Has James Bond killed Austin Powers?

edited August 2015 in Bond Movies Posts: 14,799
I have been wondering about it. Not so long ago, people were saying that Blofeld would never work anymore because Mike Myers spoofed the concept to death. Actually, back when Austin Powers was hailed as a great Bond parody, it was said by various people that he had made such a mockery of the genre that he had killed James Bond. Now Mike Myers is pretty much a has been, Austin Powers is a thing of the past and Blofeld is most likely back. So has James Bond killed his most famous parody?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2015 Posts: 17,728
    I certainly hope so on the basis of "What goes around comes around".
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Mike Myers being difficult to work with and being a general a-hole is what killed off Austin Powers.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Goldmember being a terrible movie is what killed off Austin Powers too.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

The AP films haven't aged very well full stop. When I rewatched the first again a few months back I was disappointed. The funniest aspect of AP is watching the actual Bond movies and noticing the stuff AP rips off

("you owe me ONE MILLION BUCKS" - Goldfinger)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2015 Posts: 15,686
    Imagine a new Austin Powers film had been made this year. 'M:I:5', 'Man from Uncle' and SP would have wiped the floor with it. 'Kinsgman' would have blown it out of the earth's orbit too.
    Imagine a new Austin Powers film had been made this year. 'M:I:5', 'Man from Uncle' and SP would have wiped the floor with it.

I'd like (not) to see Mike Myers send up the torture scene in CR. Frequently hits to the groin seem to be fairly common in his films.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople

Well yeah, that too.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My thoughts exactly.

Kerim wrote: »
    Mike Myers being difficult to work with and being a general a-hole is what killed off Austin Powers.

That certainly contributed to it. But Shrek always did fine in spite of this.

That too. The second one was really lame as well.

But in any case, I find it quite interesting that not so long we were debating the impact AP had over James Bond regarding Blofeld in particular and now we can be fairly sure he will be back... while AP is history, in itself a relic of the 90s.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 2,015
    There may be a third OSS117 Bond "spoof" movie in the future...

In the first one, of course they borrowed a lot from Connery, but Dujardin himself said some of his attitudes in the second one come from Craig (in particular when he runs and protects himself with his hand)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I thought the first one was a really good affectionate parody of not just the 60's Bonds, but 60's films in general. I didn't think the second film was as good.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Let s hope so. Utterly stupid, not funny movies.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd say that Austin Powers killed Austin Powers, and with Mike Myers' age (and lack of appearance in films as of late), I don't ever see there being another one.
    Goldmember and making Dr. Evil Austin's brother killed Austin Powers.

The Love Guru however killed Mike Myers' career. :))
    The success (or lack thereof) of The Love Guru played a part, but I thought I had heard rumblings of a fourth AP this past year?
    Austin Powers 4 has been just a rumor for a long time.
    JET007 wrote: »
    The success (or lack thereof) of The Love Guru played a part, but I thought I had heard rumblings of a fourth AP this past year?

It has been going on for a while. I think the only one still believing in it is Myers himself.
    Given the way that 'Goldmember' ended, it's apparent that they were hoping to do a fourth one.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2015 Posts: 15,686
    I heard they were planning a 5th 'Shrek' film, and I think Myers does the voice of Shrek in english, so he could take this opportunity to make a 4th Powers film.
    Checking a story on movieweb, no one has heard of any movement since 2011, even though Dr. Evil appeared on a SNL skit back in December.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Goldmember and making Dr. Evil Austin's brother killed Austin Powers.

The Love Guru however killed Mike Myers' career. :))

I'd like to think this clip killed his career :P

His best role.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2015 Posts: 17,728
    He is a late Austin Powers. He has ceased to be. He has gone to join the Choir Invisible.

RIP.
    I think it's amazing that a series entirely based on parody can keep going for three films and actually grab some money doing it. Heavily marketed though. Take The Spy Who Shagged Me. TWO big hits, Beautiful Stranger and American Woman. And for Goldmember he had Britney and Beyonce.
    @DarthDimi, along with Steven Spielberg, Tom Cruise, Kevin Spacey, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Danny Devito. Those are some pretty big names for just a cameo in such a random movie.
    Yeah. Even Rebecca - Mystique - Romijn! Myers must have had some favours he could call in. ;-) It's a good thing Bieber wasn't around yet or we would have had her too.
    Boom! @DarthDimi once again mentions the unmentionable person. What shall we do about you this time? ;)
    @DaltonCraig007, as a scientist I can't help it. Even lower life forms must be studied at one point. ;-)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I don't believe James Bond had anything to do with Austin Powers not getting a fourth movie.

After the insanely successful second AP it was logical there would be a third one.

Goldmember wasn't more successful than The Spy Who Shagged Me but took in more than enough to make it a big success.
    I think Myers himself didn't want to make a fourth one, if I remember correctly after the second one he had already enough but was more or less forced to do another one.
    And even if those were only rumours I believe stopping after the third one was the correct thing to do, after all it was a parody and only so much original material can be done in a parody without repeating the same jokes over and over again.

By the way the first Austin Powers still is one of my absolute favourite comedies of all time right beside Fierce Creatures, Death At A Funeral or Father Of The Bride.

I was madly in love with Elizabeth Hurley !!! Imagine my excitement when she did the one hour Goldeneye special!!
    Why she never was a Bond girl will forever be one of the great mysteries of mankind....lol...