Comments

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    [
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @MaidenDeth, both of those threw me off, as well. Looks like we won't be spared the dodgy CGI this time around, either, unfortunately.

Agreed. The two obvious CGI shots. Didn't think any of the plane sequence would be, following the rigs they built.

As for the helicopter, that was done for real I think? Perhaps with a little background effects work.
    Huh? I didn´t see no obvious CGI shots in the Trailer. What exactly do you mean?

The hotel room explosion in Mexico and the plane as it crashes through the trees in Austria.

I believe the plane crashing through the trees in Austria was achieved with a full size plain traveling on a overhead cable rail system and filmed on location by the second unit. It's not digital. Only the cables were removed in post.

Yeah it was, but there's a shot in the trailer that looks CG to me.

I believe this is achieved practically (using the crane rig)

QbRJFVB.png

Where this angle looks like CGI to me.

8nMRROi.png

Is it slightly...bothering you? Just curious....

No, it just stuck out to me as I was aware they were trying to achieve this sequence practically, even firing the plane through the barn for real. That's why I was surprised to see this shot.
    It doesn't strike me as CGI.

It may not be, it just looks it to me.
    I get that the Mexico City explosion is CGI, but I haven't seen a single shot in the Alps sequence that strikes me as digital.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    And if she had it struck off, I would
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    w2bond wrote: »
    I'm very excited for Hinx also. Zero real henchman/women in the Craig era so far which is disappointing. They could've thought of a more memorable name though

IMO The Craig has had some of the best written and actor female characters. Hasn't really been a focus on henchmen though. Elvis I think was just meant to be a weird factor.. C'mon even Green had to correct Elvis's gun pose.

@mcdonbb
    Yes I agree, even those who don't like the Craig era have to agree that the cast of females is the best ever. And that they're really delivering on the "Bond equal" statement. Severine was underused but I could believe her backstory in the little time she was on screen.

What I mean in my statement is "zero real henchmen/henchwomen."
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Regarding Tiago Rodriguez's name If
    (a) M didn't have time to remove it, then why isn't it on the wall?
    (b) did have time, I would have thought they would have scraped off the name or removed the lettering rather than create a whole new plaque minus his name.
    I get that the Mexico City explosion is CGI, but I haven't seen a single shot in the Alps sequence that strikes me as digital.

I agree - the explosion looks fake, the plane shots look real.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 2,015
    One of the reasons I defend good dubbing is that I think one really has to be bilingual to judge properly if a delivery is spot on or not, etc, etc. (But well, obviously, sometimes, I guess you don't need to be bilingual to judge a delivery is great, like for Ant-Man's Michael Peña, who, for me, stole the show).

So how is the French dubbing of this SPECTRE trailer ? Well, we have for sure Monica as Monica, and Lea as Lea, but alas, I'm afraid like many blockbusters the rest of the dubbing suffers from the "no more dubbing with voices who carry a strong characterization on their own" choice that seems to plague many blockbusters since 20 years.

I mean, if Monica did not speak French, I'm sure they would have used someone without a strong Italian accent, possibly for fear of being labeled "caricatural". Here, Monica will have a strong Italian accent in the French version, and well Lea speak French as a French :) Waltz's dubbed voice on the other hand, could be swapped with Fiennes's dubbed voice and it would not change much IMO...

Connery and, even more, Moore had incredible French voices with very strong characterization on their own, which may hurt English ears, but which were a big part of their popularity here. I mean, still nowadays, one of French's most popular impersonator, impersonated Moore's French voice ! While Dalton, Brosnan, and Craig have a bland French voice, like many other heroes in blockbusters. It seems only the actors who had a carreer in the 80s still have a "strong" French voice now (Willis, Schwarzie, Stallone, etc)

Oh and Lazenby ? Well, he was dubbed by the one who dubbed Sean Connery :)

Oh and Lazenby ? Well, he was dubbed by the one who dubbed Sean Connery :)

Same in Germany.

That's why OHMSS is not as bad received in Germany as it was in the UK or US.
    Actually OHMSS is the only Bond movie I only watch in german, because it's so much better. G.G. Hoffmann was a way better actor that Lazenby. And of course if you close your eyes you hear Connery. Because Hoffmann's voice IS Connery's voice in Germany.
    Could any one point me to a link to the TV SPOT 1 in PCM format? It doesn't like there is any from the official links. Thanx
  • RC7RC7
    shamelord wrote: »

Either way, the Austria chase scene looks like it has the potential to be a stand out moment in the series.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 4,599
    That model of helicopter has been performing that manoeuvre for decades at airshows around the World. It has a rotor head that allows it to do this:
    "Perhaps the most significant feature of the Bo 105 is its rotor blades and rotor head. The rotor system is entirely hingeless, the rotor head consisting of a solid titanium block to which the four blades are bolted;[13] the flexibility of the rotor blades works to absorb movements typically necessitating hinges in most helicopter rotor designs.[10] The rotor blades are made from reinforced-plastic glass-fiber composite material; its flexibility of the main rotor allowed for active elements other than rotor pitch changes to be removed, greatly simplifying maintenance and extending blade lifespan.[14] The reliability of the advanced rotor system is that, in over six million operating hours across the fleet, there had been a total of zero failures.[15] The rigid rotor blade design adopted on the Bo 105 has been partially attributed as responsible for the type's agility and responsiveness, it remained an uncommon feature on competing helicopters throughout the Bo 105's production life.[11]"
    Its clever stuff from the production team to include something that has real impact and "wow factor" but is something actually pretty straight forward. Something that was really lacking within the QoS aerial scenes IMHO

LOL :P

But this guy is from James Bond Radio. And this Aussie is usually very low-key and nuanced. This time...NOT:

"this is the one!"
    Stamper wrote: »
    Could any one point me to a link to the TV SPOT 1 in PCM format? It doesn't like there is any from the official links. Thanx
    The TV spot isn't available in that format unfortunately :(
    shamelord wrote: »

Either way, the Austria chase scene looks like it has the potential to be a stand out moment in the series.
    Associate producer Gregg Wilson called the Austria setpiece the "crown juvel", in one of the production diaries.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    [
    @MaidenDeth, both of those threw me off, as well. Looks like we won't be spared the dodgy CGI this time around, either, unfortunately.

Agreed. The two obvious CGI shots. Didn't think any of the plane sequence would be, following the rigs they built.

As for the helicopter, that was done for real I think? Perhaps with a little background effects work.
    Huh? I didn´t see no obvious CGI shots in the Trailer. What exactly do you mean?

The hotel room explosion in Mexico and the plane as it crashes through the trees in Austria.

I believe the plane crashing through the trees in Austria was achieved with a full size plain traveling on a overhead cable rail system and filmed on location by the second unit. It's not digital. Only the cables were removed in post.

QbRJFVB.png

8nMRROi.png

That second angle has digital snow blowback from the computer generated rotors, I assume. The actual plane is real. Stuff like that is usually unfinished by the time it goes into the trailer so I wouldn't be bothered by it too much. I imagine it'll be more detailed by the time the film comes out.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    When exactly was this trailer put together? About a month ago right?
    (b) did have time, I would have thought they would have scraped off the name or removed the lettering rather than create a whole new plaque minus his name.

Great point. Seems like a potential plot hole...
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 3,164
    doubleoego wrote: »
    When exactly was this trailer put together? About a month ago right?

They finished putting it together at the end of last month.

I finally had a listen to my Super HD version on my home cinema system - it sounds fantastic. One thing I have to give to the Bond team - they took real care with making sure the music sounds great in surround sound. Many trailers in the surround sound versions just copy the stereo music to the rear channels, but here they seem to have recorded and mixed the score in the same way the final film score would be mixed, which gives a very textured and, dare I say, 'live' feeling when you listen to it in the theatre.
    End of last month? That's more than enough time to sort everything out in post especially as filming hadn't even been completed then.
  • FoxRox wrote: »

Does it really matter that much?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Mathis' death is the biggest mistake of the Craig era so far.

100% agree with that. This is the number 1 thing about QoS that I have a problem with.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »

People are looking into it way too much. Besides, M wouldn't have been the one to physically do it. I'm sure she hired someone to take his name off the wall, which they did. No plot hole, no bigger meaning, just that. No need to look into it that much.

People are looking into it way too much. Besides, M wouldn't have been the one to physically do it. I'm sure she hired someone to take his name off the wall, which they did. No plot hole, no bigger meaning, just that. No need to look into it that much.

When would she have had a chance to get someone to do it, though?

Tanner was there when she said it. He could have had someone do it while she and Bond went off grid...or at any other time between the time she said it and the events of SP.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 20
    Regarding the grade, it's worth noting Skyfall's grade varied, all be it incredibly subtly, from the trailer to the final piece. Though this was more a case of, if memory serves me right, Deakins stating on his forum the DI team who graded the trailer was different to the team who graded the final piece, and that he wasn't present for the trailer's grade, hence why it was slightly different.

There is a decent possibility the same rules may apply for Spectre. I emphasise may, since one was shot digitally, the other film. Skyfall for example, the final look was already embedded prior to shooting. How? Well these days, the DoP will usually create a LUT (Look Up Table - A digital file which holds a particular look) prior to shooting, whilst capturing test footage etc. This LUT can then be loaded onto the on-set monitors and the look the DoP intends to achieve in post, can be there visible whilst shooting for all to see, before any post-production process has even been undertaken. Of course a different look can be created in post to the one initially intended, but the point remains that the finished look at least with digital nowadays, can be visible there on set.

I've yet to shoot on film, and I'm assuming the process is slightly different, but my overall point is, and it's quite an obvious one, Hoyte Van Hoytema, like every DoP, wouldn't have shot Spectre one way on set, and then left the finished look open for incredible change in post. Of course it's possible the Mexico City scenes may be gradely differently for the finished version, but Hoyte would shot with that particular look in-mind, and the monitor Mendes was viewing on-set, may aswell have displayed that particular look too. At least I know this would have been the case with Skyfall. So any massive alterations to Spectre's grade, are highly unlikely.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Tuulia wrote: »

When would she have had a chance to get someone to do it, though?

Something like that surely wouldn't require a large board meeting to figure out. I figure it could've been handled by anyone else, and if not, everyone knows it needs to be done. Could've happened after the finale.
  • Red_Snow wrote: »

And I also noticed that DC has what appears to be little grains of sand or something on his face in this shot.

19921984571_0cce750f8d_h.jpg

I could probably explain that but not without spoilers so I won't
  • Here's an epic trailer breakdown blog post with screenshots for anyone interested. Shout out to Linda Zhu for going deep on this one...

http://jamesbondradio.com/spectre-trailer-breakdown/
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 5,767
    [

QbRJFVB.png

8nMRROi.png

None of that plane looks like CGI to me. What did look very much like bad CGI to me was the flying car in the CR Miami scene. And then I found out they did that practically...

Lol you all need to go to the opticians.