The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

Comments

Do you guys....have any favourites this year?
    Tell me what you think of this LIVE-performance of the Dutch entry "Walk Along":
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Boring. I prefer this.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Well, the Dutch ain't boring this year. Just have a look at Trijntje's gown she's going to wear at the Eurovision semi-final next week. I instantly had to think of this red haired Bond girl ;-):

mM5j5m.jpg
    Can someone change the topic into:

"Eurovision Song Contest 2015, Vienna, Austria: Your Thoughts!"

??

I used to have a separate topic with a poll attached to it, but without asking this was merged with this topic. I'd like to make the topic a bit more 'lively'.
    I think I will vote for Latveria tonight. Not impressed with the Tuesday show, but fun to see Vampirella representing Georgia.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Can someone change the topic into:

"Eurovision Song Contest 2015, Vienna, Austria: Your Thoughts!"

??

I used to have a separate topic with a poll attached to it, but without asking this was merged with this topic. I'd like to make the topic a bit more 'lively'.

All done. Looks more current ;-)
    Will laugh if Australia win Eurovision? :))
    Latvia and UK have my support this year. So many pathetic acts.
    Latvia and UK have my support this year. So many pathetic acts.

In all honesty, I think the UK is actually quite the pathetic act among tomorrow's field of 27 finalists. I just don't get it why the UK isn't willing to send quality stuff like these (live performances from this week's semi finals):

The astonishing LATVIA. Aminata did not just sing this, she composed this entry by herself and she was executive of her own choreography:

The incredible original BELGIUM. And also Loic did everything by himself: Composition, vocals, choreography. A contender for the gold medal:

But I think SWEDEN is the one to beat. Watch this incredible "videoclip", sang by Mans perfectly. Sympathic throughout the entire 3 mins:

Outsider for TOP 5, but still wunderfully staged: ESTONIA. This one gives you goosebumps. Slightly Bond-esque. Pity it has an early draw:

Unique and incredibly staged, "Xena: The Warrior Princess" from GEORGIA. Her real name is Nina and she also composed her own entry:

A goosebump ballad from RUSSIA then? Though not the most original entry, it surely has a lot of emotional resonance. Only setback could be the credibility of the message:

Having said all this, this is my final TOP 14 (left hand side of the scoreboard) prediction of tomorrow's 60th Grand Final of the Eurovision Song Contest:

01. SWEDEN (gold)
    02. BELGIUM (silver)
    03. RUSSIA (bronze)
    04. LATVIA (3rd runner-up)
    05. AUSTRALIA (4th runner-up)
    06. Estonia
    07. Georgia
    08. Norway
    09. Israel
    10. Italy
    ======================
    11. Slovenia
    12. Azerbaijan
    13. Austria
    14. Romania
    But I think SWEDEN is the one to beat. Watch this incredible "videoclip", sang by Mans perfectly. Sympathic throughout the entire 3 mins:

If this really is the best of the lot, it doesn't exactly bode well for the overall quality, does it? What is supposedly great about this? Are the drawn, moving man figures the "big thing"? I can't find much noteworthy with the actual music at least...

But now I have at least faced "the demons of my time" here and now, and listened to a song in this Eurovition. :) It will most probabaly be the last...

I think the last time I watched this Katrina and the Waves won. ;))
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 11,119
    jobo wrote: »

If this really is the best of the lot, it doesn't exactly bode well for the overall quality, does it? What is supposedly great about this? Are the drawn, moving man figures the "big thing"? I can't find much noteworthy with the actual music at least...

But now I have at least faced "the demons of my time" here and now, and listened to a song in this Eurovition. :) It will most probabaly be the last...

The CGI-puppets with this year's Swedish entry are very similar to UK's entry from 1981 when Bucks Fizz' skirts were stripped off. Both Sweden 2015 and UK 1981 had a marvellous act, which people could relate to. It wasn't only about the song, although the song IS important. It was foremost about the best audiovisual experience. Hence UK's win in 1981 and most likely Sweden's 6th win tomorrow. The UK used skirts in 1981, Sweden uses this CGI-puppets:

Once the UK were mastering this art. And I do agree with you that UK 1997 (Katrina & The Waves) was a class act. But then DO send something like that to Eurovision. And not something like this. I prefer Sweden 2015 over this, Latvia 2015 over this, Australia 2015 over this, Estonia 2015 over this and Belgium 2015 over this:

And, if you really don't like all that fuzz. If you don't like skirts being ripped off, CGI-puppets, a bearded lady or 6 old grannies. Then please know that you can also score big with something like this. Netherlands 2014, silver medal. Alas, the UK doesn't do that either:
    Any more predictions for tonight ;-)?
    France will not win. Again. And that scream you'll hear will be Marie Myriam once again lamenting the fact that she was the last French winner (for France, that is ; the last French winner was Corinne Hermes for Luxemburg).
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I'll be watching this tonight. Only seen the UK song and not expecting a great result. Not seen any others as I generally like to wait until the night. However, always a bit of fun.
    Tell me what your TOP 10 prediction will be ;)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Going to a Eurovision party tonight, should be good fun! We've all been allocated a country (je suis la France) and asked to bring a food from our country's origin.

From what I've heard so far, Sweden is pretty good, and the UK entry is (slowly) starting to grow on me. It's good fun I suppose, but it's no Waterloo.
    Going to watch it tonight with my wife. Wonder how I'll survive. If I survive.
    Ludovico wrote: »

It's one of the best grand finals since the 1990's. Don't expect gimmicks, weird dance acts or other circus stagings. The final has got like 17 slow-tempo songs or ballads. And the remainder are mid- or up-tempo. Be openminded for some very good songs (Belgium, Australia, Latvia, Georgia, Sweden, Estonia: class acts!).

It's one of the best grand finals since the 1990's. Don't expect gimmicks, weird dance acts or other circus stagings. The final has got like 17 slow-tempo songs or ballads. And the remainder are mid- or up-tempo. Be openminded for some very good songs (Belgium, Australia, Latvia, Georgia, Sweden, Estonia: class acts!).

I was never a big fan of the show, most of the time it's an Eastern Europe tacky competition.
    OK, gonna admit, Mozart then Beethoven, that's a good start.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2015 Posts: 15,686
    Going to a Eurovision party tonight, should be good fun! We've all been allocated a country (je suis la France) and asked to bring a food from our country's origin.

From what I've heard so far, Sweden is pretty good, and the UK entry is (slowly) starting to grow on me. It's good fun I suppose, but it's no Waterloo.

@MayDayDiVincenzo you're representing my country? I shall put on AVTAK in the blu ray player tomorrow in your honour! :)>-
    The Latvia singer looked like a she-werewolf (were-she wolf?) stuck mid-transformation. Kinda sounded like one too.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there

@MayDayDiVincenzo you're representing my country? I shall put on AVTAK in the blu ray player tomorrow in your honour! :)>-

I shall return the honour- I'll stick my TMWTGG BR in!

Oh, and France was one of my favourites tonight- great stuff!

Has to be Sweden for the win, though!

I've been ranking them as we go-

/10
    Slovenia: 4
    France: 7
    Israel: 5
    Estonia: 3
    GB: 8
    Armenia: 2
    Lithuania: 3
    Serbia: 5
    Noway: 3 (sorry @fingerthunder)
    Sweden: 10
    Cyprus: 2
    Austria: 3
    Belgium: 4
    Austria: 2
    Greece: 3
    Montenegro: 1
    Germany: 3
    Poland: 2
    Latvia: 2
    Romania: 1
    Spain: 2
    Hungary: 2
    Georgia: 2
    Azerbaijan 2
    Russia: 4
    Albania: 2
    Italy: 4

Overall, not too impressed, to be honest.

Most of ballads around middle just sounded samey. And a little boring.

I really dig "Still in love with you" for GB, something a little fun which I thought stood out.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Having said all this, this is my final TOP 14 (left hand side of the scoreboard) prediction of tomorrow's 60th Grand Final of the Eurovision Song Contest:

01. SWEDEN (gold)
    02. BELGIUM (silver)
    03. RUSSIA (bronze)
    04. LATVIA (3rd runner-up)
    05. AUSTRALIA (4th runner-up)
    06. Estonia
    07. Georgia
    08. Norway
    09. Israel
    10. Italy
    ======================
    11. Slovenia
    12. Azerbaijan
    13. Austria
    14. Romania

And the final result:
    01. 365 points: SWEDEN (gold) *exact correct prediction*
    02. 303 points: RUSSIA (silver) *predicted in my TOP 3*
    03. 292 points: ITALY (bronze) *predicted in my TOP 10*
    04. 217 points: BELGIUM (3rd runner-up) *predicted in my TOP 5*
    05. 196 points: AUSTRALIA (4th runner-up) *exact correct prediction*
    06. 186 points: Latvia *predicted in my TOP 10*
    07. 106 points: Estonia *exact correct prediction*
    08. 102 points: Norway *exact correct prediction*
    09. 097 points: Israel *exact correct prediction*
    10. 053 points: Serbia
    ======================
    11. 051 points: Georgia *predicted in my TOP 14*
    12. 049 points: Azerbaijan *exact correct prediction*
    13. 044 points: Montenegro
    14. 039 points: Slovenia *predicted in my TOP 14*

This is my best prediction ever. 9 of my TOP 10 countries ended in the evntual TOP 10. I predicted the rankings of Sweden, Australia, Norway and Israel 100% correct. Estonia and Latvia only one place different compared to my prediction. In the TOP 14 I predicted the exact ranking of Azerbaijan correct. Georgia is just outside the TOP 10, while I had them 7th smile-emoticon. Romania got 15th place, while I had them 14th. Slovenia got 14th place, while I had them 11th. Andddd, Germany last, I had that correct too.

And UK? SEND BETTER SONGS! OK? Be self-critical! Stop making Eurovision ridiculous. Send GOOD songs, good audiovisual experiences :-)!

I was never a big fan of the show, most of the time it's an Eastern Europe tacky competition.

That's just not true! How on Earth can someone in here give UK an 8 out of 10?? I just can't believe that. On top of that, LOOK at the final TOP 5. Only Russia was an "Eastern-European" country. After Netherlands 2nd place last year, our southern neighbours Belgium grab a wunderful 4th place!

Please UK, look at relevant pop music, NOT at dated Eurovision crap.
  • RC7RC7
    Riotous nonsense, as always. Utterly second rate music, but tremendously enjoyable if you're watching with mates and partaking in a sweepstake.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, of mild interest for me. I've never seen any Eurovision competitions (though I've seen the clip of ABBA with their Waterloo, sure). So now I just watched Russia and Sweden. Honestly unimpressed with both, in general. The Russian singer can really sing (but that reminded me of Celine Dion) and I did prefer Russia's song over Sweden's. Sweden's was too gimicky, frankly. And both songs are lacking big time lyrically for me. Hmm. I'll see if I can find Italy's anywhere online later.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Riotous nonsense, as always. Utterly second rate music, but tremendously enjoyable if you're watching with mates and partaking in a sweepstake.

Exactly why I won €973 :-) on various bookies.