Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

Jill St. John anyday ;)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Risico007 wrote: »
    The Man with the Golden Gun in honor of Christopher Lee

I am always surprised with how Lee single handedly saves a mediocre bond film and how stunning Brit Ekland is she is GORGOUS.

It is mediocre I agree, yet in my view it's Moore's best performance as Bond and I think it's him who carries much of the film. Lee is good and convincing as an egotistical hit man for hire, but Moore looks settled in the role, and hasn't slipped back in to Saint gear yet.
    I can't quite put my finger on it but, last time I saw GG a few weeks ago (also in honour of Christopher Lee) Moore's performance seemed a little...bland. It felt like any professional actor could have played the part. Moore didn't yet own the role, despite having some good moments (i love how he calmly finishes his lunch after committing to a duel with a hitman who's so good he only needs one bullet).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @bondjames - have to disagree there. I don't find her attractive in this film, she was great and sexy in The Wicker Man, but here she just leaves me sort of meh. And of course her character was a complete no-hoper.

I found Britt to be alright and ordinarily I wouldn't kick her out of bed but her stupidity is just so overwhelming that it sucks up all her charm and beauty for me to want to be around her.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Jill St. John anyday ;)

Even with Miss St John's collar and cuffs matching, I'd have to go for Claudine Auger. Always.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited June 2015 Posts: 17,687
    Just watched YOLT (the excellent BD), and I came away with new impressions...
    1) Connery looked really great in it.
    2) Karin Dor was a totally stunning lady.
    3) The action in it was amazing. It holds up perfectly to this day.
    4) I hated the way Bond was all over Kissy so soon after Aki died.
    5) The volcano erupting actual lava not only made no sense, it looked terrible. They should have just blown up a model of it.

• edited June 2015 Posts: 1,310
    Licence to Kill

My very first Bond film, and many nostalgic things come with that. Despite some of its faults, I've been a fan of the film and still am.

There's a great little moment at the end of the film right after Sanchez is killed and the tanker explodes. Bond kind of rests up against a rock and it almost looks like he's about to break down. As if he's thinking, "What the hell am I going to do now?" It is a very small moment, but I've always thought that little look Dalton gives was one of his best moments as Bond.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I really like LTK; in fact, it has steadily worked it's way up my rankings. My only wish is that it had been a bit "bigger" with more cinematic production values. At times it looks and feels like a television program.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Goldfinger and Thunderball back to back.

Goldfinger was a lot better this watch. It's still not one of my favorites though. As for Thunderball, it was my favorite viewing so far. Very fun. It's cemented as my favorite Connery Bond film.
    bondjames wrote: »

I am always surprised with how Lee single handedly saves a mediocre bond film and how stunning Brit Ekland is she is GORGOUS.

Britt's not really my type, but I agree she does look quite fetching in TMWTGG. If she threw herself at me, I wouldn't object, let's put it this way. For Queen and Country.

I guess the better question is; which Bond girl would you reject if she threw herself at you? ;) That might be an idea for a htread actually...?
    "The Spy Who Loved Me": The best Roger Moore Bond movie.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    In TMWTGG, I found Moore's performance to be all over the place. If I had to pick his best performance, I would go with either TSWLM or FYEO.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    jobo wrote: »

Britt's not really my type, but I agree she does look quite fetching in TMWTGG. If she threw herself at me, I wouldn't object, let's put it this way. For Queen and Country.

I guess the better question is; which Bond girl would you reject if she threw herself at you? ;) That might be an idea for a htread actually...?

That's true @jobo. Probably the only one I'd have some difficulty with really is May Day. Bond was quite brave in that instance imho.
    jobo wrote: »

That's true @jobo. Probably the only one I'd have some difficulty with really is May Day. Bond was quite brave in that instance imho.

I concur! But then again the question is: Would I be able to? :)) That would take som bravery too!
    @bondjames - have to disagree there. I don't find her attractive in this film, she was great and sexy in The Wicker Man, but here she just leaves me sort of meh...

She is really hot in Get Carter...and quite revealing...

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    I can't quite put my finger on it but, last time I saw GG a few weeks ago (also in honour of Christopher Lee) Moore's performance seemed a little...bland. It felt like any professional actor could have played the part. Moore didn't yet own the role, despite having some good moments (i love how he calmly finishes his lunch after committing to a duel with a hitman who's so good he only needs one bullet).

Well he is only human after all. You can't expect him to be at his best each and every time...
    AceHole wrote: »

Well he is only human after all. You can't expect him to be at his best each and every time...

That is true. It's not a bad performance as such. Just, not all that great either.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Kostas_P wrote: »
    @bondjames - have to disagree there. I don't find her attractive in this film, she was great and sexy in The Wicker Man, but here she just leaves me sort of meh...

Oh, yes. I'd forgotten that. Brilliant scene, very funny when Terrence Rigby's character catches her 'at it'.
    "You got gut trouble?"
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited June 2015 Posts: 11,139
    AceHole wrote: »

Irrespective of the quality of his Bond films thus far, Craig has consistently been at his best.
    Kostas_P wrote: »

Oh, yes. I'd forgotten that. Brilliant scene, very funny when Terrence Rigby's character catches her 'at it'.

Yes, I believe he says something like that: "What's the matter? Are you ill or something?"

• Watched Thunderball yesterday. It's not so much a Bond movie as a series of tropes and action sequences strung together. There is no plot to speak of; Bond's discovery of the evil plot proceeds from pure coincidence. The dialogue, as a review at the time pointed out, lacks a lot of the genuine wit that the previous three entries had, instead being just lines the producers thought would sound Bondian. There's far less of a sense of danger here than in the previous three, to boot. Fiona Volpe's scenes come closest, but most of the attempts to kill Bond are half-hearted and come nowhere near the tension of Red Grant holding Bond at gunpoint or Bond strapped to the table, a laser inching towards his torso.

Now, I don't mean to be too hard on poor Thunderball. A good portion of the dialogue and Bondian sequences do work, although they're dragged down by the other sequences that don't quite measure up. Connery is still in top form here, and Fiona Volpe is fantastic. The girls in this movie are quite beautiful anyway, but we'll just focus on the best character for now. She is the only one of the villains to actually threaten Bond, which is an accomplishment here.

Finally, the movie has a lot of great Bondian set pieces and looks, although the ubiquitous water sequences are a black mark here. All in all, the weakest yet. I'll be curious if the manifestly sillier You Only Live Twice can beat it based on fun or if the illogic drags it down too.

1. Goldfinger
    2. From Russia With Love
    3. Dr. No
    4. Thunderball
    I'm very sorry to hear your lukewarm review of TB @Soundofthesinners, but very happy some aspects appealed to you.

It's easily top 5 Bond for me and maybe even top 3. Agree on the babes (among the best in the series imho) but respectfully disagree on the wit (I think TB is one of the absolute wittiest Bond films - I only wish they could come up with something this good today...)
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I'm very sorry to hear your lukewarm review of TB @Soundofthesinners, but very happy some aspects appealed to you.

It's easily top 5 Bond for me and maybe even top 3. Agree on the babes (among the best in the series imho) but respectfully disagree on the wit (I think TB is one of the absolute wittiest Bond films - I only wish they could come up with something this good today...)

Some of the lines are genuinely funny, and I can't take anything away from this one. It just felt like they were trying too hard to make a "Bond movie"/capitalize on the success of Goldfinger rather than just make a good movie. This problem would haunt them to varying degrees for the next thirty/forty years. Just ask Pierce Brosnan.

Some of the lines are genuinely funny, and I can't take anything away from this one. It just felt like they were trying too hard to make a "Bond movie"/capitalize on the success of Goldfinger rather than just make a good movie. This problem would haunt them to varying degrees for the next thirty/forty years. Just ask Pierce Brosnan.

True enough. There was definitely a feeling of trying to outdo Goldfinger, but I really thought Terence Young brought out more of Connery's best than Guy Hamilton was able to do in GF. I watched GF recently and felt that it was one of Connery's weaker performances. He just seemed to have more edge in TB. "Give it him...." "The gun I mean"
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The 2 most quotable Bond films IMO: TB and DAF.
    The 2 most quotable Bond films IMO: TB and DAF.
    I agree @DaltonCraig007, although I love the lines in MR (especially Drax & 007) and strangely in GE (especially 006 & Ouromov) as well.

edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I agree that it's cringeworthy @Birdleson, particularly GE ("Lovely girl.....tastes like....like strawberries." "I wouldn't know." I would".). However, for me, it's a case of being so bad that I just love the campiness of it.

Drax has some absolutely fantastic lines in MR though imho ("You have arrived at a propitious moment, coinciding with your country's one indisputable contribution to Western Civilization:.... Afternoon tea.")

I love the lines, but I realize they're embarrassing. A guilty pleasure.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    After "He's attempting re-entry" most any dopey line is okay with me, even Christmas in Turkey.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I agree that it's cringeworthy @Birdleson, particularly GE ("Lovely girl.....tastes like....like strawberries." "I wouldn't know." I would".). However, for me, it's a case of being so bad that I just love the campiness of it.

"Do you know how to disarm the weapon?"
    "I suppose that depends on what type of weapon you're taking about disarming"

I will admit that's kind of goofy. The subtlety reminds me a bit of the dialogue from Leslie Nielsen's Spy Hard:

"Do you always take matters into your own hands?"
    "Things often end up in my hands"
    "and I bet your hands end up in a lot of things"

:))

I think they (kind of) get away with it in GE bar some expections.

I LOVE how Isabella delivers the next line "so...are there any other...standing operating procedures...I should be aware of...Commander?"