Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

chrisisall wrote: »
    00Beast wrote: »

1. From Russia with Love
    2. Tomorrow Never Dies
    I feel I must congratulate you on a stellar top two (so far). =D>
    So completely different yet both amazingly entertaining.

Indeed! Thank you, sir! I've always enjoyed FRWL and TND. They are practically polar opposites on every level, yet I adore both as series favorites. Funny how that can happen!
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    He's ok in LALD but I can't stand him in MWTGG.

I feel the same way; I thought he had a couple funny lines in LALD, and he fit the weird mood of the film.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    FoxRox wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    He's ok in LALD but I can't stand him in MWTGG.

I feel the same way; I thought he had a couple funny lines in LALD, and he fit the weird mood of the film.

'weird mood'?
    The Man with the Golden Gun

Truthfully, TMWTGG stands as one of my favorite Bond movies. No, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, considering the fact that the plot holes abound and there are some absurd, outlandish elements, but that's the nature of the Bond series. Sometimes, you simply enjoy a movie that probably has no reason for a defense. I take that back, though, because TMWTGG does contain many redeeming features, namely, one of Roger's greatest performances, a superb main villain, a pretty catchy score, excellent set work, and fascinating location work, particularly Scaramanga's island. Additionally- and not to challenge your claim or anything like that, @DaltonCraig007- I didn't really find any problems with the pace. For me, it went by quickly and kept me entertained the entire time. I focused on the scene-to-scene transitions particularly and did not notice any issues with the flow of the movie. Perhaps we can discuss that one! Overall, TMWTGG continues to surprise as me as one of my increasingly rising favorites.

2014/2015 Winter/Spring Bondathon

1. From Russia with Love
    2. Tomorrow Never Dies
    3. Diamonds Are Forever
    4. The Man with the Golden Gun
    5. Thunderball
    6. Live and Let Die
    7. The Living Daylights
    8. The Spy Who Loved Me
    9. You Only Live Twice

*switched position of TLD and LALD after realizing that I actually like LALD a little better, as well as TSWLM and YOLT for the same reason*
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    This bond-a-thon is on hold until I put this disappointment behind me. Tragic, absolutely tragic.
    It's just one viewing, man! Once I watched TND and found it less than amazing, and I though it might fall in my rankings, but I re-watched it a week later & it rose back to # 2 all over again!

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @00Beast what cause me problem is the long moments without any music. Like the car chase with Peppah, or the fights in the school. The directing from Hamilton was already not very exciting, so some lush music from Barry could have helped. I have really no explanation, the scenes didn't flow very well and I kept waiting for the next action scene or badass moment from Sir Rog.

Alright @chrisisall, I'll watch the film again soon, and hopefully, as you said, it will be better!

As for the good news, my Bondathon is back on track: I've just finished TSWLM. Moore is in a bit of a transition here, he's still quite the cold, ruthless Bond in some scenes (when he tells XXX he killed her lover, when he shoots Stromberg), but his Rogering is seriously showing this time 'round, especially during the desert scenes. I have some problems with the soundtrack, which is a bit weird for my taste, however the music during the Pyramids scene is very good. The sets here are amazing, the Liparus is very impressive. I made a ranking in the 'simple ranking thread', and this film wasn't in it - it's now firmly in it. Epic 2 hours of entertainement. However, I now found my most irritating Bond girl. Yes, even worse than Christmas Jones and Jinx, I give you: Major Amasova! As for the final battle, this is my favorite in the franchise, pure and utter epicness for 20 minutes.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    DAF. This is, by far, the stupidest and most nonsensical Bond film. Yes, even compared to MR and DAD. But, I just can't hate a film where the uber cool Connery is having the time of his life for 2 hours. While the plot is epicly dumb, the dialogue is amongst the finest in the series, and it's IMO the most quotable outing in the franchise. Charles Gray must be the least threatening villain, not only in a Bond film, but in movie history, but he also seems to enjoy himself and hams it up so much he becomes hugely hilarious, despite his uselessness as a villain. I have no idea if the film intends to be a continuation of the 1960's or the start of a new decade, as it's so much a mixture of both decades it's impossible to class in in either. The special effects are laughable, the car chase is an insult to what the series has achieved before and since, but you can't help to laugh with the film, and these scenes are greatly helped by a masterful soundtrack by John Barry. Also, this film is never boring. The scenes move at a quick pace, and I never see the time pass as I quote the dialogue and laugh every 30 seconds.

MayDay and I had a fun debate on DAF in another thread.

I agree with much of the review here. DAF is so over-the-top bad that it us in its own class, and I can't help but love it.

Other great lines:

I didn't know there was a pool down there.

You just killed James Bond.

Tell him he's fired!

Wrong pussy.

Blow up your pants.

Would you settle for a tulip?

She's rather attractive...for a woman.

You stupid twit, you put in the right one.
    @00Beast what cause me problem is the long moments without any music. Like the car chase with Peppah, or the fights in the school. The directing from Hamilton was already not very exciting, so some lush music from Barry could have helped. I have really no explanation, the scenes didn't flow very well and I kept waiting for the next action scene or badass moment from Sir Rog.

Alright @chrisisall, I'll watch the film again soon, and hopefully, as you said, it will be better!

As for the good news, my Bondathon is back on track: I've just finished TSWLM. Moore is in a bit of a transition here, he's still quite the cold, ruthless Bond in some scenes (when he tells XXX he killed her lover, when he shoots Stromberg), but his Rogering is seriously showing this time 'round, especially during the desert scenes. I have some problems with the soundtrack, which is a bit weird for my taste, however the music during the Pyramids scene is very good. The sets here are amazing, the Liparus is very impressive. I made a ranking in the 'simple ranking thread', and this film wasn't in it - it's now firmly in it. Epic 2 hours of entertainement. However, I now found my most irritating Bond girl. Yes, even worse than Christmas Jones and Jinx, I give you: Major Amasova! As for the final battle, this is my favorite in the franchise, pure and utter epicness for 20 minutes.

WOW! You really do get through the films quickly, even with the unfortunate news of TMWTGG being lower in your rankings. Even though I don't personally rate the film, I feel your pain. It's never a good feeling when an entry you always loved just doesn't impress like it used to. Happened to me recently with GE.
    TripAces wrote: »
    DAF. This is, by far, the stupidest and most nonsensical Bond film. Yes, even compared to MR and DAD. But, I just can't hate a film where the uber cool Connery is having the time of his life for 2 hours. While the plot is epicly dumb, the dialogue is amongst the finest in the series, and it's IMO the most quotable outing in the franchise. Charles Gray must be the least threatening villain, not only in a Bond film, but in movie history, but he also seems to enjoy himself and hams it up so much he becomes hugely hilarious, despite his uselessness as a villain. I have no idea if the film intends to be a continuation of the 1960's or the start of a new decade, as it's so much a mixture of both decades it's impossible to class in in either. The special effects are laughable, the car chase is an insult to what the series has achieved before and since, but you can't help to laugh with the film, and these scenes are greatly helped by a masterful soundtrack by John Barry. Also, this film is never boring. The scenes move at a quick pace, and I never see the time pass as I quote the dialogue and laugh every 30 seconds.

MayDay and I had a fun debate on DAF in another thread.

I agree with much of the review here. DAF is so over-the-top bad that it us in its own class, and I can't help but love it.

Other great lines:

I didn't know there was a pool down there.

You just killed James Bond.

Tell him he's fired!

Wrong pussy.

Blow up your pants.

Would you settle for a tulip?

She's rather attractive...for a woman.

You stupid twit, you put in the right one.

It's been a good 4-5 months since I last saw (part of) DAF and I still don't feel prepared to watch it again even tho I have the dvd. I just remains me too much of the Adam West Batman TV series, kinda like how SF apparently reminds people of the Nolan films.
    I know I'm late, but I love J.W.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2015 Posts: 15,686
    I just finished MR. I'm afraid the review will come in the morning, it's 1am here and I have to get up at 5am for the Formula 1 coverage on TV, so I'm going to bed pronto!
    TMWTGG is the most underrated Bond film of all time! Moore is very relaxed on this one, the story and the direction is superb and the overall atmosphere is just amazing. I just don't see why people find it bad, really...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Kostas_P wrote: »
    TMWTGG is the most underrated Bond film of all time! Moore is very relaxed on this one, the story and the direction is superb and the overall atmosphere is just amazing. I just don't see why people find it bad, really...
    It's totally enjoyable IMHO. Quirky & fun. Plus, Brit in a bikini... a LOT.
    =D>
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Kostas_P wrote: »
    It's totally enjoyable IMHO. Quirky & fun. Plus, Brit in a bikini... a LOT.
    =D>

100% agreed. TMWTGG is and has always been one of my favourite Bond movies. Such good fun and as you've noted atmospheric, with great cinematography and Moore at the top of his game looking better than ever and having a whale of a time.
    Alright, MR review. Moore is in full Rogering mode. I've never seen someone so clearly enjoy himself for 2 hours. Moore has a huge grin on his face the whole film. Ironically, MR features IMO his greatest acting moment as Bond - when he escapes the centrifuge near-death experience. The story is absolute bonkers, but oh so entertaining. The cinematography is glorious, and it was expected as the globe trotting is epic in this outing. The 2nd half of the film starting with Venice, flows very well, and I was not bored at any moment. I kept waiting for the next badass momeny from Moore, and the next track of the very lush Barry soundtrack. I must note that I thought the gondola chase, while utterly hilarious, I found much more OTT than the infamous parasurfing scene in DAD. The gondola scens is just one WTF moment after the other- it turns into a hovercraft? a double taking pidgeon? I'd rank MR just behind TSWLM. Pure, epic Rogering Bond entertainement.

As for TMWTGG, I was probably just not in the mood. Watching the films in order, you have no say on which outing you see next. So as soon as I feel in the mood I'll watch TMWTGG. So don't worry guys. ;) It was probably just a one-off disappointing rewatch.
    Sparing a few scenes in MR (Jaws turning good, the gondola scene, space scenes) it could have been the ultimate Bond film! The soundtrack is amazing, it fits so well! The places, the villain, the fights are all perfect IMHO. But, unfortunately, the producers decided to make it sort of comedy and ruined the whole thing.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited April 2015 Posts: 5,080
    Moonraker is my least favourite Moore film by a country mile, but there are some truly wonderful scenes in that film, nonetheless.
    I just finished FYEO. Glen is my favorite Bond director, so I am always happy when I reach his era. Moore has aged a lot, but for the better - he looks and acts like a world weary gentleman/spy in his last 3 outings. Glen is finding his marks as a director, but hits the target right in the middle with his first outing. What I love about him is his style, the 'low key cinematography, expertly shot plane sequences and car chases. The only downside here is the underwater sequences, which are even more boring than in TB. What's interesting about Glen is his absolute deadpan delivery of the OTT campy stuff. Take the last scene with Maggie Tatcher for instance. It's as if Glen directed it as if it were a normal serious scene. If it were Hamilton or Gilbert, the scene would be 10 times more campy. There's a lot of camp in the 1980's, but as I will probably write in my review for OP (I'm starting the movie in a few minutes), Glen is oblivious to the camp stuff. To make a comparison, Glen is a bit the Daniel Craig of the directors, keeping a straight face even when Bond has to dress up as a clown. As for other areas of FYEO, I think this is one of the best relationship between Bond and the main Bond girl. There really is a sense of mutual respect and sweet romance between the two. Also, I know it's not well liked, but I appreciate Conti's score. Not as timeless as Barry's, but a nice 'time-capsule' music of the 1980's.

Next up. OP. Time to get some chips and a drink and you'll get my thoughts in about 2 hours time.
    I just finished FYEO. Glen is my favorite Bond director, so I am always happy when I reach his era. Moore has aged a lot, but for the better - he looks and acts like a world weary gentleman/spy in his last 3 outings. Glen is finding his marks as a director, but hits the target right in the middle with his first outing. What I love about him is his style, the 'low key cinematography, expertly shot plane sequences and car chases. The only downside here is the underwater sequences, which are even more boring than in TB. What's interesting about Glen is his absolute deadpan delivery of the OTT campy stuff. Take the last scene with Maggie Tatcher for instance. It's as if Glen directed it as if it were a normal serious scene. If it were Hamilton or Gilbert, the scene would be 10 times more campy. There's a lot of camp in the 1980's, but as I will probably write in my review for OP (I'm starting the movie in a few minutes), Glen is oblivious to the camp stuff. To make a comparison, Glen is a bit the Daniel Craig of the directors, keeping a straight face even when Bond has to dress up as a clown. As for other areas of FYEO, I think this is one of the best relationship between Bond and the main Bond girl. There really is a sense of mutual respect and sweet romance between the two. Also, I know it's not well liked, but I appreciate Conti's score. Not as timeless as Barry's, but a nice 'time-capsule' music of the 1980's.

Next up. OP. Time to get some chips and a drink and you'll get my thoughts in about 2 hours time.

Cannot wait! great review, Keep it up.
    ;)
    Hey! Another MR fan! Nice review @DaltonCraig007, now it's time for us to grab our heftiest shields and hold them firm against the rest of the forum.
    @DaltonCraig007 I am loving your reviews, what I like about them is you mostly focus on the positives of each film and you can tell there is something you like in every Bond film.

I feel the same, I enjoy every Bond film and even in my least favourite entry (DAD) I find something that I like.
    Yeah. Since I became a fan of the series at such a young age there isn't a single film that I downright dislike/hate. Even my least favorite entries have something to offer me, and I can find some enjoyment in them.

Hell, I straight up love over half of them. A good 16
    Yeah. Since I became a fan of the series at such a young age there isn't a single film that I downright dislike/hate. Even my least favorite entries have something to offer me, and I can find some enjoyment in them.

Hell, I straight up love over half of them. A good 16

My thoughts exactly, I love the majority too.

Double review this time: I've just finished OP and AVTAK.

First off, OP. While Sir Rog looks his most glorious in TMWTGG, it's in this outing I find he looks the best. He's 55, sure, but he appears splendid for his age, and commands utter respect and confidence in every scene. This is truly the Bond (character, not the actor) I'd love to meet in real life. He seems to be the most knowlegeable Bond, displaying flawless spanish in FYEO and german in OP. Now, as I've done for the previous 2 Bond's, this is where Moore's definitive Bond moment is: the entire chase for the Bond in germany. Moore plays it dead straight, even in a clown suit, and displays splendid acting when confronting Orlov. And the tension is amongst the best in the entire franchise. I've seen this film dozen of times, I am still on the edge of my suit as Moore tries to get to the bomb in the circus. This film is very much the best of both worlds - a fantastical and humorous first half in India, and a dead serious cold war thriller in germany.

Next stop: AVTAK. @MayDaydiVincenzo's love for this outing has sure infected me, because I've never had this much fun watching this film, and it rockets straight in my top 5! I had no problem with Moore's looks, it only took a few scenes to adjust to it, but he still looks very good for his age, and is still his usual charming, lovable self. The acting is wonderful here, Walken and Grace Jones are amongt my favorite villains, they are so much fun to watch. Barry hits his stride here, only to surpass is in his final outing. He really did bow out on a high note. The pacing of this film is excellent, I hardly believed it when I reached the mine climax, the film went by like a bullet. I also have no problem with Sutton. Not the best girl, but a fun little damsel in distress, and this type of girl suits Sir Rog very well.

I will continue with TLD tonight.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 7,967
    DR No
    This is one that gets forgotten by a lot of casual fans. The formula isn't down yet and that puts some people off, but those who make the effort will find a lot to like in DR No. First off, Connery is King. There's something commanding about him. He spends most of the film ordering people around. Quarrel, Honey, the cab driver. He even gets captured and when they take him back to base he starts barking orders at the guards! And even weirder, THEY DO WHAT HE SAYS!!

Everything you'd expect from a bond film is here and it's first rate. You have one of the coolest scenes of the series (Bond's introduction), one of the sexiest moments (Honey Rider's entrance), one of the deadliest scenes (the spider in the bed), and one of the most brutal (Dent's execution). You've got one of the best Felix Lieters, one of the best allies in Quarrel... like I said, a lot to like. DR No is one of the most underrated villains. I love the way he says 'stupid' over and over.

Besides the score which I personally find unbearable at times (I do like the songs), DR No is a first class bond adventure (With this latest viewing it has pushed into my top 5). Definitely not for any mood but perfect if you're in the right one.

Yes @Mendes4Lyfe, Connery giving orders to the guards at the end is friggin awesome! "Hey, you! Get these cuffs off me!" And when everything explodes, he yells at people to tell him where Honey is, and if they don't answer, he beats them to a pulp!
    Nice reviews @DaltonCraig007. Nice to see another AVTAK fan as well. A few of your highlights about OP are reasons I love it also.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 7,967
    Double review this time: I've just finished OP and AVTAK.

First off, OP. While Sir Rog looks his most glorious in TMWTGG, it's in this outing I find he looks the best. He's 55, sure, but he appears splendid for his age, and commands utter respect and confidence in every scene. This is truly the Bond (character, not the actor) I'd love to meet in real life. He seems to be the most knowlegeable Bond, displaying flawless spanish in FYEO and german in OP. Now, as I've done for the previous 2 Bond's, this is where Moore's definitive Bond moment is: the entire chase for the Bond in germany. Moore plays it dead straight, even in a clown suit, and displays splendid acting when confronting Orlov. And the tension is amongst the best in the entire franchise. I've seen this film dozen of times, I am still on the edge of my suit as Moore tries to get to the bomb in the circus. This film is very much the best of both worlds - a fantastical and humorous first half in India, and a dead serious cold war thriller in germany.

Next stop: AVTAK. @MayDaydiVincenzo's love for this outing has sure infected me, because I've never had this much fun watching this film, and it rockets straight in my top 5! I had no problem with Moore's looks, it only took a few scenes to adjust to it, but he still looks very good for his age, and is still his usual charming, lovable self. The acting is wonderful here, Walken and Grace Jones are amongt my favorite villains, they are so much fun to watch. Barry hits his stride here, only to surpass is in his final outing. He really did bow out on a high note. The pacing of this film is excellent, I hardly believed it when I reached the mine climax, the film went by like a bullet. I also have no problem with Sutton. Not the best girl, but a fun little damsel in distress, and this type of girl suits Sir Rog very well.

I will continue with TLD tonight.

@DaltonCraig007 I am also a big fan of the Glen era. I find Octopussy to be one of Moore's best and a good demonstration of his more serious side. That being said, I also enjoy some of the silliness.
    Unfortunately both these films have a reputation of being lesser entries, especially on sites like rotten tomatoes where they are rated bottom. I have no idea why, for me the combination of Barry's score, Glen's direction, great performances and stunning set pieces make this a brilliant period for the series!

TLD is another top 5 bond film for me, so I will eagerly await your thoughts on that one, cheers! :)>-
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 205
    Watched MR last night simply because I felt like it. Whenever I feel like just relaxing after a long day and having some fun, it's usually DAF, MR and OP I turn to. And it was as much fun as all the other times I've seen it. It never really fails to put me in a good mood and even the more ridiculous elements like the gondola chase make me smirk.

Mind you, this wasn't always the case. I didn't fall in love with MR the first time I saw it. It took me a few views before I truly "got it", but I have enjoyed it ever since. It's just 2 hours of big, bombastic, cartoonish and campy fun. You get to visit one exotic location after the next, see amazingly designed sets and experience some of the best action sequences in the entire series. It never fails to impress me just how GOOD the movie looks and how beautiful and lavish all the locations are.

It's not by any means a masterpiece, it's somewhat bloated, the plot is basically a carbon copy of TSWLM, jaws finding love just doesn't work and some of the jokes are too cheesy for even Roger Moore to pull off, but in the end none of it matters because the movie sets out to do one thing and one thing only: to provide you with 2 hours of pure escapist fun that you can walk away from with a big smile on your face. And I for one think it succeeds completely in that regard. You can go into it expecting it to be something it's not and you will come back ready to rip it apart with hatred, but if you just let go of any pretenses, embracing the movie for what it is, and just go along for the journey it's trying to take you on, then I promise you, it's a fun one.

8/10
    Just finished TLD. I'll starts by saying this: Timothy Dalton is one of the biggest legends in movie history! The guy rocks my world from the moment his face appears on screen. As soon as he turns towards the camera, I know this new Bond is the real deal. I do love Moore but after 7 films it was time to change. Dalton is intense like no other. This is my 2nd favorite Bond intro after Connery in DN. Dalton doesn't even speak until after the action sequence is over, and he didn't need to say a word for me to completely accept him as Bond. The guy is utterly suave, has acting talent in the bucket loads (just look at his eyes when he blows up the balloon after Saunders dies), and is one proper badass. The definitive Bond moment for Dalton is a collection of 2 moments - the sniper scene and the Pushkin interrogation scene. Barry leaves on an all time high, with one of my favorite soundtracks, and not only for the Bond franchise, but for any movie. The plot is amongst my favorite in the franchise, the closest any outing has been to FRWL - a pure cold war spy thriller. This movie really excites me because I find Dalton to be even better in LTK, where he lets his badass self go full throttle.

This is it for me today, I'll continue tomorrow with LTK and the Brosnan films.