SPECTRE and HYDRA - The public consciousness

2»

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Murdock wrote: »
    Nobody needs to change anything. It's a logo. They are similar in design. They serve the purposes of both respective franchises. This is nothing to get worked up over. People cry over such mundane details these days. True fans of the material will know the origins. 8-|

I stand by this.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Seconded.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Nobody needs to change anything. It's a logo. They are similar in design. They serve the purposes of both respective franchises. This is nothing to get worked up over. People cry over such mundane details these days. True fans of the material will know the origins. 8-|

Well said. All that needs to be said too.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I feel special all of a sudden. Am I the new Blofeld? =))
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

If so, I gladly take the position of Number 3, because who wants to be Number 2?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

If so, I gladly take the position of Number 3, because who wants to be Number 2?
    Only those with a desire to wear an eyepatch. ;)
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 676
    Stan Lee did in fact base Hydra on SPECTRE. But regardless of the public's knowledge of this fact, including SPECTRE's octopus logo in the last film was a bad idea.

The logo looks like a straight rip-off of Hydra - and although we can all whine about how that's not the case and insist the public need to "educate" themselves, it is what it is. EON should have anticipated this popular misconception and not included the octopus logo at all. It's certainly not an essential part of the organization (indeed, the rings are rather silly). There was no reason to include the logo and its inclusion was just one of several misjudged creative decisions made by EON when reintroducing SPECTRE (or Spectre, I guess it's not an acronym anymore - another mistake!).
  • Milovy wrote: »
    Stan Lee did in fact base Hydra on SPECTRE. But regardless of the public's knowledge of this fact, including SPECTRE's octopus logo in the last film was a bad idea.

The logo looks like a straight rip-off of Hydra - and although we can all whine about how that's not the case and insist the public need to "educate" themselves, it is what it is. EON should have anticipated this popular misconception and not included the octopus logo at all. It's certainly not an essential part of the organization (indeed, the rings are rather silly). There was no reason to include the logo and its inclusion was just one of several misjudged creative decisions made by EON when reintroducing SPECTRE (or Spectre, I guess it's not an acronym anymore - another mistake!).

re: SPECTRE, acronym or not. Gregg Wilson, in a 2015 interview, indicated they were deliberately vague whether it was or was not an acronym. Go to 1:33 mark. "It is open to interpretation."

• edited March 2017 Posts: 676
    I see nothing in the film to suggest that it's an acronym. If it's revealed to be an acronym in a future film, what's the point of that? It's not like it will be exciting or interesting to learn that "Spectre" stands for something a few years from now. Surely you would share that info with the audience when the organization is introduced.