Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Bounine wrote: »
    I was wondering if Eon knew that IFP had intended to use this title.
    I don't possess knowledge upon that, but I'm assuming that has been the case.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    'Trigger Mortis' sounds like a Poirot parody, not a Bond story.
  • AceHole wrote: »

Intelligent observation. N'est-ce-pas?

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The villains will be held in " The little grey cells" :)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    DrGorner wrote: »
    The villains will be held in " The little grey cells" :)

As opposed to six feet under in a Bond novel?
  • Anthony's new web site intimates that there will be a TM launch in London on 7th September and was wondering if some of you literati would like to meet up at it?
    Villieurs53 said he would be up for it any of you other guys are going - let me know.
  • Recent pre-publicity has not mentioned Sir Stirling.
    I was wondering if he has refused to have his name used in the story?
    I hope not because apart from the fact that it would be a diversion from Fleming's original material, It would be a huge loss in the PR stakes.
    My dream would be a Bentley special edition co-signed by Sir Stirling and Anthony.
    Does anybody know if Sir Stirling remains in the story?
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    I've recently read it and it is very good.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    How did you read it?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Walecs wrote: »
    How did you read it?
    If dublo says he's read it, then believe me, he has read it. ;)
    Theres been the odd copy on fleabay
    AceHole wrote: »

How so?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    NicNac wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    How did you read it?
    If dublo says he's read it, then believe me, he has read it. ;)

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to doubt him, I was just wondering. :) I can't wait to read it too!
  • I've recently read it and it is very good.

Is Sir Stirling Moss named in the book ?

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    The US cover sucks... it's so bland. I like the UK's better, with the missile schematic.
  • The US cover sucks... it's so bland. I like the UK's better, with the missile schematic.

I agree completely on the US edition, it is completely bland. If this is the best they can do in this digital age, God help hard copy print publishing.

With regards to the UK, it may be an interesting cover but not for a Bond book. If they were using it for a reprint of Deighton's 'Billion Dollar Brain' or something like it, I could understand but for Bond it just doesn't cut the mustard and the lack of uniformity with all the continuation novels is really starting to annoy me. Why can't they simply take a leaf out of Chopping's book and give us some class?

The US cover sucks... it's so bland. I like the UK's better, with the missile schematic.

I agree completely on the US edition, it is completely bland. If this is the best they can do in this digital age, God help hard copy print publishing.

With regards to the UK, it may be an interesting cover but not for a Bond book. If they were using it for a reprint of Deighton's 'Billion Dollar Brain' or something like it, I could understand but for Bond it just doesn't cut the mustard and the lack of uniformity with all the continuation novels is really starting to annoy me. Why can't they simply take a leaf out of Chopping's book and give us some class?

Sadly there's never a Richard Chopping around when you need one. :(

How about bringing back Trevor Scobie who did a few of the Gardner first edition covers?
  • Dragonpol wrote: »

Sadly there's never a Richard Chopping around when you need one. :(

How about bringing back Trevor Scobie who did a few of the Gardner first edition covers?

Indeed, why not ask Scobie. He did a fabulous job with Gardner's earlier novels — particularly 'Role Of Honour'.
    Of course, they were all taken from original oils and Chopping was and Scobie is a real artist. It would appear that one of the curses of technology is the dumbing down of book art.
    That said, my desire is not to replicate Chopping it is more to find a new, fresh way forward that can give us some uniformity. Apart from anything else, it is essential for the Bond brand. Particularly if they are shifting publishers with every author.
    Ironically, despite the dire content between the covers, the SOLO hardback art has really grown on me.
    I'd love to know what Horowitz really thought when he saw the cover. Of course, they are obliged to say they like it, otherwise they fall out with the publisher and undermine the project but I bet his heart sank.

There's a good interview with Trevor Scobie here on the excellent Artistic Licence Renewed site:

http://literary007.com/2015/07/01/exclusive-interview-with-artist-trevor-scobie/
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    There's a good interview with Trevor Scobie here on the excellent Artistic Licence Renewed site

http://literary007.com/2015/07/01/exclusive-interview-with-artist-trevor-scobie/
    I love this site - real quality!

• I've recently read it and it is very good.

Perhaps doubleonothing has nothing to say because he doesn't know. A simple question n'est-ce-pas?
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    edited July 2015 Posts: 805
    News of Trigger Mortis Ltd Edition...

*EXCLUSIVE SIGNED & NUMBERED LIMITED EDITION WITH SPRAYED EDGES, MARKER RIBBON, HEAD AND TAIL BANDS*

https://www.goldsborobooks.com/product/trigger-mortis-a-james-bond-novel/
  • News of Trigger Mortis Ltd Edition...

*EXCLUSIVE SIGNED & NUMBERED LIMITED EDITION WITH SPRAYED EDGES, MARKER RIBBON, HEAD AND TAIL BANDS*

https://www.goldsborobooks.com/product/trigger-mortis-a-james-bond-novel/

Interesting post from the good Doctor but I don't understand what is special about this edition other than the fact that it pertains to be 1 of a 1000 signed.
    Surely Horowitz will be doing signings at launch events ? This will mean there well be many more than 1000 out there.
    Secondly, is there anything physically 'special' about the book itself. The spraying of the end papers is frankly no big deal.
    Last, and most amusing of all, what's with the October 1st availability date? No self respecting Bond aficionado will wait this long after publication. Come on publisher — is this the fire, steady aim approach to marketing?
    If you are going to do a special edition then atlas make it special!
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    edited July 2015 Posts: 893
    Just finished Trigger Mortis and I must say, really enjoyed it. The villain is great. A good dose of cruelty and accidie; akin to Mr. Big in many ways.

I'll read again for a more nuance opinion, but the pace is excellent particularly in the 2nd and 3rd acts. Some nice references for Fleming aficionados too.

I'll sit down and do a proper review at some point, but thought I'd post some initial thoughts.
    007InVT wrote: »
    Just finished Trigger Mortis and I must say, really enjoyed it. The villain is great. A good dose of cruelty and accidie; akin to Mr. Big in many ways.

I'll read again for a more nuance opinion, but the pace is excellent particularly in the 2nd and 3rd acts. Some nice references for Fleming aficionados too.

I'll sit down and do a proper review at some point, but thought I'd post some initial thoughts.

Great news!

You were lucky enough to get a copy! Mine must have got lost in the post...! :D
  • 007InVT wrote: »

This is very encouraging!
    I can't wait to read it.

• doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    edited July 2015 Posts: 864

No, but there is a character who quite clearly is based on Moss.

Perhaps doubleonothing has nothing to say because he doesn't know. A simple question n'est-ce-pas?

Or maybe I don't spend as much time on the forum as I used to?

Anyway, I'm sure my review will be up on the main site soon enough. Spoiler free, of course. ;)
  • Is Sir Stirling Moss named in the book ?

No, but there is a character who quite clearly is based on Moss.

Or maybe I don't spend as much time on the forum as I used to?

Anyway, I'm sure my review will be up on the main site soon enough. Spoiler free, of course. ;)

Sad that Moss has been cut. Evidently he was named in Fleming's original treatment and it would have made for a huge PR opportunity. Something that would not go amiss for literary Bond.

• edited July 2015 Posts: 11
    Also finished reading a proof copy recently. I must admit I started with a lot of reservations - some of the continuation books have been a struggle to finish and I really did not like the title.

The first part of the book confirmed my fears. Bringing back Pussy Galore was a bit of a missed opportunity / gimmick and feels sort of bolted on. There are also too many lines lifted from previous Fleming books and without giving anything away it borrows a bit too much from Diamonds Are Forever. Horowitz is a great writer so I am not sure what was going on here - perhaps he was feeling the weight of expectations and tried too hard to write like Fleming or perhaps he did not have complete freedom to write what he wanted and had to include Pussy Galore.

Fortunately from the moment Bond meets M in his office it really lifts off and becomes classic Bond. Even the title begins to make more sense. Horowitz is obviously really enjoying writing this and I hope he is given the chance to write more Bond (with or without using any of the other original TV plots).

I probably need to read it again to be sure, but for me it went from being a bit of a disappointment at the start and ended up as the best Bond novel since YOLT.
    These positive early reviews are very encouraging! I’m getting even more excited now.

Question: did some people get access to copies early? How are these reviews coming in already?