The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    edited January 2015 Posts: 1,138
    It sounds like he's rating himself the worst Bond in that quote. Given that outside of fan forums Lazenby is generally considered the worst "behind Lazenby" sounds like typical Moore modesty.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Exactly @Sark. And he isn't rating himself better than Dalts or Brozzer, he just doesn't mention them. Typical poor journalism
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Sark wrote: »
    It sounds like he's rating himself the worst Bond in that quote.
    Well then, he IS the worst Bond then, if he says so. Whatever an actor says about himself is true.
    ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    A sad story. Some fools trying to make an issue out of nothing.

Poor Sir Rog shouldn't have to defend himself over something so nonsensical. The man's a Saint for pete's sake!

https://news.yahoo.com/roger-moore-denies-racism-over-bond-comments-164728773.html
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    This is the same man who was upset when his lovemaking scene with Rosie was cut out of LALD. Sensationalism at it's finest.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It's just not Roger's style.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Roger Moore is far too much of a gentleman to let this pass he will of course defend his honour
    And will deal with this so called journalist in due course.
    I'm a big fan of Sir Roger since the 60's Saint,Persuaders. Wanted him as Bond when Sean left and he is the most humble out of all the Bonds with nothing but supportive comments for the others. His work for UNICEF tells you everything you need to know about the guy. These racist slurs are absurd and not worthy of discussion. Hope Rog sues the life out of whoever is responsible. I love Roger Moore. Did I leave anything out?...oh yeah I'm black!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    When it's loveable old Roger Moore everyone leaps to his defence.

When it's Clarkson everyone's frothing at the mouth to get him sacked.

Just saying.
    Not interested in anything to do with Clarkson. Never watched Top Gear or anything he's done,so not bothered whether he'd been kept on or sacked. Put it this way,if there was a Clarkson thread here,I wouldn't be on it.
  • When it's loveable old Roger Moore everyone leaps to his defence.

Just saying.

"Comparaison n'est pas raison"

Just saying.

The comparison is dumb on so many levels I do not know where to begin.
    Agreed @SaintMark.
    Clarkson is an idiot who assaulted someone in front of dozens of witnesses and thought he was bigger than his employer. His termination of contract is a given as it would be for anyone else in the same position.

This story has nothing to do with Roj being painted as a racist. For me it is inconceivable this is the case knowing RM's history and him being such a flawless ambassador for the Bond Brand.
    SaintMark wrote: »

Just saying.

The comparison is dumb on so many levels I do not know where to begin.

Feel free to tell me what Roger meant by 'English-English' then and tell me why it's different to Clarkson's 'slope' comment?

• MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Can anyone provide the quote where he mentions Idris Elba? I don't see him mentioned. If he is saying Cuba Gooding Jr. should not be Bond because Bond is English, well Cuba is not English so i don't see where race comes into play. But maybe I am missing a quote of him mentioning Elba or an interviewer asking him if Elba should be Bond. From the Yahoo article, I don't see any.
    This has annoyed me something shockin! A lifelong fan of Roger and to see his name tarnished like this, I feel like an attack has been made against a family member. The man is a treasure, not a commodity to be used to attract twitter trolls.
  • RC7RC7
    What people are failing to understand about this Roger incident is that fear of appearing racist has lead to him inarticulating his thoughts. The sour-faced offence mongers have jumped on his 'English' comment, which was most probably made because what he really wanted to say was 'James Bond should be white'. But try saying that and getting away with it.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 158
    The man's been in the public eye for near enough 60 odd years and now he's being labelled with this nonsense. Would UNICEF really condone or keep him on as an ambassador for them if he was that way inclined? Ridiculous! Hell of a lot of appreciation on this thread for Sir Rog.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Cultural Marxist/Social Justice Warrior mentality for you. If you have an opinion that is not Politically Correct you are automatically shunned for have an opposite opinion that could be considered controversial in their eyes.

I'm with Rog on this one.
    He's been asked a question and answered it as best he could and with honesty. Sad thing about this is if Idris did get the role Roger would be the first one who'd offer support (as he's done with the other Bonds) but then people would think he was doing it to cover his a***. I wouldn't have wanted RM playing Shaft or Blade for obvious reasons. I hope this "non-story" blows over quickly and sanity prevails. :)
    Just caught up on this "controversy" the media have seemed to create concerning Moore's comments on Elba.

For God's sake, really.
    It's the classic tale of 'old bloke tries too hard to be politically correct for fear of being labelled racist'. Reminds me of when Hansen made a comment about 'coloured' a few years back.

Still I wonder whether there would be this outpouring of support had Nigel Farage or Luis Suarez said this?

But I guess when he has spent so many years being such a nice bloke I guess Rog has amassed plenty of credit in the bank.
    Yeah its just the latest "Racist celebrity of the week" shaming. Benedict Cumberbatch said the word "colored" and he was instantly called out, Sean Penn joked about Inarritu's green card at the Oscars, obviously he's a total racist too, all that volunteer work he did in Haiti should have been a dead giveaway, now Roger is the villain of the week. Don't worry, it'll be someone else in a few days.
    Well until Roger starts pinching a black man's skin or biting people he'll have my support. I'm a Utd fan so the Suarez/Evra situation was not a pleasant thing. I take your point though @TheWizardOflce. I think if the media can try to trip you up and goad you into saying something you didn't mean to say especially when you're old then they have their story.
  • I've seen the Paris Match paper. It's in French, and in French it doesn't sound racist, funny to talk about this while in another thread some discuss about translated subtitles...

Well, as you can guess, it's much ado about nothing. It's not even part of the interview per se. It's the classic tidbit where you see photos of Connery, Dalton, Brosnan, Craig, and there are quotes from Roger about them, that are not probably taken from the interview itself (ie : probably a filler by the editor). And then under the photo of Idris Elba, there's the comment about Cuba Gooding Junior, and the "infamous" line about despite having being played by a Scotsman, an Irishman, etc.. it should be played by an English man. Roger Moore probably wasn't asked anything about Elba during the interview (as he explained on his twitter).

Now all those who think that Europe lives under a shroud of Political Correctness that ties our hand against the Islam will try to recruit Roger as a victim of PC. It's a victim of translation and of an editor, rather !
    As many of you know, Roger, on his web site, takes the time to answer questions from fans. I recall, years ago, someone asking him, who alive does he admire that he'd most like to meet. His answer: Nelson Mandela. If Roger has a racist bone in his body, he would not have answered "Nelson Mandela".

As a 25- year volunteer for UNICEF, the money Roger has raised, has gone to benefit the lives of children. Many, maybe most of those children are black. Does anyone honestly think that someone would work for a generation for an organization that benefits black children, if he was a racist?

It is insulting that Roger and his fans have to defend him on this. The people on twitter accusing Roger of being racist, should be ashamed of themselves.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Politically correct assholes. I'm no fan of roger Moore, but I despise the people who are so quick to call other people racists or bigots. Who are they to judge?
    This kind of thing just outrages me because just when someone thinks someone isn't necessarily cut out for something or they don't like them, it's only because of their race. Unfortunately, due to ignorance and the media, the race card will always be in play. How hard is it to understand that you can evaluate someone based on their character regardless of their race?
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC

Just saying.

It turns out that being a kind gentlemen to nearly everyone has its advantages over being generally a dick. Who knew.