Anthony Horowitz, Conan Doyle, Ian Fleming and me (ABC of Australia)

edited May 2015 in Literary 007 Posts: 686
Interview with Anthony Horowitz. Hmmmm. I think Horowitz is a good writer but may miss the point. If Amis and Follett can get why cannot anyone else?

@dragonpol

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podcast/2015/05/bay_20150515_1026.mp3

Comments

• 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Great find!
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 2,594
    Nice interview. Thanks.

"If Amis and Follett can get why cannot anyone else?"

What do you mean? @Perdogg

He likes 'The Walking Dead'! My man! :)
    Bounine wrote: »
    Nice interview. Thanks.

"If Amis and Follett can get why cannot anyone else?"

What do you mean? @Perdogg

He likes 'The Walking Dead'! My man! :)

I do not agree with him when he says Bond is misogynistic and xenophobic. It sounds like he just saying what other people in field want him to say. Also, Bond's view on homosexuality is echoed by the modern Homintern - that it is biological in nature.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 2,594
    I've read the Fleming novels 7 or 8 times and would like to think that I have a decent understanding of the character. While I'd say Bond can be distrustful of woman and doubts their abilities; I wouldn't go so far as to say that he actually hates them. Perhaps he was a little on the racist side, even for that time (some will disagree); I wouldn't say that he was xenophobic though. Journalists/critics enjoy exaggerating. It's also perceptions, perhaps some really believe from reading between the lines and the lines themselves that Bond was genuinely guilty of these undesirable traits. He was definitely chauvinistic though but perhaps not at the time of writing. Horowitz is perhaps analyzing these traits from a modern day perspective in this abundantly overly PC world, and how Bond's behavior would be classified today, but NOT in the 50's.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    We'll put Bounine.