Mother needs me - the Psycho & Bates Motel thread

PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
in General Movies & TV Posts: 3,675
So I decided to create a thread dedicated to Hitchcock's classic 1960 film, its sequels and Bates Motel. You may discuss them here... and perhaps go a little mad sometimes.

normanbates.jpg

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2015 Posts: 15,686
    I've seen the first season of Bates Motel. I thought it was excellent, it's on my to-do list to check out seasons 2 and 3.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I wonder if people know that there was actually a 1987 TV movie called Bates Motel starring, among others, Lori Petty, Jason Bateman, Moses Gunn and Bud Cort. Trust me, it was terrible! The TV series for which served as the pilot never got made. Luckily too, given the fact that Lori Petty spends half the film dressed as a chicken. ;-)

I haven't watched the recent BM series though but I'm hearing a lot of good things about it!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2015 Posts: 13,882
    I was going to mention the 1987 movie. Claims that Norman is dead, if I remember right, only for Norman to be alive and kicking in Psycho IV: The Begininng, 3 years later. I have not seen the series, but I have seen it pop up on B-D.com.

I am not the greatest fan of Psycho, I think of it more of a thriller than a horror film. Psycho II is my favourite of the Psycho series.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I enjoy the TV series a lot. I love how they put in subtle references to the original. Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore are perfectly cast.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I've read on some forums that the original Psycho may have influenced Fleming's The Spy Who Loved Me but I've never seen any concrete evidence of this.
    Season Finale tonight!
    I'd like to know what you guys think of Psycho 2. Most people who haven't watched that film and are told that is exists, respond unfavourably to the notion. But people who have seen the film usually have kind things to say about it. Take me, for example. Of course it's not as good as Hitchcock's original, but I do feel it gets many beats right. Goldsmith's score is beautiful and the acting is overall pretty good.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I actually like Psycho II more than the other films, the original included. Psycho is a good thriller, it just isn't a horror film, imo. Psycho III I don't like, Psycho IV isn't as bad as I have seen people make it out to be.
    Psycho IV stars Olivia Hussey.
    'Nuff said. ;-)
    I can't really talk about the sequels because I haven't seen them in ages, but from what I recall they're pretty good.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Psycho IV stars Olivia Hussey.
    'Nuff said. ;-)

Having Olivia Hussey in the film helps, yes. :D And having Perkins as Norman makes all the difference. It could have been just a prequel, without the contemporary story of the supposedly cured Norman.
    I wonder if Freddie Highmore (Norman on "Bates Motel") ever tries to emulate Perkins?
    I watched a few episodes of BM but has just not gotten back around to continuing. I rally need to go back and watch rest of Season 1 and take on Season 2. One of these days....

I like Fariaga who plays Norma Bates. Loved her in "The Conjuring" and she is a top notch actress (and not bad to look at either)
    Kid playing Norman is good too.
    And of course our old pal Nestor Carbonnell from the glory days of "Lost"
    Well... that did not disappoint. Commence withdrawal.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 372
    I´ve seen the first two sequels, which I quite liked. Had no idea that Olivia Hussey was in the fourth one so I might check it out.

Bates Motel is an alright tv show in my opinion, but I can´t accept it as having a direct link to the original 1960 Psycho. Some things, such as the relationship between Norman and his mother, are better left untold. Knowing the details takes away from the tension in the original story. That mistake has more often been made. It actually reminds me of The Innocents/The Nightcomers in the sense that they're both high quality products, but the latter wasn't really necessary.
    I agree that what prevents me from getting into this series, is that I don't want every detail of the Bates mystery from Psycho expanded to the length of a full episode. Sometimes, what isn't said or show is most interesting.
    I've never seen Bates Motel, but Psycho is one of my favorite movies. I have all the sequels too. I liked them all, but I don't really consider them "canon". The 4th one was interesting but it sort of ruined the mystique of Norman's childhood.
    Goodbye Bates Motel.
    Goodbye Bates Motel.

Is that it over?
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I'd like to know what you guys think of Psycho 2. Most people who haven't watched that film and are told that is exists, respond unfavourably to the notion. But people who have seen the film usually have kind things to say about it. Take me, for example. Of course it's not as good as Hitchcock's original, but I do feel it gets many beats right. Goldsmith's score is beautiful and the acting is overall pretty good.

I really enjoy psycho 2. It is a lot better than it has any right to be. Perkins is the jewel in the crown but the film is also made with quite a bit of reverence and style. It ramps up the gore but it has a solid narrative, credible character motivation (which is saying a lot for a sequel in the horror genre!) and also uses he character of Norman particularly well. You're right - Goldsmith's score elevates proceedings as well. I'd say the only part the irritates me is the twist finale. I realise why they did it but it's the only time when things feel very gimmicky in the film and the ramifications of the reveal makes it feel like it is the one part of the film that is careless with the mythology.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited April 2017 Posts: 3,985

Love it @DarthDimi

I only saw this again a few months back and it has stood the test of time very well. Perkins is brilliant in it and really garners sympathy in his portrayal of poor old Norman.

It has a good tight script and some good shocks along the way.

Well directed by Richard Franklin (whatever happened to him?) with just the right amount of homage and respect to the original.

And yep the score is radically different to Herrmanns but is just as excellent. The main theme is really beautiful and sad.

I remember seeing it at the cinema way back in 83' and falling head over hills in love with Meg Tilly who plays Mary !
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Goodbye Bates Motel.

Is that it over?

Yes, sadly. :(
    Goodbye Bates Motel.

Is that it over?

How many seasons did it run to?

I've seen the first Psycho (1960) film, but none of the rest.
    I could watch these opening titles on loop:

Goodbye Bates Motel.

Is that it over?

How many seasons did it run to?

I've seen the first Psycho (1960) film, but none of the rest.

BAIN123 wrote: »
    I could watch these opening titles on loop:

Those titles are classic! Love 'em to bits.
    Get Bates Motel The Complete Series on Blu-ray for just £25 on Amazon.co.uk as opposed to £92.72 on Amazon.com. Must be a pricing error! I'm very pleased with myself. Universal issues region free discs I think.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bates-Motel-Seasons-1-5-Blu-ray/dp/B074WMSYL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506381224&sr=8-1&keywords=bates+motel