Is Pierce Brosnan really all that bad ??

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I like Brosnan as Bond and find him entertaining but he always seemed to be more of an exaggerated idea of who the character is. Aesthetically Brosnan had major appeal and unfortunately that some how convinced people that's all that was needed and to some extent that was true because irrespective of how terrible the films themselves were, they still made a tonne of money and Brosnan's good looks were always a highlight. As an actor and an actor portraying a character of a long running series, if one's looks are the highlight of the movie that's pretty depressing.
    I was at a wedding yesterday and I wore my midnight blue dinner suit and the subject of Bond came up and I was asked if I had seen the new SPECTRE trailer. I just smiled. I was told how Bond-like I look (which I did by the way) and was happy to hear how excited these casual/non-Bond fans were in seeing the new film. The discussion quickly turned to the actors Connery, Moore, Brosnan and Craig and that how the Bond series was an old fashioned franchise before Brosnan came along but nothing was done with his era. Brosnan's movies and I quote "hollow 90's action fluff". However, the Craig movies have more substance to them and feel like "elevated quality movies" with Craig like Connery and Moore establishing himself as a "legitimate" icon.

The whole discussion was interesting to me because I wasn't expecting those opinions let alone having the conversation but it's abundantly clear that, it really depends on who you ask or talk to on the matter.
    I like Brosnan, as I said I find him entertaining in a fun kind of way and I personally do feel he was overshadowed and let down by peripheral matters that pushed for all round mediocre efforts, that yielded financial success but that clearly wasn't enough. I also think that Brosnan coveted the role so much that he put an insane amount of pressure on himself to really enjoy the role in the way that he had hoped but oh well. If you look back to when Fleming was alive that's when the movies were and aimed for a higher standard and we're seeing a return of such quality standard of film making with the Craig era and going forward I hope. I dont know, maybe the Brosnan era was a test phase and feeling period and unfortunately for Brosnan he was the Bond candidate for that era but regardless, I think as Bond fans we can all find some satisfaction or enjoyment in what Brosnan contributed to the series.

• RC7RC7
    I have to agree with RC7. Connery is the odd one out, as very few people really dislike him as Bond. All the others divide opinion.

That's true actually. Don't think I've ever come across anyone who dislikes Connery.
    I was reading in one of my scriptwriting books that there a broadly two types of Hollywood star. There are those who play themselves or something close too it and put themselves into different situations (John Wayne is a good example) and there are those who are great actors and bring their talent into different roles (Dustin Hoffman for example) I think its clear the PB falls into the first catagory but the down side is that there is a lack of range/depth to the character. I cant imagine PB dealing with a death scene.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @patb, he has before. His miniseries 'Bag of Bones' comes to mind.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I have to agree with RC7. Connery is the odd one out, as very few people really dislike him as Bond. All the others divide opinion.

That's true actually. Don't think I've ever come across anyone who dislikes Connery.

What if he wasn't the first Bond?
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Barry Nelson was;)
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 158
    The Bond phenomena was in the 60's and cemented Connery in the role. He was the standard bearer for all that followed. What would have been interesting is if Moore had started at the beginning and Connery followed him. I think views would have been different. First out the gate and all that.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    No Pierce is fine. But the scripts for his films were crap compared to all the other films. He is also neither as hard as Sean or as smooth as Roger nor as good an actor as Dalton or Craig. None of his films are good as Lazenbys one appearance. Thus, for me he is the worst bond.
    Pierce is the actor who needed perhaps the most careful direction to get a decent performance and he never got that. He's a weak actor but with the right script and direction is capable of turning in a decent performance.
    He can be carried by a script but cannot carry one. That said, he was the Bond actor who got it easiest when cast.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Pierce can carry a good film just fine, but can make a terrible film watchable.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 266
    RC7 wrote: »
    Many people I know or have met and spoken to about Bond absolutely love Brosnan. Only yesterday I was at a BBQ chatting to a friend of a friend (who ironically is Barbara Brocolli's entertainment lawyer) and he and his girlfriend were saying how much they miss him as Bond. I find this a lot. Outside of fan circles, where people don't dissect the minutiae of his movies, there's a hell of a lot of love for Brozzer. It's a myth that he was a failure and an even bigger myth that it is the general consensus.

I agree, many people I know really like Brosnan and during his tenure a lot of the public/critics and press were generally saying he was the best since Connery.

Goldeneye was a massive success critically and at the box office, his other 3 had mixed reviews but none were slated and Brosnan was always praised and they made a lot of money.

In recent years and in retrospect I think some have changed their opinion on Pierce but I like him and appreciate he held some of those films together. I think he deserved better scripts, casts and directors after Goldeneye, I wish Martin Campbell had done at least one more with Pierce, either TND or TWINE.
    Connery and Craig are my favorites, followed by dalton and Brosnan. Moore and lazenby aren't on my radar at all. Moore was miscast, lazenby was just a nutcase

I take any poll that puts the current Bond in a highly ranked position with a pinch of salt - it's just the advantage of incumbency. If Craig is still ranked number 2 in thirty years time then it will mean something.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    To be fair, this poll in particular is reasonably ranked and very similar to the rankings I've seen here and by other ardent Bond fans. The lost doesn't mirror my own completely but where we are the same is the ranking of #1 and #2. Craig being ranked second is nothing to sneer at or dismiss. Some fans were already ranking him as no.1 after 1 movie.
    I'm not sneering. I just think time will tell.

MI6-HQ has an interesting poll. It ranks the Bonds based on the average scores of each of their films from fans on here. Laz comes top as OHMSS is ranked so highly by most fans. Connery comes second because YOLT and DAF drag his average down. Brosnan comes last.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2015 Posts: 23,883
    It's been a while since I've commented on this thread. From my point of view, in answer to the OP's question, simply put, yes. Brosnan was pretty bad......as Bond....imho.

I have no problem with him in other films and really look forward to anything he does, but as Bond he did not sit well with me. Keep in mind this is my view irrespective of the rubbish directors he endured and the terrible casting during part of his tenure. I am referring only to him.

I love GE, but not really because of him. More because of everything else, which is so much fun for me. I rarely watch his other Bond films any more. His interpretation of Bond was not my cup of tea in all honesty. A little too sensitive and sometimes emotional for my liking. I never saw him as all that credible in the action dept. either.
    What he said ^:)^
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    He was a different Bond, for a different era... like Craig is now.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,425
    chrisisall wrote: »
    He was a different Bond, for a different era... like Craig is now.

That's a bit of a cop out answer IMO. They are all Bonds for different eras. Sean was perfect for the 60s but might not have handled the 70s and 80s as well as Rog. That doesn't make them all equally good.
    Getafix wrote: »
    They are all Bonds for different eras. That doesn't make them all equally good.
    No. Brosnan's Bond was better than most, or at least half.
    :))
    I guess Brosnan Bashing season is back on in full force...How dissappointing. :-w
    The Daniel Craig is not bond people are still active, too. Consummate bullshit artists
    Murdock wrote: »
    I guess Brosnan Bashing season is back on in full force...How disappointing. :-w
    But it in no way takes away from our appreciation for his excellence!!
    I guess Brosnan Bashing season is back on in full force...How disappointing. :-w

No, it just annoys me. :P
    The good taste & across the board love we share for all Bond actors is not a universal export, it seems... :))
    The good taste & across the board love we share for all Bond actors is not a universal export, it seems... :))
    It could be a problem. Know a problem eliminator? =))
    It could be a problem. Know a problem eliminator? =))

=D>
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Brosnan was the Bond the public wanted, but not the one it deserved.