The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

Comments

• edited March 2015 Posts: 260
    Germanlady wrote: »

I am sure, he would be the first to admit, that his action scenes were a walk in the park compared to todays. Its 30 for DC and 30 for the stunt man. You may dislike, what you see, but the effort they discussed in the two quotes I posted, surely makes sense, if you try to achieve the best result. Sure, those who are still here, find, that the result is not satisfying, but fact is, they give it their all to produce quality. In their eyes it was, in others not. The fact remains and I am grateful they put so much thought in it. Like others, I have said many posts ago, that Lindy Hemmings for QOS did it best and they should have kept her, but a new game is on and I liked, what I saw so far. What is Dandyish for some, is chic for others. I am looking forward to whats next. He wears a Tux in the Comic Relief, so that could be it.

I don't think anyone has minimized their effort, it's the necessity that is being discussed. Making a different cut for a motorcycle makes no sense. He should look like a guy in a suit on a motorcycle, with the attendant ankles showing and jacket pulling. It's actually less realistic how they have done it.

As far as the "dandy" word, it always provokes all sorts of preciousness, and honestly there hasn't been anything even in the same hemisphere as dandyism in any Bond film that I have ever seen. As I mentioned earlier, I don't know how some of these people are able to dress given how far they have narrowed down what is acceptable, it must be terribly oppressive. When Bond shows up in purple mohair, then I'll be concerned about dandyism!
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    doghouse wrote: »
    If you suddenly decide that you need six suits of the same style, bespoke would need two or three months to turn that around.

Most Row houses could do six in a couple weeks fairly easily. It's doing 60 that are a problem.
    Sorry doghouse but I don't know anybody on the row that could turn around six in a couple of weeks. A show business friend of mine who is a staunch regular at a particular house orders a few of the same model when he tours and credits the house in his PR and tour materials - price, the same as everybody else. Lead time, six weeks to two months.

I hope you realize neither of those statements has anything to do with whether or not a Row house could bang out six suits in two weeks. They absolutely can. Most have workshops full of tailors that divide the labor. If you want anecdotal evidence, I have personally seen many commissions done in sub two weeks.
    If you suddenly decide that you need six suits of the same style, bespoke would need two or three months to turn that around.

Most Row houses could do six in a couple weeks fairly easily. It's doing 60 that are a problem.
    Sorry doghouse but I don't know anybody on the row that could turn around six in a couple of weeks. A show business friend of mine who is a staunch regular at a particular house orders a few of the same model when he tours and credits the house in his PR and tour materials - price, the same as everybody else. Lead time, six weeks to two months.

I hope you realize neither of those statements has anything to do with whether or not a Row house could bang out six suits in two weeks. They absolutely can. Most have workshops full of tailors that divide the labor. If you want anecdotal evidence, I have personally seen many commissions done in sub two weeks.

Good luck with that one doghouse.
    If you asked them at A&S, they'd laugh you out of the door. Even if you were James Bond or HRH!

What do we think of bond turning up to moneypenny's office in a hat. Trilby maybe ?
    Matt007 wrote: »
    What do we think of bond turning up to moneypenny's office in a hat. Trilby maybe ?

We can hope! I think Craig could pull off a hat quite well. Doubt it happens though.
    He could go to Jamaica and come back with a pork pie hat from his trip. When is Bond going to return to Jamaica? It's been too long.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California

We can hope! I think Craig could pull off a hat quite well. Doubt it happens though.

Well Craig wears hats all the time:

http://www.celebrity-gossip.net/images/thumbnails/daniel-craig-3179-8.jpg

http://cdn3.gossipcenter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/story_header/photos/daniel-craig-062412sp.jpg

Whether or not his Bond should I guess is the real question.

http://cdn3.gossipcenter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/story_header/photos/daniel-craig-062412sp.jpg

Exactly the reason I think he could pull it off in the movie. I just have doubts they are gonna go that route.
    A lot if my co workers are 20-30 and wear hats. Vintage trilby/ fedora. Looks cool.
    A lot if my co workers are 20-30 and wear hats. Vintage trilby/ fedora. Looks cool.

Work with hipsters, eh? ;)

• edited March 2015 Posts: 1,314
    Graphic designer in london. How'd you guess? ;)
    Graphic designer in london. How'd you guess? ;)

Too easy :D
    I want to hear some opinions, would it be odd to see Craig wearing a Trilby or a similar style hat in a Bond film? Would it seem too out of place or forced in this era?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    DC seems to be able to pull it off well, but not even he can bring the hat back into style. I vote no, it would seem 100% out of place and forced.

Men's hats are cool and all, but they only seem natural in an environment that fits that fashion, aka not 2015, for better or worse.
    The trilby would not work. In Morocco I could see a moderate brim Panama looking ok.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Wearing a hat in 2015 unless the weather demands it is the mark of a fashionista or eccentric.
    Sark wrote: »
    Wearing a hat in 2015 unless the weather demands it is the mark of a fashionista or eccentric.

Craig looked daft just wearing that chaufeur's hat in SF. I don't think he needs a trilby. May be Dalton or Brozzer could have carried it off?

Frankly, it looked a little silly even in the Connery era.

What about Laz's hunting hat in OHMSS?

Nah, generally hats, much as I love them, are not a good idea.
    Well the chaufer's hat made sense within the plot. That I don't have a problem with. Bond wearing one simply for style purposes is what I'd object to.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 1,257
    Well the chaufer's hat made sense within the plot. That I don't have a problem with. Bond wearing one simply for style purposes is what I'd object to.

Yeah, the chauffeur hat was just a disguise. I have no problem with that. In fact, I actually liked it.

As for any other fashionable hat, the only reason I would like to see one is so he could toss it on the hat rack. That unfortunately would probably feel too forced.

zhwehTa.gif

Yeah, the chauffeur hat was just a disguise. I have no problem with that. In fact, I actually liked it.

As for any other fashionable hat, the only reason I would like to see one is so he could toss it on the hat rack. That unfortunately would probably feel too forced.

zhwehTa.gif

Lazenby pulls that off with such ease and smoothness. Bravo, really! I'm immediately convinced he does that everyday!
    And he doesn't pause at all to make it sure lands. He just knows it will.
    Yes, that is really done with nonchalence. Wiuld be great, if we had a gif from Connery. Did Moore do it, too?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

This.

Mon Dieu - when I look at these pictures I can't help but think I've underestimated the scale of this mission!

• edited March 2015 Posts: 1,552
    Yes, that is really done with nonchalence. Wiuld be great, if we had a gif from Connery. Did Moore do it, too?
    Not a gif, but there's this...

I love Goldfinger and Thunderball's efforts, and the touching second throw from OHMSS.
    Thanks for that. All of them, charming little scenes.
    JCRendle wrote: »

I love Goldfinger and Thunderball's efforts, and the touching second throw from OHMSS.

Brilliant. Connery was so cool in DN & FRWL - he absolutely had it nailed.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Excellent stuff. Bring the hat back just for these scenes I say. Legendary.

Imho, although SC is by far the coolest, Lazenby's throw is just amazing. Textbook. I wonder how many times they did that to get it so perfect and effortless.

Once, obviously.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Once, obviously.

Naturally.

I'm going to pop into Lock this weekend and look at Panamas. This thread got me thinking about it a little.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 1,257

I just made gifs for the Connery ones too:

http://imgur.com/a/3d0ZJ