Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

Comments

• edited May 2015 Posts: 2,594
    Well, first and foremost, Happy 107th Birthday Mr. Fleming!

I like the title. The cover is perhaps a bit on the dull side but it is unique and interesting. I have said in numerous posts that I would like to see one of the previous Bond girls return but I always suggested Tatiana or Solitaire. With Pussy however, it'll be interesting to see whether she decides to turn back to full blown lesbianism following her romp with Bond at the conclusion of Goldfinger. Seeing it's only been 2 weeks, it wouldn't be a stretch to think that Bond will still be seeing her unless they decided to depart ways directly after the Goldfinger affair. I also like how this story will be set smack bang in the middle of the Fleming series (something I've always wanted) instead of after TMWTGG as per usual.

I like how one of the character's is Korean. I used to live there. :)

Seeing the opening scene involves the race, I hope it begins with the cars racing and then cuts to the scene between Bond and M at the office where the circumstances of the race are explained, then hops back to the race for the ending.

GF was published 1959.
    I didn't know it was set in 1957.
    At end of GF wasn't Pussy destined for arrest, and possible time at Sing Sing.
    Wonder how Horowitz will resolve that?
    Love the chutzpah of dropping it inside the Fleming canon. That's pretty self-assured.
    Hope it's everything we really don't think it will be.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Love the chutzpah of dropping it inside the Fleming canon. That's pretty self-assured.
    Hope it's everything we really don't think it will be.

Personally, I can't understand why some might have a problem with this. Why must no other Bond adventures be set in the midst of the Fleming canon? Who cares.

Pearson's excellent Bond biography contained a number of small assignments that read like Fleming short stories and were set between the adventures Fleming gave Bond.

@timmer "At end of GF wasn't Pussy destined for arrest, and possible time at Sing Sing."

Oh, I'd forgotten about this.

All I'll say, at the risk of sounding negative, is that I've never wanted to get my hopes up regarding this book due to the last three disappointing celebrity installments. It could be fantastic though and all these issues might have been handled well but obviously I will not convince myself that this will be so. We'll see...
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2015 Posts: 17,728
    The title is a pun but perhaps it will grow on us? The addition of Pussy Galore sounds a little gimmicky but I'll not judge the book until I read it of course. Horowitz has revealed that it is set two weeks after Goldfinger. Looking forward to it anyhow!

I wonder if Trigger Mortis is the villains name?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 3,144
    Let's hope that it's not Triggers Broom .ive just ordered this on amazon so we will wait to see
    But at least with Anthony Horowitz you just know its going to be better than Solo .
    I'm liking the title. There again, all the new Bond books have had decent enough titles, just let down by awful novels.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited May 2015 Posts: 45,489
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11501169-trigger-mortis
    The 12th of the 29 Johnny Liddell novels.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11501169-trigger-mortis
    The 12th of the 29 Johnny Liddell novels.
    And nothing to do with this !!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I don't know if post fan artworks are allowed in this thread, but nevertheless, here's my take on the novel's cover.
    James%20Bond%20Novel%20Trigger%20Mortis_zpssqvobwoc.jpg
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Not sure about the title but I'm sure it will grow on me. The return of Pussy Galore? Yes please, why not?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Not keen on the title or the return of Pussy Galore (off all the girls to feature in another book, why Pussy?).
    I either wanted a Bond novel taking place back in the '50's during Fleming's original timeline (and not after TMWTGG like Devil May Care and Solo did) or one in the present day (like Carte Blanche).

I actually really liked Solo, and thought Carte Blance was decent (hated Devil May Care), so I'm excited to read this. Horowitz is a great writer and the racing element should make it a bit different than any other Bond novel we've seen before.
    I love the fact that a Bond girl will be brought back as I've always mentioned this but I don't know about Pussy Galore. In this day and age, following all the Moore Bond films and the Austin Powers flicks, I think the name Pussy Galore just sounds a bit too slapstick for today. A previous Bond girl with a more normal, realistic name would have been better.

I think the title of the book sounds kind of cool. Sounds like the name of a rock album but I know that people will be saying that Bond shouldn't be associated with rock music. :) I think that 'Trigger Mortis' would at least have been a chapter title Fleming would have chosen.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    edited May 2015 Posts: 2,535
    Why so serious?

As a non-English speaker, I understand the joke with the title and I found it fun and ingenious, not silly or childish. Too much RogerMoorish? I don't know, but I wouldn't "hate" it for that. Perhaps the Craig era is turning all of us in more solemn fans! ;)

Like one man said: "I hope we're going to see some gratuitous sex and violence in this one!" :D

(By the way, CR'06 is one of my favourites films. Ever.)

Funny up right corner, isn't it?

FKTrigger.jpg
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Why so serious?

As a non-English speaker, I understand the joke with the title and I found it fun and ingenious, not silly or childish. Too much RogerMoorish? I don't know, but I wouldn't "hate" it for that.
    Perhaps the Craig era is turning all of us in more solemn fans! ;)

Like one man said: "I hope we're going to see some gratuitous sex and violence in this one!" :D

(By the way, CR'06 is one of my favourites films. Ever.)

Funny up right corner, isn't it?

FKTrigger.jpg

I was referring to the name 'Pussy Galore' not the title of the new book. I felt like this before the Craig era too. :) Anyway, I'm looking forward to the book. Please let it be a good one this time! :)

As others have noted the title has been used before, but still it could just be a coincidence.
    At least it's a good title. But a title does not make a novel.
    Let's not all rush to judgement, shall we, chaps? The book still has four months until it meets its release schedule. Besides, the premise is interesting enough, as well as containing an Ian Fleming material. I don't doubt for a moment that Horowitz will deliver a brilliant job at it. Besides, it's not the first time a Bond title isn't original.
    Let's not all rush to judgement, shall we, chaps? The book still has four months until it meets its release schedule. Besides, the premise is interesting enough, as well as containing an Ian Fleming material. I don't doubt for a moment that Horowitz will deliver a brilliant job at it. Besides, it's not the first time a Bond title isn't original.

I try not to be biased, but for me the continuators are basically a bunch of glorified fanfics. Ian Fleming wrote James Bond. Period.
    Well? In the words of dear ole George? "Just a slight stiffness coming on!" :))
    That said, I do like the idea of seeing Pussy Galore again.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I try not to be biased, but for me the continuators are basically a bunch of glorified fanfics. Ian Fleming wrote James Bond. Period.

Agreed. There has always been something money grubbing about the Fleming cousins trying to squeeze still more money out of Fleming's hide with what are often inferior books. True, some of the books in the past were decent, but lately not so much. What I really dislike is how some of these more recent authors keep trying to tie the marketing of their books to the films, and implying that the books will be used for upcoming Bond films which naturally then gets repeated endlessly in the press. I think BB herself put out a statement stopping the last author's false attempts to float that story.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with putting continuation to a series whose author is no longer alive, nor did he kill the character off. If the chronology should remain only in the Fleming era of literary work, then I should say EON Productions should no longer be making any more films.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I just think that more Bond is a good thing. There are good continuation novels, and there are bad continuation novels, just as there are good films and bad films.
    Ludovico wrote: »

You clearly take that view, many others happily take a contrary view on the Continuation. As a literary Bond fan first and foremost I'm more than glad it exists and In enjoy how it builds on the base of our founder Ian Fleming. Perhaps have a look at its near fifty history and origins to see why it was necessary and would have had Fleming's own blessing. See, for example, Fleming's idea to auction off to the highest bidder the literary copyright in the James Bond literary character construct so someone could continue writing the Bond novels for him.
    I think this is the first time I like the US cover better than the UK cover. I am hoping the skull motif is on both cloth boards.
    Dont like the title but it may grow on me, looking forward to getting it later in the year
    Personally, I see nothing wrong with putting continuation to a series whose author is no longer alive, nor did he kill the character off. If the chronology should remain only in the Fleming era of literary work, then I should say EON Productions should no longer be making any more films.

But the films are a different medium. Literary Bond stands on his own. And he's all Fleming. But I think the same of Chandler, Doyle, heck, Agatha Christie too.