The Fast and the Furious (2001 - present)

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Just left the cinema. OK, WTF, this was good. Emotional resonant.
    @Gustav_Graves did you see the SPECTRE trailer?
    ;)
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 11,119
    jake24 wrote: »
    Just left the cinema. OK, WTF, this was good. Emotional resonant.
    @Gustav_Graves did you see the SPECTRE trailer?
    ;)

Absolutely! "SPECTRE" in that sense can not be compared with "Furious 7". But I do think people should see the film. I really liked it. My friend and I couldn't stop laughing. Not just about the insane stunt sequences, but also about the interaction and chemistry within the "Fast & Furious"-team.

The end was very nice though. Sometimes a bit sentimental, but that aerial shot where you see Paul Walker's white sportscar, also dressed in white, turning to the left of a road, and Vin Diesel to the right road.....was really nicely done. There were also quite a few funeral sequences at the start of the film.

I really advise everyone to see the film. You won't be disappointed. I also believe that "Furious 7" will be an unprecedented box office success for the franchise. Expect the movie to be in the TOP 20 of this list - http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/ - which is, after "The Dark Knight", quite unusual for a non-sci-fi, non-3D film. I expect an opening weekend of $125 Million.
    http://pro.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2015-04-03-north-america-thursday-night-report-furious-7-races-to-huge-158m-off-the-line

Told you all. "Furious 7" will really kick off this year's box office craziness, being the first potential "1 Billion Dollar film".
  • GoldenballGoldenball United States
    The Spectre trailer at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood, was greeted with enthusiastic applause, but then the audience was pumped anyway, so it made me think: the crowd that loves this series, love Dannyboy, too.
    Goldenball wrote: »
    The Spectre trailer at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood, was greeted with enthusiastic applause, but then the audience was pumped anyway, so it made me think: the crowd that loves this series, love Dannyboy, too.

I completely forgot! Here in Barcelona "Furious 7" was preceded by the trailers from: "Avengers 2", "Pixels" andddd "SPECTRE" :-P!
    It was fun, entertaining and rather stupid in several scenes. I forgot that Paul Walker was into martial arts.
    I didn't like the first Fast And Furious film. At all. Thought it was a crappy Point Break rip off. The second one wasn't much better and Tokyo Drift felt like a direct to DVD sequel with a big budget. Still, I watched the fourth one, and although it had its moments, I still wasn't a big fan. Thought it took itself too seriously for what it was.

So, honestly, I was never a Fast And Furious fan. But then Fast Five came along. And Fast Five was amazing. It was a fantastic, fun action movie that changed the franchise into what it is now: gloriously over the top throwbacks to old school action films. The impossible stunts, the awesome one liners, and no pretentiousness or half arsed attempts at social commentary that have bogged down many big budget action films since The Dark Knight (which I loved, but which too many films try and fail to be, look at Man Of Steel) came out. These films know what they are and don't try to be anything more. They're brilliant blockbusters.

So while I didn't like the franchise for the first 10 years it was around, Fast Five and Fast and Furious 6 have made me a fan, and I can't wait to see the new one.
    I didn't like the first Fast And Furious film. At all. Thought it was a crappy Point Break rip off. The second one wasn't much better and Tokyo Drift felt like a direct to DVD sequel with a big budget. Still, I watched the fourth one, and although it had its moments, I still wasn't a big fan. Thought it took itself too seriously for what it was.

So, honestly, I was never a Fast And Furious fan. But then Fast Five came along. And Fast Five was amazing. It was a fantastic, fun action movie that changed the franchise into what it is now: gloriously over the top throwbacks to old school action films. The impossible stunts, the awesome one liners, and no pretentiousness or half arsed attempts at social commentary that have bogged down many big budget action films since The Dark Knight (which I loved, but which too many films try and fail to be, look at Man Of Steel) came out. These films know what they are and don't try to be anything more. They're brilliant blockbusters.

So while I didn't like the franchise for the first 10 years it was around, Fast Five and Fast and Furious 6 have made me a fan, and I can't wait to see the new one.

Here's a great article about how plausible the must noticeable action sequence from "Furious 7" is :-P:
    http://www.vulture.com/2015/04/could-furious-7s-skyscraper-jump-really-happen.html?mid=imdb

And...it IS actually more plausible than many of us think hehe.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yeah, that driving off the cliff scene was bat-shit bananas. Screw physical traumas these people should have suffered, the shock from some of these stunts would have killed them. Great movie and I love it. I just hope with SP even though we appear to be getting some great action, I hope they're of a decent length and not over in 10 seconds.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Yeah, that driving off the cliff scene was bat-shit bananas. Screw physical traumas these people should have suffered, the shock from some of these stunts would have killed them. Great movie and I love it. I just hope with SP even though we appear to be getting some great action, I hope they're of a decent length and not over in 10 seconds.

You've seen "Furious 7" @Doubleoego ? I was laughing my balls off. So ridiculously funny hehe. The bith fight between Michelle Rodriguez and Ronda Rousey I loved the most during that party scene in the skycraper.

You've seen "Furious 7" @Doubleoego ? I was laughing my balls off. So ridiculously funny hehe. The bith fight between Michelle Rodriguez and Ronda Rousey I loved the most during that party scene in the skycraper.

Yeah I saw it on Saturday. It was a very good movie...very entertaining and the stunts were incredible. OTT but definitely incredible. Tyrese' Roman character steals every scene he's in. Double Alpha lol.
    The cat fight was good but for the past 3 movies, I've felt that Brian has had the best fight scenes. These guys all have god-like timing when it comes to avoiding death. It's hilarious but oh so thrilling.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 11,119

Yeah I saw it on Saturday. It was a very good movie...very entertaining and the stunts were incredible. OTT but definitely incredible. Tyrese' Roman character steals every scene he's in. Double Alpha lol.
    The cat fight was good but for the past 3 movies, I've felt that Brian has had the best fight scenes. These guys all have god-like timing when it comes to avoiding death. It's hilarious but oh so thrilling.

Some pictures from last week's red carpet premiere of "Furious 7":

Dwayne Johnson (Uhm, he looks damn stylish in this three-piece suit):
    Dwayne-Johnson-Furious-7-Los-Angeles-Movie-Premiere-Red-Carpet-Fashion-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-TLO-1.jpg

"Furious"-girl Nathalie Emmanuel:
    14279838224755.jpg?w=746&h=1024

With Ludacris and "Furious"-girl Michelle Rodriguez:
    furious-7-red-carpet-040215.jpg

And Luke Evans & Jason Statham:
    Furious-7-LA-Premiere-Menswear-Roundup.jpg

And two videos, including a great speech from Vin Diesel:

Oh yes and Nathalie Emmanuel's Bond girl out of the sea moment.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Off to see it now. I'll report back later tonight.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 820
    I seen on Friday it was great. Jason Straham drove 3 cars trading his Transporter Audi W12 for Jag Maserati & an aston. He drove the V12 Aston Martin DB9. Yes he destroyed it. So why don't you that criticise that? I hope movies to come Astons Bentley & Jag current model do get destroy in other movies like Fast & Furious. Good one Jason
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited April 2015 Posts: 4,399
    i saw Furious 7 over the weekend... here are my thoughts after first viewing..

1.) I felt like the beginning rushed way too quickly through Deckard's path of destruction, the death of Han, Dom going to Tokyo.. it felt way too jumpy.... and just my personal opinion, I thought the first confrontation between Dom and Deckard a bit unnecessary, i would've preferred a slow build to their final showdown instead of teasing us, then saving the fight for the end..

2.) The story felt unbalanced and incomplete - but - thats perfectly understandable considering the passing of Paul Walker.. it is unknown what his death effected from the original script, and what was probably removed in order for them to complete the film - obviously a big chunk was rewritten and reworked (we all knew that going in), and to pull a film that still can stand on its own legs out of such a tragedy is a testament to not only the entire cast and crew, but writer Chris Morgan... he no doubt gets a pass for any unevenness this film has - but i expect the eventual Furious 8 to have a much tighter story.

3.) As the series goes along and the action gets more and more overblown - the superhuman ability that the characters seem to possess gets more and more laughable..... the drive off the cliff that Dom does with the girl isn't as bad as i think people make it out to be - the car was supposed to have a heavily reinforced roll cage and armor - if properly strapped with a 5 point harness, one could, in theory, be able to walk away from a crash like that - i've seen professional rally drivers get in worse crashes and walk away with only bruises..... but the end fight between Dom and Deckard? boys are clubbing each other in the face with metal - no blood? no bruising? no concussions?? - it also didn't help that Dom stomps the ground like the incredible Hulk to cause the garage to cave in around Deckard... oof..

4.) While I love action, I think the series has reached it's zenith at the moment - almost like how Bond reached peaks with YOLT, MR, or DAD.. i think for the next Fast movie, they should really make an effort to reign back some of the over the top silliness, and bring the action a bit back down to earth... they can have big action set pieces, but bring them back down to reality a bit.... if it's one thing this series can do, is take a tip from Bond, don't be afraid to scale some films back and but a little more emphasis back into the story and characters than just overblown action..

with all that being said... i really enjoyed the movie - especially the parachuting onto the mountain action scene - i thought it was really well done.. even with my above thoughts, observations, and concerns, i still thought Furious 7 was a solid entry into the franchise... not as great as the original or Fast Five, but it's above average.. i liked it as much if not a little better than the last film.. I thought the ending tribute to Paul Walker was tastefully done and very touching - i could not fight back the tears when watching it, and i think it gives us fans of the series and of the man himself a chance to say goodbye, and let him ride off into the sunset..
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited April 2015 Posts: 1,257
    Off to see it now. I'll report back later tonight.

Well I'm pissed! They didn't show the SPECTRE teaser before my viewing. That was half of the reason I decided to go!

The other half was to see Paul Walker's send off. I'm not gonna lie, I got a bit choked up. It was very nicely done.

As for the movie itself, I enjoyed it. I think it was a bit too long though, something should have been cut out.

These movies are just junk food for the brain. They're just a bunch of over the top action, a few good laughs, and a lot of female butts. Can't go wrong with that.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    DRush76 wrote: »
    It was fun, entertaining and rather stupid in several scenes. I forgot that Paul Walker was into martial arts.
    He was, if I recall correctly, a master of Brazilian Jujitsu.
    But the scene you refer to was shot by his brother Cody

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I just saw it.

I didn't get the SP trailer either (bummed about that).

I'm not really a die-hard fan of this series, although I've seen all of them in the theatre and don't mind them. I like the first one and the fifth one best.

This one was really overblown. I think the action was way too over the top and CGI infested (in that bad blurry way when you can really tell it's CGI - eg. there is a CGI scene on a high floor in a skyscraper in the Middle East for instance, which can't hold a candle to the 'real' one that it cribbed from in MI4). There are also more explosions, flying cars & dangling bodies in this than almost any other movie I've seen before (including anything from Marvel) and yet I didn't feel any sense of tension or concern for any of the characters on the screen. It was like watching a video game (or in some cases, a bad rap video) with live actors. It also suffers from sped up swoosh camera work to introduce a new scene (is that still cool? I thought that was already uncool when DAD used it 13 yrs ago?)

As an aside, I don't ever want a James Bond movie to 'up' the action quotient in this manner in order to get to a higher box office take, in Asia or anywhere else! I'll take the CR Aston flip & the QoS shaky cam chase over any of the chases I saw today, and I hope the much touted SP car chase in Rome blows this away without any CGI.

If this is what it takes to pull in +$140m on opening weekend these days, and to appeal to the action hungry Asian audience, then I'm deeply concerned - If it makes $1bn, then it's truly a sad day.

The highlight was Nathalie Emmanuel's Halle Berry/Ursula Andress moment. She's going places.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I really like this franchise, but it seems that since the 4th one in 2009 they are trying to amp the action and scope more and more and more. My favorite is the 5th one. The 6th is epic too, but I started thinking some of the action was 'too much'. Not so on the first viewing (first time I saw Furious 6 I was blown away), but the more I watch it the more the action scenes, especially the last 30 mins is just too much. I cheer for the first 10 mins of the airplane sequence, and then i start to cringe. Furious 7 seems even more OTT. I haven't seen it yet but I am sure it will blow my socks off, however I fear the same thing happens with this one too, that some of the action gets stale after the 3rd or 4th rewatch.

No matter what I think of Skyfall's plot problems, one thing for sure is that the action scenes in that film are still as breathtaking after seeing the film for the 10th time than the first time in the cinema in 2012.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I just saw it.

I didn't get the SP trailer either (bummed about that).

I'm not really a die-hard fan of this series, although I've seen all of them in the theatre and don't mind them. I like the first one and the fifth one best.

This one was really overblown. I think the action was way too over the top and CGI infested (in that bad blurry way when you can really tell it's CGI - eg. there is a CGI scene on a high floor in a skyscraper in the Middle East for instance, which can't hold a candle to the 'real' one that it cribbed from in MI4). There are also more explosions, flying cars & dangling bodies in this than almost any other movie I've seen before (including anything from Marvel) and yet I didn't feel any sense of tension or concern for any of the characters on the screen. It was like watching a video game (or in some cases, a bad rap video) with live actors. It also suffers from sped up swoosh camera work to introduce a new scene (is that still cool? I thought that was already uncool when DAD used it 13 yrs ago?)

As an aside, I don't ever want a James Bond movie to 'up' the action quotient in this manner in order to get to a higher box office take, in Asia or anywhere else! I'll take the CR Aston flip & the QoS shaky cam chase over any of the chases I saw today, and I hope the much touted SP car chase in Rome blows this away without any CGI.

If this is what it takes to pull in +$140m on opening weekend these days, and to appeal to the action hungry Asian audience, then I'm deeply concerned - If it makes $1bn, then it's truly a sad day.

The highlight was Nathalie Emmanuel's Halle Berry/Ursula Andress moment. She's going places.

Don't forget one important thing here. This was a send-off movie commemorating Paul Walker. Like "The Dark Knight" and Heath Ledger's passing, also this particular 7th "Furious"-film had this emotional resonating aura. And make no mistake, that element makes the difference between a very good €850 Million global box office result or an insane $1.1 Billion Dollar gross. So, no man overboard yet.

One last thing, I did think this movie was also emotionally resonant in a believable way. Themes like family values and brotherhood are a driving force of the franchise, and were even more visible with this 7th film. The scenes between Jordana Brewster and Paul Walker were evoking that feel. And then there's this collage at the very end, where Walker's heavenly white car and Diesel's grey muscle car each go in separate directions. It was truly the "OHMSS-variant of the "Furious"-franchise for me.

Paul Walker will be greatly missed.
    No matter what I think of Skyfall's plot problems, one thing for sure is that the action scenes in that film are still as breathtaking after seeing the film for the 10th time than the first time in the cinema in 2012.

Skyfall has been criticized way too much really for having a "lack of action". Comparing SF with "Furious 7" makes you realize this.

I agree with you that the action in SF is perhaps not that memorable, it does give me more "real" goosebumps. For instance the short car chase in the PTS, between Bond's Land Rover and Patrice's Audio A5 coupé. The moment when those policemen are ragged down by Patrice, and when all those people at the Bazaar start screaming, you actually feel like you are experiencing a real terrorist attack. I really like that.

So that action is more realistic, has more emotional gravita and really adds more to the plot.

That's off course way different with "Furious 7". BUT, for such overblown "action for the sake of action" we now have the Furious-franchise. Let Bond have its own kind of action. Diversity between action franchises is a lovely thing. So you have something to choose; something that suits your emotional mood on any given day ;-).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2015 Posts: 15,686
    @Gustav_Graves in terms of 'action for the sake of action' I found that in the Mission Impossible films the action is still as breathtaking as the first time I've seen the film. For F&F the first 5 work very well, it's just that the 6th one, it was starting to get way too much, even for F&F standards. Furious 7 looks even more epic in the action department, so I'm sure it will knock my socks off the first time I see it, but on the rewatch I fear some of the action will get stale.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    @Gustav_Graves, I agree that the movie did have some emotional resonance due to Walker's passing (although the acting was average at best) and the family theme started in earlier movies was effectively expounded on here as well (both in terms of the main villains' motivations as well as the heroes').

Having said that however, I still think this is a textbook way how not to do action. It really had no effect on me at all - I did not feel a bit of tension throughout all those amazing CGI stunts. There was more tension in the Patrice/Bond elevator encounter in SF than all of FF7.

So if this movie makes $1bn for the action, rather than Walker's passing, it's sad - especially if it motivates others to go this route for $$ - I certainly hope not.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 3,160
    The first four F&F movies didn't really rock my world. Came off as average action flicks. I love the last three, though.
    11161341_1272589912764065_7184944033656646862_n.png?oh=584d0c7ac0d610dd1be8592066cdc3be&oe=5597F87C&__gda__=1440643397_d8ad521974a36d4c2d3b42ac348d77e3
    So fast 7 made $1 billion in just 17 days!!!!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Just found out. Quite a stellar achievement, that. Paul would be proud. Can't wait to see this film myself soon, but first, I must do a marathon retrospective of the franchise.
    Just found out. Quite a stellar achievement, that. Paul would be proud. Can't wait to see this film myself soon, but first, I must do a marathon retrospective of the franchise.

It's insane really. I predicted a plus 1 Billion Dollar result. But at this stage it can also battle "Avengers 2", meaning that "Furious 7" truly is speeding towards $1.5 Billion worldwide. 2nd place at the global box office is now seriously in reach for "Furious 7".
    So sad. This will lead to - most likely - many less well made action films. On the horizon: Action, action and...action. :-O