SPECTRE: So who's going to play Ernst?

Comments

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Ludovico wrote: »
    There are other reasons why Andrew Scott character may be play down: he might be a traitor and they want it to come as a surprise, or he might be a Snape type of character, seemingly a traitor but ends up a good guy. Why he would be Blofeld when he is nothing like Blofeld? To bring a twist for the sake of it? And can anyone imagine audiences being wowed by such twist?

Oh and it's Denbigh.

Moneypenny is black, Q is a young guy... Stop living in the past Bald men with Cats, those days are gone now if Skyfall taught us anything it is casting is open to all creeds, looks and ages.
    That's pretty thin in comparison with the evidence leading to Waltz. And if you think people will be enthusiastic about such twist... Let's just say I hope you're wrong about Scott.

Your argument about Waltz not committing is one from ignorance. You can't think he will. I think he might. But then if he isn't Blofeld can be recast.
    Oh and it's Bleuville, not Bleuchamp.

Anyway, Denbigh is the Old-English form of 'small fortress' or 'small fortified field'. It's not far off from Bleuchamp or Bleuville.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

You point across your arguments with such bitterness Ludovico on every post. If nobody agrees then "Its going to be crap and nobody will like it" I don't think you speak for the majority of Bond fans. "Waltz not committing is one from ignorance" what part is "ignorance" that through Waltz's movie choices he has never done sequels. That he like fresh new projects and does not like repeating something he has already done. Common sense. Waltz played a villain in the Green Hornet, Inglourious Basterds
    and The Three Musketeers. Playing a very different villain is each film, it is how he makes a living, having himself typecast as Blofeld his appeal to casting directors goes way down. Plus he has already commited himself to the big blockbuster remake of Tarzan in 2016 and will unlikely be able to commit to another film.

Michael G Wilson said of the trailer "All is not what is seems" now they put Waltz in a nehru collar and given every impressions he is going to be Blofeld.

If I am wrong I will be the first person on here to apologise to you for not believing it is Waltz. But I think it is very Niave almost gullable of you to make assumptions based on the trailer, EON know better than to give the full game away on a trailer "All is not what is seems" .
    I'm going where the evidence goes and I'm trying to avoid as much as possible leading the evidence and going into wishful thinking. When Blofeld was rumored to return I said I was for it, providing it was done properly, but acknowledged there was little evidence to support such return.

I don't know what Logan or Wilson have in mind and for all I know everything we have seen about Oberhauser can be an avalanche of red herrings. But if Denbigh is Blofeld then the burden of proof resides in the people making the claim. And even IF he turns out as Blofeld, I think it is a bad idea that may backfire the way it did for Iron Man 3. For now the evidences lead to Waltz.

Oh and I love Monica Bellucci but making her a female Blofeld for the heck of it would also be a mistake.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2015 Posts: 15,686
    IMO the only way for Waltz not to be Blofeld is having an even bigger megastar as the real Blofeld. Scott is great in Sherlock, but he just does not cut it in the star power department.

Notwithstanding how improbable it would be, but these are the actors I can see who'd 'Wow!' audience as Blofeld instead of Waltz: Daniel Day Lewis, Bruno Ganz, Al Pacino, Michael Caine, Anthony Hopkins, Robert Downey Jr, Samuel L Jackson.*

* I realise some of these choice are totally unrealistic and ill-suited for Bond, but if EON are going to succeed in revealing another actor as Blofeld instead of Waltz, these are the world-wide megastars that would create an immense media buzz like nothing seen before. Even in Scott's wildest dreams he can't achieve the media frenzy that would happen if RDJ is revealed to be the mastermind behind it all.
  • RC7RC7
    Oh and it's Denbigh.

And 'Denbigh' is Old-English for 'small fortress' or 'small fortified field'. And the French translation for that is 'Bleuchamp' :-).

I would love these kind of surprises. Moreover, like I said before, I can't see Christoph Waltz returning as Blofeld for a multi-picture deal. If they bring back Blofeld, they want to do it right, perhaps even different as opposed to the three different 'versions' of Blofeld in the novel.

And to do it that way, you need to start with a clean sheet. Similar to how Daniel Craig was casted as 007 in 2005. So a young, relatively unknown actor would be preferable. Andrew Scott is the perfect man for that job.

And the nicest thing of it all, is that the Bond producers don't have to feel this difficult pressure of constantly topping A-listed actors like Bardem and Waltz.

But Craig's Bond trajectory is deeply personal and specifically tailored to his portrayal. It seems like SP is going to coalesce the various strands of the era and form a block of four films that are uniquely intertwined like no others in the canon. This doesn't look like, 'Bond on a mission' as others proclaim. I think the producers have hoodwinked people with the inclusion of Q's lab, M's office, villain's lair etc. I don't get the rationale of hiring a Blofeld for multiple films when it's highly unlikely DC will do more than two beyond SP. I struggle to see how you recast Bond within this timeline now it has become so much about Bond the man and not the mission.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Anyway, Denbigh is the Old-English form of 'small fortress' or 'small fortified field'. It's not far off from Bleuchamp or Bleuville.

Bleu means blue, not small.
    And champ meaning field maybe agent Field is not dead and truly is Blofeld. I'm joking of course but Denbigh having the word fortress in it is pretty thin as evidence. They also cast a few bald men as villains.
    And champ meaning field maybe agent Field is not dead and truly is Blofeld. I'm joking of course but Denbigh having the word fortress in it is pretty thin as evidence. They also cast a few bald men as villains.

Let's see.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited July 2015 Posts: 11,139
    As long as Blofeld actually turns up and is revealed in SP I don't care who he turns out to be.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    As long as Blofeld actually turns up and is revealed in SP I don't care who he turns out to be.

I do. I don't want a Blofeld who only has his name and nothing of the character.

Let's see.

Of course. But I still fail to see the gain of such casting decision.
  • RC7RC7
    I don't want a Blofeld who only has his name and nothing of the character.

I agree. If you're going to have a head of SPECTRE that is completely rewritten and revisualised, you might as well have him as head of Quantum and make the continuity pretty much seamless.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 14,800
    Something that came to my mind recently: the apparent markers on Waltz's face when filming in London. Even if the whole thing in the trailer is an avalanche of red herrings (which is not impossible, but unlikely), this was no PR stunt orchestrated by the studios, it was something taken by the medias spontaneously. This seriously seems to corroborate the thesis that he is Blofeld. Again, that does not mean he is. But so far this is where the evidences lead.

And, for the record, I have always been against bringing back the scar, the bald head and the cat for Blofeld. I don't think they are necessary at all.
    There are other reasons why Andrew Scott character may be play down: he might be a traitor and they want it to come as a surprise, or he might be a Snape type of character, seemingly a traitor but ends up a good guy. Why he would be Blofeld when he is nothing like Blofeld? To bring a twist for the sake of it? And can anyone imagine audiences being wowed by such twist?

Oh and it's Denbigh.

Moneypenny is black, Q is a young guy... Stop living in the past Bald men with Cats, those days are gone now if Skyfall taught us anything it is casting is open to all creeds, looks and ages.

I actually just saw this message addressed to me. Moneypenny is now a black Moneypenny, if anything she is a Black Lois Maxwell (especially at the end of SF). Q as we knew him in the movies was defined by Llewellyn, not Ian Fleming, who invented a Boothroyd much different. Blofeld is a character that was defined by Fleming before being mutated into what he became in the movies. I for one, thinks original characters and the source material matter. Blofeld is not just a name, he is a character with a certain history, personality, demeanor, etc. This is what I want them to channel and adapt in the movie. I may be wrong, they might not go for it, but I consider that going back to the source material (who did not have a scar, a bald head and a cat, thank you very much, see my comment above) is the way to go. Blofeld is NOT dr Evil, even less Minime.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I have read so much lately on who will be Blofeld in Spectre. The moment I realised that Andrew Scott is in that movie I figured he will be the main villain and not Waltz.
    There are several possibilities:
    Waltz is Blofeld
    Scott is Blofeld
    Fiennes is Blofeld
    Blofeld is not in Spectre at all.

How Oberhauser could be Blofeld is a mystery to me, but maybe the writer's did think of a solution.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @BondJasonBond006, all of those could be plausible but the third one. Do some really believe that Fiennes is Blofeld?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Or Oberhauser could just be like John Harrison from Star Trek. A fake name for someone sinister.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @BondJasonBond006, all of those could be plausible but the third one. Do some really believe that Fiennes is Blofeld?

It seems that some people even think that option possible from what I've read on various Bond forums.

The problem I have with the current films is all bets are off and I find that unsettling.
    After their casting decisions of Q and Moneypenny why not cast Scott as Blofeld?
    Or Blofeld is somehow related to Bond etc.
    I wish they would not do stuff like killing M.
    Now we don't know what to expect, even Moneypenny could die! Unsettling.
    And it's not because I am stuck in the past. But for 22 movies (up to QOS) one knew what to expect and that has gone.

Scott's too young and looks nothing like the Novel version of Blofeld. Waltz looks at least like Blofeld how he appeared in OHMSS which this film is clearly paying homage too.
    Like I've said: because you don't hire someone as critically-renown as Waltz, just to let a lesser-known like Scott play one of the biggest cinematic villains of all time.

There's nothing wrong with shaking up the formula, but I don't see anything other than Waltz being Blofeld happening. If it doesn't, then consider me surprised.
    And if Blofeld/Oberhauser is the person's whose face is burnt out of this photograph, then it's clearly Waltz as Denbigh would either be an infant or not even born yet when this photo was taken.
    CBJ89EVUkAA81dY.jpg
  • RC7RC7
    When all is said and done, once this hypothetical 'twist' happens, that's it. Scott is now Blofeld. Is that what people want? Seems short-sighted to me. Sod the obvious twist, give me a revelatory moment that confirms Oberhauser is Blofeld so for B25 I can be pumped that Christoph Waltz will return as the fully-formed, real deal.
    RC7 wrote: »
    When all is said and done, once this hypothetical 'twist' happens, that's it. Scott is now Blofeld. Is that what people want? Seems short-sighted to me. Sod the obvious twist, give me a revelatory moment that confirms Oberhauser is Blofeld so for B25 I can be pumped that Christoph Waltz will return as the fully-formed, real deal.

That's what I would love to see: don't expose it and wrap it all up in twenty or thirty minutes of the finale, keep it going. Tease me with it and leave me blown away with something to speculate on for B25. At this point, we might as well throw the possibility of Bond being Blofeld into the ring, too.
    I don't want Scott to be Blofeld. He's not menacing looking at all. He looks as menacing as Dominic Greene and he wasn't menacing at all. Waltz is who I want as Blofeld. He at least looks like the character Fleming imagined in the Books.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Or Oberhauser could just be like John Harrison from Star Trek. A fake name for someone sinister.

Not that I enjoyed the way they used Khan in the last Star Trek movie, but yes. And it is a relatively common trope these days: Batman Begins did the same.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »

That's what I would love to see: don't expose it and wrap it all up in twenty or thirty minutes of the finale, keep it going. Tease me with it and leave me blown away with something to speculate on for B25. At this point, we might as well throw the possibility of Bond being Blofeld into the ring, too.

Count me in too. Like I said: what's wrong with a Jekyll&Hyde or Dracula twist? Oh, and I knew the twist of Oedipus Rex before I even read the play. I still loved it to bits. Sometimes the revelation is expected by the audience. It still works. It is how it is brought up and how it works that matters, not the surprise.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I don't want Scott to be Blofeld. He's not menacing looking at all. He looks as menacing as Dominic Greene and he wasn't menacing at all. Waltz is who I want as Blofeld. He at least looks like the character Fleming imagined in the Books.

There is that too. For the record, I thought Greene was menacing in a creepy way, mainly because Mathieu Amalric is an amazing actor. Scott is... adequate. But I was not blown away by his Moriarty. And I don't think he can believably menacing. Not towards Bond played by Craig. Not towards Mr White. Not towards Oberhauser/Waltz. And yes, you read OHMSS, you see Waltz, except taller.
    Greene was menacing in his scenes with Camille but when standing next to Bond he's like a little bug for Bond to squash. I feel the same way about Denbigh. Waltz as seen in Inglorious Bastards has both a calm menace and a physical menace. An ideal foe for Craig's Bond.
    What makes you all think that Blofeld will make his appearance in this film?
    The appearance of SPECTRE obviously. :))
    But what if Blofeld is revealed in the next one?