Arise, Sir Brucie.

MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
edited October 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 13,894
<i>Entertainer Sir Bruce Forsyth has collected his knighthood from the Queen for services to entertainment.

The 83-year-old said he had been in showbusiness for 70 years, to which the Queen expressed surprise.

Forsyth began his career as a teenager and is now best known as the host of Strictly Come Dancing.

The star said after his investiture that it was "absolutely wonderful" to receive his knighthood, adding he had no plans to retire.

"Entertaining - it's been the only thing I've ever wanted to do and I've done it for many, many years. Who feels like quitting? I want to go on," he said.

Sir Bruce also praised the press for mounting a campaign for him to be given a knighthood.

In June when his honour was announced in the Queen's Birthday Honours List, he told the BBC receiving it meant "everything" to him, adding he was "very proud my career hasn't been in vain".

"When I got the CBE there'd been speculation every year and I think there's been too much talk about it, so I'm thrilled at last it has happened," he said.

"I just love getting out there and performing and this is a reward that I never expected and hope I'm worthy of."

The star spent years travelling the country before he got his big break in 1958 - when he was asked to host TV series Sunday Night at the London Palladium.

At that stage, he had been on the point of quitting showbusiness, but he was so popular the original two-week stint ended up lasting for five years.

In the 60s Celia Birtwell dressed stars such as the Beatles and Twiggy
He went on to present game shows The Generation Game and Play Your Cards Right and became known for his catchprase, "nice to see you, to see you, nice".</i>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15270608

My congratulations to Brucie. I can't believe he's 83... <i>83</i>.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,350
    A long time coming and well worth it. Well done Sir Bruce. He's looking great for 83 years young, so fit as well. He seems to have limitless energy. If only I can be so lucky at his age.
    Well deserved and overdue, impho.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It certainly broke the trend that saw anyone in light entertainment being ignored despite years of TV actors, non-resident pop stars and ex-footballers being considered worthy enough.

Of all the great entertainers on British TV only Harry Seacombe before Bruce has been knighted.
    "SEVENTY!!!!!"

Oh I loved that. Good old queen
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    "Niiiice to see you your Majesty. To see you niiice."

A more fitting knighthood to one of Britain's top entertainers I cannot think.
    As NicNac pointed out though, far to many of these true stalwarts of the industry are overlooked.
  • Brucie's toupee was knighted in 1987, so I fail to see why it took so long for Brucie!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Welcome to MI6 Community, CaptainFlandry. You can introduce yourself here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/13/new-members-introduce-yourself#Item_414
  • I think people who watch him should get an award.

I remember him fronting shows on tv in the early 60s (if not the late 50s) - his act hasn't changed a bit, only the silly catchphrases.

Recently someone suggested supporting any effort to get Des O'Connor a knighthood, although not a fan, I feel he's a lot more deserving than Brucie, and he does move with the times by changing his act (not just his catchphrases).