Comments about changes to user interface, features, etc

MI6MI6 Administrator
edited March 2011 in MI6 Headlines & Feedback Posts: 677
Please use this thread to comment on the changes notified on this page:
http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/262/changes-to-mi6-community-user-interface-features-etc

If you experience any unwanted behaviour, unexpected results, etc, of just have a better idea on how it may have been done or improved, please comment here.

Comments

I can't find the "link" you're talking about. Where exactly is the clickable link?
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    ...Click on the title of any unread topic and you'll be "jumped" to the first unread post.
    It's working great so far. It's a lot easier to get back into threads once you've fallen off.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,986
    Good work, just tried a few myself, it jumped right to page 6 of a discussion where I had 17 unread posts. Well done indeed! =D>
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    That's fantastic.
    We all knew there would be teething problems. And obviously we've got a long way to go. But these constant improvements are making this easier and easier to accept as the new home, and enjoy.
    Great work guys. Thanks.
    ^:)^
    I don't have promblem with the changers it O'right with me. :)
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 114
    Some brilliant improvements there, thoroughly needed and glad you guys heard us out. Really lifts the place up, so cheers. Also think that left hand space has a lot of potential.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,882
    Bravo, excellent work indeed. =D>
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting DarthBork: Some brilliant improvements there, thoroughly needed and glad you guys heard us out. Really lifts the place up, so cheers. Also think that left hand space has a lot of potential.
    We sure do. These improvements are just the beginning. I'll try to compile a list of Known Issues from what's been mentioned in the Suggestions thread and post it (large issues down to tiny concerns), and from that the admins will post some kind of Backlog they're working on if you will.

The beauty of this architecture is how easy it is to modify. I'm sure many members will already appreciate the pagination links up top, less posts per discussion (30), and the list of participants in a discussion, but I especially like the dynamic linking which brings users to their first unread post of the thread :-bd
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Well done to all involved. It's very illuminating to see problems being fixed at such an early stage of development, to hear there are many more on the way is also exciting. I can't wait to learn more about what they may be so I'd love to see this, in time, be posted.

I think nearly all the improvements suggested in the 'Feedback' thread should be implemented over time, so once they all have been maybe some old members will give this place a look in.

Background colours (I'd love shades of blue) would be next on my personal wish list - please?
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    I am digging the page numbers at the top! Good work.
  • Terrific work. :-D I'm almost feeling spoiled with so many updates so quickly, especially after the relatively static nature of the older site.
    @Luds - got to agree, snapping to the last unread post is a little bit of happy genius, thanks guys!
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Yep, great work, guys...! \:D/
    I feel good about this site right now, getting used to some features, discovering features the new site offers, and at the same time seeing improvements seemingly every day. Cool! Great work guys!
  • Site is looking pretty awesome now! Very updated and better than before. Good work guys
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Solid work on the quoting using another color folks, this makes it very clear. Well done.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    The new highlighting of quotes is great, but to avoid too many colors in the graphical scheme, could we not have the same ones as in the right panel? The light blue background as quote background, and the dark blue text as "Quoting member" color. But perhaps that would be too similar to the color of your own posts? Or not distinctive enough? I was just thinking that yellow is a bit too screamy and draws attention to it as if it was an announcement or a warning. Quotes don't need to stand out that much in my opinion.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Great job guys :)
    Only problem I found is when there aren't any unread posts in a thread and you hit the dynamic link, it takes you to the end of the discussion. I think it would be nicer if it took you to the start of it.

And maybe @DiscoVolante is right about the yellow background in quotes, a grey-bluish colour would look better IMO.
  • hi ya, agree with everyone's comments here. However, for some reason, I've lost all my posts and post history. At the mo I'm seen as a new member, I've been rebooted. Any suggestions on how I can recall my previous history please?
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting gt007: Great job guys :-)

Only problem I found is when there aren't any unread posts in a thread and you hit the dynamic link, it takes you to the end of the discussion. I think it would be nicer if it took you to the start of it.
    That's because the discussion was already viewed (read), it brings you to last post in order for a reply. However, a single click of 1 brings you back to the top of the 1st page which should be easy enough.
    Quoting forgotmyusername: hi ya, agree with everyone's comments here. However, for some reason, I've lost all my posts and post history. At the mo I'm seen as a new member, I've been rebooted. Any suggestions on how I can recall my previous history please?
    Please have a look at this discussion and PM me if it doesn't answer your questions.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Impressive, this new look&feel. I'll just go wander 'round for now.. ;)
    Welcome aboard Rossy! :)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Thanks Disco! Great to be 'back'!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I agree with @DiscoVolante on the font colour of the text box. At the moment it's far too in-your-face in my opinion. Light blue or maybe the option to customise which colour we'd like would be better I think. Good work though and keep the changes coming.
  • Did I just create a new account? Am I new here now?
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    LOVING the new updates. So easy to navigate now and the little quirks that seemed so annoying are ironed right out. Great stuff.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting SportzStooge007: Did I just create a new account? Am I new here now?
    Just sent you a PM stooge,
    Please have a look at this discussion and PM me if it doesn't answer your questions.
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,347
    'Mark all as viewed' and polls, great! :) Well done to the staff.

Edit: Just tried out the first mentioned, doesn't seem to work for me.
    Yeah, the "Mark as Viewed" link isn't working anymore.