Bond's "Dirty Pair" moments

in Bond Movies Posts: 5,772
A bit of explanation for those not familiar with manga and anime : The Lovely Angels, Kei and Yury, are a duo of galactic troubleshooters who, like Bond, confronts various threats to galactic peace. However, in the course of their missions, they sometimes (well, often, in fact) causes more damages than the threat they were sent to stop (including the destruction of inhabited planets), which led to them receiving the not so flattering nickname of "The Dirty Pair" (which the two girls hate, even if it's not exactly undeserved). Well, in the movies, there were cases where Bond could be their inspiration.

Take Dr. No, for example : Bond confronts the titular villain in his own control room, and sends him to his doom by plunging him into his own nuclear reactor, thus causing a meltdown and the explosion of the base on Crab Key. He then goes on a cruise with the lovely Honey. Everything is fine, right ? Except that, if there was something that Chernobyl taught us, it's that a nuclear meltdown has dramatic and far-reaching consequences, and that (contrary to what the French government thought at the time) borders are no protection against radioactive particles. Which means that a good portion of the Caribbeans are now contaminated, and that the rate of cancers is going to grow exponentially. All that to make sure a rocket launch test goes off without a hitch.

I read that in a Cracked article once, and it made me think of the ending of TSWLM. Here, Bond causes two nuclear submarines, full to the brim with nuclear warheads, to send nuclear missiles at each other. Even if there's no land mass near each vessel, maritime trade is certainly going to suffer in the zones each submarine was (remember this : [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daigo_Fukuryū_Maru"]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daigo_Fukuryū_Maru[/url] ), not to mention fishing. Granted, less victims that if the nukes had reached their intended first target, but still...

And of course, there's the infamous "let's launch a car into a shop from a parking roof over a street in broad daylight" in TND (it's a miracle no one was hurt or killed by that stunt). But are there any others ? Remember, we're looking for moments when Bond did go overboard and caused a lot of destruction himself, not moments where the villains did it (they're villains, it's expected of them).

Comments

Perhaps the tank chase scene in GoldenEye? I recall Bond running over and blowing up multiple police vehicles, not to mention wrecking a ton of buildings in St. Petersburg.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He wreaked havoc on the Russians in TLD, but that was on purpose so I guess it doesn t count. Imagine if he did the same to the Americans 20 years later. Same thing, opposite reaction.
    Well, there was that time in Las Vegas... Completely uncalled for, that one. A phone call to Felix would have cleared up any misunderstanding.
    And lest we forget, he got M killed. Good job.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Bond parasurfing in DAD surely traumatised millions of people around the world. :D
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Does this fit in to the category? Because when you think about it, it's clever.
  • Chasing MayDay through the streets of Paris was surely a time when Bond put everyone but the assassin in danger.
    And he ruined the wedding cake as well!
    Chasing MayDay through the streets of Paris was surely a time when Bond put everyone but the assassin in danger.

Moore started and ended his Bond carreer with ruining wedding cakes.
    Chasing MayDay through the streets of Paris was surely a time when Bond put everyone but the assassin in danger.

Moore started and ended his Bond carreer with ruining wedding cakes.

What a unique bookend trait for Roger, hahaha. I hope that wasn't intended from the get-go. :-j
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    OP (pts) - how about Bond leading a missile back to an airbase, where not far away a horse exercise was taking place with innocent civilians around.

TWINE (pts) - when he runs the Q boat through a densely populated restaurant.. he is lucky that he didn't run over any patrons, who were quietly trying to enjoy their afternoon lunch.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2015 Posts: 15,686
    HASEROT wrote: »
    TWINE (pts) - when he runs the Q boat through a densely populated restaurant.. he is lucky that he didn't run over any patrons, who were quietly trying to enjoy their afternoon lunch.

16 years later I am still mad at Bond trashing that plate of delicious looking cookies.
    From the books, this time : let's see : Bond redirects the Moonraker where it was supposed to land in the first place. This causes a very big explosion, a tsunami and the loss of quite a few lives, none of them being nazis or soviets. Plus radioactivity in the target zone for quite a while. On the plus side, London was not destroyed, but still...

And there might have been some repercussion from that volcano explosion in YOLT (both the novel and the movie).
  • sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    This is one of those I dont want to think to hard about as I think just about everything Bond does creates collateral damage greater than the intended goal.

That said, I cant help but recall the real-world case of blowing up the Disco Volante....and John Stears in the process ended up taking out all of the windows in the town (something like 50 miles away). :)
    The PTS of GE ends with a chemical weapons factory being blown up. Isn't that going to create some environmental problems down the line ?

Of course, in the novelization, John Gardner said that Bond's superiors would not have sent him to blow up this factory if they hadn't know that the chemical weapons were not there, but still...
    From Cracked (where I found the idea for this thread) :

433360_v1.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Good think it was only a movie. :))
    Again, from Cracked :

664915_v2.jpg
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 6,682
    Brilliant! Well done, James...

220px-Truman007.jpg
    On an positive note, Bond doesn´t consume industrial sugar, which is one of the worst drugs of our society and might in the future be restricted like opium.

And to be fair, it´s a well-known fact that radioactivity, much like smoking, only became hazardous in recent decades. In the 60s it simply wasn´t, as you can see from educational films, that it was absolutely enough to hide underneath a table in case of a nuclear attack in order to be safe.
    Sugar, alcohol and heroin are the worst.
    sunsanvil wrote: »
    This is one of those I dont want to think to hard about as I think just about everything Bond does creates collateral damage greater than the intended goal.

That said, I cant help but recall the real-world case of blowing up the Disco Volante....and John Stears in the process ended up taking out all of the windows in the town (something like 50 miles away). :)

Which leads to another "Fridge Horror, as TV Tropes put it :
    Largo's boat, the Disco Volante, was carrying a nuclear missile when it exploded. The massive explosion probably generated deadly radiation and spread radioactive debris. The whole area must be contaminated, and at the very least James Bond, Domino and Kutze were irradiated.

So, after Jamaica the Bahamas, James ?
    When Bond randomly throws out the knife-star thingy into the crown after getting cash-stabbed in OP but it luckily did not hit anyone.