Smoking Theme in Thunderball

Has anyone noticed that there is a lot talk in Thunderball about smoking? Not just talk about Bond or anyone character smoking, but actual discussion regarding Smoking, not smoking, giving up smoking, controlling one smoking, being able to smoke in front of the boss, not being able to smoke in a meeting, changing what one smokes, talking about brands of smoking, smelling smoke free, being sexually attracted to the character on the smoking package.

Is there is an underlying message in it all?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And Largo uses his cigar to torture Domino.
    I guess smoking was very mainstream at the time.
    Much to talk about including smoking etiquette, responsible smoking habits, smoking as connoisseur etc.
    Had a bit of snob appeal, so right up Bond's alley.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Maybe at this point the doctor had told Fleming to cut back on the smoking and this was him coping with that.
    And Blofeld is the perfect puritan and does not smoke.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Of course, in the novel, Domino fantasizes about the man from the Player advertising.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 14,800
    royale65 wrote: »
    Of course, in the novel, Domino fantasizes about the man from the Player advertising.

When I say that Ian Fleming was inventive in the 60s, that is what I mean. He throws away the genre and all its code and creates a story within the story, which explains a lot about Domino as a character and what are her dreams and desires about men...