The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

Comments

Plus wearing a belt with a suit should be a hanging offense.
    doghouse wrote: »
    Good call. Much prefer suspenders myself.

• edited March 2015 Posts: 1,314
    Why do suits trousers have belt hoops?
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Why do suits trousers have belt hoops?

Plenty don't
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Those are for the safety harnesses.
    Ha.
    I know he is meant to be elegant, but is James Bond supposed to be a model or something? Surely he does not have to be completely flawless/uncontroversially elegant clothes.

Now, is he the only one wearing clothes in the movie? Because there are other characters too. I think now with the trailer out and all these pics, we can/should discuss them too.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I know he is meant to be elegant, but is James Bond supposed to be a model or something?

Previous era.
    It's difficult to see much from the trailer but the casual stuff looks interesting.
    But plenty do....
  • chipstickschipsticks NOT on TheDanielCraigForum where they think know Daniel Craig personally and Léa and Monica are ugly

Why Bond Girls Are Totally Going To Kick Ass In ‘SPECTRE’
    And other mind-blowing secrets we learned on the set of the upcoming Bond flick.

Bond girls get a bad wrap for their lack of substance. Usually, they’re pretty stock characters who add relatively little to the story. But “SPECTRE” is changing the nature of that relationship for the better. Bond will finally have equal companions by his side, according to costume designer Jany Temime.

“Twenty years ago, every Bond girl was dressed up very sexy, and they all wore evening dresses and you could see their boobs,” she told MTV News. “Now, a Bond girl has to be much more sophisticated, she has to be clever, she has to be intelligent, she has to have a job, and so she has to have costumes that are much more adaptable.”

Temime’s inspiration for Léa Seydoux’s character Madeleine Swann was Grace Kelly. “I wanted something very simple. Expensively simple, yet strong,” she said.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2118170/spectre-set-secrets/

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

Why so? Not arguing, just curious.

Does a number aesthetically by breaking up the vertical image, plus it causes bunched up trousers because you have to cinch them up. Braces let you wear a nice fitting waist size.

I'm just kidding about the hanging part, but I'm opposed to it from both a visual and comfort perspective.
    In the States, Jos. A. Bank(store of choice for the U.S. Secret Service) used to do brace buttons on most of their suits as standard fare. They stopped doing that a few years ago. For Brooks Brothers, I believe they still do the brace buttons on a few models.

I wonder if the question of cuffed pants has changed in the Bond movies over the years?

Does a number aesthetically by breaking up the vertical image, plus it causes bunched up trousers because you have to cinch them up. Braces let you wear a nice fitting waist size.

I'm just kidding about the hanging part, but I'm opposed to it from both a visual and comfort perspective.

I agree that belts on suits should be avoided but unless you want to look like Charlie Chaplin, avoid the braces/suspenders and go for side fasteners - the real Bond solution!

No doubt the SPECTRE ring will become the new must have accessory for Essex man!
    Doubtless Bulgari will be knocking them out for the shrunken shiny suit brigade. Probably with a nose version for "Irma la not so douce" if she rocks up to support Blofeld.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Now now old chap Villiers that was not called for was it .
    to widen the perspective a bit: am I the only one to notice that black seems to be the new black? Bond wears black, Lucia Sciarra wears black, Hinx wears black, Oberhauser wears black, etc.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Well most people do wear black at a funeral .
  • AVBAVB
    The challenge in styling Bond remains exactly the same and the Craig look has yet to master this.
    Personally, I thing that the current team just don't get it and it's why Craig's Bond is becoming more and more a vehicle for product placement than a man of distinctive, individual style.

Couldn't agree more, Villiers. I think Craig's tenure has been nothing more than a bunch of popular brands foisted upon the man but without any thought as to what Bond should be wearing and why. I like the clothes that he wears in general, but he doesn't wear them naturally per se. Something about his wardrobe seem contrived or out of place.

And yes, I have come round to the fact that his suits just don't fit. One can tell in the candid photos moreso than from on film.

All that said, I like the turtle neck comeback! Anyone know what the outer jacket Bond is wearing in the Mr. White scenes is?
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Well most people do wear black at a funeral .

Of course, but Bond in his operative clothes wears grey/black, Hinx wears black, the people at the meeting all wear black... A nice nod to FRWL me think.
    AVB wrote: »
    I think Craig's tenure has been nothing more than a bunch of popular brands foisted upon the man but without any thought as to what Bond should be wearing and why.

This is actually a societal issues these days bigger than even Bond.
  • AVBAVB

I think Bond's casual style is hugely influenced by the actor's personal preferences. I don't know if this goes for all the actors who played Bond, but it definitely goes for Daniel. And again QOS wins for best outfits.

Quantum-of-Solace-Cardigan-2.jpg

You can see Daniel sporting similar outfits with that exact type of cardigan in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as well as in his day to day life.

The problem with this is that Craig is a very sloppy dresser in 'real life', so if he has a major input into wardrobe then it's not neccesarily a good thing.

• AVBAVB
    edited March 2015 Posts: 97
    I think Craig's tenure has been nothing more than a bunch of popular brands foisted upon the man but without any thought as to what Bond should be wearing and why.

This is actually a societal issues these days bigger than even Bond.

Absolutely. It's bemusing to observe what people in general believe constitutes style.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I think Bond's casual style is hugely influenced by the actor's personal preferences. I don't know if this goes for all the actors who played Bond, but it definitely goes for Daniel. And again QOS wins for best outfits.

Quantum-of-Solace-Cardigan-2.jpg

You can see Daniel sporting similar outfits with that exact type of cardigan in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as well as in his day to day life.

The problem with this is that Craig is a very sloppy dresser in 'real life', so if he has a major input into wardrobe then it's not neccesarily a good thing.

From what I've seen, I'm afraid I have to agree with this last statement, sadly, despite my respect for the man and his undoubted acting capabilities.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 372
    Couldn't agree more with @Villiers53 about Bond's attire.

As for the women; I think costume design has been lacking since Craig's era.
    Kurylenko and Arterton's wardrobes were unglamorous and every other Bongirl has been subjected to either tacky satin prom-gowns or the complete housewife look.

I haven't seen anything striking in the promotional stills or trailer for Spectre but we'll see. It's odd because Jany Temime has done wonderful work for so many others films.
    Moving away from Craig/Bond, for a moment, what you you think of what little we've seen of Waltz?

tumblr_nlzonfWbeX1rv0z1no1_400.jpg

It seems like he's wearing a Janker (a traditional Austrian jacket), with a shirt and tie.
    3er-bild-janker.jpg

A nod to the mao suit?
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 14,797
    JCRendle wrote: »
    Moving away from Craig/Bond, for a moment, what you you think of what little we've seen of Waltz?

tumblr_nlzonfWbeX1rv0z1no1_400.jpg

It seems like he's wearing a Janker (a traditional Austrian jacket), with a shirt and tie.
    3er-bild-janker.jpg

A nod to the mao suit?

I don't know, I thought it was a simple black suit. I like the idea of a Janker, if he is wearing it: not quite the Mao suit, but not very common, so it gives Oberhauser (and Blofeld, if he is indeed Blofeld) a distinctive piece of clothing that sets him aside. it is elegant in an old fashioned way and thus anachronistic.
    tumblr_nlzpkm99oO1rv0z1no1_400.jpg - lighter version
    Looks like it.