The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

Comments

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Yes, that is really done with nonchalence. Wiuld be great, if we had a gif from Connery. Did Moore do it, too?

I just made gifs for the Connery ones too:

http://imgur.com/a/3d0ZJ

:))
    That's great, amigo!!
    Lazenbys is by far the coolest
    Thanks for that. Daniel could throw his beloved paper boy cappy. :D
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Daniel would just toss his hat on the floor in some corner.
    Thanks for that. Daniel could throw his beloved paper boy cappy. :D
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Daniel would just toss his hat on the floor in some corner.

True, he is a tosser ;) but really, its a shame, that modern fashion robs us of this charming scene.
    AVB wrote: »
    As for casual wear, I'd love more polos. Not a fan of Bond in t-shirt, but more of this, without the horrible wide chino however. Craig looks best with a slightly tapered leg.

cr8-main1.jpg

It's amazing how dated CR looks now. Of course if was 10 yrs ago, but still...

I think it still looks good today.
    doghouse wrote: »
    I'm going to pop into Lock this weekend and look at Panamas. This thread got me thinking about it a little.

Lock & Co are a great outfit and have been my hatters for years.
    That said, there are only two styles any self respecting 007 aficionado or any gentleman of style should consider.
    For winter, the classic felt Fedora in grey with a 2.5 inch brim. It's called 'The Prague' in
    their range.
    For summer, their 'classic' Panama.
    Unfortunately when I look at DC off duty sporting his 'Pork Pie' kiss me quick hats from Blackpool, I fear he's a lost clause in the formal hat department!
    Those are both certainly safe choices for those of limited horizons.

doghouse, stay safe and don't get one of those 'Kiss me Quick' Blackpool jobs!

• edited March 2015 Posts: 6,601

Happens, when people, who are old enough to have a looot of past, got stuck there.
    Shame, but maybe not their fault. Worse is, when somebody thinks, he knows all about fashion, when indeed his vision is very limited.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I don't know enough about hats, but I am not impressed with the hats that DC has been wearing personally - they don't seem to suit him all that well as far as I'm concerned. I certainly wouldn't want James Bond (as played by DC) to be seen in any of those (disguise or not)!

Samuel Jackson, as an example, knows how to pull off hats imho.

Happens, when people, who are old enough to have a looot of past, got stuck there.
    Shame, but maybe not their fault. Worse is, when somebody thinks, he knows all about fashion, when indeed his vision is very limited.

Mon Dieu, clearly an English sense of humour is lost on Irma. She always has a "loot" to say.

bondjames wrote: »
    I don't know enough about hats, but I am not impressed with the hats that DC has been wearing personally - they don't seem to suit him all that well as far as I'm concerned. I certainly wouldn't want James Bond (as played by DC) to be seen in any of those (disguise or not)!

He doesn't wear them for their "Beauty" Its his way of trying to be less recognizable. I doubt the effect though.

Villiers53 wrote: »

Mon Dieu, clearly an English sense of humour is lost on Irma. She always has a "loot" to say.

I thought, they told you all about name calling. Another lesson lost on you, it seems. If you can't take critisism, you shouldn't be on a discussion forum and if name calling is all you can think about that's poor. Don't you think?
    BTW - where is your body Bentley?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Stick to sharing your fashion knowledge.

I thought, they told you all about name calling. Another lesson lost on you, it seems. If you can't take critisism, you shouldn't be on a discussion forum and if name calling is all you can think about that's poor. Don't you think?
    BTW - where is your body Bentley?

"body" fraulien Irma? What "critisism"? Achtung fraulien Irma Bunt!

Stick to sharing your fashion knowledge.
    NickTwentyTwo who are you in this fashion zoo to be issuing instructions?

Well said. By the way, it's quite amusing to read the conversation between Villiers53 and doghouse. They really do deserve each other.
    I don't know enough about hats, but I am not impressed with the hats that DC has been wearing personally - they don't seem to suit him all that well as far as I'm concerned.

I couldn't agree with that more. Daniel should really lose those hats.

I am not sure that being old chains you to it, there are quite a few very stylish old guys, and it's generally accepted that there are a lot more old stylish men than young ones, which I agree with (and I'm not even old). It's the narrow reactionary philosophy that there is one (randomly selected I might add) period when everything was "correct", which is a hilarious assertion as it's a constant evolution. Don't think you will see too many people advocating wigs and breeches and time soon.

The mens lounge suit is certainly an anomaly though. It's practically unchanged for 150 years. The middling details like lapel width and trouser tightness are just quibbles in the big picture. You could wear an Edwardian lounge suit today on the streets of London and no one would notice. The trousers may actually be even tighter than the tight craze of the 2009-2012 period.

I think it's just the hats he is wearing. They are obviously not Bond hats, that is very clear, but I think for Craig personally, he needs more brim for his head shape. You can see where it would work on him with the proper hat, though I still can see a situation Bond could do it without looking like an anachronism, except the aforementioned Panama in warm situations.
    @doghouse. Sure, there are old guys and there are old guys.

And again, DC is not wearing his caps for fashion. ;)
    @doghouse. Sure, there are old guys and there are old guys.

True. I hope to never be the old type.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 117
    Quick question, is there an explanation, possibly from someone who have read the script, for James Bond to be wearing a watch on a NATO strap....or just a nod to previous films? Not entirely sure I would wear a NATO strap with a suit hence the question.
    Regarding Skyfall's wardrobe...

JCRendle wrote: »

I love Goldfinger and Thunderball's efforts, and the touching second throw from OHMSS.
    Thanks for posting that, @JCRendle! I wasn´t aware Moore did it so often! Clearly I have to watch the films more often. I agree that just for the sake of such a scene Craig should have a hat. Like Moore, he doesn´t need to wear it.

I have no doubt that Craig could pull off a hat even as James Bond, but I find his off-duty wardrobe mildly questionable, not just the hats. How he´s not to be recognized like that is also not very clear to me, do many English men run around like that?

I do like the builder look though the hat in the first foto gives him ;-).

boldfinger wrote: »

Unfortunately, they do.
    As this photo illustrates, we are not immune from bad taste and this is why sartorial comparisons between the late, great Steve McQueen and DC are laugh out loud funny.
    McQueen always dressed in an age appropriate fashion. Sadly, he checked out when he was fifty so we never got to see how he would have handled his later years but I imagine it would have been with great aplomb.
    Happily, us Brits have got some sartorial aces, Bill Nighy and Bryan Ferry always look great and Clive Owen can look good when he's not emptying the bins.
    But hey, we have our duffers too but happily, lederhosen haven't hit Savile Row.

Looking forward to being back on the Row next week. Among a few other things, having a button one midnight blue velvet blazer done with peak lapels to use at cocktail parties and the like. Stoked!

Could you post a pic, once its finished? Sounds good.

A bit like this?

http://sassypriscilla.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c504353ef01127905b5cb28a4-320wi

http://cdn.styleforum.net/6/69/350x700px-LL-69692526_ESQ-05-christoph-walz-mdn.jpeg

Sorry for awful pic, was trying to show the luminosity of the silk velvet, but here it is in fitting room.

imag0318-jpg.5336
    Great you didnt forget it. What interests me now is, what do you wear with it? I mean a shirt with a tie or rather a shawl? I would imagine shawl? What colour. BTW, I always love the inside of well made clothes.
    The fact it's made as a blazer rather than smoking or dinner jacket gives it a lot of flexibility. Mostly I think charcoal trousers with fine white shirt and velvet bow tie is going to be the most common form. But you could even do jeans and a decent white cotton shirt with. The lining is a black and blue paisley, which I am super happy with.
    Thanks. Enjoy it and I wish you many opportunities to wear it. :)
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 4,622
    I nominate both @doghouse and @villiers to dress the next 007 actor. Bravo!

Personally, I think all Bond actors should be suited in Sean's '60s hand-me-downs.
    Be like Sean! Classic, timeless look!