The "Problem Eliminator" Thread - Are Bond Films Getting Too Big?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Risico007 wrote: »
    It won't happen largely due to

It doesn't make sense financially, Craig's run has been well received even Quantum of Solace did well financially

It doesn't make sense physically Craig looks good and as long as he stays in shape could be bond for another decade if he really wanted too

It doesn't make sense artistically go to the leaks thread for my reasoning here but yeah

Plus he is contracted to bond 25

So against this rumor

Bang on.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    SonofSean wrote: »
    Also, if Warners get involved they would prefer a director with whom they have has huge success...that person being Bond fan Christopher Nolan!!! And I'd imagine Nolan would write the film and probably cast his own Bond...how about Bond in waiting 'Christian Bale"!!! Now that would be the dream ticket!

Although it will be 10 yrs (and 3 Batman films) too late, I'm all for Christian Bale as Bond. I don't think it will happen though, but he is the best candidate that never was from the past 15 yrs imho.
    Bale would be perfect. He now has distanced himself from Batman and not an actor easily typecast. If Warners gets the distribution rights I have no doubt that the first person they'd push to direct would be Nolan. And if you get Nola I'd be amazed if Nolan didn't get his best actor / collaborator, Bale.
    Well, here is hoping, that will never happen. Bale is a good actor but I am missing charisma. Not seeing it.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 2,081
    The Sony issue over distribution rights - probably going to Warners - might give Mendes the opportunity to hem a 3rd but I'm doubtful. He's a very in demand director. Also, if Warners get involved they would prefer a director with whom they have has huge success...that person being Bond fan Christopher Nolan!!! And I'd imagine Nolan would write the film and probably cast his own Bond...how about Bond in waiting 'Christian Bale"!!! Now that would be the dream ticket!

You're not actually serious about Nolan and Bale even potentially teaming up for Bond, are you? I love them both and I hope they'll work together again, but really... Nolan doing Bond (with somebody else as Bond) is an interesting idea, though. Bale might have been a fine Bond earlier, but surely they want a younger guy. He's only 41 now, but it would be some years before the first movie would be out even if Craig left after Spectre, which is still speculation. Physically, I'm also not sure if it would be ok. He also likes to do his own stunts when possible, and I think that's pretty much expected these days as well. I believe his back is still bothering him (from TDKR when Hardy didn't hear "Cut!" and Bale ended up on his back on concrete steps - good thing they pretty much love each other though), and a movie supposed be filming right now isn't, because Bale tore his ACL earlier in the spring and is in rehabilitation, seems to have had an operation as well. I don't know how much lasting consequences there will be from that injury. Plus I really don't think EON would be looking at actors associated heavily with another franchise. (Probably not even anyone that well known, franchise or no franchise.)

Which is also why I'm kinda surprised why people are bringing up names like Cavill, Hiddleston and Hardy - Superman, Loki, Mad Max as Bond? I haven't seen much of the first two, so I'm not sure what I think of them as actors in general (that's a nice way of saying that so far I haven't been all that impressed, especially with Cavill), but I love Hardy. He'll be 38 soon, so age-wise just maybe if Craig were to leave after this year, but he's Mad Rockatansky and contracted for more movies, so he'd be doing that and Bond at the same time? No way that would work.

Lewis? Too old, surely. The same with many others. Not that I have good enough imagination to imagine him as Bond, anyway. Or Cumberbatch for that matter. (He is apparently suggested for everything nowadays.)

If Craig really leaves after Spectre, then maybe someone can think of the correct replacement at this point. But if he does 25 (never mind 26), then it'll be several years onwards, and it's kinda impossible to really imagine where various actors careers will be then and who it might be - it would be someone not well known now, surely (possibly not well known then, either), who might still be or at least look too young now.

Bale would be perfect. He now has distanced himself from Batman and not an actor easily typecast. If Warners gets the distribution rights I have no doubt that the first person they'd push to direct would be Nolan. And if you get Nola I'd be amazed if Nolan didn't get his best actor / collaborator, Bale.

Eeh... so you are serious? It's not gonna happen. Nolan I can imagine, Bale, not - not anymore I mean, plus I suspect he'll rather do smaller stuff, anyway.

Also, btw, one doesn't "distance" oneself from Batman. Anymore than one could distance oneself from Bond.

As for the for/against the rumor, I don't think I know enough to have a valid view. It seems like there is something I should know to comment properly and since I don't I won't. Naturally I hope Craig stays, being my fave Bond and all.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    HASEROT wrote: »
    Just looking at the comments above from people saying Craig will do Bond 25 & Bond 26 to!!! Are you crazy? By the time Bond 26 is eventually made (5-6 years from now) made Craig will be 53!!! Craig isn't getting any younger and these are very physically demanding movies.

but, 53 is nothing anymore... christ, Harrison Ford was still able to pull off a 65 year old Indiana Jones, and Bruce Willis was still kicking ass as John McClane into his 50s - and Daniel Craig keeps himself in far better shape physically than either of those two men.... 50 years old is pushing it for a Bond actor - but look at Broz after DAD, he believably could've gone another film had they chosen to do so, which would've made him what by that time, 52? and again, Craig is much better physical condition.. age is just an age, it's all depends on the person's body and health.......

100% agree.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Agreed with you @haserot. Craig could pull the roll off well into his 60's.
    death-wish-3-iii-kersey-charles-bronson-machine-gun-attack.jpg

:)) =))
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited June 2015 Posts: 3,157
    - please delete -
    Bale will be too old
    Bale will be too old
    He already is. And too associated with Batman.
    Since this has now become another " who can be Bond" thread, maybe Jb can change the title.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Since this has now become another " who can be Bond" thread, maybe Jb can change the title.

I was thinking the same thing. How about that crazy Blofeld rumor Waltz keeps denying?
    I really dont think, anything not already discussed to death is out there right now. Let this thing sink until something comes up.
    For the record I think it's a good thread. Just not much to feed it on right now.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Waltz is not playing khan. Really. Truly;)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,548
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't think Craig will do 26. And I agree 50 is getting old for Bond.

It's not likely. But it's not out of the question, either. Again, it all depends on how DC feels. And it also depends on how quickly they get the next two films made. If we're talking another three years until B25, then I'd say that's it. But if we're talking B25 in 2017 and B26 in 2019, then it's a little more realistic. But how realistic is it that EON would be able to do that? Not very.

I think we're all speculating on a lot of things that are conditional. But I'll emphasize my point: DC will play Bond as long as HE WANTS. It'll have nothing to do with contract or any kind of obligation to Barbara and Michael. If DC feels up to it, whether that it be in 2017 or 2018 or 2019, he'll do it. And only he knows how his body feels at 47.

(Nolan is a possibility to direct; but Bale will NOT be Bond.)
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 5,745
    @Germanlady @Ludovico

It is unfortunate that this discussion is deteriorating so quickly, but I want to avoid the "Is Waltz Blofeld?" Stuff because 1: It's not so ridiculous of a possibility and 2: how do you prove it without dabbling on spoilers and leaks? The details are not 100% unknown to many members like the Craig leaving stuff - where nobody can be sure.
    Jb, why not leaving the main part, eleminating tbe DC part and pick it up again once something comes up.
    Jb, why not leaving the main part, eleminating tbe DC part and pick it up again once something comes up.

Because this is fresh enough that something g else may come up. Why are you so alarmed by the title? Some are done with the argument and a title is harmless.
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »

Because this is fresh enough that something g else may come up. Why are you so alarmed by the title? Some may not be done with the argument and a title is harmless.

Oh sure, you can stretch it endless. I am sure, somebody will find something to say. Whether or not it makes sense is another question. But its your thread. Hopefully you will find something new to fill it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm ok with the title and the subject. I'm sure we'll get more leaks and fodder as SP nears. The press are going to have a field day with this if/once it catches on.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    The Sony issue over distribution rights - probably going to Warners - might give Mendes the opportunity to hem a 3rd but I'm doubtful. He's a very in demand director. Also, if Warners get involved they would prefer a director with whom they have has huge success...that person being Bond fan Christopher Nolan!!! And I'd imagine Nolan would write the film and probably cast his own Bond...how about Bond in waiting 'Christian Bale"!!! Now that would be the dream ticket!

eh, i dont know about Bale... the guy can act, but he would be what, 44 years old by the time his Bond film would come out? - not much for longevity, 3 Bond films then time for another recasting.. I don't want that..

i think if it were anyone that Nolan would pull from his magic bag of actors to replace Craig, it would be Tom Hardy... he's the right age, and he is really making a name for himself as a leading man of action with the success that Mad Max: Fury Road had..... and personally, i think Hardy would make a good Bond, and it could continue the more physical grounded Bond that the producers have been focused on making with Craig..

if Nolan were to direct - it would have to be to EON's specifics, though i am sure they'd give him a wide birth creatively, but they're the ones that would still have to give the final stamp of approval - Bond is theirs, not his... and i would prefer to see what Nolan could do with Craig as Bond, rather than bring in someone new.
    If you read the leaked emails, you can see the craziness behind the scenes, and although they have luckily made it through to the near end without any more serious accidents, or more really destructive leaks which could get released at any moment, it just doesn't seem realistic to think there isn't tons of "stuff" going on behind the scenes we haven't a clue about, just rumors. Some of this stuff is SOP on a huge film, but some of it is not.

Also, why would Bale chose to pick up Bond, when he walked away from Batman when he could have easily done a few more. Same with Hardy who I think would be a great Bond but he has a big new franchise starting up with Mad Max. Why would he want Bond when he has that and his choice of roles. Can't see how either would want it. They don't need it.

I agree with jb. This is a major topic, and each week we get another new press tizzy about the next, positively, without a doubt, clear front runner for a Bond replacement. It's crazy. It's a good thing the leaked emails got cut off in November. I don't think we'd want to see the current ones.

• edited June 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Earlier I actually had thought originally that I was commenting in the other thread, that I was continuing reading the conversation I had been reading the previous night. Sorry about that. I thought of moving the post, but since I had been replying to what had been written here, and since others do as well, what the heck... :)
    smitty wrote: »
    Also, why would Bale chose to pick up Bond, when he walked away from Batman when he could have easily done a few more. Same with Hardy who I think would be a great Bond but he has a big new franchise starting up with Mad Max. Why would he want Bond when he has that and his choice of roles. Can't see how either would want it. They don't need it.

Bale did not walk away from Batman, and couldn't have done more movies for that franchise. He loved it, and was sad to say goodbye to it, but he had no choice in the matter. It depended on Nolan, not Bale. My impression was Bale would have liked to do some more (one or two more maybe, hardly several). I assume WB would have been happy with some more as well. Nolan wasn't doing more and that story arc ended, so that was that. The new Batman movie is a whole other thing, in a different universe, with a guy from another planet who actually flies and whatnot. Bale couldn't have done that, nor was he asked.

Hardy indeed has Mad Max, he couldn't do both. And btw, @haserot, Hardy isn't that much younger, what's 3 years... age-wise he could maybe do one more movie than Bale. At current rate it might actually be 2 for Bale instead of 3 you suggested and 3 for Hardy.

I agree with @smitty that neither of them needs Bond at this point. Not sure if either would want it, either. And not that it would happen anyway.

As for the leaked mails... damn, I'm getting more and more curious about them... :P
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Tuulia wrote: »
    And btw, @haserot, Hardy isn't that much younger, what's 3 years... age-wise he could maybe do one more movie than Bale. At current rate it might actually be 2 for Bale instead of 3 you suggested and 3 for Hardy.

Bale was born in 1974, Hardy in 1977.. right now, if Craig were to walk away after SP, and lets say Bond 25 weren't coming out until 2018, Bale would be 44 and nearing 45 by the time the movie would premiere, Hardy would have just turned 42 two months before the movie opens, he'd be younger than either Dalton or Brosnan when their first films debuted...

(age of each actor when film debuted)
    Connery - 32
    Lazenby - 30
    Moore - 43
    Dalton - 43
    Brosnan - 42
    Craig - 38

...and if the cut off age of Bond actors is usually 50ish, 3 years means you might possibly get an additional film, maybe 2 out of Hardy than you would Bale.. especially at the rate they are making the movies now - every 2 years instead of every other year..

but if they continue with the current every 2 years for producing a Bond movie, i have to believe they'll end up casting someone who is around mid thirties for Dan's successor.. the producers traditionally like to keep Bonds around for a while - even MGW went on record to say they would love for Dan to do 8 007 films, but thats just not realistic.
    I'm always amazed to see the ages of these guys when they did their first Bond, Connery also looked lots older to me. Maybe it's Moore and Brosnan in their 40s and Connery looking it, that makes the press think they can keep floating these older guys for Bond. Someone noted in one of the threads a while back that today's Bond films are exponentially more difficult for a Bond actor to do, with longer gaps between films etc so it just doesn't seem logical for EON to not go really young for the next Bond which makes some of the press chatter over guys like Lewis seem so weird.

@tuulia, I stand corrected re Bale not walking from Batman. I got that wrong.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,399
    smitty wrote: »
    I'm always amazed to see the ages of these guys when they did their first Bond, Connery also looked lots older to me. Maybe it's Moore and Brosnan in their 40s and Connery looking it, that makes the press think they can keep floating these older guys for Bond. Someone noted in one of the threads a while back that today's Bond films are exponentially more difficult for a Bond actor to do, with longer gaps between films etc so it just doesn't seem logical for EON to not go really young for the next Bond which makes some of the press chatter over guys like Lewis seem so weird.

exactly... guys like Lewis and Elba - though exceptionally fine actors, are past the cut off mark when it comes to age.
    BTW, we do have " last Craig era" thread and the "who could be Bond" you honestly want to tell me, that is not enough?

All i read here us the same ole. By the time the poor man wants to return, everybody and his mouse will have their new Bond in the pocket already, because they did believe all the crap plus Bond boards, who should be smarter do it as well. Sad really.

How about showing some respect?
    Another interesting note about the leaks. And I'm being careful re spoilers. When I first read the press reports about the leaks and the Sony exec's script comments, I was critical about what seemed like their interference. As I've now read tons of their emails, they actually seemed to be making astute script criticisms and called out some of Logan's looney stuff early. There was one woman who seemed particularly on top of the script process, who referred to Logan at one point as "kind of a fraud". Wow. They were just doing their jobs and were probably instrumental in greatly improving SP. the leaked emails are fascinating reading. You start to appreciate what these studios go through to get a monster film like Bond made.