Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I know I'm in the minority on this, but there is one Barry score that I find absolutely cringeworthy: THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS.

I don't particularity find it cringeworthy, but I do think it's Barry's weakest Bond score. It's got some good bits here and there but not his best.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The score for FYEO makes it almost unwatchable for me. I really have to ignore it. A Barry score would have really helped make this a classic.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I know I'm in the minority on this, but there is one Barry score that I find absolutely cringeworthy: THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS.
    It's my go-to score. I love it like I love the GF score.
    @chrisisall and @Creasy47 last night I watched DAD too because I was in a OTT and fun mood and you're right when you are in the right mood it is a lot of fun because it is so ridiculous. It is still my least favourite in terms of quality and unless something drastic happens it will probably always be bottom of the pile but I do find myself re-watching it quite a bit.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

I don't particularly care for the score either. However the compilation score with The Pretenders during the safe house and cargo plane fight is one of my favourite scores in the series, but the A-ha version I find meh.

• edited July 2015 Posts: 11,189

I don't particularly care for the score either. However the compilation score with The Pretenders during the safe house and cargo plane fight is one of my favourite scores in the series, but the A-ha version I find meh.

It's a nice score but not one of my favourites, aside from perhaps the Necros stuff.

It's not a score I regularly go back to listen to on it's own. I actually prefer the score for AVTAK.

I agree on the A-Ha theme too - very bland to me. "Where has Everybody Gone" is much better.

While we're on that subject, my top 5 Barry scores:

1. Moonraker
    2. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    3. You Only Live Twice
    4. Goldfinger
    5. From Russia With Love

(Honourable mention to AVTAK)
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Die Another Day

Man, I was totally in the right mood for an OTT piece of nonsense last night, and this hit the spot! "Now there's a mouthful." Hilarious.
    And Graves cracked me up every time he opened his mouth. It's a very funny movie if you're in the proper mood. :D

You know what? It's near the bottom of my list, but I agree.
    w2bond wrote: »
    Die Another Day

Man, I was totally in the right mood for an OTT piece of nonsense last night, and this hit the spot! "Now there's a mouthful." Hilarious.
    And Graves cracked me up every time he opened his mouth. It's a very funny movie if you're in the proper mood. :D

If Brosnan can have fun laughing at it then why can't we? :p
    The Living Daylights is one of my fav Bond scores. A bit repetitive yes, but it is fantastic. Like TB, it has the issue of having two themes in the score. All the better for me as all four melodies are great.

FYEO and GE would be so much better with a Barry score :(
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Die Another Day

You just have to put your back into it.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Die Another Day

Exactly, there's many silly moments I like. Walking into HK hotel, "hey boss he beat your time", "don't need a wheelchair." "you do now". Eating grape.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Yes, the music was awful.

Don't think I noticed it that much on original release, but now it just really lets down a very good film. Would be nice to have a blu-ray release with a David Arnold alternative score available - if only!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Sharky, it's not my least favorite Bond film, but I'd say it's probably in the bottom five or so.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    All this new love for GF and FYEO warms my concrete heart.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Just watched TB. Still like it a lot, although for a few years I loved it and placed it in my top 5 Bond films. Having watching GF for the first time in years last weekend, now that is reversed. Don't get me wrong, TB still holds a warm place in my heart (how can it not with a woman as beautiful as Claudine Auger in it!) but I now see that GF just has that magic something. TB almost has that magic something, but falls achingly close behind.
    A double feature of Octopussy and A View to A Kill. After the fantastic FYEO, Octopussy wasn't as good but would have made a perfect final Bond film for Roger's Bond. Him and Octopussy were a perfect couple. A View To A Kill was just average. I don't dislike it but It's just kinda dull.
    Murdock wrote: »
    A double feature of Octopussy and A View to A Kill. After the fantastic FYEO, Octopussy wasn't as good but would have made a perfect final Bond film for Roger's Bond. Him and Octopussy were a perfect couple. A View To A Kill was just average. I don't dislike it but It's just kinda dull.

I've always enjoyed OP a good deal. AVTAK however…I feel Christopher Walken's presence is fun, but not much else. I'm only at YOLT in my marathon, so I'm a couple months away from AVTAK. Maybe next time I'll see something in it that I missed all these years.
    I've wanted to do a proper Bondathon for a while now, but I've had my eye on OP this past week and I couldn't help myself, had to pop it in and watch it tonight and as usual, it never fails to impress me. I think it's a gem and is definitely one of my favorite entries in the series.
    @Creasy47, I'm surprised how easy it was to slip into one. It's been a great experience re-evaluating the Bond films in a proper unbiased fashion.

I've just finished THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS and I must say I wasn't feeling it this time. The film, while a decent thriller just doesn't have all the elements. The villains (aside from Necros) were just lame. Koskov is an annoying buffoon and Whitaker was just uninteresting. They didn't have any menace to them. Kara is too naive but redeems herself after she's realized Koskov duped her. Like the film before it, The Living Daylights is fine, but rather average. Well that's all I think. I'm off to rewatch my currently #2 favorite Bond film LICENCE TO KILL to see how it holds up.
    It dropped out for me when Bond was drugged.
    I think I'll stop with this film tonight. Don't want to overdo things and risk spoiling my viewing of Licence to Kill. :P
    I think I'll stop with this film tonight. Don't want to overdo things and risk spoiling my viewing of Licence to Kill. :P

And you know what comes after that! :D
    Creasy47 wrote: »

And you know what comes after that! :D

Oh yes I do. The tail end of my Bondathon will spoil me silly. :))
    I always find myself underwhelmed by The Living Daylights - I'm glad it's not just me. I think it's a solid enough Bond film, but I don't see it as one of the greats like many others do. I've always much preferred Licence to Kill personally.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    TLD does have a certain 'by the numbers' aspect to it, no doubt, but Dalton is magnificent as Bond in it imho. Villains and main girl were quite poor though to me, as was Afghanistan...

LTK is certainly much more edgy.
    I like TLD more than most people do, it seems. I enjoy how the plot follows a duplicitous Soviet general who fools the British into an assassination attempt on a scapegoat, only to be pulling the strings behind the scenes. My issues are mainly with Whitaker and what exactly his deal is. In fact, apart from playing the Brits for fools in the first half, I'm not exactly certain what Koskov and Whitaker are doing at all. And I've seen the movie 3-4 times!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Skyfall finally made its way onto US cable so I watched that
    Last weekend I watched Thunderball. It's in my top 10 list Bond-movies. Some think it's too slow in places, especially the underwater scenes. But I love that. It transports you to another world. I have seen Thunderball in the cinema in the early 80's, when I was just introduced to the world of 007. I had seen For Your Eyes Only and together with a reissue of From Russia With Love, Thunderball was one of the first Bondmovies I saw on the big screen. The cold war and atomic bombs was everyday news. The threat which played out in the movie felt real to me.
    It was also my introduction to Sean Connery and loved every minute of is portrayal as Bond.
    I love the exotic locations and the Bond-girls in this movie. The underwater scenes are a highlight of the series. There is Jaws, but I associate sharks always with Bond.
    I don't see how the Afghanistan bit is worse than most Bond endings.

GF, TB, YOLT, OHMSS, DAF, TSWLM, MR, TLD, TND essentially have the same final battle, just in different settings...

TLD for me while awkward and pedestrianly directed in parts has the best music, action scenes, enough espionage/thrill. The villains are underwhelming but that's about it.

LTK is good, but that score...cheapens the whole film.

One thing about the Glen films is despite their flaws they are quite unique adventures which are a lot of fun, and have some great stuntwork
    Because I found the climaxes of GF, TB, OHMSS, TSWLM and (most of) MR quite engaging and thrilling, by contrast.
    This.