Jaws 45th anniversary

edited July 2020 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,637

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Is it 40 years, Damn I feel old ! ;)
    It was (and still is) a great horror indeed. I wouldn't say the same thing about the sequels (the second one had a few good moments), but the other two... the less said the better.

And not everyone agreed about the movie. Here's a french song about the movie :

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Gerard wrote: »
    It was (and still is) a great horror indeed. I wouldn't say the same thing about the sequels (the second one had a few good moments), but the other two... the less said the better.

the only sequel i even consider when it comes to Jaws, is the sequel - Part 2... while inferior to the original, it still looks and feels very close to the original... i just always hated how jaded the townsfolk are - that after a killer shark rips through like a half dozen of their citizens - a few years later it starts happening again, and against the police chief's orders, they just carry on leaving the beaches open - like nothing ever happened ever and that the chief is some sort of raving lunatic lol..... ah well, what can you do......

Jaws 3 in 3D!!!!... was laughably bad, dated effects even for the time and just lousy acting, story, everything.... i am just shocked Dennis Quaid, Lea Thompson and Louis Gossett Jr all came out of that film with successful careers...

Jaws 4.... what more can you say about a dinosaur that can stand up out of the water on it's tail, trash around and roar like a dinosaur, then spontaneously explode for absolutely no reason at all.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Greatest Summer Blockbuster ever and for me despite all his acclaim and awards I just don't think Spielberg's ever topped it.

Every department is A1 and the fact the rubber shark was uncooperative plays to it's strengths, masterpiece! My Wife and I must watch it every few years and we made it our first film on our new 4K 40inch LG TV we bought a few months back.

Still holds up after all these years and the Jurassic Park franchise is still playing catch up, if only they could deliver on the quality of script, acting and sheer thrill what a film we'd have.
    Shardlake wrote: »

Still holds up after all these years and the Jurassic Park franchise is still playing catch up,

Both films suffered the same problem and had inferior sequels. Arguably JP's sequels have fared better, at least in terms of effects.
    JP certainly isn't as good as Jaws I agree.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,548
    Jaws is still my favorite film of all time. I have seen it countless times. But it wasn't until yesterday, when I saw it on the big screen for the first time in almost forty years, that I noticed the 007 license plate. I am certain that this has been posted somewhere on these boards, but searching for it turned up nothing. Turns out, there may be a story behind it.

131101-jaws-license-plate-007.jpg

http://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/articles/steven-spielbergs-secret-reference-james-bond-and-live-and-let-die-movie-jaws#
    Jaws Was brilliant and still stands as my favorite movie of all time

Jaws 2 was great last time I saw it

jaws 3 interesting story horrible execution

Jaws 4 god was it bad!
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 1,548
    Robert Shaw. Star of 2 of the greatest film sof all time. Jaws and of course FRWL. I think Daniel Craig would have made a brilliant Red Grant in a parallel universe where there was a modern day remake of Russia.
    Wow! Well without a doubt a fantastic film which I love, however probably the biggest reason why my phobia is swimming!
    I'm seeing it on the big screen this Wed. Can't wait.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Will always be in my top 5 films. Saw it on it's release and loved it!

Everything is just so perfect about it. Just such a beautifully made film with a great cast. Not forgetting one of THE best scores of all time!

Amazing it came out so well as the shoot was such a nightmare Spielberg nearly walked!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,686
    I'm going to rewatch 'Jaws' before catching 'The Shallows' when it hits cinemas where I live next month.
    Always interested in any film to do with the sea!

I loved The Deep and Into The Blue. I'll have to look up The Shallows as I don't know anything about it!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @LeonardPine without telling about the film itself, I'll let you know that it is directed by the guy who did 'Unknown', 'Non-Stop' and 'Run All Night' with Liam Neeson!
    edited July 2016 Posts: 3,985
    @LeonardPine without telling about the film itself, I'll let you know that it is directed by the guy who did 'Unknown', 'Non-Stop' and 'Run All Night' with Liam Neeson!

Just watched the trailer. Looks pretty good. But give me a babe in a wetsuit and a massive Shark and I'm there!!!

By the way, sorry for being thick but how do you 'tag' someone's name like you did with mine?

They should never have made any sequels to this movie. Scared the hell out of me which is why i still have a genuine fear of the water!
    The original movie "Jaws" is the only one I own.

Me too. I suspect that's the case with a lot of people.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Me too. I suspect that's the case with a lot of people.

I'm in that camp, Jaws is one of my favourite films of all time, I own it on blu ray and it's one of those that gets the most replay value of any of my collection but the sequels do barely anything for me, 2 every now and then but would I buy it? I don't think so.

I thought they were scrapping the bottom of the barrel with Jaws 3, .... Until
    Jaws 4 ! :(
    I have been slowly turning my old VHS collection to DVD and Blu-Ray I think I will have to purchase Jaws next.

I remember the summer of '75 and this movie was the talk of the town. finally saw it with some college buddies and the lines were Long! Watching it in that crowded movie theater...people screaming... on the edge of my seat.
    they just don't make them like this anymore.
    Spielberg rules!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    2016, this film still rocks.
    It does a brief note on sequels

2 is actually rather good not as brilliant as 1 but nothing ever will be
    3 is a brilliant idea but a horrible execution Joe Alves is a brilliant production designer director though uh yeah I have said if universal wants to revive the franchise they would be smart to remake this film and do it way better
    4 is crap and while I own it I never enjoyed it the death at the beginning is great and then the film goes down hill fast
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 1,637
    edited
    Tracy wrote: »
    I kinda liked Caines character in IV , the plot was pretty poor though.

I really hope they do another one , might as well with all these sequels coming out. With the same atmosphere as the first one , pro favor. If it could be as decent as #2 or better then I'd be satisfied , it's never gonna top #1 but that's okay.

Maybe they could use things from the book : Hooper and mrs Brody affair , Amity mayor in trouble with mobsters etc.

An iconic movie still to this day!
    45 yrs since filming began : May to Sept '74.........
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    As many others wrote here before, I belong alsoto the group that is really scared to swim in the open sea because of this movie. My favourite horror movie and in my top 20 of all time.