The songs in Dr No

edited July 2015 in Music Posts: 14,800
This is about the many songs of DN: Underneath the Mango Tree, Jump Up, Three Blind Mice, etc. I think they are underrated here. They are part of the movie's charm and gives it local authenticity and atmosphere. And the lyrics are absolutely brilliant and serve the movie at an almost subliminal level.

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I actually just listened to Underneath the Mango Tree yesterday. I agree with you. The songs do make quite a difference. If we didn't have them it would probably seem a bit dull.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2015 Posts: 23,883
    To be honest, I'm not a fan of songs in films normally. Having said that, for some reason I find the songs in DN to be more memorable than the score, which was somewhat lacking, if only compared to what was to come in the future.

I agree though that the songs in that film suited the environment and just sort of felt authentic to the piece.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Can't get enough of ''Underneath the Mango Tree''. Love it.
    This is a great film. It is sparse, atmospheric, and completely unburdened by the fame and expectation of the films to follow. As much as I like Barry's work, the simplicity and
    sense of place of the music add to the charm of this film. Often overlooked and low on many lists, this is a Bond film worth revisiting.
    I used to sing Underneath the Mango Tree to my wife. She loved it.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I agree that all the songs featured are great - it makes Dr. No a unique film in the series in my view.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited July 2015 Posts: 7,314
    bondjames wrote: »
    I find the songs in DN to be more memorable than the score, which was somewhat lacking, if only compared to what was to come in the future.
    I agree. Some of those songs have been stuck in my head for days after a viewing of DN. The same cannot be said of the score which, as you said, isn't terrible but can't even come close to Barry's efforts.
    Edit - Not counting the Bond theme of course.
    Underneath the mango tree is also a deliciously ironic song about commitment, monogamy and a simple life of simple happiness. This is all very foreign to Bond.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Often Bond music is written to reflect the location (eg YOLT and the Cuba sequence in DAD), but is this the only song (with lyrics) inherent in the film which reflects the location and people?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I liked London calling in DAD, and who can forget Californian Girls from
    AVTAK, just about sums up Siberia .....for me at least. ;)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Haha good one drG. \:D/
    NicNac wrote: »
    Often Bond music is written to reflect the location (eg YOLT and the Cuba sequence in DAD), but is this the only song (with lyrics) inherent in the film which reflects the location and people?

I think so. The most genuine certainly.
  • Totally agree, I've loved these songs since I was a boy. Still listen to Jump Up full blast in the car and it gives me goose pimples
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited July 2015 Posts: 4,548
    Do we have a thread regarding borrowed/licensed music for Bond films?

There have been a few songs...

"London Calling" in DAD is one of the very best examples. "California Girls" by the Beach Boys can be found in AVTAK. "Boom Boom" by The Animals is used in SF. One of the scenes from Tosca, in QoS, contains borrowed music as well.
  • BrilliantANDbogusBrilliantANDbogus Location of Junkanoo
    Would not it not be perfect if Silva played "Where has Everybody Gone?" in the helicopter when attacking Bond at the end of Skyfall?

A direct taunt to Bond, now alone...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I am perhaps one of the few people to actually enjoy Patti LaBelle's ballad for the end credits of LTK. I guess I'm in for that kind of 80s pop/ballad music, no doubt due to certain nostalgic emotions. ;-)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    @DarthDimi

I liked it, too. It does have a certain late 80s pop charm to it. In fact, it's a good companion piece to the title song.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    TripAces wrote: »
    @DarthDimi

I liked it, too. It does have a certain late 80s pop charm to it. In fact, it's a good companion piece to the title song.

I agree. I first heard the butchered version by Celine Dion. When I heard Patti's version much later, I loved it right away....that's how the song is supposed to sound. Both the title song and end credits are excellent soul pieces.