagine what Ritchie could do with Bond.

Luc Besson (born 1959, my exception to the rule).
    If anyone has proven to be able to do spy/action/thrillers then it's him.

I think one of the most important things is to get someone who is not strictly a writer.
    The best movies are mostly made by director/writers like the ones I mentioned above.

That might not be true anymore. J. Nolan has just completed the HBO mini-series Westworld (yes, a remake of Michael Crichton's 1973 classic) without his brother's (credited) collaboration.
    The fact is that the Bond scripts have been middling to poor for a very long time.

No, your opinion is that the scripts have been middling to poor. You're certainly welcome to hold that opinion, but no one is entitled to state that their opinion (political or artistic) is a FACT. You're not the first person to make this mistake and somehow I expect you won't be the last, but still: opinion. Not fact.
    As I've said before I don't understand why they don't have a safe full of plots and scripts ready to be dusted down and go into production at any given time.

Your lack of understanding regarding the process of making a movie is fairly obvious. Look at it this way: professional script writers don't work for free. In order for Eon to have this mythical safe full of plots and scripts you envision, they'd have to spend hundreds of thousands of $$$ on material they may or may not ever use. This is an unnecessary expense that isn't going to be incurred by Eon or any other professional filmmaker.

But you were stating it as fact, not your opinion, @Getafix ... which apparently you did not spot. That's the point.

What's worth noting is the production process surrounding a film, particularly a tent-pole like Bond. The screenplay doesn't get written and then made verbatim. There are so many external factors at play that a very decent screenplay could end up being pulled apart to the point that it fails to work any longer, or at best doesn't quite sing as it once did. I would imagine SP is such an amalgam of thoughts and ideas that pinpointing who is responsible for what will be reasonably tricky and even when it's clear cut the likelihood it has transferred from script to screen as the writer intended is still slim. The whole process is collaborative, which is a blessing and a curse.

Let's not be too quick to dish out criticism on writers, if a director wants to push and pull their work in a different direction there's little they can do. My thoughts are that P&W have likely done just as much good work as anyone else during their tenure.

@4EverBonded, nothing against you, but isn't if obvious if I post something on here it's my opinion. Do we really need to spell it out every single time for touchy pedants who trawl these pages looking to find offence?
    Gareth Evans. Let him direct to. I think it should be a smaller Bond film, so perhaps the first one when Craig.
    That's actually what I thought too, @thelivingroyale. I think Garath Evans would make a very interesting Bond movie, though he'd have to dial down the violence a notch. Maybe Steven Soderbergh could turn his hand to a Bond script too? We know he's a huge fan of OHMSS, so the guy has taste.
  • Getafix wrote: »

@4EverBonded, nothing against you, but isn't if obvious if I post something on here it's my opinion. Do we really need to spell it out every single time for touchy pedants who trawl these pages looking to find offence?

@Getafix: if you state that something IS A FACT when it is actually just your opinion., then it's not a question of others being touchy. It's a question of you evidently trying out for a position with Fox News (or Faux News as I usually spell it.)

@Getafix: if you state that something IS A FACT when it is actually just your opinion., then it's not a question of others being touchy. It's a question of you evidently trying out for a position with Fox News (or Faux News as I usually spell it.)

Yawn. You are the one conveying huge import to my posts, not me. As far as I'm concerned this is a Bond fan site (not a national news network) and nothing anyone says on here should be taken too seriously or is meant to cause offence. However, you appear to be intent on generating some nasty pointless little conflict - which does sound like something Fox News might do.

Let me spell it out for you - everything I post is my opinion. I don't expect or require anyone to agree with me. Now please get over it, or are you going to pedantically pursue everyone who posts on here without putting "IMO" after every comment. You may have noticed I always normally avoid responding to your comments as I have found encounters with you on the past rather unpleasant. However, since you've come looking for me, I am responding. I'm happy to go back to avoiding each other though as in my experience you only ever coming along looking to pick some petty little fight.

Btw, read this. Apparently Richard Smith was appointed in 1993 to plot future Bond movies. So whose "lack of understanding of the process of making movies is fairly obvious" now?

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2015 Posts: 15,686
    bondsum wrote: »
    Gareth Evans. Let him direct to. I think it should be a smaller Bond film, so perhaps the first one when Craig.
    That's actually what I thought too, @thelivingroyale. I think Garath Evans would make a very interesting Bond movie, though he'd have to dial down the violence a notch. Maybe Steven Soderbergh could turn his hand to a Bond script too? We know he's a huge fan of OHMSS, so the guy has taste.

The acting in a Soderbergh directed Bond film would be phenomenal. I mean, the guy managed to extract an Oscar winning performance from Julia Roberts.

Edit: Oops, this is the screenwriters thread. Let him write and direct the film, IMO!
    I love that idea.
    We need fresh blood. So depressed that P+W are back
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I rather have Shonda Rhimes writing the next Bond film than P & W.
    Or busta rhymes even
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    We need fresh blood. So depressed that P+W are back
    So am I to a degree. Primarily because these two haven't got a clue how to do formula and I'm longing for an injection of some of that classic DNA, but done in a non-cliched way.
    We need a JJ Abrams type figure to provide some creative energy. I really feel they had something great going with the Craig Era and then blew it
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited April 2017 Posts: 16,328
    Abrams' usual team of writers would be on par with or if not worse than Purvis and Wade.
    May be your right.

Who are the decent writers out there though? There must be some!

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Jonathan Nolan. *runs for cover*
    I'd give him a try. Gotta be better than Pointless and Wasted
    Christopher McQuarrie. Have him write and Direct Bond 25. he did Mission Impossible Rogue Nation and the upcoming MI: 6
    Yep. Would also give him a crack of the whip
    And it would bring upon the return of good Bond music.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Any medicine student can come up with something that makes more sense than Skyfall.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Jonathan Nolan. *runs for cover*

Why not, he already copy pasted his script of TDK for Skyfall.