The "Problem Eliminator" Thread - Are Bond Films Getting Too Big?

Comments

• edited June 2015 Posts: 6,601
    IMO, this has been discussed now enough and not for the first time either. Like some suggest, it might be time to move on to maybe what seems to be on peoples minds about not doing enough PR.

If I had to do it and just going by strategical issues and logic (which seems to be a bit of a problem these days), WHY waste my gems on a time, where everybody and his dog is releasing trailers and whistle their pipes? Why not WAIT until it gets quieter and THEN release what I have to the FULL attention of the audiences, because there is nothing else significantly around. Its not, that the film is around the corner. Its still 4 months and starting 2 months before that with a full PR machinery seems to make more sense.

They have something to hide?

Ridiculous. I was discussing this with a friend BEFORE those issues reappeared and we mentioned how positive and happy everybody looked right down to the crew people, you can see being around in the on set pics. There was nothing but positive vibes to get out of those pics. Everybody seemed to enjoy the ride.

So, this wouldn't be the case, if there was this BIG TURMOIL some people are talking about.
    Surely not.

DC writing on the script. BS again. Sure he did his best during QOS, but yeah, writer he ain't.
    There are better people around to do that, IF and noting suggests that, the hired writers cannot do the job.
    Of course, with his input, he might suggest things, but that is not rewriting the script.

Lets not forget, we have the summer hole and the papers have to make up more then usual to fill their crappy pages.Logic...

Plus, this Walker guy never returned, I assume. He dropped his little bomb and left and got, what he wanted, attention for his illogical post. I already gave my little resumée on why it was crap.
  • RC7RC7
    Yawn.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    @Germanlady

like i said before.. the sensible thinkers on this board have given way to a mass of chicken littles and boys who cry wolf.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    smitty wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    smitty wrote: »
    And that's exactly the problem. The Sony leaks which got huge press are nothing but negative. Studio suits all whining the script is a mess, the budget is out of control. Now tons of press about a Bond replacement. here we are in a killer year of way too much competition. Where is Bond? He has literally been hidden. Where is Lovely Lea. Hidden. Other big films opening after SP all have trailers out. They blew an incredibly vast marketing trailer audience opportunity for JP. What is going on with these guys. If the only press you are getting is that your script is a mess, you are way over budget, your star is now rewriting the script, and oh yes, he us being replaced, and you are doing Nothing to counter program it except having a blog of Mendes running his mouth about nothing, and having another tv teaser that is MP running her mouth about nothing with a a few quick cuts so fleeting they show next to nothing, you are not exactly looking brilliant.

Well said @smitty. Hopefully they've been holding back because they're going to blitz us closer to the release (which is what I think is going to happen, since they need to get the gross in fast before SW7 kicks everyone's rear a month later).

You are so right. If they don't get their gross out hard and fast up front they will, as someone posted a while back, get cut off at the knees by THG and SWs and the big spy films opening just before them if they have legs will also bleed them out the rest of the way. It's almost as if Sony has stripped their promotion budget which on a 300m budget is $150m. I'm trying to think of what the heck they are doing. They have left a void that is creating all this garbage in the press.

umm.... is this not the same promotional schedule they had with Skyfall, and almost every other Bond movie?

in terms of blowing a marketing opportunity with attaching the trailer to Jurassic World - need i remind you, the trailer was attached to Furious 7 - which went on to gross $1.3 billion, so it already got a lot of publicity..

... as a matter of fact, i do not remember a TV spot for Skyfall until about October - and we already got one for Spectre during the NBA finals (which seemed to spike a lot of interest again as well - which based off the ratings the NBA finals got, a lot of eyes saw the spot as well again).... but the marketing for Spectre has been pretty much business as usual as far as i can tell... Skyfall might have gotten more leading into the release, but that was because of the 50th anniversary - we all knew they would promote the hell out of the 50th anniversary - but so far, this is A typical marketing when it comes to previews and trailers - you get the teaser trailer around May, another trailer will probably come out in August/September, and then a flood of TV spots in September/October.

Script issues - we have known this since October?... but they seemed to have fixed them once they started filming.
    Overbudget - known thanks to Sony leaks, but if the movie is successful, this will be a moot point.
    Star is rewriting the script - as far as we know, it was Craig and Mendes both having differences from what Logan wrote, which is why they hired another writer to fix his work... this is no different than what happened on SF - and it was even worse on QOS, when they didn't have a finished script when they started filming. They were making things up as they went... but Craig has always had heavy input with the scripts since QOS, so why is this even a point?
    Craig is being replaced - Once again, speculation and rumors AT BEST.. nothing is confirmed beyond what a few people who claim to have sources who are best friends with the sisters of someone's cousin who is friends with a guy who worked on set for a day has said.... until something more concrete comes out, spreading this particular tripe should stop.
    Mendes' blogs - he did the same with SF
    TV spots - the TV teasers are meant to do just that, TEASE... i love people that want the film's plot completely laid out from point A to point B in a trailer - much less a teaser trailer..

where did all the level headed people go on this board??.... when did the chicken littles rise to power and start running the show??

Brilliant post.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    One thing I'm 100% certain of, based on seeing Craig at the Broadway show and based on interviews he has done etc. That is, he won't be in the role as long as many of us would like.

The most we're going to get out of him is B25 (if at all). I don't see him doing B26.

For him, this is just a job. For us, it's an obsession.

He has other things he can do with his career (before he gets too old) and I'm sure he'll want to consider it. The fact that he took that long break after SF shows he is not a conventional actor who is milking the cow while it's fertile.

Recent rumours aside, it would be prudent to seriously start considering who his replacement could be now, because that fella will be with us sooner than we think, likely by 2020 if not sooner.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Craig didn't take a long break; he had no choice. A very early script was shopped around to potential directors in 2013 iirc and EoN we're still struggling to find a director after Mendes had broadcasted his non return only to later do a 180. Furthermore Logan was taking his sweet time with his scrip which turned out to be garbage in the end and then Purvis and Wade who were let go were begged back to fix it up. All of this stuff takes time, the majority of said time being completely wasted. Craig knew the deal before accepting the role, regarding his availability to do other projects and he has had the time to do other stuff but he has opted not to do as many movies for his own reasons not that time hasn't allowed him to do so and he wants to scratch that itch. He's made a few films and done a couple of Broadway plays in between Bond movies. He's a chilled guy with a relatively new family; his priorities and interest maybe a far cry from what many people here expect and assume.
    Bond for Craig is more than just a job because as has already been highlighted numerous times, he doesn't just get summoned to the set, shoot his scenes and retires to his trailer; he is fully committed in almost every aspect of the creative process that no other Bond actor has come close to being involved in. In fact, Craig has an almost mission impossible-Tom Cruise like influence with these Bond movies and it's his casting that has helped attract some of the best talent in front and behind the camera. SP will be huge and Craig will be back for Bond 25. He's just too valuable to the series right now.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I agree that he is extremely valuable to the series. I agree that his input has been immense and Cruise-like. However, he is not Cruise. He is, as you say, chilled. I'm sure he has other priorities.

He has been very influential with Bond because he is a consummate professional and very good at his job. However, it is still just a job to him. I don't think this is his life. When he did that run on Broadway, I realized that. Which other actor has done that while being Bond? None to my knowledge. Broadway is tough work too. Very challenging from an acting point of view.

Cruise is different in that respect. He lives for his film work. Just my opinion of course.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 2,015
    GermanLady, do you think LeaSeydoux was really happy, positive and smiling to learn she simply could not take a full part in the promotion of her French movie because of all the problems with the everchanging schedule of the shooting of SPECTRE ? Promotion is key in the industry, and a director explaining half-jokingly her actress is "prisoner" from the Bond team does not happen that often.

I'm not saying this production is a fiasco (but the leaks tell us many things about the pre-production, when the movie is released, be prepared for some surprises). But looking at everything with pink glasses is not the solution either IMO. We may have far more CG than expected to solve the production's too tight schedule, for instance. And well, CG cars are not that great...

Yes, the source for this hypothesis is mostly hearsay (Corbould telling someone's friend here that there will be a lot of CG in SPECTRE) + some photos of some camera setups. But note that no one came and claimed that the Corbould words were invented !
    edited June 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Bond isn't his life but it's not just a job either. If it were he'd learn his lines, shoot his scenes and go home. He's an actor that what he gets paid for. He can do that and still be professional but Craig goes above and beyond with this role and yes, he is chilled which is why for him, he doesn't need to prioritise or worry about making lots of other movies because he has the opportunity to do so but he'd rather do other things as I stated. Between QoS and SF he made a couple of movies and did a Broadway play. Between SF and SP he did another Broadway play.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 6,601
    GermanLady, do you think LeaSeydoux was really happy, positive and smiling to learn she simply could not take a full part in the promotion of her French movie because of all the problems with the everchanging schedule of the shooting of SPECTRE ? Promotion is key in the industry, and a director explaining half-jokingly her actress is "prisoner" from the Bond team does not happen that often.

I'm not saying this production is a fiasco (but the leaks tell us many things about the pre-production, when the movie is released, be prepared for some surprises). But looking at everything with pink glasses is not the solution either IMO. We may have far more CG than expected to solve the production's too tight schedule, for instance. And well, CG cars are not that great...

Yes, the source for this hypothesis is mostly hearsay (Corbould telling someone's friend here that there will be a lot of CG in SPECTRE) + some photos of some camera setups. But note that no one came and claimed that the Corbould words were invented !

I don't think, my posts are through pink glasses, as they are rather based on logic.
    And what is new in a huge production having schedule changes? Please...you always play it as a "being in the know" but this is ***. I am following this process long enough to know a bit here and there myself.

The CGI thing, I don't know about, but from what we saw, A LOT of cars were driven around day and night in real life time. But, of course, CGI is involved. Heavily? I don't know, but don't think so.

• edited June 2015 Posts: 2,015
    Usually one can't prove much the reasons why one says this and that about what goes on in the production, but the leaks are public with SPECTRE, and when we can discuss once the movie is over, you'll see there's a lot to say.

For the moment, believe it or not, but the "let's SPECTRE be the last of Craig, er.. no, er.. yes" story is not as incoherent as you find it is. It even makes it more believable ! And in a few months, you'll be able to judge by yourself (unless the Wikileaks site is down). The biggest info on that topic is in the leaks, but has not yet been made public by the media for some reason we canno discuss outside the leaks.

And I really don't understand why this thread is outside the LEAKs thread. This is an error IMO. At one point, some people being told to "shut up with the nonsense" may be tempted to post the leaked info to make their point against the "experts"...
    All I'm going to say is i'll be here ready to read people's continued disappointment with the fit of Craig's suits for...BOND 25.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,548
    TripAces wrote: »
    Let's clear something up: DC is NOT contracted to do Bond 25. He has an open contract with EON and can walk away after SP if he so chooses.

@TripAces

I am curious where you got this bit of info and how you're so certain it is accurate.... because it was made public that after QOS, Daniel Craig had signed on for 3 additional films - that being Bond 23(Skyfall), Bond 24(Spectre), and Bond 25... now whether he has "out clauses" in his contract is anyone's guess - i'm sure something of the sort is in there... but his current contract does indeed run through Bond 25.

Craig's original contract was the standard 3 film deal (the same Pierce got) which would have came with the same per film agreements from then on out (just like Pierce did with DAD after TWINE)... once Craig signed his new contract, the old one became toilet paper essentially.

btw, i am AGAINST the rumor - because all the rumor is based off of is fan/media speculation and conjecture.... Craig returns for Bond 25 - from then on out it's up in the air, but i'd even be willing to bet he comes back for a 6th, then hangs it up.. EON has their most successful Bond in franchise history, and there isn't another CR situation up on the horizon where they would want to reboot and start over (as everyone seems to think will happen when Craig quits).. EON will try and keep Craig around for as long as they possibly can.

@haserot: 007 producers

This report surfaced across multiple outlets. Bottom line is, DC will do Bond as long as he wants.

straight from the article...

"" Broccoli also noted that the actor's contract is "open-ended." (Craig is currently slated to play 007 through Bond 25.)

thats the mic drop..... lets move past this..

Slated = planned, does not mean contracted. DC can tell EON he's done after SP if he wants.

Read the final question in this interview:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/features/424095-cs-interview-spectre-producers-barbara-broccoli-and-michael-g-wilson#/slide/1

But let me clarify: I am not arguing the contract status to suggest that DC is walking away. Please do not misunderstand me. I think DC is back for Bond 25 (and maybe 26), but being "under contract" is not the reason. DC will play Bond as long as he wants to, and that will depend on his physical shape and the $$$ EON offers him.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    All I'm going to say is i'll be here ready to read people's continued disappointment with the fit of Craig's suits for...BOND 25.
    count me in with you!

We may have far more CG than expected to solve the production's too tight schedule

That's nonsense. This film has a less tight production schedule than CR and QOS had. Sure, the post-production itself is really tight, but that should mean less CGI.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,399
    Let's clear something up: DC is NOT contracted to do Bond 25. He has an open contract with EON and can walk away after SP if he so chooses.

@TripAces

I am curious where you got this bit of info and how you're so certain it is accurate.... because it was made public that after QOS, Daniel Craig had signed on for 3 additional films - that being Bond 23(Skyfall), Bond 24(Spectre), and Bond 25... now whether he has "out clauses" in his contract is anyone's guess - i'm sure something of the sort is in there... but his current contract does indeed run through Bond 25.

Craig's original contract was the standard 3 film deal (the same Pierce got) which would have came with the same per film agreements from then on out (just like Pierce did with DAD after TWINE)... once Craig signed his new contract, the old one became toilet paper essentially.

btw, i am AGAINST the rumor - because all the rumor is based off of is fan/media speculation and conjecture.... Craig returns for Bond 25 - from then on out it's up in the air, but i'd even be willing to bet he comes back for a 6th, then hangs it up.. EON has their most successful Bond in franchise history, and there isn't another CR situation up on the horizon where they would want to reboot and start over (as everyone seems to think will happen when Craig quits).. EON will try and keep Craig around for as long as they possibly can.

@haserot: 007 producers

This report surfaced across multiple outlets. Bottom line is, DC will do Bond as long as he wants.

straight from the article...

"" Broccoli also noted that the actor's contract is "open-ended." (Craig is currently slated to play 007 through Bond 25.)

thats the mic drop..... lets move past this..

Slated = planned, does not mean contracted. DC can tell EON he's done after SP if he wants.

Read the final question in this interview:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/features/424095-cs-interview-spectre-producers-barbara-broccoli-and-michael-g-wilson#/slide/1

But let me clarify: I am not arguing the contract status to suggest that DC is walking away. Please do not misunderstand me. I think DC is back for Bond 25 (and maybe 26), but being "under contract" is not the reason. DC will play Bond as long as he wants to, and that will depend on his physical shape and the $$$ EON offers him.

he is indeed contracted for Bond 25, thats the deal he signed after QOS - they renegotiated his contract and signed him to an extension which included the next 3 films..... i think we are on the same page, but we are just arguing over verbiage and semantics lol - because his current contract is over after Bond 25 - but, he could have an out clause which means he can walk away if he chooses to...

I honestly believe Dan loves screwing with the press because of stuff like this... because he'll give interviews saying how much he enjoys the role and wants to continue playing it for as long as he feels he can - then on the other hand he'll talk about wanting out of the role and that he can't take it anymore.... i personally think it's all just to jerk everyone around..... i think he likes the money and security the role brings, and i believe he has a blast jetting around promoting it and literally being James Bond - but actually doing the work of running around and filming burns him out, because it's such a physically demanding role (which is probably one of the reasons why we have 2 year gaps in between films instead of 1)... but if he didn't enjoy it, he wouldn't have signed on to keep doing them...

at the end of the day, i believe Dan is a man of his word and he'll honor the contract he signed through Bond 25.... beyond that it's anyone's guess - if he were to come back for a 6th, my bet would be it probably be EON wanting him back more than him wanting to come back (sort of like Connery with DAF)
    I think the poster invented this "scoop". However, I'm not so sure Craig won't leave after Spectre. People say he's contracted to one more film, but he's 47 now, meaning he'd be 50 by the time they shoot Bond 25 (there is usually 3 year gap between movies) - so Craig would be the same age as Brosnan was in Die Another Day - which is too old for Bond, personally speaking. Also, I get a strong OHMSS for Spectre. I can very well seeing Bond planning to retire after this, his final mission, having fallen in love with the new Bond girl, Swann. And something tells me The ending of Spectre will be heartbreaking and Bond will be devastated by events. After that Bond will leave MI6...but Bond will return and reboot with a younger actor in the role for Bond 25. So although I don't believe this rumour, I'd be amazed if Spectre isn't Craig's final outing.
    Just looking at the comments above from people saying Craig will do Bond 25 & Bond 26 to!!! Are you crazy? By the time Bond 26 is eventually made (5-6 years from now) made Craig will be 53!!! Craig isn't getting any younger and these are very physically demanding movies. The leaked reports from Sony a few months back clearly indicate that discussions have been made regarding Craig's replacement. This is inevitable. Every Bond has a shelf life, and Craig is reaching his. The two year delay between QOS & Skyfall cannot be over-looked either. The MGM meltdown massively interrupted the production schedule and the Bond clock was still counting down on Craig. In fact, he may have been in the same position Dalton was in as the serious delays between movies pushed him out after Licence To Kill. All I'm saying is that Bond's have a very short life expectancy. So don't be surprised if Craig is gone after Spectre.
    I don't think Craig will do 26. And I agree 50 is getting old for Bond.
    SonofSean wrote: »
    Just looking at the comments above from people saying Craig will do Bond 25 & Bond 26 to!!! Are you crazy? By the time Bond 26 is eventually made (5-6 years from now) made Craig will be 53!!! Craig isn't getting any younger and these are very physically demanding movies.

but, 53 is nothing anymore... christ, Harrison Ford was still able to pull off a 65 year old Indiana Jones, and Bruce Willis was still kicking ass as John McClane into his 50s - and Daniel Craig keeps himself in far better shape physically than either of those two men.... 50 years old is pushing it for a Bond actor - but look at Broz after DAD, he believably could've gone another film had they chosen to do so, which would've made him what by that time, 52? and again, Craig is much better physical condition.. age is just an age, it's all depends on the person's body and health....... but, being realistic, i expect Bond 25 will be Craig's last, because based off the script, there is a sense of unfinished business that will need to be taken care of in the following film......... the only possible way he would even dream of coming back for a 6th, is if EON threw a bunch of money at him - meaning, he would have to be dragged back for 1 last film, rather than willingly wanting to come back..
    The leaked reports from Sony a few months back clearly indicate that discussions have been made regarding Craig's replacement.

is this in regards to Amy Pascal drooling over Idris Elba?.... i don't put any stock into any of that, because Sony has zero say so in who ends up as James Bond - thats 100% Eon's decision.. Sony's only responsibility is to pony up cash for the distribution and 50% of production - they have/had no say in casting matters beyond offering suggestions... besides, Pascal is out of the picture and Sony may be as well after Spectre - so all this probably wont matter and will become just another interesting footnote in the Bond legacy.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Agreed with you @haserot. Craig could pull the roll off well into his 60's.
    death-wish-3-iii-kersey-charles-bronson-machine-gun-attack.jpg
    Murdock wrote: »

lol... i don't want to see a 60 year old Bond creeping on girls half his age lol... it was unsettling enough with Moore at 58 years old, i don't want to see that again lol (although he aged horribly, and that face lift between OP and AVTAK didn't do him any favors).. i do believe 50 years old, give or take a year or two is the right time for a Bond actor to bow out.

But one cannot question the bad assery of Mr Charles Bronson - even though he is dead, he still is more of a BA than most men will aspire to be.
    Another reason I'm not sure Craig will want to do another one after Skyfall is because he will almost certainly lose Sam Mendes whom he has forged a very close creative partnership. There is no way on earth Mendes will want to do Bond again. The production of Spectre has been very difficult - the pre-production sounds like hell with every senior Sony executive getting involved because of Logan's dire script- and I can imagine Mendes wanting nothing more to do with Bond after this. It means Craig would have to form s new creative partnership - and if it's just to fulfil his contractual obligation for another Bond (if he really has one) then I can imagine he'd argue his way out of it.
    Another reason I'm not sure Craig will want to do another one after Skyfall is because he will almost certainly lose Sam Mendes whom he has forged a very close creative partnership. There is no way on earth Mendes will want to do Bond again. The production of Spectre has been very difficult - the pre-production sounds like hell with every senior Sony executive getting involved because of Logan's dire script- and I can imagine Mendes wanting nothing more to do with Bond after this. It means Craig would have to form s new creative partnership - and if it's just to fulfil his contractual obligation for another Bond (if he really has one) then I can imagine he'd argue his way out of it.
    After Skyfall? D'oh! I mean Spectre, obviously.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2015 Posts: 13,882
    death-wish-3-iii-kersey-charles-bronson-machine-gun-attack.jpg

But Bronson was a no nonsense bad ass, and could get away with it (up to, and including, Death Wish 4).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited June 2015 Posts: 16,328
    But Bronson was a no nonsense bad ass, and could get away with it (up to, and including, Death Wish 4).
    Craig could be too in Bond 30. :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Craig could be too in Bond 30. :))

Oh crap, don't even joke about that.

you might be right about Mendes wanting to wash his hands of Bond after this - though it'll be interesting to see what happens with Sony's contract expiring... EON/Mendes/Craig all seem to be on great terms - so if the bane of Mendes' being is Sony, then it's possible that a partnership with a new company (ie: Warner Bros, as was rumored) or MGM possibly financially being able to go it alone for a film could be enough to sway Mendes back.... artistic folk are tricky people to figure out (i should know lol.) and, to borrow a term from the Godfather, just when you think they are out, they get pulled back in.. i thought Mendes for all intents and purposes was done after Skyfall - he himself said he was done, saying "i told my story, there is nothing more to tell.".. but here he is..

i wont hedge any bets one way or the other.. but stranger things have happened, and if Sony is out of the way for Bond 25, that could work in EON's favor if they really want Mendes back.

you might be right about Mendes wanting to wash his hands of Bond after this - though it'll be interesting to see what happens with Sony's contract expiring... EON/Mendes/Craig all seem to be on great terms - so if the bane of Mendes' being is Sony, then it's possible that a partnership with a new company (ie: Warner Bros, as was rumored) or MGM possibly financially being able to go it alone for a film could be enough to sway Mendes back.... artistic folk are tricky people to figure out (i should know lol.) and, to borrow a term from the Godfather, just when you think they are out, they get pulled back in.. i thought Mendes for all intents and purposes was done after Skyfall - he himself said he was done, saying "i told my story, there is nothing more to tell.".. but here he is..

i wont hedge any bets one way or the other.. but stranger things have happened, and if Sony is out of the way for Bond 25, that could work in EON's favor if they really want Mendes back.

The Sony issue over distribution rights - probably going to Warners - might give Mendes the opportunity to hem a 3rd but I'm doubtful. He's a very in demand director. Also, if Warners get involved they would prefer a director with whom they have has huge success...that person being Bond fan Christopher Nolan!!! And I'd imagine Nolan would write the film and probably cast his own Bond...how about Bond in waiting 'Christian Bale"!!! Now that would be the dream ticket!

I hope, Nolan wont get his fingers on Bond or Bale. The joker, for me, was the pnly goos thing in three otherwise boring and pompous films.