The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

Comments

• DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    edited March 2015 Posts: 805
    As well as the badly fitting suits, I really dislike these tab collars on the shirts. Really ugly, particularly when combined with the silly little tie knot. Just horrible.
  • As well as the badly fitting suits, I really dislike these tab collars on the shirts. Really ugly, particularly when combined with the silly little tie knot. Just horrible.

I don't think they're going for the tab collars this time around. At least not in the Mexico scene.

467445226-daniel-craig-is-seen-filming-spectre-the-new-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7Qd2vS%2fTW0clyy%2bUTIps8CVkz00KlPKzx%2fDTY0qVYZZ4HMVSZphEJcOspHbsXnEg9Vg%3d%3d

But they're going for something worse.

464029940-english-actor-daniel-craig-stands-during-the-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QZN1S7Xzep163kMPk9KK%2fA3DhKWvluD8xbR98quvRrlzs9xMgMlDMUeMRUgowWMtxg%3d%3d

But they're going for something worse.

I'm telling myself the tie pin etc is all about being in character undercover! The picture you refer to is from Rome isn't it with the waistcoat and shades. Least you can't see those shoe buckles.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Can I just mention that we would love it if everyone respected others opinions on such matters as style and fashion. It's great to read these posts and I learn something every day..but we need to keep it civil at all times.
    Thanks guys.

Dear NickyNac,
    I couldn't agree more but I do think you should have said 'guys & gals' particularly after the unprovoked verbal slings and arrows I've had to endure from Blofeld's mate.
    That said, I would appeal for calm — particularly from those 'Honey I Shrunk The Suit' aficionados who clearly don't know their John Lobbs from Shinola!
    Salutations,
    Villiers53

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    Can I just mention that we would love it if everyone respected others opinions on such matters as style and fashion. It's great to read these posts and I learn something every day..but we need to keep it civil at all times.
    Thanks guys.

Dear NickyNac,
    I couldn't agree more but I do think you should have said 'guys & gals' particularly after the unprovoked verbal slings and arrows I've had to endure from Blofeld's mate.
    That said, I would appeal for calm — particularly from those 'Honey I Shrunk The Suit' aficionados who clearly don't know their John Lobbs from Shinola!
    Salutations,
    Villiers53

Dear villiers
    Thank you for those perfect examples of exactly what I was talking about. Name calling, and lack of respect for others opinions.

And if you feel the need to pick this up please move to private messages.

Honestly, if you would take a minute to see the gaps in your own knowledge, which are substantial, and how you are conflating opinion and fact,it would probably help give perspective and make all the dialogue a lot more constructive. Approaching it as condescending to people who disagree isn't helpful at all.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited March 2015 Posts: 7,518
    He's a self-parody, hiding behind a shield of knowledge despite the fact that there are plenty of members here who seem just as if not much more knowledgable than he, and are far more interesting to hear from ( @doghouse, @bondjames, and many others).
    I know I don't participate much in this thread, but I'm here reading all the time because the topic really interests me (I just don't know as much as you guys). It's frustrating to see one member constantly bringing it down to the grade 5 playground level.
    doghouse wrote: »

Honestly, if you would take a minute to see the gaps in your own knowledge, which are substantial,

doghouse I need your help. Could you identify them for me?

I just don't know as much as you guys
    C'est vrai Nicky!
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,552
    @Villiers53 Can you at least admit that, just because other members have different opinions to you, that it doesn't mean they're wrong? Your opinion is not the be all and end all here. Even Savile Row tailors have different opinions on style, they have different techniques, different cuts etc.

If you go to one high end tailor, he may have a different opinion on what works for you to another high end tailor on the row.

What good points that you present on fashion and style are being overshadowed by your attitude and mocking of others. Respect is earned, and the more you act like your word is law, the less people will respect you and the less weight will be given to your opinion, however high informed.
    JCRendle wrote: »
    @Villiers53 Can you at least admit that, just because other members have different opinions to you, that it doesn't mean they're wrong?

Of course they aren't wrong. When have I ever insinuated this?
    Debate and strong, informed opinion should be the life blood of the thread.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,552
    @Villiers53 Can you at least admit that, just because other members have different opinions to you, that it doesn't mean they're wrong?
    Thank you. However, debate and strong, informed opinion shouldn't be marred by petty insults and name calling, it lowers the tone of, what should be, an informative thread.
    Thank you. However, debate and strong, informed opinion shouldn't be marred by petty insults and name calling, it lowers the tone of, what should be, an informative thread.
    I'm sorry but you still haven't answered my question - When have I ever insinuated that people are wrong to express an opinion?

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Listen very carefully for I shall this only once everyone has an opinion and they are allowed to express it but not ram it down other peoples throats those here who have been here for a while. And are old enough to Know Better will kindly take it on board and act accordingly ;)
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Is anything of substance happening in this thread? No? I guess I'll check back tomorrow.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'm sorry but you still haven't answered my question - When have I ever insinuated that people are wrong to express an opinion?

I think the main problem is the name calling and off-topic bashing of other members. How does all that fit into "debate and strong, informed opinion" on Wardrobe/Style?
    You haven't said that they are wrong to express an opinion, but you have put others down for their opinions.
    Anybody with a molecule of sartorial sense will see that this is wrong.
    when some member had already said that the outfit wasn't so bad.
    Please don't.
    He looks awful.
    as well several comments to members such as @Germanlady.
    The fascinating aspect of this is the attempt to suppress free and passionate debate.
    People should be encouraged to say whatever they want.
    IVNSHO, the emotional statements have invariably come from the sartorially challenged or those that have had a sense of humour bypass .Their main aim seems to try and uphold any misguided move by eon or their associates or to dress our hero as a game show host.
    In these circumstances, it won't come as a huge surprise that Villiers53 will continue to express himself as he sees fit and fit and to carry the torch of good taste through the land of the Philistines!
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 260
    IVNSHO,

Remove the N and you might be on to something.
    @villiers
    While Sean looked great in his '60s suits, what did you make of his concessions to '70s style in DAF?

As for Craig, I didn't much like any of his looks in CR, especially not the blue snuggers.
    He looked good enough in QoS. No complaints. Suits seemed to hang a little more naturally. He was less bulked in the chest I think
    Thought his suits looked too tight in SF. Took note of that right away when the first photos came out.

As for SP, no complaints. Like the suited looks from both Rome and what we've been seeing so far in Mexico.
    As for me I claim no sartorial expertise, however I do have a closet full of expensive, very conservative, suits thanks to a very wealthy corporate director type relative
    He spends a fortune on suits. His wife lets me pick thru his discards, when it's time to clean out the closets.
    They fit well enough
    Good deal, as his own kids won't wear dad's stuffy suits. They like the new fashions.
    Me, I like the price and the dark expensive conservative look. :D
    doghouse wrote: »
    IVNSHO,

Remove the N and you might be on to something.

Doghouse you tight suited intellectual!democracy
    timmer wrote: »
    @villiers
    While Sean looked great in his '60s suits, what did you make of his concessions to '70s style in DAF?

As for Craig, I didn't much like any of his looks in CR, especially not the blue snuggers.
    He looked good enough in QoS. No complaints. Suits seemed to hang a little more naturally. He was less bulked in the chest I think
    Thought his suits looked too tight in SF. Took note of that right away when the first photos came out.

As for SP, no complaints. Like the suited looks from both Rome and what we've been seeing so far in Mexico.
    As for me I claim no sartorial expertise, however I do have a closet full of expensive, very conservative, suits thanks to a very wealthy corporate director type relative
    He spends a fortune on suits. His wife lets me pick thru his discards, when it's time to clean out the closets.
    They fit well enough
    Good deal, as his own kids won't wear dad's stuffy suits. They like the new fashions.
    Me, I like the price and the dark expensive conservative look. :D

This is a VERY good question because, in many ways, the concessions to supposed fashion made in DAF, were that era's equivalent of the mistakes that we saw in SF and are in the process of seeing in Spectre. DAF represented the beginning of a dark sartorial period.
    With the exception of early Connery, OHMSS, CR & SF, I'm not particularly a fan of the movies. I prefer and absolutely love Fleming's books and it is that character that I like to see portrayed and concessions to 'trends' wasn't part of his make up at all.
    That said, it's interesting to consider why the early Connery movies have aged so well.
    Next to just about everything else in the canon they stand up. Obviously, the stories and quality of the movies had a huge amount to do with it but so does their timeless classic style.
    Once the flairs started appearing in the '70s, the game was up. Just as it is now with the bum freezer, shrunken suits.
    Men's style is all about the evolution of very small details. Pleats - no pleats — cuffs — no cuffs and so it goes on.
    Men with great style don't stand out. They don't bounce into a room like a peacock. They are very refined and understated and probably wear the same clothes for years because they buy quality not quantity. It's only when you observe them that you see the genius of it.
    Classic examples of this phenomena are Bernard Arnhault, the Chairman & CEO of LVMH and his son, Antoine. Two different generations who manage some of the world's most prestigious brands and who could wear anything they want. Yet,they both remain completely refined and understated and are great examples of male elegance and represent an ethos that I would like to see inform the choices the film makers make for Bond.
    Beyond that I think your own sartorial supply chain sounds like a home run.
    Yes, Sean's pink tie will live on in infamy. ;)
    Another guy that wears suits real well, I think is George Clooney. He can look quite dapper.
    Check out his recent airport film, Up in the Air
    gc-ak.jpg
    Yes, relative does keep me supplied in suits. Very handy. But they mostly hang in the closet, as I don't need them for work, but they are there when needed.
    Unfortunately, wife sold the old golf clubs at last upgrade. I was hoping.
    Haven't quite figured out how to wangle the hand-me-down cars yet.
    I do reciprocate. When he goes on his cruises, he gives me a list of Bond films he wants
    He likes his Bond films.
    I provide the dvds. Doesn't want the blu-rays, as cruise liners apparently don't equip the cabins with blu-ray players. Who knew.
    Another guy that wears suits real well, I think is George Clooney. He can look quite dapper.
    gc-ak.jpg
    Yes, relative does keep me supplied in suits. Very handy. But they mostly hang in the closet, as I don't need them for work, but they are there when needed.
    I do reciprocate. When he goes on his cruises, he gives me a list of Bond films he wants
    He likes his Bond films.
    I provide the dvds. Doesn't want the blu-rays, as cruise liners apparently don't equip the cabins with blu-ray players. Who knew.

No doubt, the Cloonster is a sartorial ace.
    Throughout 'The American' , apart from a pair of dodgy Persols at the beginning, that quickly gave way to Zegna's own shades, he gave an absolute master class as to how an assassin should dress. His casual and formal attire were all great choices and perfect for the environment.
    Zegna did the whole lot and personally, I loved the look.
    He also looked absolutely fabulous in Michael Clayton. The cord jacket in that film was a killer - I searched the globe for it, all to no avail and finally got A&S to make me one.
    On a more general note, Clooney wears a lot of Italian clothes often by - often by Armarni. Personally, I'm not a huge Armarni fan because he doesn't offer bespoke only the famous 'made to measure' service with all its pit falls and I think he has a special studio to dress the great and the good so what we see from Clooney is not 'stock' Armani.
    That said George always looks the dog's bollocks and you'd never catch him bouncing around in one of those tight bum freezer suits - perhaps we should ask him to give DC some advice?

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited March 2015 Posts: 1,727
    The fascinating aspect of this is the attempt to suppress free and passionate debate.
    People should be encouraged to say whatever they want.
    IVNSHO, the emotional statements have invariably come from the sartorially challenged or those that have had a sense of humour bypass .Their main aim seems to try and uphold any misguided move by eon or their associates or to dress our hero as a game show host.
    In these circumstances, it won't come as a huge surprise that Villiers53 will continue to express himself as he sees fit and fit and to carry the torch of good taste through the land of the Philistines!

“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom...”

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Fashion was made to provoke reaction and opinon. I have no doubt Villiers and other whos comments I do not agree with are lovely gentlemen, they must be they are Bond fans. Just because I dont agree with their opinion does not mean I do not like them. I am just not the kind of person who can bite my lip. If someone says something and I think the comment is rediculous I tell them. I dont pussy foot about it. I am Scottish its just in my blood. We are passionate people, hell what do we know about fashion we gave the world kilts!
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    gc-ak.jpg
    He likes his Bond films.

No doubt, the Cloonster is a sartorial ace.
    Throughout 'The American' , apart from a pair of dodgy Persols at the beginning, that quickly gave way to Zegna's own shades, he gave an absolute master class as to how an assassin should dress. His casual and formal attire were all great choices and perfect for the environment.
    Zegna did the whole lot and personally, I loved the look.
    He also looked absolutely fabulous in Michael Clayton. The cord jacket in that film was a killer - I searched the globe for it, all to no avail and finally got A&S to make me one.
    On a more general note, Clooney wears a lot of Italian clothes often by - often by Armarni. Personally, I'm not a huge Armarni fan because he doesn't offer bespoke only the famous 'made to measure' service with all its pit falls and I think he has a special studio to dress the great and the good so what we see from Clooney is not 'stock' Armani.
    That said George always looks the dog's bollocks and you'd never catch him bouncing around in one of those tight bum freezer suits - perhaps we should ask him to give DC some advice?

That suits lappels look sooooo cheap! thats a nasty suit.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883

You took the words right out of my mouth @Villiers53. The actor has a say in this.

I personally don't think Clooney would be caught dead in the SF/possible SP (yet to be confirmed) claustrophobic attire. He always manages to look great in any movie and does have a say in what he wears (he always sports an Omega in his movies for example which is his personal favourite - although he is also a spokesman). He is a perfect example of the importance of tailoring (even though he does wear Armani/Italian often, the cut is generally exceptional and suits his frame always, regardless of the movie or costume designer).

I don't think SC as Bond would either (DAF was an unfortunate anomaly in his tenure but I write that off on the basis that he had given up by then, didn't care and was just banking a cheque for his Scottish charity or whatever - even his toupee was lousy).

Richard Gere is another one who consistently looks great regardless of the movie and I'm sure he has a say in what he wears and how he appears on film. He loves classic Mercedes for instance and drives one at least once in nearly every movie he's in.

So it is possible that DC himself is signing off on these constricting garbs.
    bondjames wrote: »

Richard Gere is another one who consistently looks great regardless of the movie.

No question - Gere is another style guru.
    Another interesting look was Michael Fassbender in 'Haywire'.
    In that movie I thought he did a good job of looking like Fleming's version of Bond - maybe he was using it as an audition to replace DC ?
    In any event, the picture is worth a look if, for nothing else, for the fight scene between
    Fassbender and Gena Carona which is simply tremendous. In fact, the scene is a good example of the way a good suit can move.

• edited March 2015 Posts: 163
    gc-ak.jpg

He can, but he doesn't always. The top is almost always good, but the bottom can be a disaster, with his trousers usually being either too long or too baggy or both. Just something I noticed on many of his red carpet appearances.