What are you reading?

Comments

Napoleon: The End of Glory by Munro Price...

Covers the political moves & military campaigns of 1813-14, which spelled the doom of Napoleon's empire.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 159
    I've just bought 3 Ian Fleming books, Thunderball, Dr, No and From Russia With Love.
    I was lucky to get them since these editions, in greek, are rare to find. I started with FRWL and it's really interesting trying to find the similarities with the movie.

DSC_0039.jpg

• This is a blog that i wrote about bad luck and trouble by lee child http://bookebloke.blogspot.co.uk/
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TELL NO ONE-Harlan Coben

Hard to put down.
    ENHJØRNINGEN (THE UNICORN) by Andre Bjerke (1963)

A writer, a businessman, a journalist and a psychiatrist meet for an evening of bridge, and the discussion turns towards the paranormal. They all have a story to tell, except the skeptic psychiatrist. But then he gets one...

Marvellous book.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My next read: Now You See It by Richard Matheson!
    Vann-enken (The Water Widow) by Ella Griffiths (1977)

Ghostlike detective story from Oslo. A tooth is central in the story.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Just finished Stephen King's excellent Mr Mercedes and have just started The Axeman's Jazz by Ray Celestin. A fictional detective story set in New Orleans in 1919, but based on true events.
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.
  • just ordered Operation Hell Gate (24 Declassified)
    by Marc Cerasini
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    My obituary. by some of my family members.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @CommanderRoss,
    Can you explain? :-S
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Not to worry @Darth. My life may not be going as well as planned (it's sheit right now) but this is taking it very far indeed. I just couldn't resist.

allright:
    Ik koos het wapen (I chose arms)
    by Sander Koenen

the biography of General Peter van Uhm.
    Dutch translation of And then there were none by Agatha Christie. I know it's considered a classic, so when I saw it on the bookshelve I thought I might give it a go.
    Just picked up Steven King's Salem's Lot.
    I want to read some vintage King before checking out more of his new stuff.
    Really enjoyed the JFK time travel thriller that he wrote recently.
    Twice have I tried to read Salem's Lot; twice have I failed. Can't get passed even the first hundred pages. I just don't think it's as compelling a read as some of King's other novels. Please tell me how you feel about the book once it's completed, @timmer. :)
    Thanks for the warning @dimi.
    I just grabbed it as I knew it was vintage early King.
    I'll see how it goes and let you know.
    I love a good horror, but I read horror stories in autumn more, in the months leading to Halloween. I read seasonal, that's the only way I can decide what to read when.
    Truth is I'm slightly tempted to read King's IT. I'm in love with the basic story of IT but only because of that cheap yet still highly amusing TV flick Tommy Lee Wallace made with Tim Curry as Pennywise. That's officially the first movie I ever saw, besides The Last Crusade, that gave little Dimi several months worth of nightmares and sleeping with the lights on and having my dad check the closet, under the bed, ... So in a very weird way I feel obliged to at least read IT if I never read any other King.

However, I have also picked up a copy of The Long Walk, a novel King published under the alias of Richard Bachman. From what I've heard, the story sounds really interesting. I might actually decide to read that book before I read IT. It also helps that one of these is about 200 pages long, the other one about 1200 :D.

Of course when talking to King fans, I keep hearing about The Stand and how incredibly awesome it is. Now, I don't mind lengthy books but The Stand is about as voluminous as The Bible, or so I've been told. I also committed myself, a few months ago, to watching six hours of The Stand as a TV miniseries, starring the likes of Gary Sinise and Rob Lowe. The first part was pretty decent but parts 3 and 4 redefined 'boring' for me. Maybe that miniseries didn't fully honour King's work, but whatever interest I may have had in reading the novel is now completely gone thanks to Mick Garris' film adaptation.

No matter how much I love horror, for some reason King's novels escape my interest even though I try to watch as many film adaptations as I can and many of those are quite frankly rubbish. I guess I'm more of a Clive Barker kinda guy.
    I read IT. I enjoyed parts of it, but did not find it very scary. And I often found that the horror got in the way.
    Darn! Now I'm not even interested in IT anymore. ;-)
    I've knocked down 98 pages of 'Salem's Lot.
    653 pages total, although that's small size, thick paperback, so not as long as it seems.
    Yes, it is a bit of a slog. Rather long buildup to whatever this book might actually be about, but he has been introducing several creepy characters, so interest is peaked enough to continue.
    Shall soldier on.
    It's only 3rd King that I have read.
    Others being, The Dark Half, which was real good, and the recent JFK book.
    I'm planning on reading a couple of his newer titles, post JFK, such as Mercedes, and Revival,but I thought I should digest something vintage to get a sense of where he's come from.
    But JFK book was so good, I do want to read more new stuff.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    timmer wrote: »
    Just picked up Steven King's Salem's Lot.
    I want to read some vintage King before checking out more of his new stuff.
    Really enjoyed the JFK time travel thriller that he wrote recently.

'Salem's Lot, great book, probably the second or third King I read (and that was back when he only had half-a-dozen books to his name!). IT is a fantastic read (love the bits set in the 50s, fantastic evocation of that era), well worth the effort, and I have just finished Mr Mercedes which I thoroughly enjoyed, looking forward to the follow-up.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 4,622
    @lancaster, thanks for the recommendation, re Mercedes.
    It's first of a trilogy.
    He's got second book done, and is working on third now, so after I am done with 'Salem's Lot, I'll fast forward 40 years to present time, and Mr Mercedes.
    @dimi Up to 125 pages now. The slow build is starting to pay off.
    Looks like a satanic cult is in play. Bad dudes.
    I'm also liking the authentic '70s vibe of the book.
    Thanks, @timmer. :-)

Just asking, have you ever seen the Tobe Stevens directed or the Rob Lowe starring adaptation?
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Thanks, @timmer. :-)

Just asking, have you ever seen the Tobe Stevens directed or the Rob Lowe starring adaptation?
    230 pages in. Much mystery. Not sure what is going on. Wondering vampires maybe?
    Something very evil though is plaguing this small town.
    Haven't seen any screen adaptations. Will check out when done.
    This book plods a bit, but the air of mystery and dread pervades, keeping one turning the pages to find out what the heck is going on.

This book scared the living daylights out of me when I read it first, it easily trumps any bloody romantic vampire hero or frigging zombie in books or movies.
    WORLDLY GOODS by Michael Korda (1982)

Two tycoons are at each other, one of them seeking revenge for wrongs from the distant past.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    This book scared the living daylights out of me when I read it first, it easily trumps any bloody romantic vampire hero or frigging zombie in books or movies.
    Scared TLD out of you. Wow!
    Yes, the narrative does drip with dread and foreboding.
    I'm only half way through, still really don't know what's going on, and it's kinda spooking me.
    Almost afraid to turn the pages, but I must.

CAUGHT BY THE LIGHT by Robert Goddard (1998)

As in the last book I read by this author, photography is central to the plot. Is it a theme with him, I wonder?