The X-Files Discussion Thread

Comments

• Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    edited March 2015 Posts: 299
    timmer wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    timmer wrote: »
    Again, I really hope they do tell us what went down with the 2012 alien invasion, that Mulder seemed so sure was coming in the series finale.

I'm sure they will address this from the word go I would imagine?
    maybe but I wouldn't be surprised if they just conveniently overlooked it, as its now 2015 and it may not jive with what they want to do in the now.

Maybe they set it in 2012? :))

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    http://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/new-x-files-episodes-to-shoot-in-vancouver-smoking-man-confirms-1.2299762

Heres William Davis, founding director of my acting school in Vancouver, talking about the filming of the new episodes in Vancouver and his role as the Smoking Man.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 4,622
    I have watched complete series, plus both movies and even Lone Gunmen spinoff series.
    I have low hopes.
    The original series alien mythology was so dense and so convoluted, I don't know how you continue with it or even convincingly set it aside many years later.
    By now us humans should be all fully colonized, and subservient to our alien masters.
    As of 2012 it was game over.
    Maybe there was a big alien invasion in 2012, and Mulder with help from the Avengers crew fought them off, and we all carried on living alien free lives, in which case Mulder and Scully can re-unite in the present and fight whatever conspiracy threatens us now. Spectre I think is main worry, if the aliens have been chased away.
    Or maybe new series is about Mulder and Scully playing house in a post-alien world.
    Like I said, low hopes. 3:-O
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Would love to get hold of the entire series, one of my favourites. I got the other Carter
    show, Millennium a while ago. Maybe i will watch it this Easter, never saw the whole thing during its run.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2015 Posts: 17,727
    Which episodes had serial killers? I'd be particularly interested in seeing those!
  • Do you think they were inspired by the upcoming Twin Peaks revival?
    Do you think they were inspired by the upcoming Twin Peaks revival?

More than likely - it perhaps suggested that there was still an audience out there for weirdness.

Well chuffed the smoking man returns!

He smokes 100 a day and has died three times already. What strength!
  • RogueAgent wrote: »

Meh. Ian Fleming did it first. On top of his daily bottle of gin.
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University

But Fleming stayed dead. :))

Campbell2 wrote: »

But Fleming stayed dead. :))

Yes, he was all too mortal in that sense.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    At least White doesn't smoke... stopped shaving tho..
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    At least White doesn't smoke... stopped shaving tho..

As he may be blind...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2015 Posts: 15,686
    I'm really interested in these 6 planned episodes, but I never saw the original 9 seasons, so I bought the complete boxset of this show! :D I hope I'll be able to finish it in time, there's a lot of episodes to see. :-c
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    The X Files - the series that got me interested in Sci Fi. I stuck with it to the eng, through its lesser seasons etc. My favourite series of all time and I, for one, am very happy to see it coming back.
    Am I the only one that wonders how they plan on glossing over the final episode set-up that the aliens were on schedule to have us fully colonized by 2012?
    And yes Cigarette Man was 100% killed.
    No wiggle room here.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2015 Posts: 40,368
    I've never read much into this show (I get that it's two FBI agents or something investigating extraterrestrial cases?), and I don't want to now (to avoid spoilers), so for fans of the entire series: thoughts on the show as a whole? Any major weak points? What are its strong points?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2015 Posts: 15,686
    @Creasy47 you really should, I've started watching this show about a month ago, and I'm at season 5 now. The show is 100% gold, Duchovny and Anderson are awesome, the 'monster-of-the-week' episodes have been very interesting, and often very scary (atleast the ones I've seen), as for the episodes concerning the bigger picture of the series, they are simply mindblowing. A must-watch for sure, Creasy47!
    Was quite an addictive show, though lost its way for me when the cast started changing. Agree with another poster the films were not great, the second film was pretty weak. Most likely watch the mini series out of curiosity.
    I just hope SKY don't get their hands on it first like they seem too everything else!
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,151
    It's a Fox show, is it not? Surely, that'd be the channel to get it first?
    I am just thinking about when they come to screen it here in the UK? If my memory serves me right I believe (Forgive the pun! ;)) ) it was shown on BBC2 and the moved to BBC1 for a while until it finished?
    That's true, I first saw The X Files on BBC Two. I am in the UK myself and I was just thinking that as Fox have a UK channel, they'd show it on there. Doesn't do me any favours though.
    That's true, I first saw The X Files on BBC Two. I am in the UK myself and I was just thinking that as Fox have a UK channel, they'd show it on there. Doesn't do me any favours though.

Me neither sadly!
    edited July 2015 Posts: 4,151
    A teaser for The X Files return. Very excited for the return of my favourite series of all time.

A teaser for The X Files return. Very excited for the return of my favourite series of all time.

Ooooh just hearing that music again put a big smile on my face :D
    Was quite an addictive show, though lost its way for me when the cast started changing. Agree with another poster the films were not great, the second film was pretty weak. Most likely watch the mini series out of curiosity.

I felt exactly the same. I was still mostly living at home when it started, but as my parents loved it too, we never missed a show. I think it was on Sunday nights here in the states. But as you note, I lost interest when Duchovny started to slowly bow out as it impacted the dynamics of the show. Anderson is a very talented actress but The Mulder/Duchovny chemistry and Mulder's quest were too much at the heart of the show and they could not replicate it, so the show suffered when they tried to extend it. The way they could swing from a deadly serious, even gruesome ep, and the next week there would be a drop dead hilarious ep with such dry, wacky dialogue that just made you LOL was terrific. It was an incredibly rare elastic kind of show. I hope they can repeat the magic. It's no accident that one of the main production guys on the show was the key guy on Breaking Bad. Talent does sometime rule.

• edited July 2015 Posts: 725
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've never read much into this show (I get that it's two FBI agents or something investigating extraterrestrial cases?), and I don't want to now (to avoid spoilers), so for fans of the entire series: thoughts on the show as a whole? Any major weak points? What are its strong points?

Don't be mislead by the supposed core of the show, the search for Alien life. It's not my thing, but it never interfered with my love of the show's first 4-5 years of eps. It was brilliant. The writing, the Mulder/Scully dynamic. The tension, the insane wit in some of the eps. The wacky plots. Aspects of the show have been much copied, but never really duplicated. Magic in a bottle. Not everyone's cup of tea I guess, but I loved it. Don't waste time on the films. They didn't capture the magic. Just watch the first 4-5 years if you are curious.

Finnish band.